What are you reading?

cosmicarus

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read the entire X-Wing series. Twice. Well, not the last one, though I would like to go back and read that again. I prefer those to anything having to do with the jedi, because it seems like a given that Lucas will eventually make something cannon that screws with everything people write. Like Midiclorians. Or however you spell the name of the stupid bacteria. Plus, it's all well and good for Luke to be a great pilot, but he has the Force. Wedge is better and has only instinct and years of training.

I've read the entire X-Wing series. Twice. Well, not the last one, though I would like to go back and read that again. I prefer those to anything having to do with the jedi, because it seems like a given that Lucas will eventually make something cannon that screws with everything people write. Like Midiclorians. Or however you spell the name of the stupid bacteria. Plus, it's all well and good for Luke to be a great pilot, but he has the Force. Wedge is better and has only instinct and years of training.

I just finished reading through the Teen Titans "Future Titans" story arc. It also was pretty good. If you aren't a fan, you'll need a score card to keep up with who's who (present and future), who's in love with whom (present and future), and who is dead (present and future). :D But it has a lot of great battles. It has Robin with a gun. :o And best of all, it has the Blue Beetle! :D

I just finished reading through the Teen Titans "Future Titans" story arc. It also was pretty good. If you aren't a fan, you'll need a score card to keep up with who's who (present and future), who's in love with whom (present and future), and who is dead (present and future). :D But it has a lot of great battles. It has Robin with a gun. :o And best of all, it has the Blue Beetle! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. That is *the* saddest and most depressing book I have ever read.

It was good, but it made me cry. Very cathartic. :D

I've heard it's quite intense :shock:

Aside from the Harry Potter novels, I haven't had a lot of luck reading fiction as I've gotten older, and now read a lot more non-fiction, especially as research for my own creative efforts. I've recently started two very different books that are quite fascinating.

1491: New Revelations Of The Americas Before Columbus is pretty darn cool and rather sobering, as it explores the effect European diseases had on the various Indian empires and cultures, as well as exploring just how advanced some of them really were at their peak (Inkas = wow).

The US Army - Marine Corps Counterinsurgency Field Manual reflects our military's cutting edge thinking about how to fight our current and future wars, based on the harsh lessons learned in Iraq and Afghanistan; it's a radical rethink of the traditional approach to warfare and foreign relations, and possibly one of the most significant books of the new millennium.

• 1 month later...

Having recently finished earning my degree, I find I'm once again able to read for leisure. Last week I read Heinlein's Starship Troopers -- I'd never read it, and seeing Iron Man got me in the mood to read some power armor sci-fi.

It was... about what I expected, given what I know of Heinlein. I disagree with the philosophies within, but didn't see all the bad things I'd heard about it. The power armor descriptions were nice. And now I see exactly what all the fuss was about when the movie came out (i.e., why folks were so upset at the changes, especially the lack of power armor, one of the defining elements of the book). (I hear the 3rd ST movie will actually have power armor in it.)

Now I'm reading Soon I Will Be Invincible. It's been incredibly awesome so far, and I highly recommend it for anyone who like superhero vs. supervillain comic books.

I've yet to actually pick up Starship Troopers and give it a go. I'll have to see if the library has a copy when I get back to school. Oddly enough my school's library has an expansive literature section which contains some very...unique selections.

Recently I finished reading a few Christopher Moore novels: Lamb and Fluke. If you like absurdity, he definitely manages to reach the limits.

I'm also about to start At Swim Two-Swans by one of my favorite Irish writers: Flann O'Brien. If you like to read satire and can handle trying to decipher the crazy things he says then it's quite enjoyable. The only other novel of his I read was The Third Policeman. I found it hilarious although others have found it dry and wanting.

I love Heinlein, though I think Friday is more enjoyable than Starship Troopers in some ways. That said, I think it's safe to say that you'll find something objectionable in any of his books...he had a lot of weird ideas about politics and society, and he was never shy about pushing them across in his writing. Of course, that's why I love his books.

I consider ST to be the best argument I've ever heard in favor of fascism/militarism; as someone fairly opposed to those ideas in real life, I found it educational to read it, think about it, and refute the ideas on my own. And of course, the best thing about any Heinlein book (in my opinion) is the main character, who is likeable as always.

I've read a decent amount of Heinlein, but still not many of his most famous ones. I loved Friday when I was in high school; that was around the time I found out I was attracted to strong female characters, like Friday and Molly from Gibson's Sprawl trilogy, which lead me to create the types of characters I make today. I should read Friday again, just to see how much I like it know that I'm older an more mature (yeah, right) ;)