Somewhere That's Green (IC)

Electra

January 2, Evanston, Illinois

12:30pm

The day had finally arrived. For awhile, things had looked iffy, with the original date pushed back and the groom absent for months, but now all was well, and it was time to get married! Guests had been arriving at the Lake Street Church all morning, not just by car, but by teleportation, plant portal, flight, or however they chose to quietly make their way to the beautiful white building with its tall spire. Even though the wedding was set for early afternoon, the church's doors were open in case of early arrivals. Though this was a strictly civilian event, it was obvious that the bride had not bothered to hide her particular light under a bushel. The sanctuary was a wonderland of flowers of all kinds, heavy on pink roses and white lilies, with arrangements that seemed to have built themselves adorning every pew, and flowering vines creeping up every pole and pillar, even hanging off the banisters. It smelled like a fairyland, though fans had been turned on to keep down the pollen.

For the moment, not many of the civilian guests were present yet. With a 2pm start time, they'd probably be arriving shortly, but for the moment, there was a quiet space in which visitors from Freedom City could meet and mingle. Stesha and Derrick had been on hand earlier to help transport those who needed it, but by now both of them had retired to prepare for the biggest day of their lives. It looked like it was going to be a big wedding. Stesha said she was expecting two hundred fifty guests, so one benefit of early arrival would be the chance to get good seats!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The little GPS - purchased just for such an occasion - was awfully confused. Were the little computer smart enough to interpret its data in any meaningful way, it would be even more confused - according to its location and the way its user was travelling, it was in a car being driven at a very high speed in a straight line right across the countryside and straight through city blocks - or rather, straight UNDER blocks, because the infrequent loss of signal could only be explained by being too far underground. Where there were no tunnels. Were it in any way intelligent the poor machine would be nursing a headache and wishing for swift deactivation.

Intelligent or not, it at least got the second of these things as Tarrant slowed to a halt under a patch of dirt not far from the church. Turning the GPS off and tucking it into a pocket of his coat, he waited until he could feel no movement overhead and came up into the light, blinking as his eyes adjusted and the ground closed up seamlessly under his feet. Normally his goggles would have saved his eyes the discomfort, but there were no goggles today - today was a day for a nice suit, vest, and an overcoat. Even the dirt that was (on any other day) more than happy to cling to him seemed to agree - unbidden, it either fell away to the ground or collected in the nearest coat pocket as a small piece of stone.

He tapped some last bits of clinging mud off his sneakers (no event short of a funeral was too formal for sneakers - they were, however, new, nice, and now perfectly clean) and set off for the last block or so to the church, humming to himself and enjoying the winter air.

From behind Tarrant came a voice. "Hi!" said the owner of it, a dashing young man in a well-fitting black suit and tie, a smile on his face as he leaned close to him and whispered, "Are you going to the wedding?" When he was, he said, "Are you a friend of the family from Freedom City?" Mark waggled his eyebrows suggestively at that, belatedly realizing he might have been sending another message. "I'm, uh, a student of theirs. From there. Mark Lucas," he said, offering his hand. Waiting for both young men at the church was an unlikely pair.

"And then, Adam said to Eve, there seems to be a leaf missing..." Sitting on the church steps, a handsome fellow in a black suit and tie was reading a picture book to a half-dozing baby he had cradled in his arms. The infant, past six months if Gaian Knight was any judge, was much more focused on the semi-opaque bottle of what was obviously juice or some new formula by its color. Looking up, Jack waved to the new arrival. Parenting when his wife was busy with wedding preparations wasn't easy, especially outside a church, but it was the least he could do. He wondered if her threat had been meaningful, and if he was actually going to wind up with custody of all the kids below a certain age.

A Nissan Maxima pulled up in front of the church, and young Lynn Esptein stepped out, sharply dressed in a black jacket and dressy slacks. The driver, a big man in his late forties, rolled down the window and called out to her.

"Are you sure you're warm enough, Sher?"

"I'm fine, Uncle Joe, thanks! I'll call you when it's all over!"

"Okay, well, stay warm!"

"I will, no worries!" She waved as the car pulled off. "Love you!"

"Love you, too, Sher!" As the Maxima departed, Lynn quickly stepped over towards the main entrance, noting two familiar faces she hadn't expected to see here, even though at least one of them shouldn't have been a shock. The third young man she didn't recognize.

"Hi guys! Wow, quite the FC contingent we've got going here!" Then she caught a glimpse of Jack Jr and her eyes went big and soft. "Oh my god, he's so huge! In a good way, I mean!"

At the front of the sanctuary, well to one side of the pulpit, was the area for the small number of musicians who had been arranged for the day. Piano, organist, a string quartet, a vocalist, and one man playing an oboe. That man had re-arranged his space a bit, putting aside the music stand, so that when he was playing, he could concentrate on following along by ear. His chair was separated a bit; perhaps he was doing a special number, or maybe he just liked to move when he played.

Carson Finbar Keefe blew one last test note through his classical oboe before setting it carefully on his chair and walking toward the open entrance of the church. His suit was mostly subdued, with a black jacket, black pants, and a dark gray shirt. The one standout piece was a bright white tie with delicate Celtic patterns (crosses, knots, and the like) scattered over it in gold. Clearly, he was trying to ensure he didn't draw attention away from the bride on such an auspicious occasion. He slowed as he reached the door, his eyes taking in some of the recent arrivals, or the individuals who had been there for a bit already.

He smiled slightly at the father doting over his infant son, and the young woman gushing over the presence of a baby (as they seemed wont to do). Poor guy was just sitting out here. His wife was probably helping Stesha get ready. Carson walked down to stand about even with where Jack and his son were resting on the steps. A smile graced his face as he gazed upon the young boy, not knowing the power buried in his tiny form.

"He does look like a fine boy. Let me guess, he's growing like a weed?"

He started to offer his hand, then stopped with a chuckle as he realized Jack's hands were busy.

"Name's Carson. I'm doing the music today; I know we have nursery space inside, but I hope the little guy will get a chance to enjoy at least some of it. Glad to see so many people already here."

He turned and offered Lynn his hand as well.

"Nice to meet you as well, ma'am."

Tarrant just chuckled, shaking the hand and grinning. "Yes, something like that - a friend of the bride's, from Freedom City. I'm Tarrant; it's a pleasure to meet you."

He glanced around at the sudden gathering, and chuckled, giving Lynn a half-bow almost out of reflex. "All of you! I guess that makes us the early crowd, hm?" One kinda has to wonder how many are just friends of the family, and how many are...well, I suppose herodom doesn't really stop one from making friends, does it? His grin got a little wider at the thought. Still. It makes me very curious....

A pinprick of gray-blue light appeared at the bottom of the steps. Anyone nearby -- such as Jack and Jack Jr. (well, maybe not Jack) -- would feel the tiniest twinge of vertigo as fluctuating gravitic fields played hob with their inner ear. The pinpoint expanded to a disk, and the disk to a ring, out of which stepped one of Freedom City's more high-profile couples, Doktor Viktor Archeville and Mona "Fulcrum" Teymourian.

Oh, this is so exciting!

Archeville was in a black tux (a Wolfgang Joop original), with his Gravimetric Belt (glowing a lovely shade of blue) serving as a cummerbund, and a silver tie, all in fitting with the "winter color scheme" Stesha told him of after Derrick had asked him to be one of his Best Men. His hair, as always, flowed freely, but was a tad disheveled.

"Ah, that was a tad bumpier than I had calculated," he observed, and checked over Mona's jewelry. "Maybe a hiccup in the power dampers? They appear to be functioning properly.... Ah, well." He looked up at her, grinning broadly, and smoothed back the few errant hairs, "we made it here in one piece, and that is the important thing, yes?" He 'hopped' up two feet to give her a peck on the cheek.

Is a gathering like this in the future for us? I do not know... but I would like to find out!

He turned and saw the gathering attendees, and was pleased to see faces both known and unknown (well, never-before-met, as there were few faces he did not know due to his constant monitoring of metahuman-centric news). The first to catch his eye, though, was the one he'd seen the least of lately, and was quite frankly one he was surprised to see here. "Jack! So nice to see you again! And Little Jack! My, he has grown!"

Jack Jr. gave the new arrivals a glare from beneath diaphanous baby brows, as if suspicious that all these tall people were plotting to rob him of his supper. Carefully balanced with the baby in his lap, he opted not to get up, instead waving or shaking hands as needed from his position. He got Jack Jr. to wave, but it was more that he'd pulled the baby's hand up to wave briefly. His son had his own interests! "I'm mostly here as support personnel," said the vampire with a relaxed look on his face. "Taylor's actually _in_ the wedding, and there's no way this guy is going to sit still and quiet that whole time." Especially in a church. "Assuming I can get in, I'll probably spend half the time in the nursery," he told Carson elliptically. "Somebody's got to watch the kids. Hey Lynn, Victor!" he said sociably. "Can you say hi, Jack-Jack?"

-

Mark was friendly to everyone, as was his wont, shaking hands and pressing the flesh just like his father had taught him. "Hi all Mark Lucas! I'm a student of bride and groom both. Huh, looks like I'm the whole Claremont contingent so far! We should see some more," he added, "Mr. Lumins is really popular, and everyone likes Ms. Madison." He adjusted the little white flower in his lapel delicately. "Man, it's warm for what I was expecting from Chicago in January!"

"Nice to meet you as well, ma'am."

The pretty brunette shook the young man's hand enthusiastically; her grip was surprisingly strong for a woman so small.

"Nice to meet you, Carson, I'm Lynn Epstein; so, are you from the Chicago area or a fellow Freedonian?"

When Dok arrived, Lynn felt a slight twinge of guilt; as a former member of the Knights, Grim had gotten an invite, but a quick call to the bride-to-be had revealed that the affair was strictly no weapons. This had led to a rather awkward discussion with Colt, who normally would have been her plus one, and after a short talk it was decided she would fly solo on this one, and use the opportunity to spend some time with her Uncle Joe's family in Chicago.

But seeing Dok here with Mona, a fellow Interceptor, as his date made her feel bad about leaving her beloved cowboy at home.

Forget it, Lynn; it's not like you're joined at the hip. A healthy couple shouldn't have to do every single thing together.

But it was Derrick and Stesha's day, and Lynn swore to herself she wouldn't be all pouty and miserable for the bride and groom. She grinned and gave the German genius a warm hug.

"Hey guys; wow, you both look fantastic!"

"Somebody's got to watch the kids. Hey Lynn, Victor!" he said sociably. "Can you say hi, Jack-Jack?"

The shapeshifter carefully approached Jack-Jack in a low crouch, keeping her movements slow and within his eyeline; one shouldn't take a chance with little vamp babies.

"Hey there, little man! Check this out; nothing up my sleeves...presto!" With a theatrical flourish, she produced a teething toy in the shape of a bunny rabbit. "Ta-daa! Here, let's just give that to Daddy." She handed Jack the conjured gift, since she didn't want a stranger to get a gander at the little guy's impressive chompers.

"Hi all Mark Lucas! I'm a student of bride and groom both. Huh, looks like I'm the whole Claremont contingent so far! We should see some more," he added, "Mr. Lumins is really popular, and everyone likes Ms. Madison." He adjusted the little white flower in his lapel delicately. "Man, it's warm for what I was expecting from Chicago in January!"

It took Lynn a few moments to realize that while she knew Mark's heroic identity from her infiltration work at Claremont, and Grim knew Edge from a few adventures in the field, her civilian self and young Mister Lucas had never formally met. She hadn't realized that both Derrick and Stesha were teaching at the school for the especially gifted, which was kinda cool. She offered a firm friendly handshake to the affable reality warper.

"Hi Mark, I'm Lynn; nice to see some students still like their teachers."

Mona gave Viktor a smile, replacing one wild strand of his hair. "Yes, that is the important thing, sweetie. Although I have been meaning to mention that the dampers are feeling a little...off. But that can wait," she said, looking over familiar and new faces.

The mismatched lovebirds had coordinated their outfits. Nothing overwhelming, given the scale of one wearer. Didn't want to overshadow the bride! Mona wore a subdued blue dress, matching hue no less, with a strand of pearls and silver jewelry. Thankfully Viktor could temporarily plate the devices to match the wedding theme. Tweaking her French braid, she returned the peck and took his arm.

"Hi, Jack. He is really getting big," she said with an honest smile, before giving Lynn a hug. "You're looking lovely yourself, Lynn! Where did you find that outfit?"

As for Mark, her received a firm handshake, "A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Lucas. I'm glad Claremont has some representation. You're right, the weather is wonderful."

Carson shook Lynn's hand with a smile.

"Nice to meet you, Lynn. I'm from Freedom City."

He turned for a moment to Jack senior, giving him a nod of understanding.

"I'm sure Stesha will understand; just you being here is the important part, right?"

As Doktor Viktor Archeville and Mona "Fulcrum" Teymourian appeared, Carson's eyebrows nearly met his hairline.

'Wow. Nice toys.'

He gave the two a polite nod, but gave the group who seemed to know each other some space.

For Mark, he had a smile and a firm handshake.

"Nice to meet you, Mark. Don't know if you caught my name; it's Carson. I know Stesha pretty well; our paths have crossed through work. Don't know Derrick quite as well, but he's good people. Glad to hear they've got appreciative students; that's something hard to find these days."

He gives the young man a knowing wink, showing he's exaggerating a bit.

Carson's mingling is interspersed with occasional checks of his watch, as he keeps an eye on the time, with a mental clock slowly counting down...

"Nice to meet you, Carson," said Mark cheerfully, making the rounds just like you were supposed to at these things. "Stesha doesn't talk much about the other line of work she has," he said, making an elliptical reference to secret identities, "but she talks about the people she works with from time to time. Mostly they're there to talk about me," he admitted warmly, "since I'm the one supposed to be learning things. She's a great teacher, and a good friend." Mark was very impressed to meet the gigantic Mona and German Archeville, giving the latter a bit of a slant-eye thanks to the stories he'd heard about the man's Golden Age grandfather. All German mad scientists aren't evil, he thought, trying to convince himself of what he didn't really believe. Well, maybe he's not really German. Or not German _like that_. Bavaria's more like the Mississippi of Germany anyway. "Hello!" he said, giving them both a good handshake.

Across the way, Jack Jr. did break into a smile at Lynn's display, the sunny day making the baby's fangs almost invisible. Jack smiled too, no sharp teeth at all as he took the bunny ring and slipped it into his pocket. "Thanks! We'll probably need that later," he said with a half-smile. "Especially if more kids come. Stesha's got a big family, I hear, and if this guy's around them...well, it'll be good for daddy to be there." The baby relaxed a little at the sight of familiar faces, and gave another crinkly smile around his half-empty bottle towards Doctor Archeville. He knew that guy!

Tarrant chuckled, nodding at Doctor Archeville and giving his companion a short bow. "A pleasure to meet you both - Archeville, I think?" For some reason, I thought he'd be taller. Maybe it's the contrast.... "You two certainly know how to make an entrance; and here I had to get dirty taking the...ah. Express train." He chuckled. "I don't suppose you sell those teleporter widgets on a teacher's salary? They seem like they'd be pretty nice for cutting down the commute."

He stood with his hands in his pockets, gazing up at the church as the group chatted. You're a fantastic piece of work, he thought, though it couldn't hear him. You've gotta be...goodness. Over a hundred years old? The stonework feels at least that - 125 if you're a day. Beautiful. They couldn't have possibly picked a better spot for a wedding, could they?

"You're looking lovely yourself, Lynn! Where did you find that outfit?"

"Oh this?" She peered down at herself and brushed invisible dust off her jacket. "Well, US Weekly, I'm embarrased to say; saw some itty-bitty girl wearing it on the red carpet, figured I could pull it off, too." She ran fingers through her spiky hair and shrugged. "You know me, the little fashionista..." The shapeshifter lifted her head and eagerly sniffed the air. "Ooh, smells like Stesha went all out on the floral arrangements; I hope they look as pretty as they smell! She really is an artist with those plants."

The sound of a motorcycle engine growing closer then turning off announced the arrival of another guest a little ways down the road. While this particular vehicle could have been whisper silent, its rider had decided that would be conspicuous enough to defeat the purpose of bright blue and chrome paint job currently disguising its surfaces. Dismounting, a young man in a subdued but obviously well tailored suit sauntered over to the church, hands in his pockets. A beaten black fedora sat low over tinted sunglasses, obscuring a considerable amount of his lean face as he inclined his chin briefly at Mark then Faretti and the baby. Giving the rest of the crowd waiting outside a glance, Trevor Hunter raised an eyebrow just over one oval lens. "Not allowed in?" he asked in a soft baritone.

"Yes, you can all go in!" called Jack, prompted by Trevor's quite reasonable question. "I appreciate the attention and all, but I'm just feeding this guy, since he and I aren't bothered by the weather. I'm not sure I'm really welcome in Stesha's church when she's around," he added with a faint, self-deprecating smile that covered his worries about bursting into flames, Taylor's assurances or not. "We'll be fine. It's pretty nice in there, go on in!" Mark took Faretti up on his suggestion, and led the way into the well-appointed building. "C'mon, Trevor, lets go stake out some Claremont seats!"

Taylor opened the doors of the church to stick her head out, obviously looking for her husband and son but she smiled bright enough to flash her dimples at the assembled guests. Her hair was still down which meant she'd decided to check on her family and any possible.... antics before she sat down to get her hair twisted up. The silvery skirts swished around her legs as she stepped out. Petite, her voice was surprisingly husky as she added her welcome to Jack's. "Yes, please come inside if you'd like. Hello, everyone. I thought I'd see how our contingent was doing."

She stepped out to smile and offer greetings to those she know, and still polite but less warm ones to the ones she didn't. The glittering Eye at her throat didn't exactly go with the dress but sometimes, exceptions had to be made.

Taylor leaned into tickle her son and press a quick kiss to Jack's cheek in the process as she murmured almost without moving her lips, "Are you really going to sit out here the *entire* time?" Before she straightened slightly. "I should get back into Stesha and help with all the last minute things in just a second or two."

Tarrant hmmed, giving Taylor a polite half-bow as she appeared from inside the building and taking the opportunity to take a look at the inside through the open doors, admiring both the construction and the absolutely beautiful decorating job. "Now that...." he observed with a smile, looking around with senses both visual and...not, "....this is how you decorate a building this elegant. Formal wear worthy of the structure and the occasion, ma'am."

Whether that 'ma'am' was directed at the building or the decorator was anyone's guess.

Archeville returned Lynn's hug, smiling, "what, this little thing? Oh, it is just something whipped up by a thankful Deutschlander. You would be surprised how often fashion shows are interrupted by robbers or would-be kidnappers!"

This suit feels so nice! Ah, but where is Billy? I would think- ohhh. No weapons policy + his love of guns = no Billy. Well, Mona and I will just have to make sure she stays cheered up!

"And look at you! For something glamoured up form one still magazine photo, that is remarkable craftsmanship! He had given all the Interceptors who had been invited the card for a noted tailor in the city -- Archeville knew a lot of people -- but he never found out if any of them actually took up the offer.

He nodded and waved to Carson. He had no idea who he was, and made a mental note to rectify that oversight at some point during the reception.

A superhero in 'civilian' clothing? Or maybe just a good friend? I am sure I can discern some topic of mutual interest to use to break the ice!

He nodded against at Jack -- he still wasn't sure how the vampire felt about him after the unfortunate incident at his house four months ago -- but knelt slightly and waved and made faces at Jack. Jr.

He looks healthy! And happy! That is good!

He smiled at Mark while shaking his hand, "Hello, Mister Lucas! Are you here as a friend of the bride, or groom? Or both?" Archeville did not know that he had, in fact, met the young man before, during one of Young Freedom's transdimensional adventures!

Such a pleasantly eager young man! And yet I cannot shake the feeling we have met before... ah, well: this is Derrick and Stesha's day, so the focus is to be on them!

He chuckled back at Tarrant's words, and patted him on the shoulder. "Not yet, sorry. In most cases, the hardest part of developing new technology is not in coming up with viable theories or constructing the prototype, it is making a product that is affordable, and easy and intuitive to use, by the general public! Ah, Doktor Viktor Archeville," he offered his hand to shake, "and you are?"

Another superhero? Or maybe just a good friend? He seems quite taken by the architecture! Perhaps I can use that as an icebreaker!

He nodded to Trevor; the teen looked familiar, but he couldn't place him.

Nice hat!

Taylor's words reminded him he was not just a guest here, "ah! I suppose I should be helping Derrick with any last-minute tasks, too!" He gave Mona another peck on the cheek, then dashed inside.

Good thing I crammed on all those wedding customs last night!

He chuckled back at Tarrant's words, and patted him on the shoulder. "Not yet, sorry. In most cases, the hardest part of developing new technology is not in coming up with viable theories or constructing the prototype, it is making a product that is affordable, and easy and intuitive to use, by the general public! Ah, Doktor Viktor Archeville," he offered his hand to shake, "and you are?"

Tarrant chuckled, shaking the offered hand. "Tarrant McLeod, professor, and friend of the bride. It's a pleasure to meet you, sir. A shame about those technologies...I look forward to the day when it saves me a drive!"

He took the opportunity - as Archeville dashed into the building - to make a more leisurely entrance himself, politely introducing himself to people he passed as he spent some time poking around the flora and architecture. There aren't enough old structures like you left in the world, you know, old girl. Too many buildings of steel and glass...which are fine, of course, and awfully sturdy and new-age...but there's just something about the old-school stone buildings. It's not quite the same, is it?

Trevor returned the Doktor's courteous nod in kind as the guests moved inside, wondering for a moment whether it had been altogether wise to wear his inherited hat to an event so heavily attended by this particular demographic. The gregarious scientist either didn't make the connection to their brief collaboration over the Havok incident or was polite enough not to let on. The dark haired young man paused at the side of the doorway to turn to the Farettis. "Anything could be doing to help?" the soft spoken student inquired. He'd gotten the impression that his teacher's ceremony had been a bit rushed, and was no stranger to the organizational hurdles of formal affairs.

"We'll be fine. It's pretty nice in there, go on in!"

Lynn smiled sympathetically and nodded “Well okay, but I might check up on you guys later, since cold doesn’t bother me much, either.â€

"Yes, please come inside if you'd like. Hello, everyone. I thought I'd see how our contingent was doing."

The tiny shapeshifter beamed at the equally tiny mystic and waved. “Hi, Taylor! Oh man, you look great! Can’t wait to see you with your hair up!†Her sensitive ears caught the murmured question to Jack, but she politely said nothing.

"And look at you! For something glamoured up form one still magazine photo, that is remarkable craftsmanship!

“Yes…thanks…†At the mention of the ‘G-word’, Lynn’s cheeks went a little pink, but she resisted the urge to comment; it’s not like he out-and-out called her a faerie in front of complete strangers, so hopefully no one picked up on it.

"Hello again, Mister Lucas! Has Young Freedom had any more transdimensional adventures since I helped you, back last August?"

Wow, he really doesn’t remember not everyone is a public super sometimes; at least Mark doesn’t seemed too fazed, but that might actually be a physical impossibility. Guess Mister Fedora is a fellow ‘classmate’; interesting.

Following the rest of the group into the sanctuary, the Jewish girl couldn’t help but be impressed; she’d seem some fairly nice synagogues in her day, but leave it to the goyim to go all out with the fancy-schmancy architecture. Her gaze lifted up, tracing the line of columns skywards

“Huh. That roof just keeeeeps on going, don’t it?â€

Softly humming ‘God Help the Outcasts’to herself, she wandered about the place with her hands in her jacket pockets, happily smelling all the amazing flowers.

Trevor returned the Doktor's courteous nod in kind as the guests moved inside, wondering for a moment whether it had been altogether wise to wear his inherited hat to an event so heavily attended by this particular demographic. The gregarious scientist either didn't make the connection to their brief collaboration over the Havok incident or was polite enough not to let on. The dark haired young man paused at the side of the doorway to turn to the Farettis. "Anything could be doing to help?" the soft spoken student inquired. He'd gotten the impression that his teacher's ceremony had been a bit rushed, and was no stranger to the organizational hurdles of formal affairs.
Carson had a thoughtful look for a moment, then gave a nod.

"Have you worked with soundboards much? I want to run a quick couple of tests while we have a chance. We've got about an hour."

He looked at everyone else with a smile.

"Feel free to stay out here, come in, and so forth. If you need help finding a restroom or something, just ask one of the ushers or other workers."

With that, Carson heads back inside, making his way towards the musician section, nodding to one of the members of the string quartet who was currently tuning their instrument.

Outside, Jack asked his wife "Are you sure I'm welcome inside?" He gave her a wry smile, his skin very cold: it might be warm for Chicago in January, but that didn't mean it was that warm at all. "If you think I can come in, I will, I did say something about watching in the nursery. If not, JJ and I will be over in that Panera Bread." Jack wasn't happy about missing all the festivities, but between the holy ground and his personal relationship with Stesha, he certainly wasn't angry about it. The tension between them was not her fault, at least, not entirely. 50/50, anyway. Jack Jr. spit out his empty bottle and gave his mom a toothy grin, looking up at her with sparkling eyes.

-

"Oh man, this church is totally sweet," said Mark, heading joyously into the building, much as he did everything. He gave his usual speech about being a student of Dark Star's and Fleur's, for once showing discretion and not shouting "And so's Trevor! Go Claremont!" He knew his friend liked to keep things discreet like that, and he wasn't one to trifle with what Trevor thought was really important. "I bet all kinds of crazy super-stuff happens here! Did you know Chicago once had a fight between an archangel and an archdevil? It was back in 2005, a big battle fought here and in Texas. It was cool."

The assorted heroes went into the church and found seats, and soon other people began to arrive for the wedding as well. The string quartet began to play as guests entered in groups small and large, seating themselves all over the church. There didn't seem to be any assigned seating, except for a couple rows at the front for family, which was just as well, since many of the Freedom City contingent were friends with both the bride and groom. Soon there were well over a hundred guests in attendance, ranging from the very elderly to babies in arms, and more still coming.

Backstage, Taylor and Docktor Archeville were kept busy with dressing and last minute preparations on opposite sides of the church. Derrick was obviously extremely nervous, pacing and sweating lightly, looking as though he might choose to drop his civilian form at any moment and go rocketing out a window. Stesha's brothers were doing their best to calm him down, with one even producing a flask for the occasion, but it seemed likely that the only cure for nerves would be the exchange of vows. On the other side of the church, Stesha was glowing with excitement despite practically needing to be vacuum-sealed into her dress, while the dressmaker fitted a last-minute layer of tulle and flowers around her middle to disguise how tightly her tummy was pressing against the satin.

At two o'clock on the dot, the string quartet wrapped up their music and turned the stage over to the oboe player, and people began hurrying to take their seats. The wedding would begin very soon now!