Somewhere That's Green (IC)

Electra

Nodding, Tarrant was perfectly happy to let the conversation move at its own patient pace - it was certainly an event to savor. He spared a glance over to Dr. Archeville and Mona as he pulled her into a hug, and briefly raised an eyebrow (They're certainly happy about something. The influence of the spirit of the day, maybe?) before Lynn's question brought him back. "I do. God help me, but I do. Your mother's right, though...unless you're teaching classes for majors only or grad school, you end up with a lot of people who just...don't put the effort in, and obviously aren't interested." He shrugged, but smiled. "But those one or two, ah, 'diehard nerdy kids'? They make it all worthwhile. Even when you feel pretty down about how the class is going, sharing something you really enjoy with the few who really enjoy learning it is...well. It makes all the rest worth the headaches. Usually."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carson smiled and politely left his dance partner as the current song ended. His reasoning was quickly made clear, as he stepped up to the microphone near the DJ. With a broad smile on his face and a wink at the happy couple, he spoke.

"First, I just want to say what we're all thinking: Derrick, Stesha, congratulations, and a mountain of blessings for you both. Now, with that said, I'd like to give this next dance song a personal touch."

With a nod to the DJ, the music quickly started, and Carson began to sing.

"Wise men say only fools rush in

But I can't help falling in love with you

Shall I stay

Would it be a sin

If I can't help falling in love with you-"

He continued, smiling throughout the song, and repeating it a couple of times through, to give those on the dance floor plenty of time to enjoy this particular song.

• 4 weeks later...

Lynn shook her head. "Yeah, me, I don't think I could hack teaching; I'd get frustrated and way too pushy, or like go for the zany Bill Nye approach and burn the school down." She sighed and continued to enjoy the dance. "My hat goes off to you guys; if I ran this country, you'd be paid more than CEOs."

When Carson began to sing, the tiny student smiled and closed her eyes. "Ah, Elvis; I know it's kinda cliche, but it might be nice to play this at our wedding this June." She shrugged. "Assuming my fiance isn't repelled by the thought."