Bright Lights and Good Cheer

Thevshi

"I should introduce you to real drink sometime," Frost opined. "The Buryat of Siberia make drink called Tarasun, whisky brewed entirely from mare's milk! Your Buryat drinks his Tarasun when he needs strength, and when he needs pray to his god. A very sensible people, the Buryat." He nodded at that, rather enjoying the rare spectacle of a pretty woman on his lap as he nodded back to Fleur de Joie. "Holidays can be difficult for those of us denied certain earthly delights. With work in toyshop, of course," he added, tugging at his rubber-banded beard. "But there are ways to get them, for a clever man. Or lady," he added with a wink her way. "Like dancing, for example. I have had some experience with this...but never Charleston with lady so pretty as you."

“I’ll have to check that out sometime maybe one day you can show the beauties of your country, and it alcohol, I’ve never had a chance to travel beyond this continent so far.â€

She hopped off of his lap running a hand over his cold, cold face.

“And I look forward to dancing with you later, but I have other people to meet and greet first.â€

She blew him a kiss goodbye as she wandered over to Henry who she’d seen come in a few minutes ago.

“You know I like this suit better than the other then again you’ve got to love a classic.â€

She stood up on tip toes a took off his hat putting it on her own head and giving him a broad grin.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solar sentinel

Henry grinned as soon as he saw her step up to him. He backed off for a split second. "You know, that looks even better on you than it does me." He said with a smile. "Good to see you, how've you been? I got the invitation and didn't think there would be a point in refusing it." he took in the sights. "It's a lot nicer in here than my apartment, that's for sure."

"At least whoever picks the music has some good taste." He said. "I even remember some of those songs." He chuckled. "I didn't think there was much of a point to hiding my identity, there are bound to be thousands of Henrys in this city."

Edited by Thunder King

El Heraldo

"Mix and mingle? I'm on it!"

Shaking the offered hand with vigor, Heraldo nodded in confirmation "Oh yeah, totally! Well...used to be a student hero, I graduated in September. Good times. Quiet too" he said thoughtfully "Everyone at school was all 'this time it's gonna be the Sky Lord! This time it's gonna be the Crime League!', but nothing happened, which is kind of a relief."

"And yeah, I'm totally from Puerto Rico too!" he acknowledged with a grin of real pride "I get to speak from soul to soul with the spirit of the island, which is, though I say so myself, pretty awesome. Though...last I was there was back in July, spent most of my life here in Freedom City. How about you Starchaser?" he asked the star-spangled man with a polite raise of his feathered hat and a quizzical raise of an eyebrow "Where are you from, space? Ooh! Are you a Lor?" his eyes nearly blazed with excitement at the idea.

Crusader

"About... three years, technically." Crusader had to seriously think about it, nodding slowly. Maxima's height didn't seem to bother him; if it did, he didn't show any real outward sign of noticing. "The mantle just sort of fell into my lap from the Crusader before me... and even then, that was after college. I can't help but feel like there's more I could be doing but it's been kind of a rough year."

Maxima shook her head laughing.  "Guess that makes me the newbie.  If you go by when I put on the tights, I'm still a rookie." confessed Maxima now having even more of a respect for the people standing around her.  I couldn't image going to school and trying to be a superhero at the same time.  Who would have time for-- oh, right.  Super-speed.  thought Maxima now a bit envious of Velocity, and also annoyed that her own experiments into developing anything other than increased strength and toughness had gone precisely nowhere.  "I've had my powers for a little longer than a decade now, but they didn't start becoming as... pronounced... as they are until recently."  continued Maxima, now realizing that she could have been training for this lifestyle for a couple of years now, rather than come into it raw.  

Velocity gave a small shrug and a smile at Maxima's comments at calling herself a rookie.  "Well, everyone has to begin at some point.  And I can understand taking ones time in getting into things.  My first couple of years were mainly minor stuff, stopping small robberies, helping people out, and the like.  I was not regularly fighting supervillains until just before my Senior year." 

Crusader

"I can understand that; I wouldn't let the 'new' thing get you down. Compared to the other Crusaders before me, I've still got a ways to go. Kinda makes me a little envious of some of these kids..." He laughed at the notion, looking around the room. There were plenty of heroes not much older than some of his students. For all he knew, some of them could very well have been his students. "But I guess in a way, I've got heroing in my genes. Don't get me wrong... I don't have powers or anything, just a really good sense of direction!"

The speedster took an unnecessary look around the room at Crusader's comment.  Her goggles were constantly feeding her images of everything going on around her, an influx of visual information that would make most people dizzy.  But she was very aware of those sorts of visual cues when interacting with people, even while in costume. 

She then focused back on Crusader as she replied, "well, there is certainly something to be said about those who continue legacies as you are.  Certainly helps with giving you a more defined direction and purpose I would think.  I know there was a period of time after I first developed my powers that I was not sure I should even try to use them to fight crime."   

As the current song playing came to an end, a somewhat more recent song came on as Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses began to play.

Errant

The telepath's appearance was without fanfare, or an entourage.  He took the opportunity to practice on his way over, and released the telepathic veil over him the moment he was indoors.  Not that he was trying to sneak up on anyone here, more he was practicing with his abilities, and that was something that tended to get him hard looks at the academy.  However on the street less so.  He was most decidedly not in his Academy uniform tonight.  Wearing the dark grey hooded sweater, and his black mask that covered his head, Errant did tend towards pragmatism over style.  It was his nature.

Parties weren't, but Subito had told him to show, and rather than fight something like that, it was just easier to arrive, mutter a hello and then to disappear.  Not understanding the Christmas thing at all, especially since in most cases people talked it up from a family angle and... that was not something he wanted to think about.

Fast-Forward 

With his wife's hand in his, Richard Cline zipped up to the front security gate of Freedom Hall, putting the speedster and the psychic just on the edge of the fortress-like building's lawn. He looked up at the familiar structure and took off his sunglasses, twenty years falling away in an instant. For a moment, he wasn't a confident celebrity speedster on his way to a meet-and-greet with fellow heroes - he was a scared kid with superpowers, running his way through the end of the world. Vivid images of this building in flames, then smashed to rubble, the sky swarming with Omegadrones all around him, flashed briefly before his mind's eye. But as his hand tightened on Paige's, their gloves crinkling, he remembered the intervening years again. 

"Well well well!" The voice from above caught both their attentions, and Richard looked up to see a very familiar figure making a landing by them. Lady Liberty, Beth Walton-Wright, had flown in wearing a red Christmas sweater with a white star on the tree and blue jeans - Richard appreciated her adherence to a theme. The exemplar of law and order smiled at the two ex-supervillains, then hugged them both. She was of their generation, old enough that she'd been a hero back when the two of them were criminals, and she'd been in Freedom City twenty years before too. "If it isn't my favorite celebrity criminals. Merry Christmas, Richard and Paige." 

Hologram

"Merry Christmas, Beth," Paige replied, hugging and air-kissing the iconic heroine with the measured warmth of someone who's spent a long time networking. "But you know, eventually you're going to have to stop calling us that," she teased.  "It's been twenty years this past summer since we had our last caper, and we're trying to be good examples for the kids now," Tugging off her gloves and hat, Paige smoothed out her hair before they all walked into the party. Her outfit this evening was reminiscent of her costume, black turtleneck and slacks, but the fabric of her sweater was worked through with shining silver thread, matching the silver earth-shaped pendant and slender chain belt that replaced flash patch and utility belt tonight. As she looked around, Paige wished she'd brought a camera. It had been many years since she'd seen so many heroes together in one place. 

Arcturus

"I know the feeling... I broke my share of cell phones when I was at Claremont. They just don't make 'em sturdy enough for bear paws, I guess." Marcus laughed; for the longest time, he went without one because he was tired of replacing them.

"I had a little bit of an incident at the end of the semester that made it kind of hard to start college right after so I decided to do a little bit of personal research instead. Trying to get a solid grip on the whole magic thing." Vague as it was, Arc still didn't like talking about what had happened in May. Only he and one other person in the room knew what happened, and while he'd somewhat gotten over it, he still was dealing with some of the emotional and physical aftermath of it. His regenerative abilities, after all, couldn't heal everything.

"I've actually started looking at magic on a global scale. It's really more of a hobby than anything else... That field trip to Africa really got me thinking, but I haven't figured out a real, practical use for it or the random magical contraptions I've been building. Other than that... working in the Theatre District is what's paying the bills. Set design is actually a lot of fun. Keeps me occupied when I'm not rooting around in the dark for things that go bump in the night."

"But that's enough about me," he said, a bit embarrassed about having gone on as long as he did. He never was much for talking about himself. It was that party at War-Earth all over again. "I'm sure you guys have plenty of stories to tell, too!"

Glamazon

Thaelia nodded her head along having no such issue in shyness when recollecting the past.  "Oh yes, before the semester began.  Tsunami and I did battle over the high seas with pirates.  Much metal was clashed and boasts were exchanged.  There are plenty of other exciting tales that have been woven.  A battle in your city as foes descended by the five."

In the corner of her eye had occasionally seen those whom had been arriving after them.  An easy task as they hadn't stepped to far into the building before running into Marcus.  Practically spinning around when Errant arrived she would leave the conversation to try and drag the mentalist over to them.  Knowing full well he wouldn't make any overt notions to socialize if he wasn't dragged.  "Come along the others would be most pleased to see you."

Wail

"How is it I'm the only one who actually looks twenty years older, then?" a resonant bass voice inquired of the television hosts and paragon as a broad shouldered frame pushed two facing doors open at once in order to comfortably step in the hall just behind them. Keith LaMarr certainly had more lines on his face than he'd had two decades prior and twin streaks of grey marked the beard he'd grown in the intervening time. He was no less physically imposing, though the dark turtleneck with horizontal stripes in red and green softened things somewhat.

Cannonade

"I thought I had an idea of what kinds of gnarly things I'd find in a back alley when I first came to this city."

Gabriel snorts and shakes his head.

"Boy was I wrong. A party like this is great because if anything is "weird", it's a harmless weird. Instead of face-eating demons or back-stabbing fae or laser-spewing gangsters."

Gabriel sobered a bit at the shop talk, nodding absentmindedly.

"I think they're hearing rumors you, me, and the other folks who watch Southside are "away". And while I have gone on some rather interesting trips, some of which you've been on, and I do spend some time in seclusion elsewhere, it's not enough that I won't catch every rumor on the street anyways. Most of the folks down in Southside are good, honest folks, and seem to dislike the...intruders. A lot of the less savory elements that have been in that area for a while are quieting down, and they don't like people "muscling in". Gotta love territory fights making things easier.

And yeah. Right now it's just a trickle; left alone it might become a flood."

He grinned at the helm comment.

"Just like in fashion and acting, accessorizing is key in heroics."

"Yeah, this is the kind of weird I'm fine with," Cannonade said, looking around at all the other party goers. "And hey, our kinda weird ain't bad all the time. Seen a lot of stuff I wouldn't trade for the world. Other Earths, homes of the gods, the future, the past... it's just a matter of taking all the really screwed-up crap as it comes. Knowing you've gotta keep dealing with it, but hey, at least you can. Means it won't spill out so that it lands in the laps of the people who can't." 

He took another sip of the eggnog; he was starting to wonder if it had been specially calibrated for people with strong fortitude, because he was starting to feel it. It had been a while since he'd really felt booze. "And hey, let 'em come to Southside. We can take 'em." 

He raised his glass high as Wail appeared, calling out across the hall - nowhere near enough to match the man, because who could. "Hey, Wail!" he said. "Great to see ya! And don't say crap like that - you wear it well." 

Fast-Forward 

Oh sh-it, it's Wail! It was hard not to think that, after so much conditioning over the years. "LaMarr, look at you, you old son-of-a-gun, how's it hanging, man?" He pumped Keith's bigger fist in his and went on, "You don't look so bad. You're not getting older, dude, you're just turning into a polar bear very slowly." He winked. Up close Fast-Forward didn't look exactly like the punk kid who'd fought alongside Wail and the rest of 1-800-JUSTICE twenty years earlier (and neither did Hologram), but as he knew he certainly looked a hell of a lot younger than fifty. "It's good to see you, man." 

"It's good to see all of you," added Lady Liberty. "Keith, Richard, Paige; it's been too long since we were all together. I had selfish reasons for inviting you all here tonight, but I'm glad we're together again anyway. There aren't enough of us..." Suddenly, and completely unexpectedly for people familiar with the calm, level-headed diplomat, Lady Liberty burst into tears. "Oh! Oh, I'm sorry," she said, wiping her eyes, "it's these damn...look, I promised myself I'd tell Velocity and Fleur de Joie first, but I'll see you all later tonight. Thanks so much for coming." She headed off at that, wiping her eyes with her hand. 

Foreshadow

"I'd like to think the hard work goes a ways too.  Admittedly, I did have the advantage of riding someone else's coattails when it comes to the reputation department.  My predecessor, loathed public displays like this and tried to keep out of the spotlight as best he could.  But break enough bones in the Southside and make enough big whigs sweat and people start to talk.  'Course the name's big enough to put pressure on a guy now.  At least it makes the criminals scream for their lives."   Foreshadow shrugged after his response.  He'd seen various criminal expectations when they saw him appear in costume.  If they were lucky enough for him to leave them conscious before they actually caught sight of him that was.  Some thought he was some sort of spirit, some the original Foreshadow, others realized he wasn't David, and then of course there were those whom had no idea what he outfit represented.

"Anyways, no need for the humility.  Your reputation precedes you as well.  Perhaps I should be the one humbled here."  Foreshadow told Gabriel.

"I've been hearing enough rumbles to tell me you've already cemented your own reputation. And name recognition to the point of instant surrender is never a bad thing. I occasionally manage that myself, especially if it's a "turf war"; usually they at least stop the fight and stand back, if not tossing down their guns and walking away. Admittedly, I can sometimes run a bit "soft" on some of the folks in Southside..."

He shrugs.

"But considering how I operate, a velvet glove is probably best. I'm not really made for working from the shadows like yourself or Raven. Besides, a couple of the stubborn kids actually get the message."

Gabriel actually shrugs a bit at the compliment, looking almost uncomfortable.

"No, no. I'm just the sort who tends to make a more...public spectacle of things. Mostly because that's what I've found meshes best with my style, and perhaps just a bit because I still love the stage."

Cannonade

"Yeah, this is the kind of weird I'm fine with," Cannonade said, looking around at all the other party goers. "And hey, our kinda weird ain't bad all the time. Seen a lot of stuff I wouldn't trade for the world. Other Earths, homes of the gods, the future, the past... it's just a matter of taking all the really screwed-up crap as it comes. Knowing you've gotta keep dealing with it, but hey, at least you can. Means it won't spill out so that it lands in the laps of the people who can't."

He took another sip of the eggnog; he was starting to wonder if it had been specially calibrated for people with strong fortitude, because he was starting to feel it. It had been a while since he'd really felt booze. "And hey, let 'em come to Southside. We can take 'em."

He raised his glass high as Wail appeared, calling out across the hall - nowhere near enough to match the man, because who could. "Hey, Wail!" he said. "Great to see ya! And don't say crap like that - you wear it well."

Gabriel gives a sage nod at Cannonade's words.

"True enough, true enough. The fact that we haven't gone crazy is testimony enough at least some of it wasn't all bad. Plus, getting together with other heroes helps eliminate the silly fantasy of being alone in our burden."

He laughed at the bold proclamation.

"Indeed! Let them come, all at once or one at a time. We'll be ready!"

At the other hero's salute to the elder hero, Gabriel turned with a smile. Instead of adding to the cross-room conversation, the man in silver and white opted instead to raise his glass in salute and give a smile and respectful nod to the other sound-slinger in the Hall.

Velocity

Velocity had excused herself from speaking with Maxima and Crusader in order to lead Silver Spider back to a room where she could change clothes. After leaving her friend to change, the yellow clad speedster had made her way back to the party. She was just entering the main lobby when she ran into Lady Liberty.

"Oh hey, Merry Christmas!" Velocity said to one of her fellow League members she had known the longest. "I was hoping you would be stopping by."

"I wouldn't miss it.  I can still remember when you used to be one of our guests at one of these, back when you were still in high school." Lady Liberty replied, giving Velocity a hug. "And Merry Christmas to you as well. I was just looking for you as a matter of fact. We need to find Fleur, I have something I need to talk to the two of you about."

"Fleur, she was over near the entrance last I saw." The speedster replied as she quickly began scanning the party for the familiar green haired figure.

Shadowblade stepped gracefully out of the cab and shivered in the cold air.  Given the pains she’d taken to look her best, she’d elected not to simply shadow-jumped her way across town to Freedom Hall - the exertion would have left her dress and hair in a frightful mess.  She’d chosen to wear a formal gown of black with dark gray accents.  The dress fit her closely above the waist, sleeveless with a high front but open to mid-back; it flowed about her legs and fell nearly to the ground.  She’d worn her dark hair up with a few tresses falling free to frame her face.  She’d kept her mask, though; the stylized black mask covered her eyes and the right half of her face and, hopefully, would continue to shield her identity.  

But her cloak and gown were inadequate protection from the wind - one little jump hopefully wouldn’t muss her too much.  She teleported to the main doors and stepped inside with a flutter of nervous tension.  She’d only recently begun her work as Shadowblade here in Freedom City and would never have expected an invitation.  Indeed, if not for a chance encounter with some members of the Freedom League while she had been out patrolling, she never would have been invited.  But the yellow-clad speedster named Velocity had personally delivered the invitation, much to Shadowblade’s surprise and delight.  Still, she felt very much the interloper, as she had not really met any of the heroes she saw moving about the room.

Still, she knew how to behave at a formal event, and she tried to keep her nervousness from her face as deposited her cloak in the cloakroom and entered the main lobby of Freedom Hall.  She smoothed a few creases out of her gown and had to stop herself from checking her hair for the umpteenth time.  She took a deep, unobtrusive breath, donned a polite smile, and stepped in the impressively festive warmth and light of Freedom Hall and moved unhurriedly toward the clusters of people chatting and laughing around the room.

Edited by Corsecjedi

Gabriel noticed Lady Liberty and Velocity heading over into the crowd as Wail and two older heroes he recognized as the reformed Hologram and Fast-Forward (their show was quite fun) entered. The reason this was worth noticing was that for the moment there was no one "manning the doors", and just then an individual walked in looking lost and confused. Luckily, Gabriel was a quick eater, and had already polished off the small plate he'd been carrying. He finished his glass of warm cider and tossed everything in the trash receptacle nearby, giving Foreshadow and Cannonade a smile. 

"Pardon me, gentlemen, it seems we're still receiving guests, and some of the others are engaged in other matters. Hosting duty calls!"

And then he was slipping through the crowd (it would be rude to just zoom over everyone's heads), and within a minute was there at the door, offering Shadowblade a smile and a handshake.

"Greetings, madam. Welcome to the Freedom League's Christmas party. My name is Gabriel. I don't believe we've had the pleasure of making acquaintance?"

Edited by KnightDisciple

Foreshadow

Foreshadow watched as Gabriel walked to greet someone who entered.  No doubt part of the whole League's welcoming committee vibe going on.  The masked heroine Gabriel met up with was pleasing to the eye no doubt.  But Erick tried to keep the professional courtesy in not hitting on other heroes. Hence why, Velocity got a glass of cider and not the normal rapport he would try and follow the glass up with.  So Foreshadow made no motion to follow after Gabriel staying back with Cannonade and simply raising a glass in the remaining hero's direction.  Chuckling after Cannonade's loud proclamation before quieting himself by taking another sip of his own glass.

"Alright. I submit. The smell wins. I'll go get myself a bite to eat."  Erick told Cannode whom he wasn't sure was still quite with the world of perceptive conversation thanks to the eggnogg.  Not like it wasn't already the safest place in the world to get plastered.  Taking a silent step away he'd make his own way over to the serving area.

Edited by HG Morrison

And then he was slipping through the crowd (it would be rude to just zoom over everyone's heads), and within a minute was there at the door, offering Shadowblade a smile and a handshake.

"Greetings, madam. Welcome to the Freedom League's Christmas party. My name is Gabriel. I don't believe we've had the pleasure of making acquaintance?"

Shadowblade smiled as the man in bright silver armor and white cloth greeted her, eyes twinkling as she took in the obviously added-for-the-occasion Santa hat.  She took his proffered hand in hers.  "Tis a pleasure and a privilege, friend Gabriel," she said in her archaic speech.  "Sooth, I have heard much of thee.  Canst hardly abide in this fair city without hearing oft of silver-tongued Gabriel.  And permit me to name myself in turn; I am Shadowblade."  She dropped him a full, courtly curtsy as she introduced herself, just as her governess had taught her so many years ago - her manner as Shadowblade was far more courtly than she ever bothered to behave as Elanor.  Her smile became warmer for a moment as she added, "Thou hast my gratitude for the greeting, as well.  Certes, I was seized with trepidation about joining such an august gathering whilst still so untried and unproven.  Yet fair Velocity was kind enough to extend the invitation, and t'would take one far stronger than I to refuse."  She smiled again and gracefully waved a hand about the room.  "If it please thee, accept my compliments on the livery of thy hall. The decorations are bravely done."

Shadowblade smiled as the man in bright silver armor and white cloth greeted her, eyes twinkling as she took in the obviously added-for-the-occasion Santa hat.  She took his proffered hand in hers.  "Tis a pleasure and a privilege, friend Gabriel," she said in her archaic speech.  "Sooth, I have heard much of thee.  Canst hardly abide in this fair city without hearing oft of silver-tongued Gabriel.  And permit me to name myself in turn; I am Shadowblade."  She dropped him a full, courtly curtsy as she introduced herself, just as her governess had taught her so many years ago - her manner as Shadowblade was far more courtly than she ever bothered to behave as Elanor.  Her smile became warmer for a moment as she added, "Thou hast my gratitude for the greeting, as well.  Certes, I was seized with trepidation about joining such an august gathering whilst still so untried and unproven.  Yet fair Velocity was kind enough to extend the invitation, and t'would take one far stronger than I to refuse."  She smiled again and gracefully waved a hand about the room.  "If it please thee, accept my compliments on the livery of thy hall. The decorations are bravely done."

Gabriel smiled more broadly and offered a bow to return the curtsy. When he speaks next, he has a slight Irish lilt to his words, and his eyes dance with just a bit of mischief.

"Now you're flattering me. It's an honor and a privilege, Shadowblade. And don't worry if it's a bit intimidating."

He made a slightly grand, sweeping gesture toward the assemblage of heroes of all sorts.

"We've got heroes of all ages and places here, so no worries about not fitting in. Besides, a gathering like this is a chance to at least make some connections in the business. Networking is key, you know."

He started moving to one side of the hall, subtly guiding them away from the front doors.

"I can't really take credit on much; Velocity and Fleur de Joie did a lot of the work, but plenty of others helped. I was mostly helping coordinate some of the support staff. Anyways, this is obviously the main meet-and-greet area. Over there where there's a small mob is the food room. Over down that hall is a couple of the public museum rooms, with bits and bobs from heroic days of yore. And down there is where the dance floor is. I don't think anything's fired up yet, but there will be dancing, I'm sure of that. Food's good, though. Very nice spread, and it's prepped for pretty much any diet."

Graft

Getting someone to work his shift wasn't easy. Leaping from building to building, trying his best to get to the hall within a reasonable length of time, that wasn't easy either. Blitzing through his paperwork to make sure he could take the rest of the night off, that wasn't easy at all.

But the view alone was worth it. As Graft stepped into the room, he gazed around at the decorations, the people. He managed, through noticeable effort, to keep the suit stable. It looked weird, still. An insect carapace covered his whole body, but he had eyes, he had a mouth. He looked humanoid, and no muscles or bones were exposed for once.

He expected to be one of the tallest people in the room. He was certainly not disappointed.

Gabriel smiled more broadly and offered a bow to return the curtsy. When he speaks next, he has a slight Irish lilt to his words, and his eyes dance with just a bit of mischief.

"Now you're flattering me. It's an honor and a privilege, Shadowblade. And don't worry if it's a bit intimidating."

He made a slightly grand, sweeping gesture toward the assemblage of heroes of all sorts.

"We've got heroes of all ages and places here, so no worries about not fitting in. Besides, a gathering like this is a chance to at least make some connections in the business. Networking is key, you know."

He started moving to one side of the hall, subtly guiding them away from the front doors.

"I can't really take credit on much; Velocity and Fleur de Joie did a lot of the work, but plenty of others helped. I was mostly helping coordinate some of the support staff. Anyways, this is obviously the main meet-and-greet area. Over there where there's a small mob is the food room. Over down that hall is a couple of the public museum rooms, with bits and bobs from heroic days of yore. And down there is where the dance floor is. I don't think anything's fired up yet, but there will be dancing, I'm sure of that. Food's good, though. Very nice spread, and it's prepped for pretty much any diet."

Shadowblade gave him a swift smile as she heard the trace of an Irish accent creep into his voice.  "I hope thou wilt not hold my homeland against me, sirrah," she said as she inclined her head.  "In sooth, tis most pleasant to meet one of our brothers from the Emerald Isle."  She followed his slow movement away from the doors and glanced around the hall again; her eyes brightened as she looked toward the hall Gabriel had identified as leading to a public museum.  "Greatly do I desire to view the museums thou spake of, but t'would not be courteous to spurn thy fellows' company so."

She hesitated for a moment then added, "I pray thee, if thou hast other duties to attend, do not tarry for my account.  But, if thou art free, greatly would I appreciate the honor of some few introductions.  I confess, I am acquainted with few of thy fellows, having only recently arrived in fair Freedom City."  A small smile touched her lips as she added, "And, as thou said, networking is of great import."

Edited by Corsecjedi

Hologram

Paige turned at the sound of the new voice, automatically placing a hand on Richard's arm when he heard his mental consternation. No soothing or restraint proved necessary, however, and she stepped back to allow the two old war-horses their reunion. When Richard was done, she greeted Wail with a smile and a slightly diffident hug. "Hello, Keith, it's nice to see you again." They'd never exactly been friends, but they'd been allies through a hell of a fight, and in some ways that mattered more. "How have you been? Are you still teaching?" 

She turned, her face creasing with concern as Beth began to cry. "Beth, are you-" She stopped and watched with worried puzzlement as the legendary paragon wiped her face and took off suddenly. "I wonder what that was all about," she murmured. "I hope nothing's wrong with her or Trev..." That was the only thing she could think of that could unnerve Lady Liberty so badly, and Beth's entirely-human husband wasn't getting any younger either. 

Shadowblade gave him a swift smile as she heard the trace of an Irish accent creep into his voice.  "I hope thou wilt not hold my homeland against me, sirrah," she said as she inclined her head.  "In sooth, tis most pleasant to meet one of our brothers from the Emerald Isle."  She followed his slow movement away from the doors and glanced around the hall again; her eyes brightened as she looked toward the hall Gabriel had identified as leading to a public museum.  "Greatly do I desire to view the museums thou spake of, but t'would not be courteous to spurn thy fellows' company so."

She hesitated for a moment then added, "I pray thee, if thou hast other duties to attend, do not tarry for my account.  But, if thou art free, greatly would I appreciate the honor of some few introductions.  I confess, I am acquainted with few of thy fellows, having only recently arrived in fair Freedom City."  A small smile touched her lips as she added, "And, as thou said, networking is of great import."

"The Lord calls us to forgive so that we may be forgiven. Among the sins of the world, not being born on the Emerald Isle is a comparatively minor one, I suppose."

He was clearly holding back a bit of laughter.

"Yeah, I suppose checking out the museum would be better when the mixer's died down a little. And other than keeping an eye out for new arrivals who need greeting, I'm not really burdened with "duties". As for introductions...you know, I was just talking with someone who, if I might infer a bit of your methodology by your name, might be more in tune with your style of operation."

He guided them through the crowd until he was back over by Foreshadow and Cannonade.

"Gentlemen, this lovely woman goes by the name Shadowblade. She's new in town. Ma'am, this is Foreshadow, and Cannonade. Cannonade's a man a bit after my own heart, though he tends to work with the fist and not the thunder, as it were. Foreshadow's one of the best stealth experts we've seen in a while; he's the one who I thought might run more your speed, as it were."

Wail

LaMarr made a flat sound of dismissal at Richard's assurances but shook the gregarious speedster's hand warmly all the same. Even after so many years it was a little strange not to think of Fast-Forward and Hologram as criminals but friendly faces from the past were few and far between these days. Not like they were ever the worst of that bunch anyhow. He gave a nod across the hall of Cannonade and Gabriel, vaguely pleased to recognize some of what looked to be a distressingly youthful crowd and made an exaggerated, preening show of smoothing his eyebrows with a thumb.

Paige's hug he accepted with the brief hesitation of someone who rarely made such gestures, moving to one side and further into the Hall as a masked woman in a dark dress stepped in behind him followed by a towering figure covered in forest green chitin, putting Wail in the unusual position of actually looking slightly upward at someone. "Jiminy Cricket, as if I don't have enough new names to remember each September," he rumbled with a subtle curve to his lips.

"I am, and well enough. Back out on the streets when the occasion arises and wondering how I ever convinced myself I could stop for good." The shrug he gave the television hosts was clear: they were what they were, regardless of passing time. "You've got a boy around school age now, don't you?" He'd been out of the loop as far as gossip amidst their shared circles went for a while but that seemed about right. "Someone's retiring or pregnant," he predicted as Beth flew off, recalling more than one faculty farewell party. "Or both."

"The Lord calls us to forgive so that we may be forgiven. Among the sins of the world, not being born on the Emerald Isle is a comparatively minor one, I suppose."

He was clearly holding back a bit of laughter.

"Yeah, I suppose checking out the museum would be better when the mixer's died down a little. And other than keeping an eye out for new arrivals who need greeting, I'm not really burdened with "duties". As for introductions...you know, I was just talking with someone who, if I might infer a bit of your methodology by your name, might be more in tune with your style of operation."

He guided them through the crowd until he was back over by Foreshadow and Cannonade.

"Gentlemen, this lovely woman goes by the name Shadowblade. She's new in town. Ma'am, this is Foreshadow, and Cannonade. Cannonade's a man a bit after my own heart, though he tends to work with the fist and not the thunder, as it were. Foreshadow's one of the best stealth experts we've seen in a while; he's the one who I thought might run more your speed, as it were."

Shadowblade chuckled at his jest about the sin of not being born Irish - at least, she thought it was a jest.  Gabriel clearly had that easy skill with new acquaintances that she'd always seemed to lack, and she was grateful for his introductions and relaxed manner.  She turned her attention to the two other heroes as Gabriel introduced them and dropped them each a curtsy.  "Gentlemen," she said, admiring their festive costume additions.  The one called Cannonade seemed to be drinking deeply of the occasion, as it were - she hoped the stock of drinks included a good cider or two.  But she pushed the idle thought aside for the moment and smiled warmly.  "Tis an honor to greet you both, good sirs."

She turned toward Foreshadow and nodded respectfully, "Friend Gabriel hast the right of it.  I have some small talent for the clandestine and affinity for the shadows.  Yet no skill is such that it cannot be bettered.  Certes that thou hast more skill than I, and happy would I be to learn some small measure of thy craft."  She paused and suddenly realized that she might have been too forward for a casual meeting.  She blushed slightly and hurried to add, "If, of course, thou art even willing to speak to me again, after being so uncouth at such as festive occasion!  Pray, forgive my boldness."  

Shadowblade chuckled at his jest about the sin of not being born Irish - at least, she thought it was a jest.  Gabriel clearly had that easy skill with new acquaintances that she'd always seemed to lack, and she was grateful for his introductions and relaxed manner.  She turned her attention to the two other heroes as Gabriel introduced them and dropped them each a curtsy.  "Gentlemen," she said, admiring their festive costume additions.  The one called Cannonade seemed to be drinking deeply of the occasion, as it were - she hoped the stock of drinks included a good cider or two.  But she pushed the idle thought aside for the moment and smiled warmly.  "Tis an honor to greet you both, good sirs."

She turned toward Foreshadow and nodded respectfully, "Friend Gabriel hast the right of it.  I have some small talent for the clandestine and affinity for the shadows.  Yet no skill is such that it cannot be bettered.  Certes that thou hast more skill than I, and happy would I be to learn some small measure of thy craft."  She paused and suddenly realized that she might have been too forward for a casual meeting.  She blushed slightly and hurried to add, "If, of course, thou art even willing to speak to me again, after being so uncouth at such as festive occasion!  Pray, forgive my boldness."  

Foreshadow

Foreshadow whom had returned from the conference with his own plate of food.  The announcement of variety was true to form they even had beetroot soup.  He hadn't grabbed it, making sure that every food choice he picked didn't look Russian let alone Eastern European.  Ending up with a very Germanic spread overall.  Foreshadow wasn't sure he'd agree on being one of the best stealth experts that Gabriel had seen.  Considering that 'while' included the likes of Raven for a league member like him.  But he'd take the compliment rather than refute it, especially seeing as Erick would seek to give whatever truth the claim lacked.

He did have to take a moment to follow the accent of the woman in front of him.  He had to wonder if it was a testament of having done this for a while now to not g  "A pleasure to make your acquaintance and no need for apologies.  Although to expand on 'sir' Gabriel's claim, I can get by alright when it comes to subterfuge.  I wouldn't presume myself your better in that area.  However, what I am good at is being able to adapt from being subtle to having a spotlight on me.  If you ever find yourself in the working the Southside, I'm sure we'd be able to compare notes."

Along with getting his food, Foreshadow had mad sure to pick himself up a second glass of cider.  Much like when he handed Velocity an extra one earlier in the evening he reached down to hand the newfound one to Shadowblade.  His attention returning to Gabriel.  "And hey the big guy's fists sound a whole lot like thunder when they're smacking against something at least."