What are you reading?

cosmicarus

Androids, political intrigue, and dry British humor. What could be better? :)

Agreed.

I picked up a copy of the first trade of 'Rising Stars' yesterday, so I've got that and 'Astro City' to read. While I was away I picked up 'Maus' and 'Hero', the novel. 'Maus' was great! I really liked the eay the story was told and interspersed with the authors relationship with his father. I really felt engaged by the main characters. I think I may find it hard to finish 'Hero', just because it's written for a younger audience and I have things backed up I think I may like more. That said, it hasn't been too bad so far.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Androids, political intrigue, and dry British humor. What could be better? :)

Agreed.

I picked up a copy of the first trade of 'Rising Stars' yesterday, so I've got that and 'Astro City' to read. While I was away I picked up 'Maus' and 'Hero', the novel. 'Maus' was great! I really liked the eay the story was told and interspersed with the authors relationship with his father. I really felt engaged by the main characters. I think I may find it hard to finish 'Hero', just because it's written for a younger audience and I have things backed up I think I may like more. That said, it hasn't been too bad so far.

I just finished the first trade of 'Rising Stars' - still waiting for it to 'wow' me. I think I went in with too many people talking it up for me.

Also, quickly went through 'Man With A Screaming Brain' - possibly the most mediocre thing Bruce Campbell has ever been invovled with... still, it is Bruce Campbell, so I can't say too many bad things about it :)

I just finished the first trade of 'Rising Stars' - still waiting for it to 'wow' me. I think I went in with too many people talking it up for me.

Also, quickly went through 'Man With A Screaming Brain' - possibly the most mediocre thing Bruce Campbell has ever been invovled with... still, it is Bruce Campbell, so I can't say too many bad things about it :)

'Rising Stars' sounds pretty downbeat, Cos. I got depressed just reading about it. :cry:

On another note of mediocrity, Clive Cussler's novel, 'Black Wind', is an exercise in why you don't let family help you write. Get this: the villain in the book actually invited the hero to dinner after capturing him, then placed him in an easily escapable deathtrap! First off, even James Bond, the king of camp in that respect, hasn't done that since Live and Let Die! I felt like I was reading the first draft off of the new Austin Powers movie, but the writer's strike had somehow removed all the humor from it.

I haven't read a Dirk Pitt novel in a while. The old dog has not aged well. :x

(Oh, and it's not even Dirk Pitt! It's his son, who is inappropriately named, guess what? DIRK PITT! Way to think outside the box, Clive! Is your dog named Dog? How about the family feline? Would be a "Cat" good guess?! You putz!)

'Rising Stars' sounds pretty downbeat, Cos. I got depressed just reading about it. :cry:

On another note of mediocrity, Clive Cussler's novel, 'Black Wind', is an exercise in why you don't let family help you write. Get this: the villain in the book actually invited the hero to dinner after capturing him, then placed him in an easily escapable deathtrap! First off, even James Bond, the king of camp in that respect, hasn't done that since Live and Let Die! I felt like I was reading the first draft off of the new Austin Powers movie, but the writer's strike had somehow removed all the humor from it.

(Oh, and it's not even Dirk Pitt! It's his son, who is inappropriately named, guess what? DIRK PITT! Way to think outside the box, Clive! Is your dog named Dog? How about the family feline? Would be a "Cat" good guess?! You putz!)

Technically, Dirk Pitt (Senior) had nothing to do with the name of his son. Dirk Pitt (Junior) and his twin sister (Summer) were both born from one of Dirk's liaisons during his adventures. The woman whom he thought had died was just horribly disfigured/paralyzed and didn't want him looking at her in a broken state. So when she had twins, she raised them herself, and after she finally passed away from her injuries, they came to find him.

Granted, I'm more of a fan of classic Dirk Pitt, like Sahara or Dragon. I didn't even know that Black Wind was a Dirk Pitt novel.

Technically, Dirk Pitt (Senior) had nothing to do with the name of his son. Dirk Pitt (Junior) and his twin sister (Summer) were both born from one of Dirk's liaisons during his adventures. The woman whom he thought had died was just horribly disfigured/paralyzed and didn't want him looking at her in a broken state. So when she had twins, she raised them herself, and after she finally passed away from her injuries, they came to find him.

Granted, I'm more of a fan of classic Dirk Pitt, like Sahara or Dragon. I didn't even know that Black Wind was a Dirk Pitt novel.

Oh, my fight is not with Pitt senior, good sir. And I prefer to believe that Cussler senior is not to blame for the literary abortion I have devoted unhealthy amounts of time reading. If you will notice, Clive's son, which is where he undoubtedly got the name of his character from, (it's Dirk, in case you haven't been paying attention) is listed as co-author. Methinks the son got into daddy's writing supplies and snuck this 530 page triumph of crap out the back door while Clive was washing down his classic cars and thinking about how great it was that his halfwit of a son hadn't the brains to put pen to paper.

Oh, my fight is not with Pitt senior, good sir. And I prefer to believe that Cussler senior is not to blame for the literary abortion I have devoted unhealthy amounts of time reading. If you will notice, Clive's son, which is where he undoubtedly got the name of his character from, (it's Dirk, in case you haven't been paying attention) is listed as co-author. Methinks the son got into daddy's writing supplies and snuck this 530 page triumph of crap out the back door while Clive was washing down his classic cars and thinking about how great it was that his halfwit of a son hadn't the brains to put pen to paper.