"Concert Auditions. Second Floor, 2B" (IC)

Heritage

"Will do man." Warren said. He knew this song very well. Time to show what you can do Warren. And with that, he played the opening of hanger 18. The teen quickly showed his skills, fingers dancing along the fretboard with the speed and precision of someone that has dedicated almost all their free time just practicing. Combined with Eddies own power augmented performance, they both quickly dominated the whole room once the solos section came up. Oh hell yeah!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freedom Angel hmmed a moment, watching the performance, then shook his head. Leaning close to his friends Ace and Talya, he said, too quietly for anyone but them to hear, "I think they have passed the need for us at this show," he suggested. He had expected cooperation, not competition, and despite the musical talent on stage had been left disappointed with what he'd seen. "Would the two of you care to accompany me on a visit to Moksha? I have been invited as a representative of the Heavenly Host and could benefit from some mortal support. I think it might be more profitable to be there than here."

I am so glad I evacuated my neighbors for this!

After Zoe performed, first Jack of All Blades and then Eddie and Warren played, each one a stellar hard rocking performance. Estelle marveled at the way the teens handled their instruments, but it looked like Jack had basically found an exciting new use for his powers.

"Hey, that's cheating!" :(;)

During the performances, her hair became alive with the music, like a million fibrous oscilloscopes pulsing with energy; sometimes frizzy, other times curly, with a few long locks pulsing just to the bassline. When 'Hanger 18' rumbled to a close, the blonde heroine jumped up and down like a teenager, clapping and eagerly pumping her fist in the air. The whole time, her affectionate little tether rested happily around Divine's hips.

"Yes! Yes! Yes! That was f***ing amazing!" Estelle never cursed, so in a weird way this was high praise indeed. Visibly shaking with excitement, she fetched her guitar, which she had leaned up against the sofa once things started to get hot and heavy, and plugged in her red SG.

"Okay, I am strictly an amateur, and I have no hope of surpassing any of you more talented folks, but now I have to play something! Feel free to join in if you know it; I don't sing, so anyone who wants can take the vocal. After this, we need to hear from Dragonfly." She shot a playful wink the timid girl's way, and then ripped into the opening of Offspring's 'Genocide'

Perhaps inspired by the general level of talent in the room, Gossamer gave a rather impressive performance. Judging from the gleeful look on her face, even she was happily surprised. As she played, she hopped, danced, shuffled, skipped and ran in place, her whole body in ecstatic motion. And yet throughout the whole performance, the little golden ribbon never yanked, tugged or in any way caused Divine the slightest discomfort; it just rested against her soft skin like silk.

Moira was in for the wild ride that Estelle put her through. It was an experience she would never forget and hopefully she would relive. After all this hard music, Moira thought it would be nice to cool it down. Getting up from the sofa where she resided to watch her smitten admirer's performance, she winked to her and mouthed "[divine]Give me a second.[/divine]" Over to the wallflower bass player she sprang! She smiled warmly and whispered, "[divine]Hi, I'm wondering if I can ask you a favor. I see you have a bass there. Do you happen to know Why Don't You Do Right? It's a song that has a bass back up. Perhaps you know it from Jessica Rabbit?[/divine]" She slowly hummed a few notes to jog the girls memory, "[divine]Like that.[/divine]"

Dragonfly looked - and felt - a little like she wanted to blend in with the back wall but was trying not to think about it, nodding a bit in time with Gossamer's playing. Much of her attention was watching the hands as they played, fingers twitching in time with the music. interesting - practiced skilled - still hard to follow - find video online - have computer prepare selection? no remote link - mental link extender? interesting task - mechanics of link unknown - play soon - don't think about it - outclassed, play anyway, good cause - wonder what Divine plays? or sings or--

Over to the wallflower bass player she sprang!

She stood like a deer caught in Divine's headlights, really not prepared to be nearly pounced on. The music reference, though, broke her out of it; she distractedly hummed the last few notes in harmony. a good movie - one of the few seen - good song - backup? bowless, simple - best to perform with another before playing solo - less humiliation less focus - balance out rock, segue into own music - buy a guitar? "Y-...I, yes. Could play backup for you. Bass is tuned already."

Pausing for just a moment longer, she carefully made her way over to her instrument, pulling off her gauntlets and tossing them next to her violin case.

"[divine]Great,[/divine]" Moira softly exclaimed as she touched the girl's cheek, "[divine]Thank you very much.[/divine]" She took the wallflower's hand and gently lead her over to the area where everyone was. "Well," she said with a chuckle to the group, "[divine]I'm probably not the one you'd go to for hard music, but I think I can do something you'll like.[/divine]" She looked to Dragonfly, setting up the instrument. Moira nodded to see if she was ready. When they both were in accord, she smiled.

"[divine]Well, this isn't a fast paced or hard song, but I hope you guys enjoy.[/divine]" When the beat started she put her hands on her hips.

[divine]You had plenty of money in 1922.

You let other guys make a fool of you.

Why don't you do right,

like some other girls do?[/divine]

Slowly she paced towards Estelle after each line, accentuating each step with a move of her hips. Left then right. Left then right. Until she came face to face with her.

[divine]You're sittin down and wonderin what it's all about.

If you ain't got no money, they will put you out.

why don't you do right,

She smirked as she placed her finger under the edge of Estelle's chin bringing her face closer and closer to hers as the song moved along. She winked when she was about an inch away from her face and gracefully pulled away.

[divine]Now if you had prepared 20 years ago.

You wouldn't be a wanderin now from door to door.

Why don't you do right,

Moira began to walk to where she was before, moving from side to side as well. She ended where she stood before. She curtsied after the performance was over.

When Sparksmith finished, he dismissed all of his drumkit save for his stool. He applauded Jack's summoning of a guitar and his performance. He had never heard the song before, but he tapped his thighs in perfect rhythm. Kurt was genuinely impressed by the performance, not expecting much from someone who didn't even know what was going on in the apartment.

As Eddie and Warren approached the mic, Sparksmith felt a chill. All right. Let's see exactly how good this kid is. By the end of the performance, Sparksmith was shaking. He'd never heard a cover...or any song for that matter, done so well in his entire life. H...how was that even possible? After a few seconds, he composed himself. All right... duh... musical mutant... but WOW. Skill. Rift was fantastic too. Never heard him just perform for fun. "Stellar performance guys! Incredible!" Sparky stood and applauded.

Sparky listened to the Dr. perform eagerly, thinking she'd play using her hair or something of the sort. When she played with her hands, he was a tiny bit disappointed, but he was still impressed by the performance, and thoroughly enjoyed it.He applauded again. "That was great! That was a pretty awesome performance! I don't hear Offspring covers very often. That was pretty sweet!

After Moira's performance, Sparksmith was completely still and completely speechless. Her performance wasn't just good, it was...exciting! He wasn't sure if he liked the music or the musician, but both were amazing. "Wow..." Was all he could say for some time after the performance.

When he finally composed himself...again... Kurt stood up applauding. "Wow. I didn't know there were so many good musicians in Freedom, let alone supers that were musicians."

When Divine crossed the room, Estelle reluctantly released her ribbon from around the goddess's waist; she really enjoyed feeling the sway of those hips as she moved.

My God, I have not been this attracted to someone in a long time, and not a female someone since...well... :oops:

"[divine]Well, this isn't a fast paced or hard song, but I hope you guys enjoy.[/divine]"

As the lovely creature began her song, Gossamer was transfixed, not by the song itself, since she honestly couldn't even say if it was in English, but the way Divine formed the words with her lips, coaxing subtle inflections out of each syllable. And of course, her curvaceous body was hypnotic, a perfect balance of softness and muscle that moved like a force of nature, the crash of waves or a summer breeze rustling a leafy oak. When the performance was over, the blonde scientist could only sigh.

Well I'm certainly doomed. :roll:

In the silence after Divine's performance, Dragonfly leaned her bass back up against the wall, working her fingers and looking around from her place off to the side. she's very good - wish I could sing - almost glad I didn't have to play solo - nerve-wracking - not used to this many people being watched being judged - should go back to the food table - but.... She tilted her head at Divine, hesitating. a lot of things I wish I was - beautiful confident self-assured? - had no problems stepping out - encouraged - public flirting - could never - how?

Almost unbidden, her hands moved towards her second case, brushing a gauntlet off and pulling out a beautiful old violin. As quietly as she could, back to the wall, she started tuning. friendly people - they had faith in you

The tuning slowly worked into a quiet, slow violin piece, starting below the background noise and gaining strength. someone like her had faith in you. don't think. don't analyze. don't model. just do. Closing her eyes she took a deep breath, left her peaceful warm-up behind, and made her violin bow dance.

Sparksmith listened intently to the girl's violin solo. He started to tap both of his feet in sync with her song, following closely. He was blown away. He hadn't heard such a skilled violinist in a long time. At the end of the performance, he stood and applauded loudly.

"That was brilliant! I've never heard a violin sing so beautifully."

He remade his drum kit rather quickly, the sparks quickly flying from his hands too the floor, with his kit sprouting up like fast growing flowers. He then twirled his drumsticks between his fingers.

"So, which acts are going to need some percussion to go with them? I don't mind helping anyone out, and I can do other things besides the drums."

When it was over, Estelle jumped to her feet and vigorously applauded Dragonfly's performance. "Bravissima! Truly, truly magnificent! I am really looking forward to this show, and the reactions of the audience; they will not know what hit them!"

In truth, it was good to have a distraction away from the lovely Moira, just to keep her head grounded in the here and now.

"So, which acts are going to need some percussion to go with them? I don't mind helping anyone out, and I can do other things besides the drums."

The blonde chemist cocked her head for a moment. Well Kurt, how's your brushwork? I for one would love to hear what Ace and Tayla could do with a jazz number." She turned to the elder (but not elderly!) heroes and smiled entreatingly. "What do you say? Can you show all of us young people how it's done?" ;)

Ace took Taylas hand and with and steamy smile asked, "So what do you say kid, something along the lines of Paris after the liberation?" he suggested with a wink and in the blink of an eye they both were decked out in apropos costume for a sultry little number they both new so well and led her to the small clear area in the center of the flat. They struck the opening pose and he gave her a confident nod, "To the good ol days."

Talya nodded her agreement to Freedom Angel about leaving the celebration, turning to set her martini down only to have her hand captured by Ace. "Give us five minutes, darling, and we'll be ready to go. Ace does love to make a big exit."

She glanced down at the jaunty sailor outfit that had replaced her suit and quietly hoped that Ace could make things change back as well. She didn't relish looking like this in the Hindu heaven. It was always aggravating to be under or over dressed. Her shoes clicked as she stepped out to follow Ace and she smiled faintly. He never did do things half way. Talya hoped she remembered all the steps as he spun her to face the group. Her voice was low and husky, the classic lounge singer as she started the opening stanza of the song a Capella, her rich alto filling the room. Plus, it would cue those playing back up exactly which song she was going for. She hoped they liked their showtunes.

"Times have changed,

And we've often rewound the clock,

Since the Puritans got a shock,

When they landed on Plymouth Rock.

If today,

Any shock they should try to stem,

'Stead of landing on Plymouth Rock,

Plymouth Rock would land on them."

Her tap shoe hit the ground with a sharp noise, bringing attention to the graceful ankle and she inched the skirt up to show stocking, letting it fall again when it rose above one toned knee, still below the line of her garter. It was a family show, after all.

"In olden days a glimpse of stocking

Was looked on as something shocking,

But now, God knows,

Anything Goes."

She let the skirt fall back to swish around her calves as she let Ace swing her around the room, her smile absolutely genuine as it had been absolute years since they'd done this. This was the reason she'd come, really, because as maddening as this man could be she did love him dearly. Plus, the man had style. Her voice picked up with the tempo of the song.

"If driving fast cars you like,

If low bars you like,

If old hymns you like,

If bare limbs you like,

If Mae West you like

Or me undressed you like,

Why, nobody will oppose!

When every night,

The set that's smart

Is intruding in nudist parties in studios,

Anything Goes."

Talya caught her breath, a husky laugh breaking up the traditional lines of the song as she fell into step with Ace and did her best to keep up with his tap routine. The man had been practicing, drat him. Talya made a mental note to make sure she got in some time to brush up these sorts of skills. Damned if she'd let Ace know she got rusty. She hit the shuffle slap up changes and laughed again as she announced, "Alright, chorus. Now if you know the words, I expect you to bloody join in, yeah?"

"The world has gone mad today

And good's bad today,

And black's white today,

And day's night today,

When most guys today

That women prize today

Are just silly gigolos

And though I'm not a great romancer

I know that I'm bound to answer

When you propose,

Anything goes "

When she finished, she deferred the last bow to Ace and stood for a moment to catch her breath. That actually *had* been fun.

Sparksmith knew what was coming from her new outfit. His kit changed slightly to fit with the mood, changing shapes a bit. Some shrunk, others widened.

He started lightly with her intro, synchronizing perfectly with the woman's words and the beat, giving a bit of a cymbal after each of the "...clock," "...shock," "...Rock," "...stem," and "...them" respectively.

As she continued, he seemed to restart, starting low with "In olden days..." and blooming through the section to "...Anything Goes."

As her voice picked up, his hands followed, the tempo gradually progressing. The bass drum resonates throughout the room, pumping the beat of the song.

Kurt watched and listened closely, staying in sync throughout the performance. Their tapping adding to the percussion made the song sound all the more impressive. His hands couldn't exactly keep up with the tapping--they were incredible-- but he compensated with some fill of his own, fitting in with their tapping beat very well.

At the end of the song, he wiped the sweat from his brow and clapped.

"That was tough, but so worth it. I haven't seen tapping like that, or heard that song sung so well since I saw a recording of the Broadway performance."

When everyone was done, almost as an afterthought, the spokesman for the Celestial Choir took the stage. As this wasn't a time for flashy theatrics, he chose to avoid any. Flaming sword put away for now, and wings folded at his back, the angel faced the crowd. Despite the critics in the audience, Freedom Angel cast a piercing gaze on the crowd. "You will pardon, I hope, if I do not match the standards I did a few years ago. This sounds much better with the power of the infinite divine behind it." And by God, pretentious though it sounded, everyone could tell he meant it. "This is a song about freedom."

Without accompaniment, completely acapella, the angel began to sing:

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord:

He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;

He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword:

His truth is marching on.

Tears glistened in his eyes as he sang, the sheer honesty of a moment that was beyond him, beyond the frailty of mortal ego and human flesh, a moment that was only for the sheer power of the words and the meaning they held for the people in the crowd.

Glory, glory, hallelujah!

His truth is marching on.

Heyzel's words rocked with power, but his thoughts were locked deep inside. How many times had he sung this alongside the perfect legions of Heaven, friends and family united together in love and faith to build the perfect world for the purest souls of Creation? How far had he fallen, to find himself here amongst these mortals so frail in flesh and soul?

I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps,

They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;

I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps:

His day is marching on.

But no, he reminded himself. Humanity wasn't frail; humanity was human. These were brave souls who battled the forces of the Adversary, the forces of despair and loss, with courage and love for one another. If there was corruption and vice in them, so what? It was his job to help them be better, not condemn them for the sins in their hearts. What was Heaven but a world where everyone, whatever their deeds, earned their just reward?

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel:

"As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal;

Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel,

Since God is marching on."

People mistook him often for a superhero, an impression he didn't argue with since it made it so much easier to relate to people like this. The truth was, really, that he admired them. All of them. To risk himself against impossible odds was one thing. He knew the justice of the universe and his own soul's destination better than anyone on this plane did. But for these people, with their fragile bodies and fragile lives, to risk themselves time and again against the foulest beasts of Uncreation, even those that sprang from the human heart....that was something. That was more.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;

He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat:

Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet!

Our God is marching on.

He looked neither right nor left as he sang, letting the words reach out to everyone in the crowd in their own way. This wasn't about him or about how he wanted to make people feel: he gave them beauty, gave them truth, and how they handled what they got from him was a choice for their own souls to make. He was an angel singing, and the reaction of the crowd was in their hands. He could have made them love it; so easily imposing the power of the divine on their human souls. But what greater sin could there be than that, the corruption of Heaven's justice?

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,

With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:

As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,

While God is marching on

Could he make the sacrifice that mortal men had made for this place? Risking his own safety for the good of the souls in Heaven was one thing, but wasn't Creation ultimately fragile and doomed to fall? Shaking his head, he remembered the forces of entropy and sin that had so nearly pulled this place down so very often. Humanity had saved itself, time and again, proving that his teachers had been wrong. There was ultimate justice even on this plane; man's Creation, man's finite world, had a purpose! It was a purpose of salvation!

He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave,

He is Wisdom to the mighty, He is Succour to the brave,

So the world shall be His footstool, and the soul of Time His slave,

Our God is marching on.

As his closing, the angel of Freedom drew his flaming sword and cut a hole open in the universe itself, pure white light spilling out as a vision of unearthly Paradise blossomed before everyone's gaze. "Come, Ace, Talya," he said, gesturing grandly, "your reward for your deeds this day awaits! The rest of you, I shall see you again when justice must be done and free souls saved!"

Back at the buffet table, Jack of all Blades blinked several times in bemusement even as he applauded Ace and Talya's routine. "I... think I just swallowed my gum," he murmured to nobody in particular, "and I wasn't chewing any gum." For all that the swashbuckler dealt with beings of unimaginable power on a regular basis, it was personalities like the two ageless adventurers before him that truly made Jack feel dwarfed.

He was about to call out something pithy when the man with the wings took to the stage. As Hayzel began to sing, Jack stopped moving for a moment, and unconsciously moved his hand to grasp for the cross he hadn't worn around his neck on a thin silver chain since he was a in high school. Since his mother had... well. It had been a while, and the fencer turned away from the crowd for a moment as the hymn concluded.

Dragonfly had put her violin back in its case, nodding at the praise and turning a little pink around the ears as she quickly made her way back to the food table, where she could watch and not be as watched. glad that went well - good impression - don't want to do it again for a long long time Picking her plate back up, she settled back against the wall to watch the remaining performers.

Talya and Ace's performance was more than impressive. don't know the song - audio visual; musical? stage? - very well-done - where did the outfits come from? - chemistry - envious - older than they seem? Shaking her head, she was reaching out for another batch of food when the angel (mutant? alien mythological genetic modifications) took his place. She gave a mental snort at his opening speech...but by the time he was finished he had her full and (relatively, for her brain anyway) undivided attention. At some point she'd put her plate down, but she couldn't remember when.

angel - a real angel - knowing without evidence - how? mental magic fundamental effect? - rethink position on validity of major religions

So much beautiful music. So many beautiful people. This was truly a bit of heaven. And if this was a preview of her afterlife, Moira did not mind at all. Then again, she mused, her afterlife wouldn't be so awkward and people would be more open with their emotions. But this was the mortal realm. Almost everyone thought their feelings were a bad thing. How little they knew. As for feeling, Moira wondered how the hostess was feeling. Especially about who was doing what in the concert. She removed her sandals and slowly tiptoed towards the hostess, trying to surprise her. Whether or not it was futile didn't matter. Moira lightly placed her hand on the small of Estelle's back with one soft stroke. "[divine]So,[/divine]" she said standing next to the hostess, looking to her with an almost sly smile, "[divine]How are you going to make your decision with this much talent?[/divine]"

This would not be a day Estelle de Havilland would soon forget; the performances, the experiences, including a glimpse at Nirvana itself. It was enough to take her breath away.

"[divine]So,[/divine]" she said standing next to the hostess, looking to her with an almost sly smile, "[divine]How are you going to make your decision with this much talent?[/divine]"

Speak of the devil! :twisted:

At the touch of the goddess's hand, Estelle stood up a little straighter, and the end of her ponytail twitched this way and that, like the tip of a happy cat's tail. The blonde chemist turned her head slightly and returned Moira's smile.

"Are you kidding? I'm signing everyone!" Then she bit her lower lip as her pale blue eyes wandered the expansive loveliness of her guest. "So, maybe after one last number, I have some free time this afternoon, and a lot of leftover food and drink if you wanted...I'd actually like to talk to you about a few things, really...if you have time. Actually, hold that that thought for just one moment."

Clearing her throat, Estelle addressed the remaining performers.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to thank you all for coming here today; as far as I'm concerned, you're all in the show if you want to be. We can work out all the details in the weeks to come, so just make sure to leave me some way to contact you, via phone, email or any other means."

She sent a tendril to fetch her Gibson (which meant she didn't have to stray from Divine's side), put the strap over her shoulder, and strummed a few chords.

"But before we finish for the day, I think we should all pick a song we know and have one last final group jam. Any suggestions?"

Without saying a word, a sly smile crossed Eddies face. He shot a quick look toward the DJ equipment he had set up which kicked to life. He allowed it to play the opening chords of a song before cutting it off. "Just kidding." he shrugged, "Sorry, I couldn't resist. How about something by Boston? Peace of Mind? More Than a Feeling? Those are both pretty 'feel good songs'. Not a bad way to end the night." Eddie gave a smile. He knew that he could play anything that anyone requested, and he would be happy to do it as well.

All throughout Freedom Angel's performance, Sparksmith followed silently with his hands tapping his thighs. It was a song that he loved to play, but it was the angel's spotlight. At the end, a tear fell from his face. A glorious performance. He stood, saluted, applauded, then sat back down.

How about something by Boston? Peace of Mind? More Than a Feeling?

"I am all for More than a Feeling. Probably my favorite Boston song."

Sparky smirks and spins in his energy chair, his drum kit reverting to how it was for the song prior to Anything Goes.

"Besides, 'More Than a Feeling' is a nice cool down song for me. Keeping up with the tap routine wasn't easy."

Estelle nodded enthusiastically at Eddie's suggestion.

"Yes, yes, 'More Than A Feeling' is an excellent choice! Okay, if you don't really know how to play the song, feel free to clap, play the tambourine or just shake your moneymaker."

She flashed a huge smile Divine's way and winked.

"And remember, we're just having a bit of fun now, so let's rip it up!"

The blonde guitarist bent over her instrument and began to play the familiar intro.

A few seconds later, Eddie picked up the vocals part. His voice was melodic, and perfectly on key.

"I looked out this morning and the sun was gone

Turned on some music to start my day

I lost myself in a familiar song

I closed my eyes and I slipped away"

Before long, he was waving his arms upward, to try and get the others in the room to raise their instruments. Then he really began to lose himself in the music.

"It's more than a feeling

(More than a feeling)

When I hear that old song they used to play

(More than a feeling)

I begin dreaming

(More than a feeling)

'Til I see Marianne walk away"

But halfway through the next verse, he found that he couldn't help but look at Zoe. There was no hatred in the gaze. There was no resentment, no hostility, and no negative emotions save for a deep heartfelt sadness that few in the room would actually be able to pick up on. Instead of interrupting his groove, it only caused him to sing with renewed fervor.

"I see my Marianne walkin' away..."

Dragonfly leaned back against the wall, head nodding to the music. She didn't know the song, but she could appreciate the music. When the concert rolled around, it was sure to be one heck of a performance, and her mind was already ablaze with ideas and concerns.

likely to attract supervillains - better armaments - performance enhancement? - practice tune platforms theoretical but may be done by then....

Sparksmith played along with his fellow heroes. His drums grow and shrink as he hits each one in time.

As Breakdown rose his hands in the air, Sparksmith does the same, moving his energy drumsticks with his mind, not missing a single beat.

Sparksmith smiled as the drumsticks hammered away at the drums. He swayed from side to side with the music.