Holiday Cheer! [OPEN]

Thevshi

Predator

Predator stood silent sentry by the door, watching as others reacted to Archeville’s tale. Judging by their expressions it one of mixed emotions.

Many seemed skeptical, while others stared in disbelief. Perhaps it spoke more of her that nothing within the story surprised her. She had seen a fair share of ‘strange’ things between her home world and while she was shifting through dimensions prior to her arrival here.

A memory came unbidden, hazy. When she tried to recall details a pain crept in. It’s becoming a reoccurring issue when she attempted to remember details before her arrival. Not every time, but more often than she cared to consider.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/5/2024 at 9:18 PM, MoonSimply said:

La Puma Negra

"...This is nice." He said quietly as they danced. He wanted to ask why she was a cat, but he didn't want to be rude; he remembered him putting his foot in his mouth with Baz. So he definitely wasn't going to ruin the moment by talking about that.

They might not be the best dancers, but Michael knew it wasn't a competition. It was a time for relaxing, for enjoying the holidays with a cute girl and not worrying too much about where all the adults went to, because that was adult stuff and this was for kids. Maybe after he graduated highschool- and college-, he could do the adult stuff. But for now, he was happy just dancing.

He gradually floated up in the air, keeping his grip on Carmen as he did so to lift her up in the air during a slower bout of music. He didn't take her too high, but high enough that they left the ground behind as they danced. It was difficult to tell, even for Michael- whose brain was occupied in other thoughts-, if he had done it on purpose or if he had lost control of his ability to keep himself on the ground momentarily. But his grip was firm and he wasn't going to drop her.

"Your...fur. Is uh, really soft." 

Copycat 

Oh great. Goddamned alien Santa ClausWhen neither Velocity nor Fleur seemed to think the idea was particularly amusing, Ashley groaned internally, crossing her arms over her chest. Is that really a thing? Goddamit. 

When the security alert beeped, she took the arrival of a mostly-shirtless Jack of all Blades as an opportunity to escape this scenario. (Velocity got there first, but then she usually did) "Predator," she murmured softly, "you're with me." No reason Jean has to sit here and watch this malarkey. 

Once they were out in the crowded hall, she made a bee-line for the new arrival, remembering that Erik would certainly know Ellie's friend from high school, at least. "Jack of all Blades!" she said ebulliently, "Merry Christmas! I guess VINCE called you, huh?" 

Shadowborne

Muirne chuckled at Luke's comment about not getting tired of watching her dance, smiling up at him. Before focusing again as he assures her that he wouldn't tell anyone. 

"Th- thank you Luke. I- Really, thank you." She pauses, running her tongue over her suddenly dry lips. "I was born nearly one thousand four hundred years ago. In a village in the kingdom of Kent. My father was the village blacksmith. My powers manifested when I was young, and from there I was taught to be a hero, like from the stories." There is another pause, and a shuddering intake of breath. "A tyrant conquered our village when I was fifteen, he killed so many, my father included. I set out for revenge. I drove his men away before attacking him in his tower. The creature we fought with Fleur and Tiamat, it took his form. I tried to- He turned me to stone. I stayed like that until four years ago, when some researchers stumbled upon me and somehow broke the spell. I woke up in a world entirely different from the one I knew. I've been trying so hard to catch up on over a thousand years of everything and then Cas happened and... I nearly lost everything again and... I don't want there to be any more secrets. I... if you get hurt again because I'm not brave enough to share these things with you..." Muirne tries to blink back tears as she meets his eyes, the memory of her spear piercing his flesh haunting her.

GHOST

Casper sits, holding Grim's invisible hand in his (which is pretty weird, but he tries to be casual about it, not that anyone in there is looking at him right now, anyway), and just stares at the not-so-good Doktor through his goggles, flipping back and forth between x-ray and normal, and, yeah... Nothing to see beyond what he'd expect.

Fleur and Velocity might seem to take it at face value, and Patriocat seems like she is very unamused at Archeville's Space Santa story, but Ghost? 

God, he is trying so hard not to laugh.

Oh, Casper believes it. He haven't been to space, but he's met aliens, and honestly? Why not? There's weirder things happening. 

And it still just great.

"Hey, Grim?" he whispers, leaning closer to her. "Is that something that usually happens with Archeville?"

Jack of all Blades

“I’m not yelling at you, I’m just yelling!” Jack finished yelling into his phone before registering Velocity’s approach. “Daytona! Hey. Now I’m glad I didn’t go back for my wig; nobody ever lets me know when these things go out of fashion.” Megan had known the swordsman long enough to recognize that the banter was reflexive, almost unconscious as his body language said he was still anticipating danger.

When Copycat and Predator approached he squared his shoulders as though getting ready to face multiple opponents then caught himself. With visible effort he relaxed his posture and raised his hands in front of him, palms out. “Much as I love being swarmed by pretty people, I get it. Folks are probably worried I’m going to turn Archeville’s esophagus from an outie to an innie. But right now I just need to know my kids are okay. Neko was supposed to be working the daycare; have any of you seen Owain?”

Velocity

Megan gave another small smile at Jack’s reflexive banter, glad that he had regained his composure and calmed down. "The split ends wigs give you are such a pain aren't they?" She joked back.

22 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Jack of all Blades

“Much as I love being swarmed by pretty people, I get it. Folks are probably worried I’m going to turn Archeville’s esophagus from an outie to an innie. But right now I just need to know my kids are okay. Neko was supposed to be working the daycare; have any of you seen Owain?”

"I have more faith in you than that Jack. I came out here in part to let you know everything was under control, but also to show you the way to where we are meeting with Viktor."

"But I fully understand your concern. My foster daughter is helping Neko in the daycare, and I have not heard anything to suggest there are problems there. I am afraid I have not seen Owain, but my son and several of his Claremont classmates are currently out on the makeshift dance floor," the speedster gestured towards the doors to the room that had been set up as a dance floor, "and enjoying the music. If you want to look around for Owain and check in on Neko before going back to where the others are, take as much time as you need. You have always been more than welcome here."

Geckoman & Spellbound

Geckoman looked at Viktor incredulously. "That's what we're going with here? You met a space alien and now the magic of Christmas has moved you?" He shook his head wearily and closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath. As he did, he sniffed. The Dok hadn't looked or sounded like he'd been spinning an elaborate yarn, but... well. He sifted through the mess of smells, so many unfamiliar ones criss-crossing and looping. He vaguely recognised some of them, Velocity's burst of ozone, Fleur's botanic explosion. Lizzie he could always immediately identify, that woodsmoke and honey perfume, the tang of engine grease and coolant... He could even pick up Erik among the masses scents drifting through the door, a mingling scent of strawberries and homemade cologne. He'd been running... from a party? Definitely a lot of tension, but less pissed than he'd expected. 

And were those mini quiches? He hadn't even eaten yet, why didn't things kick off after a good dinner?

. "... OK, damn, I'm convinced. Man's not lying." Geckoman winked, tapping his nose. 

Liz rolled her eyes. "You need to stop doing that to people. It's weird." She gave Chris a wordless look, to which he briefly nodded, and she breathed a sigh of relief. "Well, y'know, Doktor, from personal experience, there's a lot worse places to start."

Geckoman rocked forwards, his feet still up on the table. Putting his hands flat on the table, he reared up from his chair casually, hanging off the edge of the table. "Yeah, she's... kind of boxing me in here. You did some messed up stuff, dunno what you do to make amends for that. But for what it's worth," he turned and lifted one hand to gesture, still managing to keep in the same awkward position. "Let the man try?" Geckoman leaned back towards Liz. "And I can pitch Jack on that, right?" he gulped sotto voce

Grimalkin 

Grim's natural scent of pine and flowers grew stronger, and then Ghost felt her breath on the back of his neck as she whispered back.

"He's always been fairly whimsical, all cuckoo clocks and bratwurst. People think of Germans as joyless Nazis, but they actually know how to party."

There was a weary sigh that tickled the crimefighter's ear.

"This is exactly the sort of ridiculous bs Dok would get into. So yeah, I believe him."

Doktor Archeville

Most of those who had been watching Archeville knew that he was not entirely human.  (Really, he had never been entirely human, save for a period of about twelve months after ArchEvil & his "de-squid-ification" and his near-death & "reformatting" into a technorganic state).  As soon as he'd stabilized from that change, he had told Miss Americana, and left messages with the Freedom League and the Interceptors -- stubbornly keeping things compartmetalized and secret had gotten him into this mess, and he was not going to make that particular mistake again.  Still, there may have been a few that found his too-flawless skin and low level electromagnetic emissions a bit surprising.

"Ah, I'd wondered how long it would take Jack to get here," he replied, nodding.   What was that tone to his voice?  Hope?  Resignation?  Dread?  All of the above.

"It moved me in a spatial sense, yes," he replied to Geckoman, "but as for inspiring me, well, no, not so much.  I had always planned to return after abount five years -- and in my spacecraft," a hint of irritation crept into his voice.  He took a breath, re-centering himself, "I knew that some of you would not even allow me the chance to speak, with memories of those horrific events still so fresh and raw.  My hope was that, with time, things would have cooled enough that I could at least start the attempt at making amends."

"And yes, I know I may never be able to redeem myself in everyone's eyes," he nodded.  "But I have to try to atone for my actions, to show that I am not who I was at my weakest, on my worst day."

Predator

The armored helm of the Predator armor shifted slightly at Copycat/Patriot. Giving a nod of acknowledgement. She gave the meeting room one last glance, then turned and followed her friend.

In the main hall, the two approached a small gathering. Velocity had beaten them there, of course, and was already engaging with the one Copycat called Jack of Blades.

Cynthia was already retrieving what information it could on the target as the man spoke. Predator watched his body language tense and relax. It was obvious he was attempting civility despite his anger. She could appreciate the evident self control.

As she listened she caught details that they most likely would not want exposed and mentally noted to keep her silence on them.

“If it will reassure you, the one called Doktor Archeville has been cooperating without signs of hostility. He has given the impression of being forthcoming with his intentions.”

On 1/10/2024 at 9:51 AM, Kaede Kimura said:

"Th- thank you Luke. I- Really, thank you." She pauses, running her tongue over her suddenly dry lips. "I was born nearly one thousand four hundred years ago. In a village in the kingdom of Kent. My father was the village blacksmith. My powers manifested when I was young, and from there I was taught to be a hero, like from the stories." 

Luke smiled softly as Murine began to talk, quietly following the rhythm of the music and letting her lean against his chest if she wanted to.  "A thousand years... and I thought I was the eldest..." He teased playfully.

"A good teacher, your old man..."

"A tyrant conquered our village when I was fifteen, he killed so many, my father included. I set out for revenge. I drove his men away before attacking him in his tower. The creature we fought with Fleur and Tiamat, it took his form. I tried to- He turned me to stone. I stayed like that until four years ago, when some researchers stumbled upon me and somehow broke the spell. I woke up in a world entirely different from the one I knew."

"F- I am sorry... I mean, I can  barely imagine you felt." Indeed, separated from all her loved ones, with them much likely been dead and gone for centuries, himself, he certainly would not have taken it kindly.

He tightened his embrace.

"I owe one to those researchers though, I mean, for waking you up."

"I've been trying so hard to catch up on over a thousand years of everything and then Cas happened and... I nearly lost everything again and...

"But you didn't... We didn't..." 

I don't want there to be any more secrets. I... if you get hurt again because I'm not brave enough to share these things with you..." Muirne tries to blink back tears as she meets his eyes, the memory of her spear piercing his flesh haunting her.

"Hey... It's ok." He smiled again. "I mean, for anything you want share, I'll be here, but I won't blame for any you might want to keep..." He shook his head.

"Life of a super-hero ain't easy, you know?" 

"Doubly for one that is dating a dragon." He grinned, closing what little distance there was between them so that their lips could meet if she wanted to.

Jack of all Blades

"Not to be, y'know, an ass about it but historically not giving the impression of hostility has been sort of the issue with him," Jack told Predator, doing up a pair of additional buttons on his shirt that still left it more open than most people would have considered appropriate. "Still, appreciate the vote of confidence, Daytona. And right, sorry; Merry Christmas," he belatedly returned Copycat's well-wishes, running a rueful hand through his hair. "I spent a lot of time figuring out what I'd do if he ever showed up again but the whole parent thing changes everything, yeah?"

Without causing too much of a scene - at least not any more than his noisy entrance and general presence usually caused - Jack hurriedly checked in on Neko and the small children, ruffling her hair and surreptitiously congratulating her and her friends on their emergency procedures without upsetting their charges before reminding her to text Talya with any updates so that she and Min wouldn't worry.

Circling back around to the dance floor he caught Owain's eye from across the room. Seeing that Stesha had entrusted her son to the young man Jack gave him a loose salute and a proud, lopsided smile before turning back to Velocity. "Alright, guess it's reunion time. Lead on."

Velocity

Megan gave Jack a small smile as he mentioned how being a parent changed things. "You always hear from people how being a parent changes your perspective, but when you are young, you don't believe it will actually change you. But then, when you do become a parent, you realize how true it is, and how everything has changed."

After directing Jack to where the daycare was, the speedster waited down at the base of the stairs while he went up to check in on Neko. When he retuned and indicated he was ready to face Viktor, she gave him a nod and lead him back towards the conference room.

As they went, the speedster glanced over. "Seeing as you were not here when I decided to remove my mask," Megan gestured toward her natural blonde hair, "my real name is Megan, though happy to continue answering to Daytona."

Soon, they arrived at the doors to the conference room and Megan led him in.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:04 PM, Heritage said:

Grimalkin 

Grim's natural scent of pine and flowers grew stronger, and then Ghost felt her breath on the back of his neck as she whispered back.

"He's always been fairly whimsical, all cuckoo clocks and bratwurst. People think of Germans as joyless Nazis, but they actually know how to party."

There was a weary sigh that tickled the crimefighter's ear.

"This is exactly the sort of ridiculous bs Dok would get into. So yeah, I believe him."

GHOST

Ghost shakes his head lightly, before whispering back to Grim, as she stands so close to him. 

"Yanno, I thought my life could get ridiculous..."

He leaves it at that. He should focus on the meeting. Maybe give his opinion, now that Geckoman has?

Finally, Ghost raises his hand. "So, uh, hey, I'm Ghost. We haven't really met, Dok, but I got caught up on the fringes of some of the trouble you caused in the past. Before, y'know... all that redemption and such. Anyway, before I start rambling, I'm with Geckoman. Let's give it a shot, see how it goes?"

Angelic 

"It is fine." Angelic had put her fingers over Percy's delicate ears, holding his head in place so he didn't run off and join the cavalcade around the "Deliverer from the Astral Realm" as he was insisting on calling Archeville, the music on the dance floor still playing around them. Eira had done her duty and made sure Miss A and Dragonfly both got the message about the new arrival, for all that she was reasonably sure both those worthies already had their own means of knowing about the party-crasher. 

"Part of being a hero means trust, yes?" She put her hand where his elven heart beat a faint up-tempo version of Santa Baby. "They are the greatest heroes in the world. They will solve this problem. And you," she said, pulling him down for a kiss by his tie, "do not need to solve everything." She kissed him, long and lingeringly, and smiled again. "That is my job, yes?" 

Copycat/The Patriot 

When Velocity took Jack of all Blades aside for the confrontation with Archeville, Copycat took this opportunity to slip into something more comfortable. Trusting Jean to keep an eye on Velocity and Jack of all Blades as they headed for the conference room, she moved fast, practically running in her stocking feet to one of the building's elevators. Well, what looked like an elevator to the untrained eye, anyway. 

And so it was that the Patriot joined everyone for the final confrontation, her jacket gleaming with its pins (a Christmas tree having recently joined the collection), her armored costume gleaming, and any cat mask and cute dresses she might have once been connected to tucked away in the guts of Freedom Hall. 

Before the moment of confrontation could quite begin, she stepped close to Fleur and murmured, "I've got this if you want. Basil's up in the family shelter." 

The truth was that Ashley had not been thrilled to hear that an Axis supersoldier was guarding the littles tonight, one of many, many reasons why Phil was home with Fa'Rua tonight, but by all accounts Neko had earned the trust of the other heroes of Freedom. 

Neko/Owain 

"Everything okay up here," Neko had reported to Erik, tilting her camera back so she could see Owain trying unsuccessfully to keep Fleur's youngest away from a large cookie tray that had made it upstairs with them. There was lots of noise behind her but Erik had been father of a large brood long enough to distinguish the good screaming and running from the bad screaming and running. "There are eyes on the perimeter and nobody has crossed it." Neko had picked up martial English first, and maybe best. "Don't worry, if anyone does, we will take care of them." Erik had known Neko long enough to understand he was hearing a polite and super-kawaii way of phrasing 'the intruders will wish for death but it will never come.'" - in other words, she sounded ready but unafraid. 

Fleur, who had been keeping quiet and letting the discussion at the table unfold, nodded her thanks to Patriot but didn't move to rise. "As strange as the story sounds," she finally said, "I think most of us here have lived through equally strange, if not worse. And plenty of us know about wishes having unexpected consequences." A faint rueful expression crossed her face for just a moment before disappearing again. "Do you know if this is a wish with a time limit, Viktor?" she asked. "Because while I'm inclined towards letting you have your chance at making amends and setting things right, the middle of Freedom Hall during a Christmas party might not be the most auspicious place to get started. Maybe something offsite, with people who've had a chance to put their thoughts in order beforehand... and maybe a couple of neutral facilitators available to referee?"

Predator 

Predator’s attention was splint momentarily as the main screen followed Velocity and Jack, and a second screen followed Copycat. Judging by her path, Jean determined her friend was heading towards the elevators. She figured she had a reason to slip away as she had and decided to stay with the other two.

The armored figure followed the speedster and the, hm, what would she identify Jack of Blades as? She pondered this as she walked behind them towards the conference room. Perhaps she could ask Ashley opinion later.

Predator resumed her previous spot by the door and a few moments later Patriot ‘officially’ joined the gathering. 

The general tone of the room seemed to be one of nervous skepticism, but Jean thought she picked up on some underlying hope from some of those gathered.

She had come to recognize this behavior in hero-types. Despite what may have transpired, a good portion of those that considered themselves heroes are included to grant forgiveness, or at least tolerance, towards former allies and friends that have ‘crossed the line’ in some way. It was actually quite fascinating to watch, she had not been privy to such an event in person.

Doktor Archeville

Archeville was about to respond to Fleur's question, when he saw Velocity return to the conference room with Jack of All Blades.  He jumped at the sight of the hero, and actually pushed his chair back a few inches, but quickly calmed when he realized he was not in immediate danger of having his internal organs skewered in alphabetical order.

"That is, ah," he cleared his throat as he turned his full attention to Fleur, "well, that is a fine idea, yes, as I have no more an idea of how long this... 'visit' will be lasting than you do.  I suspet you may need to call in some of the League's more mystically-inclined associates to see if they can divine what my science cannot."  The rancor that Viktor would have expressed when discussing supernatural matters was absent from his tone, though the unknowns of it all still clearly discomforted him. 

"And as it appears that my Weltraumwohnmobil was not sent back with me, I would also be in need of...," he looked down at his hands splayed on the table, inwardly cringing at what he was about to say, "... lodgings."

On 1/9/2024 at 10:34 AM, Poncho said:

"...This is nice." He said quietly as they danced. He wanted to ask why she was a cat, but he didn't want to be rude; he remembered him putting his foot in his mouth with Baz. So he definitely wasn't going to ruin the moment by talking about that.

They might not be the best dancers, but Michael knew it wasn't a competition. It was a time for relaxing, for enjoying the holidays with a cute girl and not worrying too much about where all the adults went to, because that was adult stuff and this was for kids. Maybe after he graduated highschool- and college-, he could do the adult stuff. But for now, he was happy just dancing.

He gradually floated up in the air, keeping his grip on Carmen as he did so to lift her up in the air during a slower bout of music. He didn't take her too high, but high enough that they left the ground behind as they danced. It was difficult to tell, even for Michael- whose brain was occupied in other thoughts-, if he had done it on purpose or if he had lost control of his ability to keep himself on the ground momentarily. But his grip was firm and he wasn't going to drop her.

"Your...fur. Is uh, really soft." 

La Puma Negra

"You think it's nice..." Carmen would trail off as they both danced. It seemed rather awhile that they were dancing, losing track of time as they went through different songs. Carmen was completely relaxed as it was, not feeling any sort of discomfort from dancing so long. One can only assume that it was the superhuman part of whom or whatever they were that allowed them to get past the endurance test on the dance floor here.

She could feel her feet leave the ground for a few moments, thinking he was picking her when they were actually both flying. Carmen didn't feel like he was going to drop her though, his firm grip upon her, wrapped up in his arms. Almost peaceful and sincere.

"I try to, keep care of it... "

Grimalkin

"I could put you up," offered a suddenly visible Grimalkin, who appeared sitting next to Ghost still holding his hand. "Dok and I had an opportunity to talk a few years ago; I feel comfortable having him at my place. I've got a spare apartment across from mine, partially furnished."

To be honest, Lynn had surprised herself with the offer, but she didn't regret it. She'd spoken to Viktor about the importance of atonement in her faith, as well as her own journey to right the wrongs of her criminal past. In many ways, she was the perfect person to help him.

Edited by Heritage

Geckoman & Spellbound

Chris didn't visibly flinch as Erik walked into the room. At least he didn't seem murderous. That was a good start. Internally, he breathed a sigh of relief. He did almost fall off the desk when Grimalkin suddenly appeared, but he managed to catch himself, hauling himself further up onto the desk. Liz continued utterly unfazed by Velocity and Erik entering the room, "Well, that's a start. It's difficult to do the real work if you don't have anywhere to stay."

Geckoman inhaled slowly, glancing between Viktor and Erik. "Yyyyeah, y'know, and to lay it on the table," he gestured down at the table at his feet. "It'd mean we can keep an eye on you. What's the expression? Believe but don't?"

Liz clicked her tongue. "Trust but verify, hun."

"That's the one. So... do we think we have a plan here, folks?" He turned to gesture to the room, his eyes meeting Erik's sheepishly. 

VINCE

“Well hey! There’s probably a joke there about how you forced me to blow up our old pad,” Vince cut in with exaggerated cheer, still occupying the entire back wall of the room with his simulated space, “but seeing as how that was were my servers were it was less like a house than my skull and I just don’t have the run cycles these days to come up with something pithy on the spot. We’ll workshop it, yeah?”

The hologram sat back heavily in his simulated chair with a glare. A flicker of surprise and hurt ghosted over his expression when Lynn offered Archeville somewhere to stay but Vince schooled his face back into something coolly sardonic before most of the heroes in the room could notice. Angry as he was he couldn’t find it in his program to insist someone - anyone - be forced out onto the street.