Bright Lights and Good Cheer

Thevshi

With another quick handshake, he was moving on through the crowd, smiling, nodding, and waving at people as he went. Finally, he ended up next to Maxima, who he had to look up at a bit. That didn't deter him from offering her a handshake.

"Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! I don't believe we've had the pleasure of being introduced! You can call me Gabriel."

"Trust me, you're not alone in that boat." chuckled Maxima as she stooped a little to shake Gabriel's hand.  "The name's Maxima; I'm glad to make your acquaintence, and Happy Holidays to you as well." replied Maxima as she flashed another smile.  "I may have to lean on you a bit here, I don't really know anyone here." she confessed.  "I'm just kind of nervous about being, well, here." she continued gesturing around the Hall.  Maxima honestly had no idea why she was telling Gabriel all this.  Maybe it was nerves, maybe she just needed to get this off her chest, or maybe she just felt she could trust Gabriel. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreshadow

Foreshadow watched the visible tuff of smoke leaving the chimney.  It was a lavish display and the costumed acrobat expected as much in a celebration hosted in Freedom Hall.  Indoor snow would have been preferable but there was enough of that going on outside of the Hall.  His head shifted towards 'Father Christmas' as the man came forth from the outside completing his grand entrance.  It was a moment that the blonde Russian was grateful to not be a child as the good Comrade would have been a frightening looking Santa.  Jolly, but frightening all the same.  "Yup, that's the stuff of nightmares."

Foreshadow's statement was of course in jest.  Once he was able to procure two glasses, cider twas the season after all, Foreshadow proceeded to double back before joining in the on going conversation between Solar Sentinel, Arcturus, and Velocity.  Extending a free glass in the Speedster's direction before parting his lips to speak.  "So, I'm going to take a moment to enjoy being in the same celebration as Velocity when for once villains aren't attacking the party.  Foreshadow by the way."

Solar Sentinel

Solar Sentinel shook Arcturus' hand. "A pleasure." Then he heard the song come on, and chuckled to himself. "Wonderful song, really." He said, looking up as if trying to pinpoint the origins.

"It always makes me chuckle, though. I hear what other people consider a classic song or see a classic talking picture, and all I think about is how I'm even older than it is."

Velocity chuckled slightly as well at Solar Sentinel's comment.  "Oh, that comments sounds like there is quite a story behind it."  Just as she spoke, she noted a new pair of guests enter the Hall.

Asad's arrival was showy, in the way that only he could do, without using a hint of his powers, unless one counted him showing up in this particular car of his.  Moving smoothly to a parking spot, and whether anyone was looking for him, they head the tectonic shifting growl of the that hypercar's massive engine.  The door pushed up and out as he stepped out of the vehicle then, straightening as he smoothed the expensive slate gray sports coat.  As usual for these sorts of things he was dressed up, though today was a bit different while he was wearing that jacket and matching pants, he had on one of the shirts he wore in lieu of a uniform undernearth, with the stylized lion face on the front of it.  This made sense as he was one of the more open heroes in Freedom City, if not the only playboy who was openly a hero in the world.

It was an easy walk up to the door to the lobby and stepping in to hear Christmas music, wincing a bit at the lights, he pulled out a pair of sunglasses from his breast pocket and put them on as he moved in casually, looking around, and taking in the... cheer.  Not that he was a Ebeneezer type, but the aggressive happiness he saw at this time of year always astounded and confused him, just a little bit.

Maxima could hardly believe that she got an invitation to the party.  To be honest, it seemed like she always missed out on these big events and team ups.  She did however lend a hand whenever she could.  Her most common appearance would be after the fight, where she would lend a hand with the clean up.  Sure, Dr. Metropolis could handle a lot of these sorts of things, but if he was injured or busy, or if the streets were simply littered with mechanical dinosaurs, a helping hand never hurt. 

But never the less, when the hour arrived, Maxima made her way to the League HQ, one jump at a time.  She mounted the steps and was immediately thankful that the robust architecture meant that she didn't even have to stoop down to make her way inside, nor did she have to duck once inside.  It was an odd feeling to stand at her full height indoors.  Maxima had opted for more of a dressed down approach, as she wore her full costume; she had a nagging doubt that she wouldn't be recognized if she ditched the blue and white singlet.  But to get a little into the festive spirit, she did put on some candy cane earings and had her nails done up in a festive red and white. 

While she beamed and waved at anyone who caught her eye, she had the sudden realization that even though she knew the name of pretty much everyone in the room from the news and TV, she had never had an honest to goodness conversation with any of them. 

Gabriel moved over to greet the tall, muscular woman that the speedster believed was called Maxima.  The other figure was one that she knew all too well, at least as Megan Howell.  She had known Amir al-Misri most of her life, as he was good friends with her parents and had hired her father to represent him in countless business deals.  He was also her former boss during her internship at Summit Transnational back at the start of the year when she was finishing up her Economics degree.  As Velocity, she had an opportunity to work with him as Asad as well, though the encounter with Madame Marvelous had been a bit touchy for Asad.  But before she could excuse herself to greet him, Foreshadow reappeared.

Foreshadow

Foreshadow's statement was of course in jest.  Once he was able to procure two glasses, cider twas the season after all, Foreshadow proceeded to double back before joining in the on going conversation between Solar Sentinel, Arcturus, and Velocity.  Extending a free glass in the Speedster's direction before parting his lips to speak.  "So, I'm going to take a moment to enjoy being in the same celebration as Velocity when for once villains aren't attacking the party.  Foreshadow by the way."

"Thank you sir."  She said with a wide smile as she accepted the offered glass of cider and took a tip.  "Happy Holidays, it is very nice to see you again Foreshadow, particularly in much more pleasant circumstances."

"I will allow these two gentlemen to introduce themselves while I take a quick moment to bring over another new arrival."

With that, Velocity moved over to Asad as he was scanning the room.  "Good Evening Asad, Happy Holidays!  So good to see you once more."

The other figure was one that she knew all too well, at least as Megan Howell.  She had known Amir al-Misri most of her life, as he was good friends with her parents and had hired her father to represent him in countless business deals.  He was also her former boss during her internship at Summit Transnational back at the start of the year when she was finishing up her Economics degree.  As Velocity, she had an opportunity to work with him as Asad as well, though the encounter with Madame Marvelous had been a bit touchy for Asad.  But before she could excuse herself to greet him, Foreshadow reappeared.

As Megan was learning, Amir was a little more complicated than the playboy image.  She had seen shades of it previously, but then she knew him as the younger friend of her father.  He was a shrewd, if aggressive businessman, who did not overestimate his abilities.  She had also met him as a hero, and each version of Amir was different than the rest.  Though admittedly her first time out with him as a hero had involved some emotional turmoil, and Merge Trois who had rather effectively assaulted his 'castle' as it were, and even he had to admit to showing an uncharacteristic amount of savagery in trying to end the encounter swiftly and savagely

All of that was not on the billionaire's mind, as he stood in the lobby, with his hands in his pockets, looking out behind his shades.  By all rights he should be suffering from an apocalyptic hangover, hence the sunglasses, at night.  Indoors.  But at this point, his metabolism was burning off the alcohol before it could really bother him.  Though a part of him was fretting a little bit over being around the League, admittedly part of him wanted membership the other part...

With that, Velocity moved over to Asad as he was scanning the room.  "Good Evening Asad, Happy Holidays!  So good to see you once more."

He was just about to chalk his discomfort to Agnus not being here when Velocity appeared, and he had to push his momentary self-doubt and loneliness to the side, and smile that award winning Amir smile.  "Nice to see you too, and Happy Holidays as well."

Gaian Knight made his way through the front door with the embarrassed grin of a man late to the party he was supposed to help host; though he wore only his normal hero outfit, he'd apparently taken the time to make sure it was clean, repaired, and polished...or, at least, it had been, until something had put a new-looking hole the size of a quarter through the coat. Above and behind his shoulders hung a series of attractive (if, to a keen eye, far from valuable) crystals in festive red and white. "Ah - sorry," he apologized, shooting a guilty grin toward his rather busy-looking teammates. "Ran into trouble on the way over - December rolls around and I swear the ice villains come out of the woodwork. Some kind of wizard with a pack of winter...things."

"Bound elementals. It was hilarious," his companion announced to no one in particular. Tiamat, too, was in her standard hero clothes, but had accessorized with a dramatically over-sized scarf, having looped the cheerful red cloth several times to still hang loose around her neck. She was holding a silver and blue medallion up to the light, grinning ear to ear as she looked it over. "She was all bluster and insults until her walking icicles were puddles; then she couldn't give up her toys fast enough. Merry Christmas to me."

Solar Sentinel

Henry chuckled at Velocity's comment. "I spent most of the past century in space, actually. Interesting times." He said with a polite nod. As Gaian Knight and Tiamat entered, he turned and politely nodded. He listened to their story with a bit of amusement. He'd ended up late to his day job a few times simply because he had a robbery to break up or something. It was a problem he could empathize me.

"Funny thing about the business we're in. No time off." He said. "Nice of you folks to hold this party for us all. I don't often get a chance to meet people like us. Work keeps me busy. Look at me rambling." He said with a chuckle before offering his hand. "They call me Solar Sentinel, I go by Henry when I'm not in my fancy long johns."

Edited by Thunder King

At Revenant's kiss, Comrade Frost actually blushed! It was hard to tell, even this close, but his blue-white cheeks did noticeably pinken for a handful of moments. It did not seem like the Russian ice hero got a lot of kisses these days. But he recovered quickly. "I, er, heh-heh-heh...I suppose I can, my dear, since you are suitably penitent." he said with a wink. "It is not so bad what you have done, you have only danced with wrong younger men!" When he thought about it, Frost realized something unusual at this party- he was by no means the oldest! Given his usual haunts, this was unusual indeed. "Later tonight, I show you finest dancing in all of Russia." The fire flickered again at his words. 

He cocked an eye at Arcturus and said seriously, "You do not have to kiss me, but it is good to hear your story. It pleases me to see a man who wears the bear even in these warm climes."

He made greetings to the others as well, but seemed the most interested in the vampire lady and the bear boy before he raised his head and called, "Ah, Lady Tiamat, our fire grows dim without you!" 

Gaian Knight made his way through the front door with the embarrassed grin of a man late to the party he was supposed to help host; though he wore only his normal hero outfit, he'd apparently taken the time to make sure it was clean, repaired, and polished...or, at least, it had been, until something had put a new-looking hole the size of a quarter through the coat. Above and behind his shoulders hung a series of attractive (if, to a keen eye, far from valuable) crystals in festive red and white. "Ah - sorry," he apologized, shooting a guilty grin toward his rather busy-looking teammates. "Ran into trouble on the way over - December rolls around and I swear the ice villains come out of the woodwork. Some kind of wizard with a pack of winter...things."

"Bound elementals. It was hilarious," his companion announced to no one in particular. Tiamat, too, was in her standard hero clothes, but had accessorized with a dramatically over-sized scarf, having looped the cheerful red cloth several times to still hang loose around her neck. She was holding a silver and blue medallion up to the light, grinning ear to ear as she looked it over. "She was all bluster and insults until her walking icicles were puddles; then she couldn't give up her toys fast enough. Merry Christmas to me."

Vector looked around after the others had found others to greet... before seeing a somewhat-familiar face.  She grinned, walking over to Gaian Knight and Tiamat, waving.  "Hi, Gaian Knight, Tiamat!  Fancy seeing you two here."

She grinned at the pair for a moment.  "Don't think I've seen you since the cheese festival last year.  That was..."

Vector paused, remembering the whole... incident.  "Well, interesting at least.  How've you both been?"

"Gaian Knight," the geokinetic chuckled, shaking Solar Sentinel's offered hand. "I'm afraid I only have the long johns name to offer, though; need to keep a few secrets even in such fine company, sad to say. What fun is never getting time off if I can't stand around with goggles on my face all night?"

Tiamat seemed to rather pointedly ignore Comrade Frost, instead glancing toward Vector. "The cheese...? Ahaha! Right!" The woman looked upwards for a moment, lost in her memory of the event as her grin filled with far more pointy teeth than a human mouth was supposed to have. "That cow was delicious for days. Days! Oh, for a week in that pasture...."

She laughed, in surprisingly good cheer as she tucked the amulet into a pouch that hung from her belt. "I suppose we've been alright. We'd be better if Mr. Stick-in-the-Mud would let me have more fun, but otherwise...."

"Trust me, you're not alone in that boat." chuckled Maxima as she stooped a little to shake Gabriel's hand.  "The name's Maxima; I'm glad to make your acquaintence, and Happy Holidays to you as well." replied Maxima as she flashed another smile.  "I may have to lean on you a bit here, I don't really know anyone here." she confessed.  "I'm just kind of nervous about being, well, here." she continued gesturing around the Hall.  Maxima honestly had no idea why she was telling Gabriel all this.  Maybe it was nerves, maybe she just needed to get this off her chest, or maybe she just felt she could trust Gabriel. 

Gabriel slowly walked over to one side of the hall, making sure they weren't in a lane of foot traffic. It seemed an unconscious gesture, meant to ensure easy entrance and movement for others.

"It's nice to meet you, Maxima. As for knowing people here, well, that's the point of the party, isn't it? To "meet and greet" as some might say. Besides, even I don't know everyone here at the party, just the folks I work with somewhat regularly."

He raised an eyebrow at her nerves, but smiled warmly.

"I was scared stiff when I arrived for the first time as well. Then to have to actually interview, almost like a job? Even more intimidating! I think this is a lot better. This is just food, fun, and friends."

Gabriel slowly walked over to one side of the hall, making sure they weren't in a lane of foot traffic. It seemed an unconscious gesture, meant to ensure easy entrance and movement for others.

"It's nice to meet you, Maxima. As for knowing people here, well, that's the point of the party, isn't it? To "meet and greet" as some might say. Besides, even I don't know everyone here at the party, just the folks I work with somewhat regularly."

He raised an eyebrow at her nerves, but smiled warmly.

"I was scared stiff when I arrived for the first time as well. Then to have to actually interview, almost like a job? Even more intimidating! I think this is a lot better. This is just food, fun, and friends."

Maxima followed Gabriel to the side of the hall, without paying it any mind.  She seemed to relax quite a bit now that she was talking to someone; a person she was getting to know she could handle, a crowd of strangers, not so much. "Yeah I can imagine that would be a rather rough interview." said Maxima, recalling some of her own past interviews.  Changing the subject somewhat, she turned her attention to the hall itself.  "You guys really did a number decking this place out.  Probably helps you got someone on the team with superspeed." says Maxima as she gestures in Velocity's general direction.  "Is there any place off limits here, or can I just wander around?  Might put a damper on the holidays if I set off the alarms while poking around."  she asked suddenly.  "I don't want to be rude to the party guests or anything." she said backpedaling.  "It's just, you guys have got to have some impressive, and I'd be kicking myself through to next year if I didn't try to get a peak.  I understand if you can't for security reasons, but I figured I'd ask before we really got into the swing of things."

Velocity gave a small wave to Gaian Knight and Tiamat as the pair entered the Hall, but stayed engaged with Asad as he responded to her greeting.

He was just about to chalk his discomfort to Agnus not being here when Velocity appeared, and he had to push his momentary self-doubt and loneliness to the side, and smile that award winning Amir smile.  "Nice to see you too, and Happy Holidays as well."

"Well, welcome to Freedom Hall."  She said with a wide smile.  "Come on and let me introduce you to some of the others."  The speedster then added as she wrapped her free arm around one of Asad's and guided him over to the group she had been at previously and that Gaian Knight had just joined.

"Asad, allow me to introduce Gaian Knight, Solar Sentinel, Arcturus and Foreshadow."  Velocity stated, a small gesture to each of the others as she said their respective names.

Maxima followed Gabriel to the side of the hall, without paying it any mind.  She seemed to relax quite a bit now that she was talking to someone; a person she was getting to know she could handle, a crowd of strangers, not so much. "Yeah I can imagine that would be a rather rough interview." said Maxima, recalling some of her own past interviews.  Changing the subject somewhat, she turned her attention to the hall itself.  "You guys really did a number decking this place out.  Probably helps you got someone on the team with superspeed." says Maxima as she gestures in Velocity's general direction.  "Is there any place off limits here, or can I just wander around?  Might put a damper on the holidays if I set off the alarms while poking around."  she asked suddenly.  "I don't want to be rude to the party guests or anything." she said backpedaling.  "It's just, you guys have got to have some impressive, and I'd be kicking myself through to next year if I didn't try to get a peak.  I understand if you can't for security reasons, but I figured I'd ask before we really got into the swing of things."

"Velocity really stepped up with the planning an execution, but Doctor Metropolis and Fleur de Joie also helped a lot. It was completely a team effort.

As for 'off-limits', the downstairs here, the museum, and a couple of the smaller and larger side rooms are kind of the 'party area'. Some of the more sensitive upstairs stuff is locked down. Unless you tore through a wall or something-"

Which seemed entirely possible with her build.

"-You don't have anything to worry about. If you're not supposed to get in an area, the door just won't open for you. We made sure there were extra signs up for directions, too. Took me a month to get used to the layout here.

If you're really keen on looking at some of the more operation-geared parts, we could see about a small tour for some folks later on. At the moment we're all a bit busy with the meet and greet."

Gabriel had nodded and/or waved to other heroes he knew as they entered while he conversed with the heroine who could probably dribble him like a basketball.

"Well, welcome to Freedom Hall."  She said with a wide smile.  "Come on and let me introduce you to some of the others."  The speedster then added as she wrapped her free arm around one of Asad's and guided him over to the group she had been at previously and that Gaian Knight had just joined.

"Asad, allow me to introduce Gaian Knight, Solar Sentinel, Arcturus and Foreshadow."  Velocity stated, a small gesture to each of the others as she said their respective names.

Most others might have missed that his posture stiffened, probably not a speedster, to whom Asad was moving like a crawl.  The sunglasses helped, and that practiced, easy smile managed to betray little.  Even if he was quite warm to the touch.  "Of course."  He moved along with her towards the people there.  Very much aware he was being watched, or at least that he currently had an audience at the moment.  "Thank you Vel, can I call you Vel?  Thank you for the introductions, Vel."

Politely disengaging from her, he stepped towards the others and extended his right hand out towards the assembled heroes, starting with the closest, being... erm... Foreshadow, the name he recognized, not that he didn't know, in general, about each.  "Hello we have not met, I'm Asad, or Amir al-Misri, it is a little interchangeable, for better or worse, depending on which media outlet is your favorite."

Glancing to Velocity over his shoulder then, as he moved next down the line, "Are we doing a gift exchange?  If not I am going to feel like a colossal..."

"Velocity really stepped up with the planning an execution, but Doctor Metropolis and Fleur de Joie also helped a lot. It was completely a team effort.

As for 'off-limits', the downstairs here, the museum, and a couple of the smaller and larger side rooms are kind of the 'party area'. Some of the more sensitive upstairs stuff is locked down. Unless you tore through a wall or something-"

Which seemed entirely possible with her build.

"-You don't have anything to worry about. If you're not supposed to get in an area, the door just won't open for you. We made sure there were extra signs up for directions, too. Took me a month to get used to the layout here.

If you're really keen on looking at some of the more operation-geared parts, we could see about a small tour for some folks later on. At the moment we're all a bit busy with the meet and greet."

Gabriel had nodded and/or waved to other heroes he knew as they entered while he conversed with the heroine who could probably dribble him like a basketball.

Maxima raised her right hand "I do hereby swear I will not tear through any walls tonight." she said jokingly.  "I would love to take part in a tour, but as you said, for later on tonight."  She spots a clock off in the distance and notices it's getting close for the next round of her chemical regimen, which means she'll need some food in her stomach.  "Well I do believe I'll sample some of your teammates' handiwork then, and try the refreshments." she said gesturing further into the ball.  "Join me if you'd like, otherwise we can meet up after your hosting duties die down.  Finding me should be easy; I'm rather hard to loose in a crowd." she added with a smile.  "I'll probably grab a seat somewhere so people don't have to kill their necks looking at me." she added. 

She took about a half step towards the refreshments before turning back to Gabriel, and stooped down low, whispering "Actually, uh... can any of them support my weight?"

Edited by Geez3r

Maxima raised her right hand "I do hereby swear I will not tear through any walls tonight." she said jokingly.  "I would love to take part in a tour, but as you said, for later on tonight."  She spots a clock off in the distance and notices it's getting close for the next round of her chemical regimen, which means she'll need some food in her stomach.  "Well I do believe I'll sample some of your teammates' handiwork then, and try the refreshments." she said gesturing further into the ball.  "Join me if you'd like, otherwise we can meet up after your hosting duties die down.  Finding me should be easy; I'm rather hard to loose in a crowd." she added with a smile.  "I'll probably grab a seat somewhere so people don't have to kill their necks looking at me." she added.

"I'll take you at your word, Miss Maxima!"

When she mentions food, he takes a moment to point her in the right direction.

"There are a couple of small side rooms that normally serve as meeting rooms over there. Tonight that's where the caterers are with the whole host of foods. If it matters, we have vegan, kosher, and halal options.

As for missing you in a crowd, I have a feeling a lot of us are going to stand out rather nicely in a crowd."

Says the man wearing silver metal armor and a white leather coat with a Santa hat on his helmet.

She took about a half step towards the refreshments before turning back to Gabriel, and stooped down low, whispering "Actually, uh... can any of them support my weight?"

Gabriel blinked, and took a quick look around. He pointed to a corner of the main area.

"Those chairs are anchored to the wall, and my understanding is they're rated for those with higher-than-normal body density and the like. Hopefully that should accommodate you."

After that final bit of advice, Gabriel himself wandered into the slowly-growing crowd, looking to greet and mingle a bit more.

Fleur de Joie

At that moment, the wide double doors to the side conference room swung wide open to reveal Fleur de Joie and a vast panopoly of food and drinks. "Sorry we were running a little late, everyone," she announced with flustered good cheer, "but feeding superheroes is a tough gig. Should be something for everybody on the table or behind the bar, so dig in!" For tonight, Fleur had traded in her green uniform for a festive emerald-colored tassel dress that moved around her like the needles on a Christmas tree. She'd pinned her hair as usual, but her floral crown was a Santa Lucia wreath, with six white Christmas lights replacing the traditional candles. Her face was flushed, but she seemed happy to see so many people here already. 

True to Fleur's description, the conference room set aside for the food held something to please almost any palate. Chafing dishes ran the length of one wall with hot hors d'ouevres from a dozen different holiday traditions, while another wall held cold dishes, vegetables, and a carefully marked off section of food that was obviously meant to please alien taste buds. Desserts of all kinds took another whole wall. while a towering blue ice sculpture of Freedom Hall held pride of place on the punch table amidst half a dozen bowls and carafes and hundreds of cups. A bar with an attendant was set up in the corner for those who wanted more than punch or coffee. The room smelled delicious, and with the doors open, the scent quickly began to spread, even as Fleur hastened off to greet all her friends. 

Edited by Electra

Cannonade

"Classy" was not something that came easy to Joe.

There were so many things about this situation that weren't exactly his bailiwick. Fancy dress, high class, high esteem... this was not his scene. Give him a dingy bar, a mosh pit, or a back alley, and he was at home. A holiday ball? He might as well be naked and doing a hula dance. 

But... there were expectations. He was a part of the Liberty League, and that came with a certain set of duties. And besides, it was a gathering for superheroes. Put them in tuxes or chicken suits, and he could probably fit in there.

He'd fished what could be closest to his dress clothes out of the closet - a pea coat, a long-sleeved Ben Sherman shirt, and a pair of slacks. But he didn't ditch the boots or helmet. There were certain expectations he had to fulfill. 

"Happy holidays!" he said as he walked through the door, carrying a probably too large bottle of eggnog in his hands. "Hope I'm not too late to the party." 

Most others might have missed that his posture stiffened, probably not a speedster, to whom Asad was moving like a crawl.  The sunglasses helped, and that practiced, easy smile managed to betray little.  Even if he was quite warm to the touch.  "Of course."  He moved along with her towards the people there.  Very much aware he was being watched, or at least that he currently had an audience at the moment.  "Thank you Vel, can I call you Vel?  Thank you for the introductions, Vel."

Politely disengaging from her, he stepped towards the others and extended his right hand out towards the assembled heroes, starting with the closest, being... erm... Foreshadow, the name he recognized, not that he didn't know, in general, about each.  "Hello we have not met, I'm Asad, or Amir al-Misri, it is a little interchangeable, for better or worse, depending on which media outlet is your favorite."

Glancing to Velocity over his shoulder then, as he moved next down the line, "Are we doing a gift exchange?  If not I am going to feel like a colossal..."

It'd be a lie to state Foreshadow wasn't familiar with Asad.  Much like Gabriel they had worked together once before when Erick was wearing a different name.  He was of course leaner and even slightly shorter then, so Foreshadow wasn't going to directly address the fact that he was once Omen.  Even without that frame of reference Asad's willing openness with his identity kept him notable enough in the public eye as far as Erick was concerned.  As such Foreshadow extended his hand to return the greeting with a slight smile.  

"As-salam 'Alaykum.  A pleasure to make your acquaintance Mr. Al-Misri.  Always great to meet someone who goes to such lengths to try and better life for those in the Fens.  I'm sure your contributions have gone a long way.  Don't worry, I keep my eyes away from the negative gossip stories.  Everyone just trying to make a buck."  Although Foreshadow's DVR may tell a different tale from the testimony given.

Cannonade

"Classy" was not something that came easy to Joe.

There were so many things about this situation that weren't exactly his bailiwick. Fancy dress, high class, high esteem... this was not his scene. Give him a dingy bar, a mosh pit, or a back alley, and he was at home. A holiday ball? He might as well be naked and doing a hula dance. 

But... there were expectations. He was a part of the Liberty League, and that came with a certain set of duties. And besides, it was a gathering for superheroes. Put them in tuxes or chicken suits, and he could probably fit in there.

He'd fished what could be closest to his dress clothes out of the closet - a pea coat, a long-sleeved Ben Sherman shirt, and a pair of slacks. But he didn't ditch the boots or helmet. There were certain expectations he had to fulfill. 

"Happy holidays!" he said as he walked through the door, carrying a probably too large bottle of eggnog in his hands. "Hope I'm not too late to the party."

Gabriel saw Cannonade walk in and went over almost right away. He offered the other man a smile and a handshake. 

"If the party's not over you're not late! Glad to see you here, Cannonade. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you as well! You actually got here right at the perfect time! Fleur just opened up the food for us, so I hope you came hungry!"

The man inspired by an archangel seemed to think for a moment before starting to head that way himself.

"I'm a bit hungry myself, anyways, so we can walk and talk if you'd like. Plenty of other folks here enjoying the party, feel free to mingle!"

Fleur de Joie

At that moment, the wide double doors to the side conference room swung wide open to reveal Fleur de Joie and a vast panopoly of food and drinks. "Sorry we were running a little late, everyone," she announced with flustered good cheer, "but feeding superheroes is a tough gig. Should be something for everybody on the table or behind the bar, so dig in!" For tonight, Fleur had traded in her green uniform for a festive emerald-colored tassel dress that moved around her like the needles on a Christmas tree. She'd pinned her hair as usual, but her floral crown was a Santa Lucia wreath, with six white Christmas lights replacing the traditional candles. Her face was flushed, but she seemed happy to see so many people here already. 

True to Fleur's description, the conference room set aside for the food held something to please almost any palate. Chafing dishes ran the length of one wall with hot hors d'ouevres from a dozen different holiday traditions, while another wall held cold dishes, vegetables, and a carefully marked off section of food that was obviously meant to please alien taste buds. Desserts of all kinds took another whole wall. while a towering blue ice sculpture of Freedom Hall held pride of place on the punch table amidst half a dozen bowls and carafes and hundreds of cups. A bar with an attendant was set up in the corner for those who wanted more than punch or coffee. The room smelled delicious, and with the doors open, the scent quickly began to spread, even as Fleur hastened off to greet all her friends. 

Good timing.  thought Maxima to herself as the doors swung open to the conference room.  "Oh, it just looks wonderful." she said off hand to the petite Fleur as she walked into the room, leaving Fleur to greet the other guests.  She had come in here with the express intention of getting something to eat, but was immediately side tracked when she saw the section for alien cuisine.  She hardly saw anything there appetizing to her palette, but from a biologist's perspective it was absolutely fascinating.  You could learn a lot about a species by their food of choice, and the presence (and even absence) of ingredients and flavors gave insight into their metabolism and their natural environment.  And unless her eyes deceived her, which may very well be the case given how precisely nothing on the table looked like anything she had seen before, some of the dishes contained items of extraterrestrial origin.  Maxima had to fight the urge not to take samples so she could run some tests back at her lab.  But seeing as how this was the holidays and there was a relatively limited selection to begin with, that would fall under the category of Grinch-like behavior.  

Keeping a weather eye out for anyone sampling the alien cuisine, Maxima went about loading her plate with a lot of the healthier options, but also made room for a brownie and a slice of apple pie.  Having hands the size of dinner plates certainly made the balancing act easier.  

Solar Sentinel

Henry heard the call for food and immediately headed in that direction. He hadn't bothered getting much to eat that day, and while he was used to long days without eating, it wasn't his favorite activity. He stopped at the table full of alien dishes and spent a few minutes looking it over.

He was looking to see if there was anything that a Zarnashi might enjoy. He had his full of their food, but when he saw that unusual display of food, he felt it might be interesting to see if he recognized anything whatsoever. When he decided that he didn't, he moved on.

He got himself a nice sized plate of food and a cup of coffee. Cold was another thing that he could easily shrug off...but a hot cup of coffee in the cold was always welcome.

Edited by Thunder King

Silver Spider swung on weblines as quickly as she could towards Freedom Hall.  Stupid purse snatchers, just over a week until Christmas and all the scumbags come out of the woodwork, she thought to herself.  Dropping gently to the ground she walked the last few steps up to the front door of Freedom Hall.

The scientist adjusted the pack on her back which held more appropriate clothes for a holiday party while fishing her invitation out of a compartment on her belt.  Megan had left the card taped to the sliding glass door to her apartment's balcony a few weeks ago and the young woman had been looking forward to the party since.

Once inside the spider-themed hero scanned the room for her speedster friend.  And maybe something warm to drink.

"Wweeeelll, I suppose you can."  Velocity replied with a small smile when Asad asked if he could refer to her as "Vel."  She noted another arrival, wearing a Greek style helmet with a large crest, but Gabriel quickly moved to greet him.  Fleur then exited the conference room in which the refreshments had been set up and the speedster smiled.

"Well, as you all can see, the refreshments are just back there."  She stated with a small nod.  "Down the hall on the left hand side of the central stairs and elevators is a larger conference room we will be using as  a dance floor, as well as the League's museum, which is open tonight as well.  I should probably go to help with greeting some new arrivals, but I am sure I will see all of you again later."

With that the speedster moved on,  just in time to see her old friend Jennifer Owens, also known as Silver Spider, arrive.

Silver Spider swung on weblines as quickly as she could towards Freedom Hall.  Stupid purse snatchers, just over a week until Christmas and all the scumbags come out of the woodwork, she thought to herself.  Dropping gently to the ground she walked the last few steps up to the front door of Freedom Hall.

The scientist adjusted the pack on her back which held more appropriate clothes for a holiday party while fishing her invitation out of a compartment on her belt.  Megan had left the card taped to the sliding glass door to her apartment's balcony a few weeks ago and the young woman had been looking forward to the party since.

Once inside the spider-themed hero scanned the room for her speedster friend.  And maybe something warm to drink.

Velocity moved over in a flash, giving Jen a wide smile.  "Hey there Silver, Happy Holidays!"  She said in greeting, giving the other heroine a hug.

Over the sound system, The Christmas Waltz sung by Peggy Lee began to play.

Alex found himself stood outside freedom hall turning over the thin card he'd found in his pocket one evening after a late night store run took a turn for the interesting. Slightly perturbed but none the less intrigued.

With a gesture almost too fast to follow he sweeps his hand u tilts his hat back, pinches  the now exposed hem of his handkerchief cowl and pulls it down over his nose and as his other gives the cap a firm tug, pulling it back into place and securing the cowl with its band.

Showtime

taking a moment to brush the snow that had begun to settle on his shoulders off and straighten up his suit before striding up the path, arms at his side and invitation gripped lightly between the sides of his fore and index fingers. Not quite sure what to expect but eager to find out he gives the large front door a firm rap with his knuckles to announce himself.