Holiday Cheer! [OPEN]

Thevshi

Predator

On 12/20/2023 at 10:05 PM, Fox said:

Gaian Knight / Tiamat

"The Knight and I are not joined at the hip, but someone should find him and ensure he isn't being too boring at a party."

"Give us warning if you loosen up too much. I'll need to decide if I'm to end the drunken brawl, or be part of it."

Jean chuckles.

“I meant no offense.”

She nods as Tiamat excuses herself, returning the wave.

“I have no intention of initiating combat.”

She chuckles again.

She was beginning to accept it was a good idea to attend the celebration tonight.

Turning towards the bar across the room the vixen slips past conversations between small groups. Her ear twitching with idle curiosity, but she restrains her instinct to ease drop. Knowledge was power in her mind, but this was not the time for gathering intel.

At the bar she recognized the synthetic behind the countertop from reports out of Emerald City, but it was the figure seated nearby that caught her attention.

“Well now, look what the cat dragged in.”

Jean teased, taking the seat next to Copycat.

“An Old Fashion of the alcoholic variety, if you please.”

She smiled at Protectron politely.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dead Head

A tall, thin figure in tattered jeans and a black hoodie with the hood up ran in, drawling, "I'm not too late, am I?  I had to walk all the way from Lantern Hill, an- oh!"  He skittered to a stop a few feet past the entrance, "I knew this'd be a party, but I didn't expect one this big!  Well, why not," he pulled back the hood, revealing a desiccated face with skin the color of a three day old bruise, a rictus grin, and long, unkempt white hair, "the more, the merrier!"

The strange figure began circulating around the crowd, offering smiles and hearty handshakes to all.  Newer heroes were likely perplexed by this, but more experienced ones welcomed the remarkable revenant, asking how he'd been since he'd moved out to Bedlam four years ago.  "Oh, it's a fine place to visit, but I wouldn't wanna live there -- and I don't!"

He slowly made his way over to the other unbothered undead in the room, waving, "Hey, Kimber!  Long time, no see!"

Timeout

On 12/19/2023 at 12:03 PM, Supercape said:

Gamma Buzz

"So what do we do now?" he asked Lawrence. "I mean, what would make us look really cool? Not that we aren't cool. I mean obviously we are cool. PhD in Cool studies. But what would make us look cool?"

5 hours ago, RocketLord said:

Spaceman

"Do you guys see anyone we know yet?" 

Lawrence listened to his friends as he took a brief moment to taken in the scene inside the lobby of the Hall. As was often the case, it was something of a scene of controlled chaos. The blond teen spotted several of their classmates gathered around Geckoman and his family as well as a ghost. Seeing a familiar yellow blur move away from another group that included Mizuki, he decided where to start.

"We mingle of course." Lawrence responded to Baz's question with a grin. "We should probably start with greeting one of the hostesses." He added as he started off toward the group gathered around Fleur de Joie.

Coming over to the group, the blond teen started with his fellow classmate. "Evening Mizuki, glad to see you here." He said with a warm smile.

Lawrence then turned to the two veteran heroes present, first giving Lynn a hug. "Happy holidays Aunt Grim, looking splendid, as always, I see."

He then turned to Fleur and her family. "Ms. Stesha, always a pleasure to see you, you are particularly radiant tonight. I see Basil is growing as fast as ever." He added, giving the toddler a grin. The blond teen then looked to the figure standing off to the side, offering the younger girl a warm smile. "Good to see you as well Ammy, you are looking very lovely."

Lawrence then turned slightly to include Baz and Parker. "These are two of my friends at Claremont, Parker and Baz, aka Gamma Buzz. Guys, I am pleased to introduce Fleur de Joie and Grimalkin, along with Basil and Amaryllis."

With those introductions made the blond teen turned to the two present he did not know. "My apologizes, Lawrence Harrow, though I also go by Timeout at Claremont." Lawrence said to Muirne and Luke as he extended his hand. The teen spoke with an accent that Muirne had come to associate with the British upper class, reminding her of Dee.

Ghost Girl

The floating industrialist’s attention snapped over to Geckoman, face red as he shouted, “You! I’ll pay you whatever you want, just get me—“

”Hey!” Kimber interrupted, tossing Parfum into the air like a rag doll. She sped after him, face and exposed sternum turning dedicated and skeletal, jaw stretching into a howling maw and wickedly curved scythe appearing in her hand. She caught back up to the tumbling man as his astral form hung in the air near the ceiling and bellowed directly into his face with the force of a blizzard. “Cut that out!”

Grabbing him by the collar again she zipped back down to a more convenient height for conversation, appearance restored to joviality. Parfum on the other hand was now encrusted with a layer of frost and icicles. “Ugh, sorry,” the poltergeist apologized to the party-goers, giving Cassie a guilty look and hoping she hadn’t startled the child. “You know this guy laid off more than a thousand people a week before Christmas? Feel bad about your choices, Zeke!”

With a huff she turned to Michael, giving him a broad and cheerful grin. “Oh, you’re like a puppy, I love it!” She twisted in the air so that she was reclining horizontally, ethereal physics preventing any unwanted wardrobe malfunctions in her loose robe. “Not only am I a real ghost, I’m a bisexual Canadian so that’s like three things people don’t think exist! Now, the most important thing if you’re making a Young Freedom team is you need someone with a big ‘G’ on their costume.” She stretched out a hand toward Chris for a high five.

Eira’s arrival garnered the whole

of her attention, leaving her frozen passenger slowly rotating overhead. “Ah, sweetie, I didn’t know you’d be here! The girls and I have a couple little things for you back at the castle so you have to come by to open presents, okay?” she insisted. “Look at you two, so cute. It’s very nice to meet you, Percy and I will absolutely Nightmare Before Christmas your butt if you don’t show my niece a good time, clear?” The cheerful teasing probably would have sounded less threatening without her earlier display.

Kimber looked up from their chat when she heard her name. “Buuuud, ohmigod!” she greeted Dead Head, returning his wave energetically. “Have you been working out? You’re looking less decomposed, seriously!”

Michael took the card from Mali with a grin, showing it to Carmen and Vicki like a trophy of victory. See, the schmoozing was working! He was building important connections for all of them, all the enjoyment he was getting out of this was definitely just a side effect. But he was slowly working his way towards the warm fire and the pleasingly soft chair that was there.

He just kept getting distracted by more and more interesting things. Like the ghost talking to him. Though admittedly the first thing she did was turn really spooky, so that kind of shocked him, but he tried to not let that bother him when she talked to him.

"A...a big letter G. Got it. I will keep it in mind." he nodded seriously. If he was really going to take it to heart or not was a bit unclear, but he was at least acknowledging it and it made his brain spin a little bit as he thought about it; maybe not specifically the letter G, but more the idea that something like 'get someone with a big G on their chest' meant in the greater context.

His reaction to Dead Head was significantly different. Once the hood got removed and he looked at the revenant closely, his eyes went wide; again. This was happening a lot, but this time his reasoning was pretty different; the difference between an admirer from afar and someone who'd seen a hero in close, personal action.

"You! You're Dead Head!" he actually pointed. "You saved me once! You probably don't remember it. It was 9 years ago. This ghost was going around and trapping kids in the basement of an abandoned house to use as fodder for a ritual to resurrect his body; he was some mage or something. He took me and my older brother until you broke in! You ate up his magic spell and then hit him super hard with your shovel! I didn't know where you went when you suddenly disappeared 4 years ago, it was like our own personal Superhero disappeared. It's so cool to meet you!"

Neko

This was - well, this was a challenge. Neko's childhood had been among people for whom single births were an ill omen indeed, twins were common, and triplets enough that she could remember far more than three. (Their magic, inside and out, certainly helped with this.) The Espadas household, a prosperous house where two women had had multiple children together with their husband, had been rather underpopulated by her standards. But this crowded room was full of children, all of whom had some sort of strange power. Even with the two men to help her, it was difficult. But not unpleasant. 

Sniffing the air, she directed Leon to a little girl who was proudly trotting around despite a filled nappy, got Horrorshow busy with the snack tray for the kids who couldn't or mustn't eat bread for whatever reasons, and never quite stopped moving. Things were going well so far; and a quick check of her phone's money app told her that she was making money! Well. They all were making money. 

Rot

Consuelo withdraws from the semi-dhampir after learning her immunities are just to the supernatural. "Oh, sorry, it's not magical. They say I'm a mutant. But real close, though . . . Maybe you'll be immune to the effects of the next mopey teen you'll meet? My tastes are a little more wholesome, I guess. Time to go, like, drown my sorrows in eggnog and gingerbread men. . . "

"Hey Jean," said Copycat, an air of cheerfulness surrounding what sounded like fatigue. She'd shot a look over at Carmen as they talked, but her erstwhile protege seemed to be handling things about as well as a teenager could. Can't fight all her battles for her. She fiddled with her left ring finger for a moment, missing the bands that of course she'd taken off to protect her identity in case the worst happened. "Told you that was the right color." 

"Yes ma'am!" said Percy with immediate respect, sounding a trifle younger than his years - but of course who could tell that with an elf. He didn't sound intimidated necessarily; just understanding in a way beings from Earth-Prime often weren't. "Angelic has been working closely with me for some time on importing new technologies for-." He looked at the Senator's spectral plight for a moment, hand on his chin, and said "Oh-hoh! I remember this one!" 

"Sweetling we said no business talk tonight," said Eira, taking Percy's arm. "Why don't you go get me a drink, yes?" She steered him off towards the bar, and an order of peppermint vodka. 

With Percy off for the moment, Eira went about networking, first with the current generation of Claremont students. Everyone got a smile and a handshake, and a business card pressed into their hand for KATASTROFF CONSULTING. "I'm looking to hire short and long-term interns to be the face of the next generation of technology experts," she said cheerfully, "if you're interested, come see me in the new year, yes?" Consuelo, who she'd met before, got a particular smile. "Interested?" 

Rot

It's funny, just moments before, Consuelo had been trying to get other Claremont teens to go schmooze with Eira to see if they could get work, and now the android came right up to her for that very purpose. The thing was though, she suddenly got this strange bad feeling about the whole deal that she couldn't quite put her finger on.

"Nah. I don't think that's the job for me. Thanks anyway, though."

And she throws back her holiday nog.

Artificer

A tall figure in blue breeches, a green tunic, and a wide red leather belt & bandolier had been at the open-air ice skating rink, gliding about -- with a fair deal of difficulty -- on golden-coppery skates.  I can see the advantages this mode of movement might provide, he thought while struggling to make it to the edge of the rink, but mastering it's proving more difficult than I had anticipated!

Catching a glimpse of one of the party's recent arrivals, he resigned himself to the main task of the evening.  He'd never been fond of big social functions -- he'd much rather be in his workshop! -- but he did recognize their importance, and knew that some of his Claremont colleagues would be upset if he did not show and 'mingle' with them.  And if Princess Thaelia was there, well, then he definitely had to make an appearance.  He withdrew some crystalline rods and metal rings from his bandolier and assembled them into something like a tuning fork, channeled a bit of his own personal arcane energies into it, and used the energy field it now emitted to reshape his "false orichalcum" skates into the winged gladiator sandals he typically wore while on the Surface.  After replacing his components and smoothing out his clothes, the winged sandals bore him aloft towards the party.

Making his way to Glamazon was about as tricky as he'd expected, but he reach her only a few moments later than he'd anticipated.  "<Hail, Princess Thalassa,>" he greeted her in Atlantean, saluting her as he did.  He then stood silently at attention, waiting for his social superior to acknowledge him.

His time on the Surface had loosened him up some, but seeing some people brings out all the old habits.

Shadowborne

Muirne smiled watching Luke interact with Fleur's toddler, always enjoying seing his softer side come to the fore, and snorted quietly at his comment about safety.

On 12/23/2023 at 1:18 AM, The Sailor said:

Then it dawned on her. "Wait... Claremont used to actually BE more dangerous?"

Unable to help herself she leaned over to faux whisper in Mizuki's ear, "It really was, there was a dragon, and a shadow monster! Some of the students weren't much better either, we had one guy who would steal everyone's secrets, and another who kept destroying the textbooks." She winked at Luke, before speaking more normally, "I'm Muirne by the way, Shadowborne in costume."

On 12/23/2023 at 4:43 AM, Thevshi said:

With those introductions made the blond teen turned to the two present he did not know. "My apologizes, Lawrence Harrow, though I also go by Timeout at Claremont." Lawrence said to Muirne and Luke as he extended his hand. The teen spoke with an accent that Muirne had come to associate with the British upper class, reminding her of Dee.

Muirne shook his hand, noting the accent with interest. "Muirne Sceadusangere, I go by Shadowborne. It's nice to meet you, Lawrence."

Arcana

Abigail Storm, who had spent the last several years avoiding the general hero community, strode into the lobby of Freedom Hall dressed as herself.  She wore a long grey wool pea coat, black dress pants and turtleneck sweater, modest heels and her ever present silver pendant depicting a circle inside of a triangle.  She still felt a little strange being here but her mentor made a gentle suggestion that she turn her attention back to the mundane world, and even a gentle suggestion from the current Master Mage carries significant weight.

Despite being disconnected from the general community of heroes she was still generally active in the magical and supernatural circles where she was known as Arcana.  Several which appear to be in attendance, she thought to herself as she took note of various personalities making a mental note to discretely approach them later.

Such plans had to wait though, she thought again as a faint smile crossed her normally stoic expression when she spotted Kimber.  "No rest for the wicked, eh big sister?" she said calling out to the ghost.

Crystal-Gazer

There was a soft knock on the door of the second floor crèche, and then a red-headed elf with a purse over one shoulder entered the room. She waved a hand and looked somewhat embarrassed.

"Hey, sorry ah'm late! Davyd said you might need a lil' help with some of the kids?"

As Lulu stepped further into the room, a miniature alpine scene appeared to form around her, complete with snow, pine trees and tiny skiers. As the telepath sat cross-legged on the floor in one corner, a few of the minitaure figures struggled to ski around her.

"So what are y'all up to? Oh, that has got to be Davyd right there, don' it," she asked as she indicated the tub full of swans and Jell-O.

Edited by Heritage
On 12/22/2023 at 6:32 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

With Percy off for the moment, Eira went about networking, first with the current generation of Claremont students. Everyone got a smile and a handshake, and a business card pressed into their hand for KATASTROFF CONSULTING. "I'm looking to hire short and long-term interns to be the face of the next generation of technology experts," she said cheerfully, "if you're interested, come see me in the new year, yes?"

With the same easy smile he showed everyone else, Michael shook Eira's hand with confidence, taking the card and examining it.

"I'm more than interested in adding more things to my resume and college applications. I'm not exactly much of a technology expert myself though, but if you think there's a place for me, I'm certainly willing to sign up and see what I can do; maybe I can make up for any deficiencies with a can-do attitude! I'm also pretty good at speaking engagements, so presentations and the like come pretty easy to me, but I'm sure all of this can be saved until the actual interview." With a pause, he slipped the card into his breast pocket. "Sorry, I don't have a card of my own, only discount cards for my part time job, so unless you're really interested in boutique micro-brewed sodas that are popular with high school kids, I don't have anything to give you in return."

Carmen looked towards him holding out the contact information like it was a trophy to be had, or what she really felt like it was, a child showing off to the rest of his class his show and tell item rather proudly. She'd furrow a brow at him and then towards the piece of paper. It would not be the only quasi-business card he would get either, following him around to in what felt more like an exotic hangar on. Carmen had never thought of resumes, or college even as a Junior, but following Michael made her feel like maybe she should start at the least but not now.

Puma and Carmen, of whom she treated one in the same with herself, thought of the job she had with Patriot, thinking it her only potential future until this point.

Grimalkin 

"Good lord, you've gotten tall since I saw you last," Grim blurted out like the old Jewish grandmother she secretly was. "He was like one of those spooky kids from Village of the Damned, but now he's all tall and grown up! You look amazing, Lawrence."

She gave him a very firm hug before turning her attention towards another of the arrivals

"And Stesha! Give me hugs, you crazy plant lady..."

Edited by Heritage

Torpedo Lass II

Mizuki just awkwardly stood there, the flurry of new faces started to get a bit overwhelming. But it was Muirne's comment that managed to strike a chord in Mizuki's overwhelmed brain.

On 12/23/2023 at 1:41 PM, Kaede Kimura said:

"I'm Muirne by the way, Shadowborne in costume."

"Ah... um... Hi." She said with a blush. "I've been going by Torpedo Lass for now... but not quite sure that's where I'm stayin'."

Dead Head

"Aw, pshaw," he replied to Kimber's praise, opening wide his arms that were just as effective at hugging ghosts as they were at punching them.  "Might be somethin' in th' Bedlam air that's preservin' me -- an' doin' a number on th' residents -- but I'm the same ol' Burt as ever!"  He glanced over at her phantasmal charge, "ah, you must be Zeke.  I've heard a lot about you," he waggled a finger, then turned back to Kimber, "a certain, ah, mutual acquaintance said you was helpin' one of their kin, and asked me to help out, an' how could I say no?  So, here I am.  You almost done with- eh?"

Michael's words caught him by surprise, and he studied the teen hero a moment.  "Hrm?  Oh!," he snapped his fingers, "Lil' Mi-," he caught himself, "oops!  Sorry, don't wanna be givin' nothin' away!  Oh, but you have grown, son!"  They were of an equal height now, but when Michael was eight (and held hostage by a malevolent spirit), the older hero would've appeared to tower over him.  "An' you're here with a bunch of these fine folks, so you must be doin' good for yourself, an' for others!  Good job!"  His rictus grin widened a bit, and he offered the younger hero his hand.

Paper

Leon gave Neko a playful salute as she directed him to the offending diaper. Henrico caught up with the little one and a popes them up, making a funny face as he carried them off to the changing station they had arranged when they got here, well that Neko had arranged.

She had pulled this together better than he could have. The money was nice, but he actually was happy spending time with her. And let’s be honest, he was gonna spend anything he made from this on her anyways.

He changed the child’s diaper and sent them off to play again while he cleaned up and disposed of the trash.

Predator

On 12/22/2023 at 7:13 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

"Told you that was the right color." 

Jean smiled.

“Yes, you did. And thank you, again.”

She accepted her drink with a grateful smile and took a sip.

“Here alone?”

She asked with curious glance, noting she was fiddling with her empty finger, then looked out around the room.

“I thought I might see Patriot and hers tonight, but I suppose she couldn’t make it. I do hope it wasn’t anything serious.”

She said in an off handed manner before smiling back at Copycat.

Jean tried not to pry into personal lives, but she did consider the woman to be a friend and was willing to listen if needed. She would let Copycat steer the conversation for this.

Spaceman

Lawrence seems so much more at home in this entire situation than Parker, but he seems to know everyone too, not just the students from Claremont, and... then he brings them over to actual Freedom League members and a couple of graduates. Go big or go home, right?

Fleur de Joie and Grimalkin. Parker just stares for a moment, before catching himself. He should be better at things like this. He had been at plenty of social events like these with his parents, but not... not with super heroes. 

Finally catching himself, he starts offering his hand to any of the people around them.

"Hello, I'm Parker. I'm... I call myself Spaceman." For some reason, the word play in his heroic identity sounded really silly right now.

"Wouldn't know her," said Copycat tiredly. "Big-time hero like that is probably home with her wife and son for Christmas." She looked over at the other Freedom League members, who didn't seem to mind being here with just their work friends and family. "I'm just a pussycat who works for Uncle Sam." She hmmed, looking Jean up and down. "Hey, speaking of, I do have those pictures," she said, "if you want to see."

She pulled a generic phone with a cat sticker from her purse and showed Jean a collection of pictures of herself, wearing her mask and jeans and sweats, a tiny human infant on her lap. Well, not fully human - maybe Jean wasn't fully versed on the anatomy of the dominant species of from this dimension, but the babies usually didn't have pointed ears. 

"That's fine," Eira told Michael with a smile. "Not everyone who works with scientists has to be a scientist. Sometimes it can be - helpful to have an outsider present for the really important operations." She took Michael's soda jerk card, then added, "I've worked with a wide variety of Earth's leading science heroes, from Miss Americana to Dragonfly." Catching Carmen in her line of sight, she added, "Whether you plan to work as an independent hero, a government metahuman, or simply conduct civilian business, a super-adjacent job in high school can help you write your own ticket when you have graduated, yes?" She made sure everyone got her card, then went on more seriously, "If you never learn to do anything but be a superhero, you'll never be anything but one - and that is not enough." 

"Thank you for the offer, M'am. You're absolutely right obviously. I appreciate your efforts for us." he nodded. He could have gone on more of a speech about how being a better human helped being a better Superhero, but he didn't feel like he needed to support an actual no joke superhero in her explanation; she was right, he agreed, and he helped show that- he hoped- just by being himself, so he didn't say anything. He thought about it though.

On 12/25/2023 at 9:47 PM, Dr Archeville said:

Dead Head

"An' you're here with a bunch of these fine folks, so you must be doin' good for yourself, an' for others!  Good job!"  His rictus grin widened a bit, and he offered the younger hero his hand.

He gripped Dead Head's hand with both of his and squeezed it with the force of an over-excited child.

"You were so much bigger when I was a kid! But you're still the same! And yeah, you were a huge influence! You and every other superhero here I've seen on the news or giving a press conference or any number of things. But you're one of the few that straight up saved my life!" he grinned.

"I haven't had my powers long, only a couple of months. But I'm gonna do right by you, Sir, and everyone else that ever helped me or anyone else. That's what they're for. So...yeah. If I get famous, everything I do. You can take credit for it too. Because I wouldn't be here without you. Or with the others here. But sir, If you ever need me to do anything, any help, any aid I can offer. You find me right away. You know where my house is, so you go right there and my parents'll get me straight home. If there's even anything I could ever do, you're a lot more magical than I am. I'm more of the flying and punching kind of hero." he smiled.

"And yeah, let's keep that 'little' secret between the two of us, alright? At least for a few more years."