Somewhere That's Green (IC)

Electra

Lynn jumped to her feet and vigorously applauded. "Mozel tov!" She was openly weaping tears of joy now, so happy for Derrick and Stesha as well as giddy at the thought of her own upcoming nuptuals. She exchanged silly smiles with Mona as she kept on clapping.

"So when do we get to dance and get drunk?"

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quentin finally spied someone he recognised - probably everyone recognised him - Doktor Archeville. He wandered off to greet the scientist, nodding politely to some guests as he did so, wondering if he knew any of them in alternate identities: as heroes who regularly saved Freedom City.

Something about Archeville's accent always made him mindful to speak in German himself, he wasn't quite sure why, perhaps he thought the Doktor would find it more comfortable, although he seemed fluent enough in English (and probably half the dialects of the world, given his intellect).

"" he greeted the scientist in German. "

He obviously knows their 'other' identities...

Mona sighed contentedly and seemed otherwise unmoved. True, she felt a little out of place in the church, but at the same time, Stesha and Derrick deserved a perfect wedding. Including the mood-lightening comment from the little girl, the wedding was, indeed, perfect. The church, the flowers, the dress, all made Stesha seem to blossom on her special day, and Derrick, whom she knew a little better, had a heroic yet loving set to his pose.

Which he probably needed on his special day.

Silently, she wished them well, but at the same time, perked an ear just in case some villain decided to pop up. When the kiss sealed the deal, a ghost of a smile signaled her happiness at their union. Smiling to Viktor, she stood with Lynn and the other guests for a room of applause. Grim's enthusiasm was contagious, after all.

"Congratulations!"

Archeville joined in with enthusiastic applause. His smile broadened just a bit, and got just a bit toothier, when his eyes slid from the happy couple to Mona.

Ah, there is that smile I love to see!

Soon he as on his way to the reception, but intercepted by Professor Quill on the way. He smiled and shook the man's hand, "Brainiac Brunch! How have you been, sir?>"

Know them? Ah, Derrick and Stesha kept their civilian IDs up, and not everyone here knows. How might I know their civilian identities... ah!

""

Hrm, if I remember correctly, Professor Quill can be a bit of a 'rambler.' Okay, possible avenues of escape there, there, and there, and should all else fail I can fake receiving a call from the Freedom League on my earbud communicator.

"Hmmmm, yes. She is quite the green fingered one, isn't she. Met her at the University myself, lovely young lady. Good cook. And jolly nice chap she is marrying too, of course. Although I don't know him quite so well of course. They make a splendid couple don't they?"

He adjusted his bow tie for the umpteenth time as he spoke to the Doktor.

"Well, nice to know we have the same taste in florists as we do in Quantum physics, eh?"

Mark hung out with Trevor for the walking trip to the reception, making a good team of two bachelor Claremont boys. Well, not really bachelors. I suppose Erin'd get mad if Trevor did the guy-at-a-wedding thing. Mark winked at the younger of the bridesmaids, a pretty woman who looked to be college age, and she smiled back, though it was tough to tell if she was smiling 'at' him or 'with' him. She looks like she's in college. Well...I guess it doesn't hurt to try! He knew for a fact Zaranna wouldn't care; after that thing with Marcus, she wasn't a hypocrite.

Tarrant certainly lent his hands to the applause, his smile upgraded to a full-blown grin now as the happy couple were officially, finally married. Hands in his pockets he took his time getting out to the reception; the earthmover was still enjoying his rapport with such an old building. Even if it could have talked he wouldn't have understood it, of course, but oh, if it could, the things the walls had probably seen.... Though never a wedding quite as nice as this one, he corrected, still grinning. Certainly not a wedding as nice as this one. I'm pretty sure that's not possible.

Hands in his suit jacket pockets, Trevor allowed Mark to lead the way, replacing his fedora atop his head and sauntering calmly along. He wasn't entirely clear on the etiquette at this point, now that the ceremony was over, but his considerably more gregarious friend never seemed to have any trouble getting my regardless of the social situation. Point in case, he sighed inwardly as the probability controler began making eyes at one of the bridesmaids. Does this make me the wingman? Hrn.

Mona accompanied Viktor, enjoying the walk and the unseasonably warm weather. If she didn't know better, she'd think someone was manipulating the weather. Perhaps the wedding was just that perfect. In any case the arrangements really accented the wedding nicely.

I'd like a wedding like this...if...

Her daydreaming was interrupted by Dr. Quill and she nearly collided with him. "Oh, excuse me," she replied reflexively, letting the two chat in German, although seemingly following the conversation.

Not wanting to interrupt, she waved at the people she knew. In particular Lynn received a motion to join them. Lynn hadn't been her usual perky self, and yes, while everyone was entitled to a bad day, that didn't stop her from caring after all. Maybe they just need a little chat, or perhaps even better a girls' night out.

Actually that sounded rather good...

Carson stood with the other musicians, clapping and cheering at the announcement. He barely restrains from trumpeting his joy for them across the city. Wouldn't be polite.

Nonetheless, he cheers as loudly as anyone else, waiting until the bride and groom have walked out before stepping down from the stage. He shakes hands with the other musicians, as well as the minister, before walking into the attending crowd. He slowly mingles through, not really joining any person just yet. He actually didn't know that many of these people. At least, not with masks off.

The reception was not far from the church, which made it an easy trip even for those who did not bring cars. Set on the second floor of a womens' club, the two-story ballroom was as flower-bedecked and elegant as the church had been, but with more room to move around. Tables full of snacks and punch had already been set up, and a DJ was playing fun pre-event music next to the dance floor. Seats were assigned at the many round white tables, and the Freedom City contingent found themselves occupying two tables near the front, with a good view of the head table.

It wasn't long before the guests had all arrived, and the wedding party itself was next! The DJ introduced the whole party one at a time by name as they entered, and Mark was certain that the younger bridesmaid winked at him as she passed by his table on the way to the head table. Derrick and Stesha were last, of course, and greeted by cheers and applause. Derrick didn't look like he'd stopped blushing since the end of the ceremony, but they both seemed to be having a very good time. There was a buffet dinner set up and a limited bar, and all the makings of an excellent party.

After trying to get a cup of Earl Grey from the reception staff for five minutes, Quentin gave up and (without any real displeasure) took a glass of red wine instead, noting its quite respectable body and blend.

He hadn't really caught up with Stesha and Derrick properly, so he quickly sauntered over to the couple who were basking in the joy of the day.

"Congratulations to the happy couple - the dashing bride and blushing groom!" he winked "Spiffing wedding, only to be outdone by the reception and, I am sure, the honeymoon. Wherever that may be. Oh, and for you..." he made a show of reaching into his jacket and pulled out an elegant crystal rose made of quantum material that sparkled gently in the lights. "...just don't look at it too hard, or subject it to Hiesenbergian fractal analysis..." he smiled.

"Hey, did you see that? She winked at me." Mark studied the younger bridesmaid from his spot by Trevor as the wedding party took their seats, an interested look on his face. "She's cute. Don't you think she's cute? She looks a lot like Stesha, too." He hmmed, adjusting his tux and making sure he looked presentable. "That's her sister, Chloe. Hmm." He looked at Trevor and added, "Hey, if you see us hanging out together later, don't mention anything about Claremont. I think she's in college and she might, you know, think that was weird."

Thankfully Lynn was seated next to Mona at the reception, so she had a teammate to talk to; she found herself missing Colt more than ever now. Leaning over to whisper in the gentle giantess' ear, she indicated Dok sitting up at the bridal party table, beaming at his newlywed friends.

"I hope to see the two of you up there some day."

And me, she thought to herself. And in a few short months, it would be.

I am so gonna freak out that day.

"Why would she think that?" asked in his immaculate deadpan, resisting the urge to shake his head in wry exasperation. This part of the affair he was more familiar with; a reception didn't seem to be too different from any other formal dining event. Oh course, one's date tended to be carefully chosen and prearranged at the galas and dinners he'd attended, which left him to learn the ways of the wingman on the fly, so to speak. "Hrn. Wise not to mention our... extracurriculars, either. Makes talking you up more difficult." Furrowing his brow behind his sunglasses, the dark haired young man seemed to be giving the matter meticulous thought.

Carson raised an eyebrow and chuckled at the antics of Mark and Trevor. He remembered the shenanigans he got up to in high school, though he hadn't had super-powers at the time, so perhaps it was a bit different. He chuckled and leaned forward a bit, making sure to keep the volume down enough that only the two Claremont students ought to hear him.

"So. You two go to Claremont. I'm guessing your "extracurricular activities" you're so worried about that young lady discovering are more than a few games of poker with the fellas on Friday."

He waves his hand if they show any signs of worry.

"Don't worry. I won't mention anything to the young lady you're planning to, oh, what's the term these days? I believe the term is "mack on". I would advise a bit of subtly if Stesha's nearby. Then again, she might not mind. She's a bit of a romantic, when all is said and done. And Chloe is a lovely young lady, all told. Have you boys ever met any of the rest of their families? I only know bride and groom myself."

He does seem a bit lost at the proceedings, apparently not being well-acquainted with anyone beyond the happy couple. He did take the time to catch the young bridesmaid's eye, raise his glass in a small salute, and give her a wink. He then turns back to his fellow attendees.

"Honestly feeling a bit out of my depth here; I only met you two and some of the others out front. Odd how some circles never cross paths until times like this."

Mona laughed quietly to Lynn's comment. Smiling to Viktor, she whispered back, "I've wondered about that myself. Have to figure out if I'm the marrying type yet." She drifted off into her own thoughts.

"Is that what is on your mind, Lynn? Your wedding?" she replied after some consideration, concerning edging her face. A gentle tease to her tone, she added, "Not getting cold feet are we? Colt is a too sweet a man to 'leave at the altar', so to speak."

Now all this, being said and done, came between bites of finger foods and happy murmurs at the delicious spread. Idly she wondered if the bar had scotch.

"Congratulations to the happy couple - the dashing bride and blushing groom!" he winked "Spiffing wedding, only to be outdone by the reception and, I am sure, the honeymoon. Wherever that may be. Oh, and for you..." he made a show of reaching into his jacket and pulled out an elegant crystal rose made of quantum material that sparkled gently in the lights. "...just don't look at it too hard, or subject it to Hiesenbergian fractal analysis..." he smiled.

Stesha got up from her seat and gave Quentin a hug, accepting the crystal flower graciously. "I'm so glad you could come," she told him with a smile. "It's so special to have all our friends here with us today! This is just the very best day of my whole life... so far," she added with a laugh. "You'll have to make sure to stay for the dancing, and the cake. My mom knows a baker who makes the most amazing chocolate filled layer cakes, and we have four tiers! It should be amazing."

On the other end of the head table, the object of Mark's affections and Carson's attentions was currently chatting with the other bridesmaids. At the moment, they all seemed to be looking at photos of Jack Jr, unaware of any attentions from the main floor.

"Is that what is on your mind, Lynn? Your wedding?" she replied after some consideration, concerning edging her face. A gentle tease to her tone, she added, "Not getting cold feet are we? Colt is a too sweet a man to 'leave at the altar', so to speak."

Lynn shook her head. "Oh, no way! I'm looking forward to it!" However her brow did furrow for a second. "Though I'm not gonna lie, I do worry about it sometimes." She held out her hand, just below the edge of the table, and a little Colt and little Grim appeared, side by side like they were on top of a wedding cake. She gently ran a finger around the brim of the miniature cowboy hat.

"I mean, I keep on evolving or whatever you call it, becoming less and less human; what if someday....I dunno." She closed her hands over the pair, and thin streams of vapor leaked out between her fingers. "In the stories, the faeries never die, and things don't always turn out so well for the mortals they bewitch..." She opened her hands, and both the figures were gone.

Mona smiled to Stesha before turning her attention to Lynn's conjuration. The fae's powers never ceased to amuse and amaze her. This new ability was no exception, even if the message was more melancholy. After the vapor dissipated, she engulfed Lynn's small hand in her own and squeezed it gently.

"I had no idea," she replied quietly. "I never thought about your abilities like that. That leaves you with the question of whether the old tales really apply to you, huh?"

Staring at her fork, she reflected a moment before continuing, "If it's any consolation, I'm going through many of the same doubts myself. My powers are changing too, and...I'm not aging either. Or aging right."

Smiling, squeezed her hand again. "Look at this way. Even if you two only have a few years or months together, they'll be some, or not the, best times of your life. And when its over, for better or worse, the memories will remain. If for worse, well, Colt can take care more than take care of himself."

"Hmm." Mark wasn't sure why Carson was opening up to them like this, but he wasn't rude enough to comment on that. "There are a lot of really cute girls around here," he said. "You're an excellent singer," he commented, shooting Trevor a look that gave him an out if he wanted it. "You really brought some life into that old church music. Have you ever thought of doing recording on your own? I have a family friend who works for Decca, and he could probably hook you up with a recording session."

"You should see me perform The Tempest."

Carson smirked as he took a sip of his drink.

"I'll keep your suggestion in mind, but I don't know if I want to get into the cutthroat world of the recording industry. Didn't you ever see Be Cool? I'll stick to teaching college students drama, with a bit of mentoring troubled kids in the mix."

He eyed both of the boys, raising an inquisitive eyebrow.

"You guys have any solid post-graduation plans? Or are you going to "wing it" for a bit?"

Trevor shared Mark's bemusement at the musician's sudden attempt at conversation, but was less subtle about hiding his suddenly stonily impassive expression, his beaten black fedora seeming to tilt a little further down over his sunglasses largely of it's own accord. "We're not troubled," he responded in a quiet, toneless voice, crossing his arms. The young man appreciated the offered out, but he wasn't about to leave Mark high and dry. Fortunately, if his gregarious friend was a master of conversation, the heir to the Hunter estate was a master of avoiding conversation.

Carson quirked an eyebrow at the lad.

"Nice trick with the hat. And I never said you were troubled. How'd you get that idea? I was simply describing what I do for a profession."

He had a slightly confused look on his face.

"My question about your plans didn't imply I thought you needed mentored. I was simply curious. Making conversation. Being polite. Sociable. Something amiss with that?"

There was honest curiosity in his voice at that question.

"Yeah, we're great!" said Mark ebulliently. "When I graduate, I've got a job interning with a UNISON office in Africa; probably the one in Tanzania or Ethiopia, depending on exactly where they put me. I'd hoped to get a job working in the superhero industry, you know, at the Hero Museum or something," he said, using the lie he told about his future plans whenever anyone who didn't know his ID asked, "but I really feel good about this. I'll be able to use my abilities to help people who really need it, and I'll be able to do it under my own name and with my own face. It's all about getting out there and making your own destiny, you know? Oh man..." Across the room, Chloe had just yawned. ShiRAM! "Now Trevor here, he's going to inherit his family business. That's why we're such good buddies, because this guy is loaded!" He winked. "You know, his grandpa gets a dime every time you chew Bazooka Bubble Gum." He thought for a minute, then frowned. "Or wait, is that actually true? I forget. Anyway, I totally do know a guy at Decca. My dad used to know people who worked with Elvis."