Secret Identities

Barnum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hola. I suppose I'm technically not a player yet, since I haven't had a character approved. Still, it can't hurt to be optimistic and introduce myself now.

I'm a high school math teacher located in central Texas. I used to work as a computer programmer, primarily coding online databases for the USAF medical service. I'm married with kid, and old enough to have started RP'ing with this funny little game printed on pamphlets that came in a brown box. It was called something like Dungeons & Dragons. Yes, I do occasionally cough dust and reminisce about the days when we hunted mammoth for a living.

Anywho, I've been a fan of superhero RP'ing since the V&V days, and consider M&M to be the best supers game to date. I'm also still a Browncoat, despite Serenity being an obvious last gasp for the franchise. :cry: My favorite comics are Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing, the Big Three Graphic Novels (The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, and Kingdom Come, pretty much in that order), the current run of JSA, Will Eisner's Spirit, and Lone Wolf and Cub. And, there'll always be a special place in my heart for Badger. And... Hmmm, this could easily turn into a Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition's weapons of terror thing, so I'll stop there.

I s'pose that's a good enough intro for the moment. Hi there. Nice to meetcha. Lookin' forward to playing with the folks hereabouts.

Sacerdos? Once your character is approved, we may have to call you the Patron Saint of ass-kicking. I believe I'm supposed to officially not like you as Thunderstanding is better at what Hellbound does than Hellbound is (though I've known since the start that he wasn't a very optimal build).

You can post the survey answers to your character's 'news' thread under the 'Freedom City News' forum. That's basically just a venue for you to track Thunderstanding's progress in whatever format you want. Most people name their thread after their char for clarity, but I had to be a smartass and call mine the Hellblog. I provide a link to each of his threads and post a little of how he interprets the events through his own eyes to a mythical fanbase.

'Cut my teeth on the Keep as well over here, so if you've got a nice porch laying around we can both fart some dust together. I have to admit that I'm not the fan of M&M that you are. Set in my ways, I'm having trouble dragging myself out of the Champions mindset and into a game that clearly allows for more creativity and freedom on the part of the player. Games aren't about empowering the players, dagnibit, they're about GM's hitting people with sharp objects.

Good job on the Wuxia modeling, by the way. Particularly the Regen, though I'm surprised you didn't link the recovery scene from Kung Fu Hustle to show an example for that one. So have you studied Wu Shu at all, or are you just a fan of the cinema?

I believe I'm supposed to officially not like you as Thunderstanding is better at what Hellbound does than Hellbound is (though I've known since the start that he wasn't a very optimal build).

: P P P P P

Hellbound is a very optimal build. I should know - I didn't create him, but I sure helped to refine him.

And there isn't really anything Thunderstanding can do that I didn't at least suggest for Hellbound. :D

It's hard to make a completely optomized build here, all of your opponents are constantly getting stronger and adapting too. Most characters are however specialized. Malice has DAKKA, Scarab has insane menal prowess, Doc. A has technogiggery out to wazzo, Avenger has - wait, where did he go?, Captain Knievel has the market in insane thrill seeking, and so on.

But I don't think we've seen a wire fu martial artist. So best of luck on your pending approval and I look forward to when our characters beat the ever loving snot out of each other :twisted:

Sacerdos? Once your character is approved, we may have to call you the Patron Saint of ass-kicking. I believe I'm supposed to officially not like you as Thunderstanding is better at what Hellbound does than Hellbound is (though I've known since the start that he wasn't a very optimal build).

Oh, I don't know about that. His fiery blood gives him a surprising edge through its fear effect, IMO. And he's not that far off, combat-bonus-wise. I think it'd be a close fight that could go either way.

You can post the survey answers to your character's 'news' thread under the 'Freedom City News' forum.

Sweet. Thanks!

Most people name their thread after their char for clarity, but I had to be a smartass and call mine the Hellblog.

I love the Hellblog! It's one of the things that prompted me to submit a character.

'Cut my teeth on the Keep as well over here, so if you've got a nice porch laying around we can both fart some dust together. I have to admit that I'm not the fan of M&M that you are. Set in my ways, I'm having trouble dragging myself out of the Champions mindset and into a game that clearly allows for more creativity and freedom on the part of the player.

M&M was the first supers game that made me actually picture a comic book, panel by panel, as I read its combat rules. And I love all that flexibility. Then again, I'm also a Nobilis fan. lol

Games aren't about empowering the players, dagnibit, they're about GM's hitting people with sharp objects.

LOL! You are old school!

Good job on the Wuxia modeling, by the way. Particularly the Regen, though I'm surprised you didn't link the recovery scene from Kung Fu Hustle to show an example for that one.

I was really tempted to link to it.

So have you studied Wu Shu at all, or are you just a fan of the cinema?

I've studied a variety of martial arts, including Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun kung fu, and modern judo (and dabbled with Brazilian jujutsu and kung fu staff forms). Right now, I'm studying a koryu bujutsu that includes kenjutsu (sword art), jujutsu (wrestling art), iaijutsu (sword-drawing art), and juttejutsu (jutte art) under Kuroda Tetsuzan. Someday, I'd love to try out some more kung fu styles, but the ol' body is getting a little ancient and battered for the really flashy punchy-kicky stuff. (All of that makes me sound like much more of a badass than I really am. I can defend myself in a pinch, but I'm no Chuck Norris.)

It's hard to make a completely optomized build here, all of your opponents are constantly getting stronger and adapting too.

It's a comic book game. There's always someone around who can nail you where you're weak. That's one of the cool things about the genre.

But I don't think we've seen a wire fu martial artist. So best of luck on your pending approval and I look forward to when our characters beat the ever loving snot out of each other :twisted:

Coolness! It's nice to have hit an empty niche. And I'm looking forward to letting the fists fly. :D

Hi I'm the angrydurf and I'm a gamer ...

:)

So that taken care of I'm a stay at home dad and part time student of the Culinary Arts, which is a fancy way to say i take comunity college cooking courses when they fit my schedual and my wife works too hard. Once the little one is off to school for most of the day I'm looking to be ready to work as a pastery chef. Outside my bubble of domesticity I mostly am, as I said above, a gamer, Computers to LARP to PbP/PbEM too many games to count over the years really.

I started with M&M in the first edition when it crossed the shelves at the game store I was working at at the time. I ran a few games and even managed to get someone else to run one at least once and picked up 2E as I have been able despite not being a huge fan of the genre. Never been much of a comics guy but I love comic book movies and cartoons but the wife more than makes up for it and has succesfully retrained my brain to how the storylines actually go.

I'll be putting up a character as soon as I get him succesfully polished and presentable and look forward to getting into the game.

I so want to see Nightrival and Thunderstanding spar.

Having finally gotten 'round to reading Nightrival, I wholeheartedly agree. (Though, I suspect that poor Thunder would get her derriere handed to her. Being down two PLs hurts, and he's an impressive ball of mad kung fu skills.)

Although I've been around for quite a while, I never did post here.

Part of the reason for that is I tend to be pretty private, I generally don't like to confuse my online life, online characters with "the real world." Typically "I live in western Canada" is as much personal information as I am comfortable sharing... but more sneaks out as I get to know people. The Lord Fell persona has been my gaming ID for about a decade as well. Originally, he was my character for an "Internet Wrestling Federation." I strongly suspect that I was the only player to be bigger in real life than my character in the e-Fed.

My geek credentials... I've been gaming since 1982. I've played pretty much every genre, and I've tried a LOT of systems. Heck, I own copies of Macho Women with Guns (and all the supplements), It Came from the Late, Late Show, Toon, and most of the usual suspects. I've been to Gen*Con, and helped my university gaming club put on several Cons, and GM'd a bunch of events, and wrote a few tournament modules.

Hi I'm the angrydurf and I'm a gamer ...

Hey Durf! Welcome aboard! :D

Durf here GMed the best tabletop RPG campaign I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of in two decades of gaming*. Also, the only one to ever reach it's conclusion...twice!

And he's a real sport, too. Not only does he suffer in silence while his wife and I ramble on about comics, he actually tries to pay attention and learn.

*For those of you paying attention at home, that's right - I started at age 8. It's OK to be jealous. 8-)

Hi, I'm Electra, I'm AvengersAssembled's wife, IRL. I'm just checking things out, maybe dabbling in some character creation. I'm an attorney stuck in the horrible job market and considerably underemployed right now, so I'm filling my time with other things. Lately I've been doing a lot of knitting and cat fostering. I look forward to meeting more people around here, Avenger really seems to enjoy it here. =)

Hi, I'm Electra, I'm AvengersAssembled's wife, IRL. I'm just checking things out, maybe dabbling in some character creation. I'm an attorney stuck in the horrible job market and considerably underemployed right now, so I'm filling my time with other things. Lately I've been doing a lot of knitting and cat fostering. I look forward to meeting more people around here, Avenger really seems to enjoy it here. =)

USE THE COMPUTER MORE. WE MUST STOP HIS POSTING!!!

Also... welcome. :D

Hello, all

Now that I'm officially part of the boards, I'd like to introduce myself :)

I'm a 3-D artist living in the Philippines. I've played D&D 3rd ed a bit of V:TM and a few hours of D&D 4th ed. I was exited to learn about M&M from a friend but sadly nobody plays it here. Luckily there's such a place in the interwebs as FC:PBP so now I've got a chance to play:)