Bright Lights and Good Cheer

Thevshi

And then there was another new arrival to the group, one who toward over everyone of the teens.  Giang looked up at Maxima as she introduced herself and gave the older heroine a small bow.  "Greetings Maxima.  It is an honor to meet you.  I am Tusnami."

"Good evening, and Merry Christmas Mz...er, Maxima!" he said with a quick recovery of his bright grin, offering her his much smaller hand "I'm El Heraldo, champion of Puerto Rico! You're really huge," Subito added, eyes sparkling with new excitement "Could you make yourself even bigger, if you wanted to? Not a lotta people who can go giant in Freedom City, I gotta say. Where you from?"

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Arcturus, Tsunami, El Heraldo." replied Maxima as each of the teenaged heroes introduced themselves, alternatively shaking hands and attempting to bow as the situation warranted.  It was El Heraldo that got her going however.  "Born and raised here in Freedom.  And this is about as big as I get.  Giantomorphism tends to be a rarer super-powered trait.  Most tend to only be able to increase their stature to 15-20ft while retaining a mostly human form.  The square-cube law states that when an object undergoes a proportional increase in size, its new volume is proportional to the cube of the multiplier and its new surface area is proportional to the square of the multiplier.  The first problem that will occur is the dissipation of oxygen across the body, which effectively causes suffocation even if the subject's lungs and blood vessels are working properly.  The heart will attempt to compensate for this by beating faster, but it's exceeds the normal rhythm of the heart and will soon induce cardiac arrest. 

For this reason, you'll find that the larger gigantomorphs almost always have the source of their power lie in some form of mysticism as it can bypass these ordinary restrictions.  I postulate that some form of life-sustaining spell is added into the mix, much like a given spell might allow a witch or wizard breath underwater.  Not being a practitioner however, all I have are hypothesis.  Now biological giantomorphs on the other hand tend to have some RNA....aaaaannd I'm going to stop talking now." said Maxima catching herself before she went into a long rant explaining in graphic detail how most giantomorphs (herself included) had their skeletons grow first, tearing apart their bodies in the process, before all the meat of their body grew back to fill in the gaps, hopefully before their nervous system finished. 

Edited by Geez3r
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sliding to a halt next to Elias, he thumped the other boy on the back, "Hey Errant! You showed! That's awe-whoa" he stopped short, staring open-mouthed in shock at Mali, Giang and Thaelia "I...wow. Ladies" the Hispanic teen looked grave, doffed his hat and made a sweeping bow "I am a churlish wretch, and never thought my schoolmates would ever appear so resplendent('cept Cerys). Forgive my blunder, you look as lovely as the rose-tinted dawn tonight." Looking up he added with grin at Arcturus "Hi there, Arky! How's it goin'?"

Arcturus

Arcturus cringed a little bit. 'Arky'. Subito was... strange. Gregarious to a fault, but Arc really couldn't help but like him for all his quirks. "Heraldo... Happy Holidays." He managed a faint grin. "I can't really complain. I'm here, breathing, et cetera. How've you been?"

He really hadn't seen much of Subito after the incident in the training room, where the Beast Rune had first decided to start getting... aggressive.

Edited by GranspearZX

Glamazon

A smile formed on Thaelia's face after El Heraldo compliment in which her expression clearly read, see that wasn't so hard as she faced Errant.  Coyly slipping her arm away from the psionic teen after Giang questioned why Errant thought they hadn't found him attractive.    She stopped for a moment to connect the dots as to who the El Sourface was that Subito was referencing.  Looking around the room before the shoulder bump took place for some sort of masked luchador or the like.  Before it dawned on her that Errant was the one in question.

"I do not believe Errant is very sour.  He can come of tepid temperament.  But I believe there is something there just waiting to bubble to the surface."  Clearly intent of figuring out the puzzle that was her stoic classmate.

The explanation on gigantomorphs went over Thaelia's head.  She was able to catch something about oxygen.  But that was about as far as she got before simply nodding politely.  "Ah yes, before I forget my manners.  It is also my pleasure to meet you Maxima.  I am known as the Glamazon."  The Atlantean royal stretched out her hand for her part of the greeting.  Not that her public identity was secret in the slightest.  But introducing herself by her heroic title had less follow up questions.  Plus she enjoyed doing so.  It had a boisterous ring to it that the Atlantean just loved.

Edited by HG Morrison

Heraldo

"Born and raised here in Freedom.  And this is about as big as I get.  Sciencesciencesciencesciencesciencesciencephysicslawsrelatedtosuperpowerssciencesciencesciencecasualasidescience....aaaaannd I'm going to stop talking now."

Subito listened with unusual interest to Maxima's brief lecture, nodding along vigorously when she paused and laughing heartily when the scientist stopped herself from going even more into detail "I wouldn't have minded, Maxima, it's good to learn, and it's obviously somethin' you're really passionate about. That's great! I hope I grow up to be like you, workin' in a field that I can get excited about. How many dudes d'you think can do that? We've got so many choices, and it's thanks ta people like you, Maxi! To your health, and all seekers of knowledge." He solemnly toasted the built biochemist with an enormous mouthful of spicy soda. At first all seemed well, until his eyes opened over his swollen and reddening cheeks with a look of deep regret. Swallowing loudly, he hurriedly grabbed a nearby glass of water and chased the soda down with it, putting the glass back as he coughed and spluttered, pounding his chest with a free hand, managing, as he regained his colorful composure to gasp out "I'm okay, jus-just need to not do that ever again. Blagh"

"Heraldo... Happy Holidays." He managed a faint grin. "I can't really complain. I'm here, breathing, et cetera. How've you been?"

"I've been great! Got lots to do, had some great times recently, and made awesome friends!" his former schoolmate replied happily "Just graduated in September, but I think they're going to wait until next summer to have the big "you made it!" party. Don't think I'll go, got stuff to do, you know how it is." Taking a bite out of the rice and vegetables making up the base of his sizable plate, he glanced around at the nearby Claremonters, his merry smile taking on a slightly melancholy edge before his normal cheer returned.

"I do not believe Errant is very sour.  He can come of tepid temperament.  But I believe there is something there just waiting to bubble to the surface."

The resplendent teen paragon blinked "Thaelia...you and me are totally on the same page!" he exclaimed joyfully, slinging his free arm over his shoulder "I've been trying to get this guy" he pointed accusingly at Errant "to stop looking like he's just swallowed the world's supply of lemons for more'n a year! " Swinging around Glamazon he offered the Atlantean teen demigoddess his powerful hand "I welcome you to the battle of joy against misery, sister in arms!"

Edited by Arichamus

Paige stared at the painting in silence, ignoring her husband's frantic energy with the ease of long practice. Twenty years gone, and it was hard to remember herself that young, even if her face hadn't changed that much. Archer was a surprisingly talented artist, making up for what the scene lacked in realism with the raw emotion in the strokes. Looking at herself, she could almost taste the smoke and blood and the sour-acrid-slimy fear of death that rose in her throat when she'd looked down at a city full of Omegadrones and realized that she wouldn't run away. All at once she wished she hadn't come in here, wished herself back in the warm lobby with its crackling fires and all the youngsters who didn't remember.

"He's very good," she finally said, taking a sip of wine to rinse the past from her mouth. "I can see why this would be a private collection piece. Has he done any others?" Paige was pleased that her voice came out mildly interested, a gallery voice suitable for cocktail parties and art criticism. At the same time, she reached out a hand and put it in Richard's, knowing without looking that it would be there. 

LaMarr's complexion wasn't one that allowed for much blanching nor was his broad-shouldered frame given to anything but strong, squared stances, but as the commotion about Keller's painting drew him over it was clear from his expression alone that the wind had been taken out of him. It wasn't the memory of the fight itself that hit him harder than any punch could have, it was the sudden acuteness of the aching absence he carried with him from the moment he woke to the moment he fell asleep at night.

There he was, not as old as the face in the mirror but not quite so young as he sometimes still imagined himself. Jav, certainly, had never seemed to lose the energy of his twenties until just before the end, when the radiations they'd all been exposed to had slowly eaten away at him until he'd seemed a paper shell of the man LaMarr loved. Yelena, though, Yelena had never gotten any older. He tried to mentally add on the lines she should have had time to collect across her face but instead he could only imagine her as she'd been in the years they'd all lived together in the converted converted movie theater, when they'd all been invincible.

Raising one hand to run through his beard, covering his mouth as he did so, the aging hero looked intently at the painted scene and said nothing.

Glamazon

A smile formed on Thaelia's face after El Heraldo compliment in which her expression clearly read, see that wasn't so hard as she faced Errant.  Coyly slipping her arm away from the psionic teen after Giang questioned why Errant thought they hadn't found him attractive.    She stopped for a moment to connect the dots as to who the El Sourface was that Subito was referencing.  Looking around the room before the shoulder bump took place for some sort of masked luchador or the like.  Before it dawned on her that Errant was the one in question.

"I do not believe Errant is very sour.  He can come of tepid temperament.  But I believe there is something there just waiting to bubble to the surface."  Clearly intent of figuring out the puzzle that was her stoic classmate.

The explanation on gigantomorphs went over Thaelia's head.  She was able to catch something about oxygen.  But that was about as far as she got before simply nodding politely.  "Ah yes, before I forget my manners.  It is also my pleasure to meet you Maxima.  I am known as the Glamazon."  The Atlantean royal stretched out her hand for her part of the greeting.  Not that her public identity was secret in the slightest.  But introducing herself by her heroic title had less follow up questions.  Plus she enjoyed doing so.  It had a boisterous ring to it that the Atlantean just loved.

"The pleasure is all mine." replied Maxima as she shook hands with the Atlanean.  Maxima squeezed down on Glamazon's hand with some degree of force, but stopped well before anything painful.  She had never shaken hands with anyone that had super strength before... or an Atlantean for that matter.  Maxima cracked a smile.  "We might have to spar with one another one of these days.  I'd love to see some Atlantean fighting styles in action first hand."

Heraldo

Subito listened with unusual interest to Maxima's brief lecture, nodding along vigorously when she paused and laughing heartily when the scientist stopped herself from going even more into detail "I wouldn't have minded, Maxima, it's good to learn, and it's obviously somethin' you're really passionate about. That's great! I hope I grow up to be like you, workin' in a field that I can get excited about. How many dudes d'you think can do that? We've got so many choices, and it's thanks ta people like you, Maxi! To your health, and all seekers of knowledge." He solemnly toasted the built biochemist with an enormous mouthful of spicy soda. At first all seemed well, until his eyes opened over his swollen and reddening cheeks with a look of deep regret. Swallowing loudly, he hurriedly grabbed a nearby glass of water and chased the soda down with it, putting the glass back as he coughed and spluttered, pounding his chest with a free hand, managing, as he regained his colorful composure to gasp out "I'm okay, jus-just need to not do that ever again. Blagh"

"I've been great! Got lots to do, had some great times recently, and made awesome friends!" his former schoolmate replied happily "Just graduated in September, but I think they're going to wait until next summer to have the big "you made it!" party. Don't think I'll go, got stuff to do, you know how it is." Taking a bite out of the rice and vegetables making up the base of his sizable plate, he glanced around at the nearby Claremonters, his merry smile taking on a slightly melancholy edge before his normal cheer returned.

The resplendent teen paragon blinked "Thaelia...you and me are totally on the same page!" he exclaimed joyfully, slinging his free arm over his shoulder "I've been trying to get this guy" he pointed accusingly at Errant "to stop looking like he's just swallowed the world's supply of lemons for more'n a year! " Swinging around Glamazon he offered the Atlantean teen demigoddess his powerful hand "I welcome you to the battle of joy against misery, sister in arms!"

"Well I'd say you've got the enthusiasm part down pat." remarked Maxima smirking at Subito's antics.  "You'll do quite well if you can put some direction to that drive." encouraged Maxima.  Maxima took a figurative step back as the other teen heroes started conversing with Errant.  She felt like this was some sort of internal matter, and if they were really trying to coax him out of his shell, the last thing he needed was a stranger butting in.  It was good seeing the next generation looking out for one another. 

Errant

Errant seemed to relax, visibly when Thaelia's arm was off of him.  He was aware he was attracted to her, she was likely not aware of it, he just didn't have a way to articulate it, and if his control slipped on the matter... well...  

The mask did little to hide that he was likely frowning, even as he looked at the ground.  Turning towards Giang, he responded to her, earlier question without the sarcasm, as he was at this point in exposition mode.  Something a few others here had seen before.  "Because I pay attention.  Every little cue I see that you, or anyone else makes, I remember.  Just like I can rattle off every lyric to every song I've heard since i stepped into this building.  Even without my telepathic and empathic abilities."  Errant shrugged and looked around the room, as he tended to, possibly because he genuinely was paranoid.  "I can feel the shift of the weight across your feet when you get uncomfortable, I see a smile flicker in a moment of sympathy.  Because I can tell the difference between an intellectual appreciation of aesthetic qualities, and a visceral reaction."

Maxima took a figurative step back as the other teen heroes started conversing with Errant.  She felt like this was some sort of internal matter, and if they were really trying to coax him out of his shell, the last thing he needed was a stranger butting in.  It was good seeing the next generation looking out for one another. 

His brightly colored eyes looked to Maxima, and while the mask he wore hide his face, it was almost a plea to get him away from his fellows.  Then they closed.  "Errant is within five feet of all of you.  He is not appreciative of the talk of his failings in such a fashion, as he is abundantly aware of them.  Especially due to the efforts of others to try and socially engineer him into a person that they feel is better.  Something he never tries to do to others.  Despite all the lectures on ethics he has received.  And his explanations are either looked upon with incomprehension, sympathy, or a combination of the two, so he has given up on trying that"  His annoyance showing, in the sarcasm he used as people spoke about him as if he wasn't there.  As soon as the acrid taste of his anger started to seep, Errant stuffed it back behind whatever door it slipped from.  

Ducking his head, he spun to the side, slipping out from under Subito's grasp, and away from anyone's reach, the course plotted methodically before he took it.  "I am here to avoid getting harangued.  Yet by showing up my inadequacies get to be the centerpiece of conversation...  Clearly this was time well spent.  Excuse me I am going to get something eat."    And he spun on his feet, and walked towards the table to pick somethings, already planning on an exit.  Even if he reinforced his El Grouchy image.

Errant

His brightly colored eyes looked to Maxima, and while the mask he wore hide his face, it was almost a plea to get him away from his fellows.  Then they closed.  "Errant is within five feet of all of you.  He is not appreciative of the talk of his failings in such a fashion, as he is abundantly aware of them.  Especially due to the efforts of others to try and socially engineer him into a person that they feel is better.  Something he never tries to do to others.  Despite all the lectures on ethics he has received.  And his explanations are either looked upon with incomprehension, sympathy, or a combination of the two, so he has given up on trying that"  His annoyance showing, in the sarcasm he used as people spoke about him as if he wasn't there.  As soon as the acrid taste of his anger started to seep, Errant stuffed it back behind whatever door it slipped from.  

Ducking his head, he spun to the side, slipping out from under Subito's grasp, and away from anyone's reach, the course plotted methodically before he took it.  "I am here to avoid getting harangued.  Yet by showing up my inadequacies get to be the centerpiece of conversation...  Clearly this was time well spent.  Excuse me I am going to get something eat."    And he spun on his feet, and walked towards the table to pick somethings, already planning on an exit.  Even if he reinforced his El Grouchy image.

Arcturus

Arcturus could see it happening before it actually happened. He'd spent enough time with Errant to know that he valued his personal space pretty highly, and he could almost smell the annoyance in the teen psychic rising exponentially. He cringed inwardly as Errant stormed off; he opened his mouth to stop him, but then thought better of it, shaking his head.

He could appreciate how much effort it took to open up to people; Arcturus still wasn't what one would call extroverted, but a year ago he wouldn't have even come to a party as large as this one. His brow furrowed visibly beneath the cowl; he cleared his throat and started off in Errant's direction. "Excuse me, guys... I'll be back in a bit."

Just getting near the food made him hungry again, and food was as good an excuse as any to follow after Errant. Arc didn't doubt for a second that Errant would try to sneak out of the party at some point--not that Arcturus could stop Errant from leaving if he really wanted to, but he really didn't want that incident to be Errant's sole takeaway from the encounter.

The trick, however, was figuring out what to say to Errant. He didn't at all blame Errant for reacting the way he had... so he asked the first question that came to mind.

"You okay, man?"

Errant

Had his mask pulled up as he was picking up food.  Left to normal devices Errant was a vegetarian.  Knowing the conditions in most slaughterhouses, it tended to bother him to eat meat.  That twinge of empathetic guilt went away when he was out in the wild, and it was more about survival.  But when he had the option.  And right now, he was going for nuts, and other high caloric foods.  Something Subito had also teased, that he never ate for pleasure, it was solely for sustenance.

He tensed visibly when he felt Arc draw close, and he rolled his head back and closed his eyes, sighing softly.  "I am fine."

Glamazon

"The pleasure is all mine." replied Maxima as she shook hands with the Atlanean.  Maxima squeezed down on Glamazon's hand with some degree of force, but stopped well before anything painful.  She had never shaken hands with anyone that had super strength before... or an Atlantean for that matter.  Maxima cracked a smile.  "We might have to spar with one another one of these days.  I'd love to see some Atlantean fighting styles in action first hand."

"It would be my honor to meet you on the field of battle.  We may take advantage of one of the days that the Wreck Room has public access.  Our exchange shall be one most glorious.  May the gods of war smile favorably upon us."  Glamazon responded excitedly.  Practically jumping at the seams with the idea of sparring against what she assumed was a more experienced superhumanly strong brawler.  They did have to account for the fragility of most surroundings.  But that was a minor detail when the possibility to spar came into play for the battle loving maiden.

Heraldo

The resplendent teen paragon blinked "Thaelia...you and me are totally on the same page!" he exclaimed joyfully, slinging his free arm over his shoulder "I've been trying to get this guy" he pointed accusingly at Errant "to stop looking like he's just swallowed the world's supply of lemons for more'n a year! " Swinging around Glamazon he offered the Atlantean teen demigoddess his powerful hand "I welcome you to the battle of joy against misery, sister in arms!"

She didn't quite agree with him looking quite so displeased.  At least until Errant's tirade after Heraldo's exclamation made it clear.  Errant would have none of that.  As such the hand that was coming to greet Heraldo's was quickly withdrawn as she walked the telepath walk away.  The confusion on Glamazon's face clear as day.  Misery won that battle.

Errant

"I fear we may have overstepped our bounds Su-Heraldo."  As always her expression read like a book.  A mixture of frustration and even a little satisfaction.  The satisfaction born out of the fact that he didn't keep something locked away in that vault of emotions of his.  Even if it came from anger at her and Subito.  "I cannot even begin to fathom why things are always so tense between him and I.  I honestly try to understand him better.  But when I push against that wall, it is far more content to stay still.  Perhaps he just dislikes me?"

Heraldo

Errant is within five feet of all of you.  He is not appreciative of the talk of his failings in such a fashion, as he is abundantly aware of them.  Especially due to the efforts of others to try and socially engineer him into a person that they feel is better.  Something he never tries to do to others.  Despite all the lectures on ethics he has received.  And his explanations are either looked upon with incomprehension, sympathy, or a combination of the two, so he has given up on trying that"

Subito's grin faded away as each sentence marched out of Elias' mouth and lined up to confront him. He half-turned at the words "...so he has given up on trying that", but could only open and close his mouth as the crushing realization suddenly broke full-force on him. Offering no resistance at the teen psychic's abrupt movements, he watched the other boy stalk off to the refreshments table.

This was more or less the opposite of how he had been expecting that exchange to go. Normally Errant just rolled his eyes and went along with it, and Heraldo had assumed early on that that was their bit, just friends joking around. It had never entered his darkest dreams that the continued efforts to make him more like the more outgoing students might have been deeply offensive after all. He looked down at the floor for a minute, grappling with what, if anything, to do. To the Atlantean Amazon he muttered "Gotta agree with you there, Thae. Probably isn't too cool with either of us."

Arcturus leaving decided that. Raising his head, Heraldo told the girls "Um...I'll be right back." With that he turned on his heel and walked after the other two boys, coming up right on Marcus' heels. He paused at hearing the other alumni's question, and the terse answer. 'Huh. That's more or less true, isn't it?'

"You're fine, yeah." he broke in, standing in the doorway with an apologetic look  "That's what I didn't get, you see. El, I wasn't trying to embarrass you or anything, I just figured you were like me, and that if I kept at it long enough you'd be more that than, well, you. I guess it never occurred to me that wasn't true, or helpful at all. And come to to think of it," he added sheepishly "given what you've said about your home, that was probably compounded by what happened there. So...I'm sorry Errant, I won't do that again. Promise on the Banner."

Bowing slightly to the psychic, he quickly retraced his steps to the knot of Claremonters, smiling cheerily at the girls "So! Tigre, Tsunami, how have you been? Learned anything awesome? Oooh! and Thae," he snapped his fingers and looked at the demigoddess "pro'lly best to leave Errant be, work it out on his own. Also, I wanna talk to you about maybe visiting Atlantis later. Is that cool?"

Edited by Arichamus

Tsunami

Giang gave a small inward sigh as Elias excused himself and moved away from the other teens. She knew things could be difficult for him, and all the attention from everyone certainly was unlikely to help. And as observant as Elias was, he did not know quite as much as he believed, as the Asian teen tended to have her emotions well in check much of the time.

Although, how attractive she did nor did not find him aside, he was correct that she had little romantic interest in him. But that was not particularly unusual, as she did not generally devote much energy to such considerations. In fact, there had been only one fellow Claremont student she had had any romantic interest in over the last year, and it had been pretty clear that was not something he was interested in. So, Giang had not allowed herself to dwell on those feelings.

"Of course Arcturus." She replied with a small smile as the recent graduate excused himself to follow after Errant.

The Asian teen then glanced over at her roommate as the Atlantean teen commented about the walls Elias kept up around himself. "He has spent a good deal of time on his own Thaelia. Perhaps someday he might be willing to lower those walls some."

Velocity

As Lady Liberty and some of the older heroes present made their way down one of the hallways from the main reception area towards the museum, Velocity continued on towards those that remained behind.  The speedster was already in pretty high spirits for the party, and Beth’s news had only served to brighten those even further, so she had a dazzling smile on her face as she looked over the remaining gathered guests and League members there.

"Sorry about that."  She said loudly enough to be heard throughout the room.  "Just a bit of League related business.  For those that have not gotten too far in yet, we do have refreshments over in this front conference room," the young woman gestured towards the open doors.

"But for those that have had some refreshment and might want a bit of activity, we do have a conference room set up as a dance floor just back this way."  The speedster indicated another hallway off the reception area.  "In fact, I think I am ready to head back that way myself."  She added as she took out a smartphone and opened up a playlist and selecting a new song.

Over the Hall's PA system, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMKJ3GZU6WA'>Run Run Rudolph by Chuck Berry began to play and the heroine began swaying slightly to the more upbeat Christmas song.

Crimson Tiger

Mali watched the exchange with trepidation. She knew that getting into Elias' bubble was an almost insurmountable challenge. He was a troubled person. She appreciated the warm enthusiasm of Thaelia and Subito, but she knew that Elias was being pushed beyond his tolerance. She would have intervened, but she felt it best that Elias explain it to them. That would  make certain that it stopped there.

She turned to Subito and kind of half shrugged. "Things are getting kind of intense in class, and I'm dealing with college applications." She let other details of her recent past go and wasn't up to discussing them. "So right now it's mostly class, applications, and patrolling."

ASAD

While not as fast as the speedsters, the billionaire hero was able to accelerate and decelerate at amazing rates as well, without enduring any problems.  He extended a hand out to Velocity on his arrival near her.  "Then I hope you wont mind, madame, if I ask a dance from you.  It would be an utter shame for me not to seek out one from one as ravishing such as you."  It should also be noted, that physical speeds he could achieve paled in comparison from his speed from zero to ham.

Not that he was intentionally singling her out, despite what she might think.  Well, maybe not for the reasons she thought.  Really she was the first person to speak about dancing, and while not the greatest dancer in the word Asad certainly loved to do so, and could do it without completely embarrassing himself.  Still, he was grinned broadly, charmingly.  And he was doing his best to relax and not think about work or 'work.'

“You're not causing trouble again are you Subito?â€

Blodeuwedd spoke into his ear from behind, arriving almost unnoticed as was her general habit to do. It wasn’t even showing off she did it almost out of habit.

“I got bored waiting so I thought I’d come and find you.â€

She looked round at the other and gave a little wave.

“Hello everyone, for those that don’t know me I’m called Blodeuwedd. And whatever this lunk here say’s about me is a gross exaggeration.†her tone was fairly good natured if not a little dry.

“Has everyone had enough to eat and drink? Because I belive there opening up the dancefloor.â€

ASAD

While not as fast as the speedsters, the billionaire hero was able to accelerate and decelerate at amazing rates as well, without enduring any problems.  He extended a hand out to Velocity on his arrival near her.  "Then I hope you wont mind, madame, if I ask a dance from you.  It would be an utter shame for me not to seek out one from one as ravishing such as you."  It should also be noted, that physical speeds he could achieve paled in comparison from his speed from zero to ham.

Not that he was intentionally singling her out, despite what she might think.  Well, maybe not for the reasons she thought.  Really she was the first person to speak about dancing, and while not the greatest dancer in the word Asad certainly loved to do so, and could do it without completely embarrassing himself.  Still, he was grinned broadly, charmingly.  And he was doing his best to relax and not think about work or 'work.'

Velocity

As Asad approached and offered his hand to her, Velocity could not help but smile.  That was in part because of his compliment, but also in part because she wondered what the billionaire hero would think if he realized that he had once promised her father to refrain from such behavior with her and her sister.  But of course, Asad did not know that behind Velocity's mask, mirrored goggles and brunette wig was Megan Howell.  In fact, Megan's dad had not know that either until about a month or so ago.

Of course, any "moment" of hesitation for the speedster was a mere microsecond to the rest of the room, so she appeared to smoothly take his hand at her smile.  "Why that would be a pleasure sir."  She replied as they started to lead the way back to the dance floor.

Errant

Another sigh, and Elias closed his eyes, before just setting down his plate.  Subito had to have the last word.  Had to add those two cents.  Words were so difficult for him, as they failed him so readily.  They couldn't explain the way telepathy could.  People thought it was just words, but that wasn't it, that wasn't it at all.  There was shades of meaning, of concepts, it was cutting out the artless enterprise of translating thought to something limited.

He pulled his mask down and fixed it as he turned to Arcturus.  "I am fine.  I got... annoyed at being talked about like I wasn't there.  That's all.  Not that me being annoyed removes me as a topic of conversation.  But... there are gaps.  I can't explain things well enough to anyone else.  It is hard to tell people about my life's experiences.  You're the closest person I can relate to, and even there... even there."  He drew in a slow sigh as he shook his head slowly.  "I think, objectively, you endured worse than me, not that this was a competition, or anything, but y'know..."  He turned his head to look at them.  "You were happy and you lost that... your sense of normal matched up to other people, you could relate, you can spend time around them...  Maybe I just hate how all of you can relate to each other, even in your moments of sadness."  He sounded almost wistful for a moment.

And then he looked away from them, at a wall, reaffirming the mask, pulling away from that moment of feeling, of being.  Not wanting it to leak out and ruin other people's mood..  "I'm gonna go.  Someone needs to patrol tonight."  And then he turned and moved towards the door, knowing that no one would try to stop him.

Edited by TheAbsurdist

ASAD

That conversation, with her father, had involved expensive scotch, and really a buying into Amir's playboy reputation.  It hard hurt him a little.  He had no problems admitting to it, well except to Megan.  Sad truth was a vast majority of his friends still considered him a feckless, impulsive twit.  Not that he really counted a large number of friends, truth be told.  In a way he was thankful for the powers, it gave him something to do, to stop being so damned alone when he wasn't working.  Megan knew the man's work schedule, it was inhuman, and exacerbated by stamina that had clearly be augmented by his abilities.

"Good, I was hoping to not have to grovel."  The famous al-Misri smile was deployed as he immediately went to self-effacing coupled with a wink, as he moved with her towards the the dance floor, being respectful in how he was behaving.  "Somehow that would be in the newspapers tomorrow, and I imagine coupled with an unflattering photo."

Edited by TheAbsurdist

“You're not causing trouble again are you Subito?â€

Cerys was rewarded with him jumping slightly, his super-sensitive ears his bane, as usual. "Not intentionally!" he replied with a grin, stepping back to put his free arm around her waist so they could nestle more comfortably "Sorry Blodeu. Didn't realize I was taking so long, or I'd have been looking for you. And don't believe her,"  he added gravely to the others "If anything, I'm underselling her!"

At the mention of dancing, his eyes lit up and the song clicked into place. "I'll leave some of this," he put the heavy plate down on a nearby table with grave care "for later. Gotta keep light if you wanna dance right, my Mom always said." He frowned as something struck him "Though she's always been pretty hefty, 'ccording to Dad...anyway!" Jumping off the floor and turning to the young superheroine still held lightly at his side, "Ms. Pfer, may I take this dance?" he asked with exaggerated grandeur, a hand held elegantly at his heart "Also what kind of dance? Not sure I know one that goes with this song!"

"And how 'bout you guys, wanna come? Ooh! You can tell us about what crazy stuff you've seen out on patrol, Tiger!"