Secret Identities

Barnum

Hey, that tickles!

Yes, Sorus and Blue and I go waaay back. I've known Sorus for over a decade, and Blue for nearly as long. First met Sorus on a TRANSFORMERS fan site (the Axalon Underground, or AUG), waaay back when I first manifested on the interwebs. (My handle is a direct result of that; I saw most everyone had a handle based on some TF character, so I made mine off a mind controlling mad scientist.) I met Blue at her site by following a poster from the AUG to her place, Blue's Club (BC), and got roped into some D&D PbP gaming there. Next thing I knew, I was running a D&D game, then a Marvel Super Heroes game (which lasted about a year), and others. (And all those games were lost b/c of Yuku's screwover of ezboard :( ) In time, I became an Admin for both the AUG and for BC.

But time changes us all, and we often drift apart without meaning to. I left the AUG for a while (and BC for a loooong while) -- mostly b/c I was trying to keep this place in line -- but now I'm trying to get back to both those boards. "Make new friends, but keep the old; One is silver, the other gold."

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I figure my first post here should be to introduce myself, so here goes…

I work for the government. (OK, I'm a systems analyst for a state unemployment agency, but I love saying that :) ) I've been playing role-playing games for… a long time. Let's just say I still own my original, crumbling D&D dice from the boxed set, and leave it at that :) I've come to enjoy the PbP medium because it lets me flex my creative writing muscles, and because between my job and my family, I don't have a ton of time to play FtF games. I happened to see a link to this place in Dr. Archeville's sig over at the Atomic Think Tank, and was very happy to see what a great environment it is. I'm looking forward to playing here.

Well, I'm about to submit my first character. Cross your fingers for me!

• 1 month later...

Greetings! Quite the site you've got here; I've never before seen such a grand concept last so long. As a great fan of both PbP roleplaying and Mutants and Masterminds (heck, the whole D20 system), I'm very impressed, and also very excited to become a part of all this. I've been forum RPing for about five years now, playing pen and paper in general for six or so, and playing MnM for a whopping two; then again, I make characters for fun, so I know the system decently well.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Welcome to the boards! We've got a wiki where you can look at a bunch of user uploaded information. It's still a work in progress, so it's a bit hit or miss, but the info that is there is good.

Also, head into the Chat when you've got the chance. A bunch of us hang out there throughout the day and shoot the breeze. It's a good way to get to know everyone, and a good place to ask any questions if you have them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, new around here. I have always been craving a more regular outlet for my need for superheroic antics, and my local gaming buddies just aren't interested in M&M :(. When I heard about this place I figured I'd try to join in :D.

I've posted up a build named for and inspired by the Golden Age hero Black Terror, though I've changed his real identity, power origins, motives and even ethnicity, only retaining the name and costume because I enjoy both. As an explanation for the similarities in-universe, I came up with him being a fan of Golden Age comics when he was a kid, and therefore basing his later-life costume and moniker off the actual comic character. I was vaguely inspired for this by an Astro City story where a woman working at a "reality comics" publisher in titular city mentions working at Marvel and DC comics, and remembered Freedom has it's own "reality comics" publisher.

So any words of advice for a new fool :P?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, as you can see Im new and saying hi. Kay, something else to say? Im new to Mutants and Masterminds (how new? I got my books yesterday, natch), but I have a rather long experiance with other RPG's, mostly DnD, d20 Modern, Scion, MURPG and lately Exalted. Im also big on Comic books and anime and other stuff.

Oh, and Im polish :P Which is pretty rare, I guess.

Be prepared to forget a lot of what you "learned" playing other RPGs. M&M2E character creation requires a type of thinking that is sideways, if not totally backwards, from pretty much every other system on the market, especially (ironically) D20/D&D.

I don't mean to imply any deficiency on your part. I've simply noticed a steep learning curve from players who come from standard D20 over to M&M2E. Mostly, this is on account of the Power Level combat cap system. Most players are accustomed to starting with a base trait, then stacking as many different bonuses onto it as they can scrounge up. With M&M2E, you do the opposite: You start with a ceiling, then you build up to it. And that ceiling includes most of your situational modifiers, too.

That's a huge roadblock for most players to bend their thinking around - the fact that situational bonuses like Attack Focus, Favored Environment, and Attractive aren't really "bonuses." They're flawed versions of base traits like combat bonuses and skills; they're cheaper because they're ultimately less effective (most often due to a more narrow focus). Most players think that Base Attack +8 and Attack Specialization (Swords) on a PL10 character means "I'm good with most attacks, but even better with swords!" Really, it means "Most of the time, I'm not as good as other PL10s. I only manage to catch up to them when I happen to be using my favored weapon, a sword." Bluff 6, Diplomacy 6, and Attractive (for a +10 total bonus) means "I'm not as good with people as the guy with Bluff 10 and Diplomacy 10. I only catch up when the people I'm dealing with think I'm hot."

Most gamers seem to have a lot of trouble changing their thinking to match this paradigm.

Greetings fair citizens. I just recently found this place through TV Tropes.

I live in the Huntsville area of Alabama in the US, and work at a bank there. I've been gaming for a little over a decade now, all of it face-to-face, so this is my first experience with a PbP game. I don't have a great deal of experience with the M&M system either, having only picked it up within the last year.

I look forward to gaming with you all.

Greetings fair citizens. I just recently found this place through TV Tropes.

I live in the Huntsville area of Alabama in the US, and work at a bank there. I've been gaming for a little over a decade now, all of it face-to-face, so this is my first experience with a PbP game. I don't have a great deal of experience with the M&M system either, having only picked it up within the last year.

I look forward to gaming with you all.

Oh god. It seems TVTropes claimed another victim. We feel for you. That's why our page is up there :P

Anyways, welcome. Good to have you.