Holiday Cheer! [OPEN]

Thevshi

Jack of all Blades

Erik had walked silently into the conference room behind Velocity with none of the bombastic verve with which he’d burst into the main hall. Having accounted for the children his pulse was slow and steady. Among people with whom first impressions had long since passed the quips fell away.

Instead he moved to the wall opposite Archeville, leaning back with his arms crossed. Remaining standing and close to the exit, never taking his eyes off of the unexpected returnee, the swordsman was an even more disconcerting presence for those who had expected him to enter loudly and angrily.

Eventually Chris’ open-ended question demand some sort of response. Erik inhaled slowly through his nose and narrowed his eyes. “Hey. Look at me,” he demanded of Archeville, waiting until their eyes met. He tapped two

fingers of his right hand against his temple. “Are. You. Good?”

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doktor Archeville

He jumped back a bit again as another Interceptor appeared, "Grimalkin!  That... that's exceedingly kind of you to offer."  He bowed his head to her in thanks.

And then there was Erik.

"I..." he began, eyes flicking for a microsecond to the two fingers of Jack's hand which were implying less one of his namesake weapons and more the barrel of a gun.

Ah.

"I do not wish to reply too quickly, for fear of being thought flippant, or that I had rehearsed this.  Though, to be honest," he tilted his head very slightly, but still kept his eyes locked on Jack's, "I have run scenarios like this thousands of times, trying to figure out how best I can make amends, to whatever extent I can make amends."

"Before I left," he began "I received clean bills of health from Miss Americana, Phantom, and Scarab.  No lingering corruption, no dormant entities stitched to my... soul.  I am the first 100% human Archeville to walk the Earth in over 600 years.  Well,"  he glanced down at his synthoflesh-covered hand, "was 100% human."  (Archeville had made sure all the Interceptors had received word of his "reformatting" as soon as he had recovered from it, though whether or not Erik had ever actually read the memo was another matter.)  "My PTSD has improved.  The nightmares are not as bad, nor as frequent.  I cannot say if I am good, but I can say I am trying to do good."

Jack of all Blades

Erik took in Archeville’s reply with a carefully neutral expression and remain silent for several beats after the other man had finished. Years ago they’d more than once locked eyes like this over a card table, searching for any tell betraying a bluff with no stakes higher than who was going to buy the next round. A lifetime ago, for both of them.

He let out the breath he’d been holding and uncrossed his arms to shrug. “Alright then.” Rising from his lean the masked man made a show of stretching out his back. “I’ll leave the paperwork side of things to the League; have fun with that.” He sauntered over to the door, giving Chris a reassuring clap on the back as he passed.

Stopping with a hand on the doorframe he looked over his shoulder to Archeville. “Can’t say about ‘amends’ but there’s a… personal thing we need to talk about later. Might be a start.” He left the conference room without waiting for a reply but those remaining could here his distant voice calling to someone in the hall, “This is an open bar situation, yeah?”

Rot

It had been a long time since there was a break in the dance music playlist, so who knows how long Consuelo’s phone had been ringing? She flies off to a quiet corner to check. Huh. Someone has been trying to get a hold of me for the last twenty minutes. She is just about to call back when the same number dials her again.

“Answer” she tells her phone as it sits on the table. Can’t hold phones for long if I want them to last . . . “This is Consuelo.”

A voice that almost sounds human responds. “Ah, Miss Nunez. Excellent. This is RoboLawyer3000. I’m afraid there is an issue with your enrollment. One that must be dealt with quite immediately, in fact. I have a car waiting for you right outside the main lobby. Can you come down?”

What the heck is this? Thought the dance-sweaty teen. This seems totally suspicious . . . but, on the other hand, everything this robot guy has done for me has turned out to be really good. . . “Yeah. Give me a minute. I’ll be right down. End call.”

“Text Bernadette. Don’t need a ride home anymore, period. Found another, period. End text.”

Consuelo flies out of the lobby and into the cold winter air. She recognizes RoboLawyer3000’s car from the time before. It’s a non-descript luxury sedan – she can’t quite place the make or model. The passenger door opens, and she’s surprised to see a lead apron already laid out on the seat. RoboLawyer3000 swivels its obviously mechanical head and regards her. “Excellent. Please get it. I’ll explain as we go.”

Hesitating just a moment, Consuelo makes a “here-we-go” face and sits down in the vehicle. “Alright, what’s this all about?”

• 2 weeks later...

Grimalkin 

Lynn stepped over to the doctor's side, looking back over her shoulder to give Ghost a reassuring smile before addressing the former supervillain in the room.

"Well Viktor, what do you say? There's a lovely bed over a very nice bookstore waiting for you if you want it. You'll have as much time alone as you'd like, although you'd be welcome to join me for dinner or breakfast any time you want."

She shrugged.

"Lunch I usually grab on the go when I'm working in the store."

Edited by Heritage