GM

"Well in that case, onward we go! Crew, to your stations. Students, I will be happy to speak with you later. Rakesh, if you would?" Folding his wings behind him, Ortilac stepped off his seat's dais and left the room with the Claremont chaperone. The other ship's officers left by twos or singly, vanishing in light like their captain.

The Grace tilted, began to move, and the universe stood still.

Later 

A giant bear smiled at the party, small ears twitching back and forth. "What's good, new buddies? I'm Leng! Head rep of the Li for this case. Welcome to Xix Yr!"

The warm welcome was a stark contrast to how the planet and its structures looked. All around loomed black utilitarian blocks radiating with geometric precision from power generation, waste recycling and water-purification centers. The sky crackled with violet lightning through muddy grey clouds. Overhead spanned waves of igneous rock closing in the narrow valley. 

The structure their ship's shuttle had landed in was different, silver-gray and shaped like a giant bird about to take flight. The walls dazzled with colorful murals, informative screens and tanks of sealife ribboning from floor to ceiling and back again. 

The pack of well-dressed bears that had met the Coalition envoy and the Claremont class all joined in, politely refraining from trying to hug or shake dextrous paws with their comparatively tiny selves. One, wearing what could be described as a tank on their back, couldn't resist darting forward to give Davyd a friendly, massive lick with a startlingly long, warm and ticklish tongue. They smelled earthy, with a tang like rusty copper. They lumbered back at once, blushing as well as a bear could blush and trying to hide behind the rest of the pack.

Leng chuckled along with the rest. "Aw, Lu Chu, save it for the goodbyes, huh? Sorry, Envoy Ortilac, he's just so excitable around new people." 

The wingéd dignitary bowed, fluttering his wings, "No harm done, Envoy Leng, it is good to stand among you once more. These are the additional visitors I mentioned, they are from 'Earth', a developing world full of wonders!"

"And very different chemical makeup. Please don't touch them again." Rakesh had somehow come to Davyd's side and swept the Li's saliva from his skin with a rough blue cloth, which subsequently vanished into a container. The young man adjusted his glasses, glaring up at their startled hosts. "Would you show us to our quarters, please? You and and the Coalition have business to discuss, I'm sure. Don't let us take up all your time."

"Well..." Leng blinked, uncertain "if you'd not like to have us show you around a little, first. No problem, really!"

"We wouldn't, no."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As amazing as everything about the tour had been so far, nothing could keep the look of pure joy off of Lulu's face when she spotted her first Li.

They're teddy bears? Must...not...hug...

On 7/13/2019 at 7:03 PM, Ari said:

GM

"We wouldn't, no."

This was too much for Lulu; the students had come how many lightyears from Earth, to be part of this historic event, and now their killjoy chaperone was trying to shut them out? This was bull####! Full of righteous indignation, she addressed Rahkesh directly, hands on her hips and her gaze locked in.

"Ah'm sorry, but ah thought the whole point of bringin' students from Earth into space was for an educational experience, Dr. Chawla. And now, when our gracious hosts are offerin' Claremont students a literal chance-of-a-lifetime tour durin' a first contact situation, you're sayin' 'no'? This is...a unique opportunity, and you want us to stay in our rooms? How are we supposed to learn about other species, and represent our planet as heroes, if we don't have direct experience?"

Then she sighed dramatically aand shook her head.

"Ah mean, Lord and Lady Harrow are goin' to be so sad ah wasn't able to fully benefit from this trip..."

Edited by Heritage

Nicole

Nicole nodded her head vigorously at what Lulu had just said. Hell no to staying indoors. Hell no to not seeing the diplomatic integration firsthand. Hell no to not bar-hopping and looking for zero-g rocks. This was her last field trip with Claremont and she wasn't spending it like how Chawla wanted them to spend it. Doing nothing. Lulu had did the smart thing and spoken up first, but the upcoming Junior still needed support.

"Yeah, what's your problem, Chawla?" Nicole spoke up. She couldn't place her hands on her hips like Lulu did so she did the next best thing and gripped the arms of her wheelchair. "Why don't you give us a break?"

She waved her hand at the Li representatives. "I want to get to know Leng and Lu Chu." Then she moved it towards the structures around them. "Take a look at their energy recycling methods and their stealth tech that had even the Coalition impressed. I want to do so many things." Her hands balled up to fists dramatically. "And I'm not going to be able to do all of them if I'm just watching Netflix in the hotel."

"Besides," and she moved her wheelchair beside UFO, who was just as adorable as the Li. "Seven will keep us safe. They know where to go."

At this point Nicole wasn't indignant. In fact, her face was screwed up in joy at the prospect of everything she just said. Doing all that among teddy bears just made her doubly excited. And if Chawla said otherwise then forget him, she'll do what she wants to.

Edited by Zeitgeist Blue

Davyd was utterly delighted to meet an alien (that wasn't trying to kill him, or mentor him), and was completely stunned when one of them licked him.  He stood, stunned, only marginally aware of Rakesh wiping him down.

What... what just happened?

The brief riot that was threatening to break out quickly snapped him to attention.  "Y-yeah, Dr. Chawla, sir," he piped in.  "If you're worried about us interfering with the procedures, we won't, we'll all be on our best behavior," he nodded, glancing over at Nicole, looking a bit longer at Lulu, and glaring at Dio.  "We know how important this is, what an opportunity this is for us.  I'm sure we can be quiet as church mice," he squeaked as he shrank to about half his normal height and took on some decidedly  rodent-like features, "they'll barely know we're there."

Edited by Dr Archeville

GM

For a second the young man looked between Louise and Nicole in frustration, at last snapping "Fine. Go ahead. But stay together. All of you. Give me regular updates on your location and current state. I won't have anyone disappearing or getting hurt. The Harrows aren't the only ones I'd have to explain myself to, Summers would...wait." He suddenly took stock of the people gathered on the platform, eyes skipping rapidly over the assembly as he counted, coming up one short.

With a deep, slow sigh, Rakesh turned to Ortilac and Leng, who'd politely been ignoring the confrontation and chatting together. He soon had Ortilac's permission to search the Grace for the missing Leroy. "I'll be back soon," he told the students, "stay out of trouble."

As Dr. Chawla vanished in a lance of light, the Li blinked at the remaining people. "What would you like to see?" Lu Chu ventured, stubby tail wagging "Everything?"

Selena looked at her fellow students, quietly impressed by Lulu and Davyd standing up to their chaperone.  "Personally, I was expecting to have to 'jiggle' some locks if we were going to go screw around with booze and zero-g rock flinging.  Nicely done," she said quietly.

Turning to the Li and Seven she nodded, "Everything sounds good.  I still remain interested in seeing what kind of metals can be found out here not available on Earth.  If there's nothing too unstable, maybe I can make really unique class rings for my friends."

Nicole

As Rakesh retreated Nicole's grin grew wider and she turned to her fellow Claremont students then Sitara and Seven. Whatever Leroy was doing was his own problem and she quickly pushed him oit of her mind. "That was way easier than expected. Now we really have the run of the place. Nice work, Lulu."

"And," she said in response to the Li. One hand gestured to Sitara the Traveller and the other reached out to ruffle Li's fur.  "We go to a bar. Sitara here says you don't have one worth a damn but I'd still like to see what giant teddy bears drink. It's got to be something, right?"

Edited by Zeitgeist Blue

The Traveller

Sitara had been around the Universe for quite a few years and had dealt with many Lor of various ages, and Lor were so much similar to Terrans than they liked to admit.

“Oh they have alcohol, it’s this amazing honey flavored drink  that they serve in little bowls at gatherings. We used to have something similar in my home village back in what I believe you call the Indus Valley.” she let it sink in before adding with a smirk

“It’s also highly toxic to Terran biology, it’s only because of my altered biochemistry that I can safely drink what they call a small bowl. And I can handle a few drinks but a large bowl would knock me out for a while. It was one hell of a party though!”

"Honey?  Oh, like my Uncle Sasha's horilka!" he cheerfully replied.  "I would very much like to try some; I should be able to adapt to whatever's in it." 

And it's not like I'm completely human anymore, he thought, remembering his recent revelation.

He timidly approached the one who had licked him, "um, h-hello.  I think I heard your name is Lu Chu?  My name is Davyd," he extended his hand, realized he was still in humanoid mouse form, and shifted back to human.  "C-could I... that is, would you mind if I... um," he scratched the back of his head, "if I could get a good look at you, and, um, try to mi-mimic you?"  He swallowed hard, "it, uh, it might h-help us to see things from you point of view."

Edited by Dr Archeville

777 was quite sure if it should speak up or not when the Terran students started discussing other actions than the one determined by the teacher. Such a novel thing to do, take actions on your own, despite what your leader was telling you. Maybe it was something 777 should try to do in the future? Still, when it was mentioned, it could not stay silent. "Affirmative. This unit has a full weapon package ready to protect the students, if need be." 

At least everything turned out in the students' favor, and Sitara seemed to approve. Once the students were left alone, 777's display changed to show a smiling green mouth and closed eyes, before approaching Nicole. "How did you know that this unit possessed weaponry capable of protecting you?" It was, of course, genuinely curious.

Nicole

"You have a weapons package?" If Nicole was enamoured to Seven like a teenage girl was to a puppy then seeing her now it was as if Seven had transformed into a puppy-baby panda hybrid in front of her eyes. "You'll have to show me them before we leave. I'd love to see how Lor armaments differ from Terran equivalents."

She was so enraptured by Seven that she didn't hear Sitara the first time. Then after a few seconds Nicole did a double-take, asking Seven while the other Claremont students did their own thing.

"Wait, does she mean Earth, uh, ancient Earth Seven?"

Yeah, she had met a Neanderthal before. A magical one at that, but how did someone with from the Indus Valley find herself in space?

Edited by Zeitgeist Blue

The Traveller

Sitara gave a little smile, she always enjoyed this bit when she got a chance to tell others.

“I was born on Earth about five thousand years ago, I’m sure I could work it out exactly if needed. Though I slept through a couple of thousand years for various reasons.”

She looked around the teens giving them a chance to realize what she’d just said, it was often something people struggled to get their heads around.

“As for why that's a story for another time, let's get down to the tour!”

GM

Smiling down at Horrorshow, the Li raised a hulking, steel-muscled arm tipped with a paw bristling with savage claws and rested it gently as a feather on the shapeshifter's shoulder.

"It would be an honor, little friend. You did say they were lovely, Ortilac," the ursine alien added to the beaming (and only lightly preening)Ambassador, "but this is totally unexpected! Willing to take our shape as their own, just to wear it. Davyd, I sincerely hope we Li and you Terresi get to be good friends. Leaving you to languish when you're so close by..." Chu shook his head furry head "...that sucks! We'll see if we can't help you get into the Coalition, too. Then we could help get rid of that trash, get you set up with better food-production, maybe a 'sphere-scrubber network-"

Abruptly shaking his head again, Chu laughed ruefully "Lookit me, babbling like this. Go ahead, Davyd, mimic me." 

With a grace that belied his towering bulk, the furry alien flopped onto his belly. Waggling his four splayed limbs, he looked up at Horrorshow expectantly.

"Well, while you two get to that, let's show you kids around!" One of the other Li, a heftier one with a red shroud across her back whose helpful multilingual nametag identified them as "Tö", beckoned to the party and set off at a brisk lumber. 

The first floor alone was massive, and crammed with unearthly sights and sounds. Other aliens were much in evidence, mostly dignitaries from other members of the Coalition. A party of the elegant, austere, alligator-esque Jerreid was unique in the milling press of life-forms by keeping very much to themselves. 

There weren't so much distinct rooms as shifting moods to gatherings across a common space, with floating wall sections hovering across the floor with a cheery hum, pausing occasionally to dispense drinks and food from its eerie white surface, transforming into picnic-like tables and benches, more intimate single chairs, or even partially enclosing spaces on request. 

One wall slid gently up beside the party. "hello! i detect some of you are desiring a little smack of a snack or lick of a drink! what would you like?"

"Ask away!" Tö looked pardonably proud "We just got in some Earth and new Lor programs. Just like back home, I promise! Getting their food right was how we got those scaly little grumps to the table." She waved at the cluster of murmuring, cold-eyed Jerreid. The reptiles stared blankly, one of them hesitantly returning the wave to uproarious delight among the booming, bassy-voiced space bears littering the room.   

"service is the highest duty"

Davyd's smile was bright enough to light up the chamber (though not literally -- no bioluminescence this time), and he bounced and clapped for a few seconds.  By the time the others had left, he'd caught himself, and slowly began circling around the sploot'd Li, carefully examining his form.

This is gonna be so cool!  I- oh... OH!  I can ask about... and Rakesh isn't around to... yes!

"Uh, so, full disclosure, it may take me a few tries to get this right.  I haven't had these abilities for long, and am still learning to use them."  He carefully lifted Lu's left hind paw, "I've had some great teachers, though, very skilled, and patient.  Are Li with, um, nonstandard abilities common on Xix Yr?"  He set Lu's paw down, continued circling, "most planets I've head of don't seem to have many -- I guess Earth is an anomaly in that regard.  Oh, have you encountered many shapeshifters?  Earth's had some run-ins with Grue," he was at Lu's head now, peering into his ears, "and that was scary, but I'd like to think that not all shapeshifters are like that."

Edited by Dr Archeville

With their teacher not around and the wall appearing from practically nowhere offering food and drink, Selena considered ordering a soju and coke but held back.  This was not the time nor place to indulge.  "I could go for some beef empenadas and a coke if those were included in the new 'Earth Snacks patch'," she said, before quickly checking the room to make sure there were not any representatives who happened to look like humanoid cows.

'Note to self, do not mention the time Christian took you to Blue Eagle for iguana tapas anywhere near the Jerreid delegation,' she thought to herself.

"Affirmative. Designer Sitara's planet of origin is the Earth, in what one could consider ancient times." It was a strange feeling to have someone this excited about it. 777 was not quite sure how it made it feel. Was it pride? It always had trouble with pride. "This unit would be happy to demonstrate the usage of any onboard systems." Still, the Terran had named its weapons as Lor technology. Not quite right, and it felt a tinge of annoyance, even if the Terran had no way of knowing the difference. Alternatively, the Terran might be disappointed to learn that 777 did not originate among the Lor. Curious.

"This unit hopes that it will not disappoint, however, it must note that it is not a Lor creation. This unit was designed and created in the Delaztri Empire."

GM

"i hear and understand. please enjoy!" With a soft thrumm and a hiss of escaping gas, a panel swiveled to Selena's elbow height. On it steamed and fizzled the food and drink she'd asked for, a small bowl of dipping sauce sharing the plate.

"let us know at once if this tastes, feels or digests incorrectly."

"Nonstandard abilities? Nobody I know of, Davyd, sorry," Chu wriggled into a more confortable position on the floor, "we do have cybernetic enhancements, physiochemical ones too, but nothing like your mimicry." His round ears drooped "The Grue, welllll, we don't meet many people who just don't care about other people to that degree. Even the Khanate people, under all the scheming and anger and fear, they care, just about a smaller group. We can work with that. Until the Grue Individuality, watching those people was like watching a virus at work."

The ears perked up, waggling furiously, as Chu looked up at Horrorshow with a smile "But now we know that's not their true self! If you can get them out from under the Meta-Mind, sure some might not choose to care about other people, but others will, and that's wonderful!"

Meanwhile, over at the other party, Tö had done her best to sidle casually up beside the Earth teens. "So, I heard one of you is missing, you want us to look for him too, quiet-like? Kind of be real bad if we lose someone right in the heart of our system." 

"Ooh, cybernetics!"  He then realized he'd squealed right into Chu's ear, and cringed, "ah, sorry, sorry.  So, are they widespread?  Or, like, still experimental, and rare?  There are some cybernetics on Earth, but not many, and they tend to be expensive."  Now he was looking into Chu's eyes, and his snout.  "Though I think they're becoming cheaper and more widespread, with some developments in 3-D printing.  I, uh, I don't know a whole lot about all that, though."

"Oh, yeah, yeah, I've been reading up on the Grue," now he was peering in Chu's mouth, marveling at the large fangs, "trying to learn about their culture, their values.  It's difficult, since so much is just what the Meta-Mind wants, so it's hard to work out what's been imposed and what's, well, natural."

"Alright," he took a few steps back, "I think I'm ready for my first try."  I can do this I can do this I can do this.  Just focus on a few things at a time.  With a thought, his body began to shift, bones extended or contracted, skin thickened and sprouted a thick fur, nails thickened into claws.  In moments, he was a perfect duplicate of Lu Chu... but he was still the size of a teenage Earther.

"Weeellllll," he examined himself, pleased with the job he'd done, "I think that turned out pretty- oh.  Oh, right, the size difference.  Still working on that bit."  He looked up to Chu, hoping his smaller form wasn't perceived as an insult.

Edited by Dr Archeville

Nicole

"So many ancient people and old things," Nicole said, shaking her head in response to Sitara and Seven. She moved in closer, clearly listening intently. "I once met a Neanderthal and that's thirty-five thousand years minimum. So that's what, you're immortal? Any idea why that is?"

She cupped her chin with her hands. "Because you really need to share once you baited me with that."

Then they were in a bar and Selena was actually having Earth food. When To sidled up to them, Nicole turned the bear's way.

"All this for us?" She smirked. "Or are you expecting more Terrans to visit?"

Then To asked about Leroy and Nicole groaned in embarassment for all of them. "Ugh. Do what you feel like but I'm sure he's fine somewhere. Guy can take care of himself even if he doesn't sound like it."

Lulu decided that despite the ease with which she could get alcohol in this scenario (assuming it didn't kill her), that she'd be good and order something easy, like a cheeseburger, fries and a Coke.

Noting Davyd's transformation, she gave him the applause he deserved. "Nice work, Davyd! We just gotta help you crack that growin', shrinkin' trick! It'll be cool once you can make yourself into like a mouse or somethin'. Stealth ops!"

777 stood motionless by the bar, scanning the liquids and foodstuffs that were presented to the Terrans. It was interesting, cuisine seemed to differ greatly between different species across the universe, even those that seemed to share similar digestive systems and yet, their actual choice in foodstuffs were very different. Still, the last Terran disappearing was beginning to bug it. How could these Terran students be so uncaring about what had happened to their friend?

"Do you have a way of establishing communication with the missing student, to confirm his safety? You are no longer in Terran space, and he might have encountered something unexpected."

Salvo

Nicole looked up as 777 expressed its concern for Leroy.

"Like, I said, Seven. He can take care of himself just fine, but if you're really worried..."

She scratched the nape of her neck then tapped Lulu on the shoulder. "Lulu, can you try make a link with Leroy? He couldn't have gone far. Tell him we're at the Bo-Tsu bar near the landing site." She waved her hand at the massive first floor with all manner of lifeforms in it. "It's the big square with neon lights like a hard open on Friday night and all the aliens in it. He can't miss it."

Edited by Zeitgeist Blue

GM

Chu's eyes lit up at the tiny version of himself "OoooOOOOh! You're so small! That's so wonderful!" His beady eyes shut tight as the Li waggled his legs furiously while emitting high-pitched squeals of pure joy. Flopping forward, Chu lavished Davyd's shapeshifted snout with laps from his tongue before letting his head fall, and cradling Davyd against it with a heavy claw that rested as tenderly as a mulit-ton giant alien's could. 

"Take your time, little friend," Chu said once he'd regained most of his composure, "we made this place to learn about other people and ourselves. If you want to perfect your skills, we'll be glad to help."

Chu opened his eyes, looked at Davyd, and had to pause for a prolonged muffled squeak at the adorable sight. 

Meanwhile, the assurance seemed to have mollified Tö. "Well, if you're sure, I'll not fret over it. Don't worry about asking for something really complicated or obscure, by the way, that's the best way to make sure our food system keeps up with your tastes and needs. Wouldn't do to only serve the most common dishes or drinks!" She was doing better keeping it together at the sight of tiny baby Li Davyd, but the adoring looks made it clear it was a struggle. 

"this is the summit of my existence, the pure joy that is properly meeting a request" The culinary wall had produced the asked-for items with uncannily perfect taste and consumption replication. Whatever it had been, it was undeniably meat, clearly potatoes and precisely-calibrated fizzy sugar drink. 

Meanwhile Ortliac, Squire Kath'Lana and the bulk of the Li delegation was headed down a broad ramp, letting an automated panel take them into the eagle's heart. The sunny attitude up above had very suddenly dropped as soon as they were out of sight of the party in the head. 

"Ambassador, when we asked for "experienced Terresi exceptionals to help with a major threat", I thought "no children" was too obvious to add. Was I wrong?" Leng was glowering down at Ortilac, who for his part looked thoroughly unruffled. 

"These are the prime of their new generation. Establishing themselves with capturing our mutual problem eclipses two stars at once. We know they will strike at the union ceremony, we know what they are, what they are capable of, there is no threat, I promise you."

Suddenly Ortilac turned to Kath'Lana, frowning slightly "Ah...this is a sensitive matter, good Star Squire. Suffice to say I was not entirely forthcoming about the presence of you and the Praetorians. You see, there is a group of dissidents against the Lia system joining the Coalition. They have mostly been apprehended and are learning the benefits of this move, but a cell is expected to strike soon. If you could just keep an eye out for anything suspicious, keep those young heroes out of trouble, you know? Just in case things fail to happen on schedule."

The Li around the pair growled at that, a surprisingly menacing sound when paired with their huge, unsmiling jaws and beady, angry eyes. Leng was positively bristling. 

"One of them's already gone, Lor. We heard that Rakesh guy. If he's been hurt all because of you, they're gonna need a new Ambassador." His claws scored the floating panel for emphasis, to rumbles of agreement. 

Ortilac swallowed nervously. 

"Oh, all right, ah'll have a look 'round for him," said Lulu as she popped a fry in her mouth. She took a deep breath, and then her eyes went out of focus and rolled partially back in her head as she sent her senses roaming about the station. Just to be on the safe side, she used her 'rapid scan' technique to take in the facility more quickly. But after a few seconds, she grunted in surprise.

"Huh. That's funny." Then she furrowed her brow and pushed, small beads of sweat popping out of her forehead. Suddenly her eyes went wide and she shot up out if her seat, knocking over her tray. "Holy f###ing s###! Something happened to Leroy, and Ramesh is up to somethin'!" She stood in a crouch, fingers curled and head cocked to one side, as she attempted to hear what Ramesh was saying.

Squire Kath'lana

The young squire had remained with Ambassador Ortilac and the other members of the Li delegation when the Terrans, the Praetorians and some of the Li had headed off to explore more of the Li homeworld. The F'terrix after all felt that as the representative for the Star Knight Order she needed to maintain a more formal demeanor. However, when delegate Leng began discussing the real reason for asking for a group of Terran exceptionals to be present at the ceremony she wished her helmet had been up, for she could not help but narrow her cat eyes slightly.

"You have put me in a difficult position Ambassador," she responded to Ortilac when he came clean with her about the reason for her presence and that of the Praetorians as well. "You well know that it is the policy of the Star Knights not to become involved in situations that are purely an internal matter of a world. I believe the Praetorians follow a similar practice."

The news that something had happened to one of the young Terrans was also disturbing to the squire, and she looked over to Leng as he made not so veiled threat to Ambassador Ortilac. "But I shall not sit back and allow the Terrans to potentially get themselves into any danger for which they are unaware."

Activating her helmet, the last bit of armor covered her feline face. "If you will excuse me." She stated, her voice now more metallic, before she lifted up into the air and started flying forward. As she went, she activated the special communication node all Star Knight armor had with Mentor.

"Mentor, this is Squire Kath'lana. Lor Ambassador Ortilac and the Li have not been honest with us in requesting a Star Knight at these proceedings. It appears there is a group of Li dissidents that are against the system joining the Coalition and the Li hope that the visiting Terrans, Praetorians and myself will be able to apprehend the remaining members when the attack the upcoming ceremony."