Brainiac Brunch 2010 [IC]

And unlike some other professors of your university, you seem to have been mistaken." He fixed the arrogant so-and-so with with eyes grayer than a frigate's hull. "This is supposed to be a friendly, cordial meeting of scientific minds, as organized by Herr Doktor Archeville there." He forced a humorless smile. "Shut up, sit down, and if you try to hand me a C.V, I'm going to hand it right back. And I won't put it in your hand."

Liebnix froze quite still, and became alternately pale and then red, and then pale as John's stare lanced his brain and the threat lanced other parts of his anatomy.

He croaked a "hmph" and immediately withdrew his C.V, sitting down as he did.

He seemed to sit down rather more slowly and carefully than really necessary.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...which came from none other than Liebniz...

"Never mind that rubbish indeed!" piped up Liebniz. "I am professor Liebniz, chair in particle physics at the same university. I have a prestigious academic background, and have excellent credentials. Unlike some other professors of my university, I wasn't booted out of Cambridge for spouting nonsense!" he sneered at Quentin.

He opened his briefcase and started handing out his elegantly produced C.V.

"My resume. If anyone wishes to discuss funding my research, or grants, or joint ventures, please let me know..."

Odin's Beard! Vivian complained to herself. Ten seconds in and I already don't like the guy...Still it's not really my place to-

He fixed the arrogant so-and-so with with eyes grayer than a frigate's hull. "This is supposed to be a friendly, cordial meeting of scientific minds, as organized by Herr Doktor Archeville there." He forced a humorless smile. "Shut up, sit down, and if you try to hand me a C.V, I'm going to hand it right back. And I won't put it in your hand."

-Damn! He sure knows how to make a point when he wants to. Vivian smiled at him. For her part, she quietly added, "Good talk." with a wink at John.

Miss A looked around and rose smoothly from her seat, a little smile playing around the corners of her mouth. "I'm Miss Americana," she told the room, her lovely voice projecting easily to the corners of the room, "and it's wonderful to get a chance to meet all of you. I specialize in computer engineering, with a special emphasis in medical prostheses, special accessibility, and applied technological solutions." The smile widened with self-deprecation. "In English, I'm doing most of my work in technological replacements for lost body parts, and in tools to allow those with special needs to accomplish everyday tasks more easily. I look forward to speaking with all of you more in the future." She sat down again and folded her hands serenely to listen to the rest of the guests.

Miss A looked around and rose smoothly from her seat, a little smile playing around the corners of her mouth. "I'm Miss Americana," she told the room, her lovely voice projecting easily to the corners of the room, "and it's wonderful to get a chance to meet all of you. I specialize in computer engineering, with a special emphasis in medical prostheses, special accessibility, and applied technological solutions." The smile widened with self-deprecation. "In English, I'm doing most of my work in technological replacements for lost body parts, and in tools to allow those with special needs to accomplish everyday tasks more easily. I look forward to speaking with all of you more in the future." She sat down again and folded her hands serenely to listen to the rest of the guests.

Hearing this one introduce herself, Dr. Volk and Victory each seem to perk to attention a bit more. While his arms are still crossed, Victory's hand lifts up ever so slightly from his opposite bicep and opens and closes a couple times. He and Dr. Volk look to each other for a moment, with serious looks on their faces, and share subtle nods. They'll have to make it a point to keep an eye on that one....

Being brought up by a pair of wealthy patrician parents and a serious of stern British nannies, Estelle was taught from an early age how to be civil in all situations and circumstances, so naturally she took a secret delight in admiring those who spoke their minds and didn't suffer fools lightly. She had a friend in high school named Alexis who was particularly gifted in this area, and could drop an idiot at ten paces with a single well-chosen barb.

So when John Fraser delivered his academic smackdown on the repugnant Liebniz, whom she knew slightly from previous unpleasant encounters, she nearly burst out laughing right then and there. Thankfully a golden band snapped across her mouth mere seconds before any guffaws shook the room; her mother always said Estelle laughed like a tickled mule, but most of the time she kept it under control unless something took her quite by surprise or she was among close friends.

The tendril finally released its tight grip on her bright pink face as she wiped tears from her eyes with a napkin. Turning her head slightly in John's direction, she murmured "Well-played, sir" under her breath as she reached for a glass of water.

So Vivian is... some sort of science groupie? 'Cuz if so, I wouldn't mind-

I would, and so would Mona.

Archeville was about to say something to Liebniz when he started, but Fraser beat him to the punch.

Well, if Liebniz's house blows up anytime soon, we'll know who was responsible!

I am sure Fraser would not do that. Liebniz is a troll, yes, but he is not a threat.

"Yes, vell," he paused to clear his throat, "now dat ve all know who ve are, ve can begin to formulate how best to use our intellect and skillsets. At you seats you vill find a tablet computer, virelessly connected to de holographic display system I have set up; you can use it to sketch out designs or ideas und dey vill be projected above de table for all to see. Now, I vould like to use someding Herr Fraser said as a starting point-"

Kill Liebniz!

No!

"De subject of veaponry. Firearm proliferation is a problem; vhat are some ideas you have for better protective gear und non-lethal veaponry for law enforcement agents?"

Dr. Volk stands almost as soon as Archeville finishes his question, not even taking up the tablet just yet. "This is an issue that we at AEGIS have always had first and foremost in our minds whenever we begin a new round of research and development. And we are already approaching the finishing stages of our latest protective gear." Standing, Dr. Volk once again motions to Victory, who manages to straighten up even more than he already was.

"On Victory, we've been constantly testing and upgrading a new alloy AEGIS labs have created. This new material has been designed to provide maximum fluidity and flexibility, moving much to the level of flesh, while still being incredibly durable. While it's not yet finished, it is nearing completion, and we expect to be able to mass-produce it within the year. And likely sooner, if all goes well. It has been proven to not only be flexible and durable, but, in our high-speed testing, has proven to be able to reduce friction to the point where very little wear and tear is seen after extended and use at speeds surpassing that of space shuttles." Dr. Volk clears her throat, before sitting again.

"Unfortunately, I cannot share the exact composition of our alloy, as a matter of national security, but should any of you here decide to contribute to the project in order to get it ready sooner for implication into body armor, we are always looking for extra brain-power."

Quentin gently put up his hand. "I hate to rain on the parade, but I do feel we have to consider the wider social ramifications of weapon and armour development. Tool up the cops, the crooks carry bigger guns, and the civvies get more likely to get hurt. "

He continued, "I'm not saying we shouldn't appropriately protect our boys, but just a note of caution. We do have to look at the wider picture that just bigger, badder, tougher, stronger. I know I'm a Brit and all that, but I just throw this in to consider..."

"Um." Jessica picked up the computer and started doodling. "If we're worried about weapon proliferation, why not investigate less-than-lethal options?" A picture slowly grew over the table. It was fairly crude, but pretty soon the intelligentsia could make out the rough form of a male figure with a badge. He was wearing some sort of cylinder on his back, leading to a brace over his arm. "Glue grenades. Put a radar detonator on them and figure out the ideal detonation range. Cover the perp in something sticky and fast-setting, and hopefully they won't be able to move enough to fight back."

"De subject of veaponry. Firearm proliferation is a problem; vhat are some ideas you have for better protective gear und non-lethal veaponry for law enforcement agents?"

Hmm, this was already getting interesting! It was always fun to apply one's own expertise to an unfamiliar problem. No offense to Victory or Dr Volk, but something about their project was a little too military for Estelle’s taste.

"Glue grenades. Put a radar detonator on them and figure out the ideal detonation range. Cover the perp in something sticky and fast-setting, and hopefully they won't be able to move enough to fight back."

The blonde chemist cleared her throat. "Passive restraints are an excellent line of inquiry. However my primary concern would be the possibility of equipment failure; if the detonator fails to activate, you have a dud grenade, or if it detonates too close to the 'perp', there's a risk of serious injury from the charge itself or fragments of the casing.â€

She did a quick technical doodle, adding glowing outlines to the simple police figure to illustrate her point as she spoke.

"Perhaps a variable flow nozzle…connected via a hose that ran along the officer's arm…to a lightweight tank on his or her back? Also the officer would need to carry a solvent that could quickly and safely break down the adhesive, for instance if the perpetrator’s airway was blocked by the compound. Of course, a hose can be slashed with a knife and a tank can be punctured by a firearm; new challenges would be created by any delivery system."

Dragonfly tilted her head, watching the design take shape. punctures - problems - turnabout friendly fire - but not if...

She bit her lip and picked up her tablet and did a few quick, clean - almost blueprint-like - sketches over the hose and tank; apparently she'd had no small amount of experience designing weapons. "Can at least lessen problem. Any system vulnerable to damage...best to shut down, not inflict weapon on allies. Not much of a chemist, but...specialized mixture? Multi-chamber tank, lining down center of hose, like so. Individual chemicals are inert, mixture is activated near end of nozzle - additional chemical, oxygen, radiation.... Spray with enough pressure, won't 'gunk up' hosing...rupture makes a benign mess unless multiple ruptures occur. Chemicals best if non-volatile. Possibly self-sealing in event of too much damage...mm."

She trailed off, leaning back and chewing on her lip as she eyed the diagram.

Oh, this is so exciting!

Bah... glue-grenades and capturefoam projectors... opposition must be met with overwhelming force!

I seem to remember our capturefoam projectors working quite well when the Castle was invaded... and how well such tactics worked against us in the same incident.

Bah!

Archeville nodded along with the team's words, "excellent ideas, and I can attest to the efficacy of capturefoam projektors. De ArcheTech facilities uses similar restraints, vhich can be made airtight to contain liquid- and gaseous-bodied Metahumans. We can also mix in assorted compounds into de basic foam 'recipe' in order to counteract certain Metahuman abilities, such as many forms of intangibility. Dis system vas partly inspired by a certain European supervillain-" He entered commands into his tablet, and next to the holo-schematics already present appeared a man in light battlearmor, gold with green trim, with a golden gun, which looked more like a very, very advanced Super Soaker than a standard firearm or blaster. The helmet's faceplate is divided in two vertically, giving it a vaguely insectile appearance. "Binder, a rather brilliant chemist from mein homeland, who unfortunately chose to use his gifts for selfish purposes. He und I haff tangled many times, and while his Resin Rifle is ineffective against many energy projektors or powerhouses, it has been quite effective at stopping martial artists or gadgeteers... like meinself."

I will destroy him!

Yes, yes, you say that every time....

The Doktor's fingers danced over his tablet, and the image of Binder changed into an exploded view of his armor; other suits of armor, from standard SWAT riot gear and MAX and Super-MAX armor, to the suits of Daedalus and the Power Corps, also appeared. "I vould like to shift this discussion slightly, from nullification to defense. Doktor Volk's talk of improved materials for protective gear is one tactic; what would be some others? What of force fields for law enforcement officers? Or 'life support fields' for firefighters?"

Quentin cautiously raised his hand "I was wondering about the more novel threats we face in Freedom City. Not just the bullet or the fire, but with super villains, aliens, and all sorts of esoteric energies and chemicals flying around. Emergency services may have to face radiation, poison chemicals, and other stuff they won't see. Could we rig up crude geiger counters, or chemical reagents to warn them if they walk into hazard zones? shouldn't be to hard. "

"Just thinking a little laterally here" he added, by way of explanation.

I'm not much good at the big guns and heavy artillery stuff he conceded to himself thank goodness he decided, on reflection.

Jessica watched the Doktor's presentation, tapping at her chin thoughtfully. "I don't think we need to focus on superpowered threats," she offered. "Freedom City has one of the highest densities of superheroes of any city in the world. Not to say anything against the police," she added hastily, "but when we're talking about projected and focused energy beams, or punches that can rock a tank, that's sort of beyond their purview." The student sat back slightly as her point percolated through the room, quietly examining the schematics of the MAX and Super-MAX armor, and especially Daedalus's power armor. She'd have to see if she could get a copy those later.

"I don't think we need to focus on superpowered threats," she offered. "Freedom City has one of the highest densities of superheroes of any city in the world. Not to say anything against the police," she added hastily, "but when we're talking about projected and focused energy beams, or punches that can rock a tank, that's sort of beyond their purview."

Estelle shook her head thoughtfully. "Not entirely, Miss Parker; for one thing, the FCPD's STAR Squad prides itself on being able to handle any superhuman threat, and sadly that pride can manifest itself in a sort of ‘we can handle this ourselves' attitude, so they are far more likely to come into contact with such threats than the average beat cop. Of course you're right, most of the time there are more than enough superheroes to handle any situation, but if this year has taught us anything, it’s that Freedom City is not like other towns; major catastrophic threats do occur here, and from time to time on such a scale that expected help can take much longer to arrive."

She made a point of turning to address Jessica and smiling, to make sure her fellow scientist could see her counterpoint was part of a friendly discourse, and not some sort of attack.

"If we can help a regular police officer survive extraordinary circumstances, even if it's only a few minutes until the Freedom League or another team can arrive on the scene, we have provided a valuable service to both the officer and the city as a whole."

The long-haired beauty shrugged.

"But of course, such protective technologies would have to be affordable, safe and easy to both manufacture and use in the field; we don't want to needlessly complicate a policeman's life and put him at risk by creating a solution that's far worse than the original problem."

Dr de Havilland turned back to the rest of the group as she started a new holo-doodle.

"So perhaps a quick, single use device that could be easily stowed in a police cruiser, say in the trunk or even between the two front seats. A folded set of overalls, perhaps, that fills with a layer of ablative foam once donned and securely zipped up, to protect against heat or radiation."

She stopped herself and smiled a bit self-consciously.

"Forgive me, I'm prattling on; sadly it's not often I get to discuss such topics on a day-to-day basis." She laid a strand of hair against her graceful throat. "Goodness, my pulse is actually racing; perhaps I should skip that second mimosa..." :roll:

Dr. Volk has been jotting down various ideas, including the "glue-guns", the force fields, and whatnot. Tapping the stylus pen on her chin, she thinks about various ideas on how to work these together. After some thought, she places the tablet back on the table.

"I like the idea of having protection that can change to situations, but the budget for such a thing would be outrageous. While we have many great ideas here, money is always the problem. We've had talks with STAR on a number of occasions, but they have been quite difficult. However, I believe that if we can get up the political pressure, then we may be able to get an increase in budget all around, and AEGIS would be more than happy to do joint projects with STAR to keep their equipment up to date, even if it means giving them some of our own."

After having listened to the extensive discussion in earnest, Vivian finally felt that it was her turn to contribute. Though she was no technical genius, she had the experiences of generations of historians and tacticians locked away in her head. She had an idea straight out of the history books that she thought was simple enough, it might stun even the best of the brains that were assembled here.

"All the talk of offensive technology, and new ways to restrain criminals, is wonderful. But I think you're all overlooking something very simple. I may be no science expert, but I ask that you hear me out anyway." Vivian smiled and looked about to see that she had at least some attention before continuing. "Since the beginning of time the best warriors have been the ones that survived. Many time, this did involve having the best offensive weaponry on the battlefield. But more often than not, warriors made due with weapons that were 'good enough'. More important was the protection they wore. I won't rehash the earlier discussion about new materials and suits that enhance abilities and such. My idea is something much simpler. With advanced technology, comes the need for advanced training. There is also a great deal of possibilities for the technology failing and such. But if you remove this complex element and get down to the base elements of what armor is, you find the answer is very simple. Put something between you and the stuff that can hurt you. This requires very little training. It is also the idea behind what I believe to be the single greatest small military arms invention ever: The Shield." Vivian paused for dramatic effect. She leaned over, and drew a small oval on the pad in front of her with the stylus that had been supplied. "Give anyone a shield, and chances are they will know what to do with it after little to no instruction."

"The scope of the discussion was for mundane law enforcement, yes? Obviously different rules apply to MAX and other forces, but as far as the generic FCPD is concerned, they have enough weaponry to threaten the perps the normally persue: Guns." She said this frankly, "They work on the principle of 'Threat of Violence', and on this 'level of play,' so to speak, they need no improvement." Vivian held up her crude drawing of a shied for the room to see, "Many cultures developed the shield independently of one another. Why? Because it worked. The only reason it fell out of common usage was because offensive weaponry became so powerful, it would obliterate any type of shield that tried to stand up to it. It is my belief that shields would still be in common usage today, if only we had some immensely durable substance with which to create them from, and still make it light enough to properly wield." She looked pointedly at Dr. Volk. "You don't need entire suits of protective gear, gentlemen. You just need a glorified block of wood to stick between you and the bad guy! This could potentially work for firefighters as well," She gestured to Dr. Archeville, "Instead of some impenetrable alloy, simply use a material that is super effective at either deflecting, or absorbing heat or other hazardous things." Vivian placed the tablet back on the table in front of her, "History has proven that the shield works when applied properly. Why reinvent the wheel, ladies and gentlemen?" her impromptu presentation concluded, Vivian took her seat once more, happy that she was actually able to help the discussion. The various implements of warfare was something she knew a great deal about.

Jessica listened to Vivian's speech, then began sketching in the air. "A shield is a possibility," she allowed, "but something full-sized would be impossible. Unless you're suggesting we equip every police officer with a riot shield." Floating in the middle of the air was a complicated, bulky piece of tech, looking like something from a Super Sentai television show. It was strapped to a human arm for scale; it looked to be the size of a large wristwatch. The student quickly drew in different views of the device, showing it extending four metal vanes, and finally some sort of energy connecting the vanes. "This unit could, hypothetically, be wrist-mounted. Activate it and you get an energy shield. The shield itself could even be moved around a bit." Subsequent sketched showed the vanes in different position; high and arching back, over to one side, and oriented towards one 'quadrant' of the shield. "Of course, the problem would be to find a small enough power source."

"Jolly good thinking" applauded Supercape, kicking himself he hadn't come as Supercape.

Underneath the table, almost unconsciously, he formed a small disc of quantum material, the semi transparent crystal-like that was tougher than steel and lighter.

Now if only I could make it truly exist, and not evaporate if anyone looks at it too hard...

There was a soft knock on the conference door before Alexandra Albright let herself into the room. For those that followed the news, the self admitted Terminus baby had been busy with her fledgeling company and their charitable works over the summer. "I am so very sorry to interrupt... Please, excuse me."

She appologized as she stepped inside. Alex looked much like any teenager going to their first job interview in a subdued suit and low heels, except of course for the glow of psionic energy around her slender form.

... why is that woman giving a lecture suited for a 5th grade history class?

I... I do not-

Why is she even here?!

"I... am sure the two ideas could be combined," Archeville said after a moment, forcing himself to smile as a good host should. "That is, to create protective items vhich are easy to use, readily deployed. Dat is often von of de most difficult aspects of any new technology, making de interface intuitive enough dat you do not need an advanced degree, or an extended preparation time, to use it."

I believe she works here, I saw her at the circulation desk as we came in.

Oh? And who next shall show up, the janitor? How about the girl who waters the potted plants? The- wait, who's that at the door?

It is Alexandra!

WIIITCH!!!

Behind her visor, Dragonfly blankly blinked. what - 'shields good' - what is this I don't even - my shield is made out of reshaped reality what do you carry "Y...yes. Fond of shields myself, reasonably reliable. Don't...think anyone here doubts that." understatement - like school? - no data "Small shields require training for effective use; large shields situationally useful - riot shields - but bulky. Average officer likely prefers kevlar or equivalent, but...why not."

Sighing, she eyed Jessica's design. "Clever. Small, maliable....mm." Biting her lip, she drew a small series of connected nodes going down the back of each vane, a couple small wires entering the device at the base. "Power source I use is... proprietary, and unwise in mass production. Manipulates entropy. Likely better options...can at least offset the power drain. Energy sinks -" she paused, indicating the little nodes, as Alexandra entered. know her - news? - research later "Small, approaching inexpensive with right machinery, technology. Resources, always. Energy shields have bad habit of soaking some of what they deflect; kinetic energy - bullets - minor problem, energy weapons or metahumans worse. Absorb the excess, convert to electric charge, channel into battery or capacitor to supplement true power source. Discharge extra as light or heat or static...."

John held up his hands for a second. "Woah, woah, woah. I see the need for technology as much as anyone, but the flaw I'm seeing here is this: it's all technology. Full-body shielding? Fully incapacitating foam? It basically doesn't need a police officer, just fit an AI to it while you're using so much tech, and send it on its way."

He scratched a small design on his tablet, of a wrist-mounted shield. "OK, wrist mounted shield. Less powerful. But also less expensive, and with the mney saved... training programs. We should design technology to augment officer's skills, not replace them. I want a cop who, even if not on duty, could step in and stop a crime, not one who'd been made apathetic by walking around covered in enough metal and plastic to make a small house."

"I'm not so certain that the best tactic to take is training or weaponry. Law enforcement is already well equipped to deal with the majority of, pardon the phrase, non-meta villains. In addition, there already exist special forces units to deal with situations above and beyond the normal street officer." Alex spoke up once she'd caught up to the current topic of discussion. "Not to mention, in any sort of arms race, everyone loses and were we to equip any sort of law enforcement force with weaponry, armor and training for combat it would be a matter of time before the criminals quickly matched their capabilities."

Alex linked her fingers together, "Really, if we're going to be tackling a way to help, wouldn't it be better to go to the source of the problem and start combating crime rather than powering up law enforcement. I mean, tackling the problems that contribute to increase in crime. Poverty, socio-economic divides, public schooling and racial bias? Wouldn't that in the end be a better use of time and effort than creating even non lethal solutions for police offers to use in stopping crime?"

"You both raise excellent points," Archeville interjected. "Weapons -- and to an extent armor -- are only as good as the person who wields them, and altering the socioeconomic environment such that crime never occurs in the first place is preferable to stopping crimes after they have occurred. Better to never get sick in the first place than to fight off an infection with antibiotics, the overuse of which can result in new drug-resistant strains of bacteria. However, the scope of Miss Albright's is considerably broader than the time allowed for today's meeting would permit. We would be talking wide-ranging social engineering, and that requires significant time and resources."

Whoa, whoa, whoa! They are not crashing in any of my laboratories!

They do not need to.

"Put simply," he began, tapping on his keypad and creating a holographic image of the Earth above the table, "the people assembled in this room have the capacity to make true change to the world, as surely as heroes like the Freedom League does."

Well, except Norse-Girl there.

The world needs librarians.

Naughty Librarians, maybe.

"We can provide medical care in underserved areas, improve agricultural production throughout the world, finding alternative and cleaner energy sources, developing medical prosthetics, and much, much more."

Fraser can be in charge of demolitions!

Quiet, you.

"My own company, ArcheTech," another few taps and the company logo appeared off to the side of the globe, "does much work along such lines, as do other think-tanks such as ASTRO Labs. Some of you here are affiliated with one of these institutions, but for those of you who are not, I suggest joining one -- if not forming your own."