Brainiac Brunch 2010 [IC]

Date: August 8th, 2010 (Sunday), approx. 10:00am

Highs in the mid-80s, lows in the mid-70s, humidity ~50%, visibility 10 miles, winds S ~10 mph, partly cloudy skies.

The last "Brainiacs of Freedom" meeting had gone well, and Doktor Archeville and Ace Danger had decided then to try and make it regular thing. Of course, this was far easier said than done, given the wildly varying schedules, personalities, and temperaments of the people involved. They had managed to get something together for the first anniversary of the meeting, but the day after the invites were sent those pesky Grue invaded and threw everything off. Now, three months later, things had settled down enough that a meeting could take place (and the assorted schools and universities had not yet started their fall semester), though who would actually show was anyone's guess.

Rather than hold it at the Emissary's Utopian embassy, Archeville decided to hold it at the Freedom Public Library. The large granite building held enough secluded reading rooms where they could meet and talk in peace without causing too much disturbance to the library's normal functioning, and catering from Chez Henri promised an exquisite brunch to talk over.

You are cordially invited to a summit of great minds of Freedom City

to discuss the problems of the day and the future

and for general networking

Freedom Public Library

10:00am

August 8th, 2010

Dress costumed or casual

Meal to be provided

Oh, I do hope we get a good turnout! This is just so... so...

Boring? Tedious? A waste of time?

Exciting! So many good idea came from the last one, and we met so many nice people!

So many C-listers. Most of the ideas given out were mine!

I believe you are misremembering, everyone came up with some fi-

Bah! And why on Earth did you go with Chez Henri? Their service is worse than most!

Their food is great, and-

Great? Pfaugh! You should've gone with das Bierhaus!

I told you, they don't do breakfast, or brunch!

They would if I'd demanded it!

And Chez Henri's service is not that bad, especially not when they are out catering. And, I did make sure they had plenty of hot chocolate for you.

... fine... but there'd better be some attractive women coming...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know how sometimes you sometimes get a slight inexplicable buzzing in your ear for no reason? That sound seemed to grow outside the library as Freedom City's local crime fighting musician suddenly simply appeared hovering above the parking lot. It seemed a bit weird that Warren was in costume as Rift when the city knew who he was, but he was used to wearing it when doing anything related to travel or his powers. Get to meet some of the greatest minds of the city. Discuss things...and free food! Sounds like a wining combination to me. He did wish that this wasn't hosted at a library. Quiet places just didn't make the Genius Guitarist comfortable.

Well it did not matter in the long run. He landed on the pavement, switched his guitar off and headed inside. He was curious to see who else would be attending.

Precisely at the appointed hour, Miss Americana stepped into the library, following the discreet signs that pointed the way to the appropriate conference room. This morning she was wearing an exquisitely tailored dress in a demure foggy gray that just highlighted the gold of her hair and the blue of her eyes, not to mention the curves of her figure. She paused just inside the door to the conference room, giving the doctor and the young man who'd already arrived a warm smile. "Is this the summit?" she asked, her voice a pleasing smoky alto. "Looks like I'm right on time."

As was her wont Dragonfly had arrived early but waited across the street until she noticed people entering the building, just to make sure she'd made no mistakes...and for the usual bout of convincing herself to go be social. With people.

After a subjective age of arguments and counter-arguments - standing near the sidewalk in full costume, muttering to herself, too focused on the building opposite to notice the glances from the odd passer-by - reason and the temptation to meet the minds that would show up won out. Steeling herself, the young woman set her jaw and made her way across the street and into the library proper, quietly slipping into the conference room just in time to hear the words of a heroine that made her feel awfully inadequate. don't think about it - meeting for brains not bodies - still - would kill for that figure - maybe - draws attention? weigh benefits penalties - would still be awkward

It's not every day you get a personal invite from the famed Doktor Archeville for a meeting of some of the greatest thinkers and professors in Freedom City, so Don knew he had to come! At the correct time, a sleek, black and white-pinstriped fully restored 1966 Shelby GT 350 pulls up to the library parking lot. Don enters the library and follows the signs to the conference room where the meeting was being held. He smiles at the small crowd already there. "Huh, I thought I was a little early. In any case, I want to thank you all for inviting me here today."

Quentin was absolutely delighted to accept the invitation. Clearly his work at Freedom university was not going unnoticed!

He had spend the day deciding and changing his mind on costume. For once, he abandoned the tweed and went for a full dinner jacket - immaculate and pristine, with a perfect cut. Well, as it was made out of a quantum lattice of unstable molecules that responded to his every wish, it would be perfect.

Heck, he even splashed out on a limo to take him to the event.

Unlike many of the other guests, AEGIS Technology head Dr. Doris Volk did not come by herself. As the rather plain, but incredibly intelligent woman makes her way inside, draped in her labcoat with the AEGIS logo stitched into it, another large form follows behind, making some rather heavy steps, which can be heard, at least faintly, throughout the library. Of course, the one making them doesn't walk all that much, so it's not something heard as often.

In his full battle-gear, albeit with the leg and arm jets contained within (his V-booster out and prominent, however), walks Victory, AEGIS' most recently rolled-out super project. He looks a little bit uncomfortable as he walks. Not due to being nervous or anything, although it is a bit odd for him to be here, at least in his mind, but due to the fact that he knows he'll have to be on the ground for a while. Not something he's a big fan of. But he stays close behind Dr. Volk, accompanying her both as a bodyguard and to show the fruits of AEGIS' labors to the other great minds collected here.

As luck, or some other powerful force would have it, some part of Dr. Archeville's wishes seemed to be granted almost immediately. Dr. Archville suddenly became aware of a tall woman, slender yet fit, and very attractive making her way towards him in a baby blue dress with somewhat thin straps. The woman wore heels, but would still be a giant without them. He extremely long blond hair was tied up in a bun behind her head, but the excess was still long enough to lay about her shoulders. As she drew closer, she smiled at him, obviously intent on making conversation with the famous scientist. The smile brought attention to her face which was decorated in just the right amount of makeup including a glossy coating on her lips. Her entire ensemble served perfectly to bring out her already stunning natural beauty.

It appears that she had ignored the part of the invitation that had advertised casual dress, or missed it entirely. Either way, in a crowd that was just beginning to gather, she stuck out like a sore thumb. Though not necessarily in a bad way.

As she finally came close, she paused to brush a bang out of her eyes, and addressed him, "Good morning, Doctor. Might I have a word? My name is Vivian, and I'm a huge fan."

Jessica Parker's invitation had come by way of her grandfather, but she was more than happy to attend a conference that would include someone like Doktor Archville. She had come straight from home, mapping out the route beforehand and making sure she was plenty early.She parked in a paid lot across the street from the library and crossed the street, watching several lab-coated figures walk into the building ahead of her. She was just wearing a white dress shirt and dark khakis, the same outfit she wore to almost every day -- there was even a scientific calculator in the breast pocket! The girl was feeling distinctly under-dressed as she walked through the front door.

Jessica followed the signs and found the assigned room without any trouble. She slipped in and looked around, noting the folks in formal wear and super-uniforms. She glanced down at herself and again wondered if she should've worn a dress, or maybe worn her hair loose? It was just pinned back and out of the way of her face right now: practical, but not very pretty. She did notice Mara standing off to one side, visor and armor in place, but resisted the urge to call out to her. Would Dragonfly-the-superhero want to be associated with Jessica-the-civilian? She sighed and leaned against a handy wall, already feeling out of place.

Quentin walked in, and was immediately accosted by a waiter. He helped himself to a nibble, and a few crumbs landed on the lapels of his immaculate dinner jacket, although he didn't notice. Nobody else was dressed so elegantly. He was rather pleased with himself.

"Quill"

The icy words rung out across the room.

"Liebniz" Quentin replied through gritted teeth. So that old rascal was invited too, hmm? Can't say i'm surprised. Irritated, I can say.

Liebniz walked past Quentin and said, through equally gritted teeth "this is my show Quill. Don't screw it up and I may even get introduce you to Herr Doktor himself".

Idiot thought Quentin He probably hasn't even met him.

Catching sight of the man himself, Liebniz stumbled forward, oblivious to the beautiful woman already heading his way. Speaking in his own native German, Liebniz started a stream of sycophantic babbling...

"Herr Doktor! Herr Doktor! So glad you invited me, may I just say what a huge fan of yours I am. If I could just possibly have a moment of your time..."

At that moment, Don looks over at this new arrival-and finds something seems familiar about the man in the dinner jacket. He quietly walks over to him. "Excuse me my good man, but while this may sound a bit cliche, have we met before?" He thinks on if for a moment. "Wait, I have it! You're Professor Quill, right? I'm Don Fried, Nobel Prize laureate. We both attended that conference in Amsterdam on Advances In Quantum Physics, if I recall. Your lecture on the properties of unstable molecules was rather inspired, if I do say so myself. " He puts out his hand right hand for a handshake.

Dragonfly sat against her wall, feeling more and more uncomfortable as the room started to fill up but forcing herself to stay put. need the practice - good environment - may learn something - skin crawling She knew she'd seen Jessica come in a few minutes ago, but wasn't sure where her friend was now...or how to approach her.

not a very good liar - 'Dragonfly' doesn't know her - if it was a fight I'd study th- - .... - hm Leaning forward, the young woman scanned the room, watching people interact; how they moved, what they did, what they said, who was notable and attending and why. Maybe, just maybe, there was a science to this kind of thing after all....

As Dragonfly watched, she noticed the more beautiful of the two attractive blonde women in dresses coming over in her direction. "Hello," she said warmly, "I'm Miss Americana. I don't think I've had the pleasure of your acquaintance, but I assume you're a superhero as well?" The outfit seemed to make that a pretty safe assumption. "I'm so excited about this summit and everything we can learn from each other. What's your area of specialty?" she asked.

Catching sight of the man himself, Liebniz stumbled forward, oblivious to the beautiful woman already heading his way. Speaking in his own native German, Liebniz started a stream of sycophantic babbling...

"Herr Doktor! Herr Doktor! So glad you invited me, may I just say what a huge fan of yours I am. If I could just possibly have a moment of your time..."

"Excuse me?" Vivian asked as she turned to see a man rushing in her direction. Her tone held no attitude, she was just surprised by the sudden wave of German crashing down on her ears. "I'm not sure I understood that." As she stopped to think about the manner of the second man's approach, she realized despite the language barrier that he might be trying to muscle in on her face time with the famous scientist. Were that the case, she couldn't say she would be happy about it...

Even though she was well aware one of her study subjects was coming closer (position was, after all, an important variable), by the time Dragonfly realized that meant someone was coming closer Miss Americana was already there and talking. It took her a second to catch up, and she gracefully filled that space with a blank look and a brief stammer. "I - yes, um. Hello. Yes. I mean-"

stupid stupid stupid - catch up - not very smart for a smart person are you "Sorry," she replied, reaching her her visor to pinch the bridge of her nose. "Yes. Dragonfly. I am, I mean...nice to meet you. An...interesting crowd. May be interesting. Enlightening, possibly. I...dabble. Long history of variety." technically true "Mostly spacial technology, lately. Reality folding and manipulation. ...you?"

Dr. Volk had attended so many "meetings of the minds" that this was second nature to her. A number of the folks that were invited were people she already knew, as she went around shaking hands and catching up. Victory stayed close, keeping a straight face all the time. It was a bit tough for him to relax in here. It was too crowded. Too cramped. Not something he's fond of. But he tried to keep his face neutral, and be ready to introduce himself. He knew part of the reason why he was brought here was as a demonstration. But he wasn't quite sure how he should react among these people.

With each person she greeted, Dr. Volk would give a brief introduction for Victory, explaining his function, throwing out some numbers, the whole lot. Victory, for his part, wasn't really listening to the specifics. He was more interested in looking about the room. Keeping his eyes open. Maybe he'll see an occassion to say something more than "Hello."

"Ah, Herr Rift!" He waved the young super-roadie over. "So good to see you again!"

... you're kliddin' me, right? He's the first of the 'super' folks to show up?!

Well, at least we know the discussions will have some input from one of today's youth.

Archeville's attention was instantly snared by Miss Americana. "Ah, willkommen, hello!" He zipped towards her on gravimetric distortions generated by his Belt, and shook her hand, "I do not believe ve haff met before! So glad you could come!"

Yeah, this is more like it!

Keep your pants on.

As Dyne approached, his mass sense went all wonky, which he expected Archeville's Gravimetric Belt would do. Before Archeville could approach the Nobel-winning professor, though, a striking woman in a baby blue dress intercepted him. "Alvays a pleasure to meet mein fans," he replied, taking her hand and giving a quick peck to the back of it.

Awww yeah...

Oh, for the love of... remember Mona!

What she doesn't know won't hurt us.

She would know, because I would tell her!

And then there was Liebniz. Archeville had considered not sending the sycophantic bottomfeeder a personal invite, but he knew his fellow countryman would learn of it via the public announcements anyway, and he would make a huge stink about not being invited. Ah, the hoops ones must jump through for Academia.

I think we can use him to our advantage. His acerbic nature may draw others out, get them to speak out if only to shut him up.

Perhaps... or, he dominates the conversations so thoroughly, no one else gets a word in edgewise!

Oh, you don't have to worry about that happening, as long as I'm here.

... why does that not make me feel any better?

"" he said with a forced smile, compelling himself to shake the leech's hand. ""

Aww, looks like the blonde's upset. I must... comfort her...

She said her name is Vivian, and you shall do nothing but keep an eye on Liebniz!

He turned to Vivian, "apologies, fraulein, de... good Doctor und I vere merely exchanging greetings in our native tongue. A fine language, German; many scientific und technical journals are published in it."

Archeville scanned the room, and plotted out how best to make his way to each and every one present. He wanted to personally greet each one before the meeting began in earnest.

At that moment, Don looks over at this new arrival-and finds something seems familiar about the man in the dinner jacket. He quietly walks over to him. "Excuse me my good man, but while this may sound a bit cliche, have we met before?" He thinks on if for a moment. "Wait, I have it! You're Professor Quill, right? I'm Don Fried, Nobel Prize laureate. We both attended that conference in Amsterdam on Advances In Quantum Physics, if I recall. Your lecture on the properties of unstable molecules was rather inspired, if I do say so myself. " He puts out his hand right hand for a handshake.

"Ah yes, Professor Don! Lovely to see you again!" exclaimed Quentin, brushing away the crumbs from his jacket. "Not quite Amsterdam is it?" he said, looking around and wondering for the first time if he had dressed up a little too much for the meeting. No matter, show them a bit of class!

"Still, should be a splendid morning! room packed full of brilliant and exciting minds!"

He gazed over to Liebniz who was gibbering away to the host in German.

"And Liebniz"

"Not quite, though the service is excellent. pretty much expected of the Doktor, though." Don follows his companion's gaze. "Heh, I've had to deal with my share of sycophants and brown-nosers. Don't let it get to you, I've seen what a brilliant man you are." Don smiles broadly. "I might be asking for a collaboration in the future actually, since several colleagues have told me that when it comes to quantum mechanics and the nature of unstable particles, there are few who can match their expertise, and that's what I'm looking for to advance my refinement of my Unified Gravity Theory into a So-called "Theory of Everything."

Yet another rented limo pulled up in front of the library, and the lovely Dr. Yvonne de Havilland stepped out onto the sidewalk. It was a lovely summer day and she'd chosen a relatively simple lightweight dress for the occasion, as she didn't expect to spend too much time chatting about outfits. As was often the case, her amazing hair was twisted into a thick golden braid that hung straight down her back and brushed against her shoes.

She was a bit later than she planned to be, but traffic had been fairly horrendous and a fair number of taxis and limos were backed up in front of the library for today's brunch.

It will be good to see Viktor again, and maybe a few other familair faces?

Unfortunatly something else famialr was waiting outside her limo: a gaggle of papparazzi and photographers, eager to pry out a tidbit about Divine, whom she was currently dating.

"Gossamer, can you just-" "Doctor de Havilland, can you-" "Just one smile, Goldilocks, whaddya say?"

Employing a familiar tactic, she unfurled her hair intom a golden dome that completely enclosed her, leaving only her feet and a small window for her face exposed. The bizarre umbrella, blazing under the glare of the flash photography, rose up the library steps and disappeared inside, where Estelle leaned up against the glass door and sighed

I do not like this; it's really starting to lose its appeal :(

But now she was safe within the walls of a noble institution and she could breathe again. Carefully putting her braid back in place, she made her way to the meeting room and still managed a fairly impressive entrance. As always, she was happy to see Doc, but there was also Dragonfly from the audtions last month and Vivian from the library staff. Friendly faces indeed!

She gratefully accepted a mimosa in a tall thin flute from a waiter's tray, and decided to hang back a bit and get a feel for the room. Her ears strained to pick out snippets of conversation.

Physics. Again. :roll:

She sighed despite herself as she shook her head slightly.

It's always the physics nerds at these sorts of events; where are all the lab rats smelling of potassium permanganate?

With each person she greeted, Dr. Volk would give a brief introduction for Victory, explaining his function, throwing out some numbers, the whole lot. Victory, for his part, wasn't really listening to the specifics. He was more interested in looking about the room. Keeping his eyes open. Maybe he'll see an occasion to say something more than "Hello."

Jessica was just watching the rest of the crowd when a woman in an AEGIS labcoat approached her, a rather large man with some kind of metal vanes protruding from his back in tow. She straightened up and gave the woman a smile, exchanging pleasentries with her, but her eyes were all on the man. When he was introduced -- "Victory? What an interesting name!" -- the young inventor took the opportunity to walk all the way around the man, noting odd bulged underneath his clothing that probably weren't biological in origin. "That's a... very interesting system, here."

He turned to Vivian, "apologies, fraulein, de... good Doctor und I vere merely exchanging greetings in our native tongue. A fine language, German; many scientific und technical journals are published in it."

"Ah, I see!" She recovered gracefully, a difficult task for her. "It is a pleasure to meet you, then. If you can understand me,..." Her voice trailed off before finishing the sentence. "And yes, Doctor Archeville. I've read some of the journals you mentioned. I especially liked your piece on hidden technologies of past cultures. My area of expertise is history, you see. I really never expected that the Egyptians may have been capable of space travel. Who knew?" She smiled at him. She wanted to try and see if he hand anything more on the subject before he left to pursue other company. She turned on the charm, "What I'd really like to know about, though, is your studies of the Scandinavian lands and people. Norse history is my focus. The section in your first edition was a little small. I wanted to know if it would be bigger in your next book? Perhaps you could take some time tonight to tell me more?" She laid it on thick.

The corner of her eye caught a mass of golden tangles making it's way through the crowd. Estelle. She offered a tiny wave over the Doctor's shoulder.

"Norse, eh? Well, I-" Archeville's eye was caught by another newcomer, or, rather, he acted as if it were. In truth, the woman's words were setting off alarms in his head.

Last time a blonde like that asked us about Norse things...

... it turned out she was an agent of the Thule Society, seeking to uncover so-called 'magic artifacts' for her masters.

She was fun in the sack, though.

Yes, until we woke up to find she'd tied us to the bed and set fire to the hotel room!

"Vell, ancient und hidden technologies are not someding I haff made much study of lately, due to mein attentions being drawn to so many ozher projekts. Ah, do excuse me -- so many people to greet!"

He made his way over to Don and Quentin. "Ah, Professor Fried, Professor Quill! So good to see you both made it!" He shook both men's hands enthusiastically, "I vas hoping to talk mit both of you on some projekts I am vorking on!"

Pft, like there's anything these two know that I don't.

How many Nobel prizes have you won?

Bah! A meager award named for a spineless Swede!

So.... none?

:argh:

"Ah, do excuse me, gentlemen, more guests to greet!" he said as Gossamer's golden hair caught his eye. "Doctor de Havilland! So good to see you again!" He greeted her with a hug, "glad to see ASTRO vas villing to spare you for a few moments."

Screw that, I wanna hear more about the talk of her relationship with that Divine hottie!

Oy... :roll:

"Norse, eh? Well, I-" Archeville's eye was caught by another newcomer, or, rather, he acted as if it were. In truth, the woman's words were setting off alarms in his head.

"Vell, ancient und hidden technologies are not someding I haff made much study of lately, due to mein attentions being drawn to so many ozher projekts. Ah, do excuse me -- so many people to greet!"

"Oh I see." Vivian replied, a little miffed that he'd seemed to completely gloss over her charm. As the doctor excused himself to greet some others, she called out, "Okay, well I can't wait for your next book!"

Oh forget him. There's other people here that you know. She reasoned with herself. She began making her way toward Estelle, when Dr. Archeville stepped in front of her, having not seen her approaching. Oh, I see how it is. Man, he works fast.

"Now, before you say anything, Doctor, I promise I'm not following you." She entered the conversation, "Estelle! How are you? Oh, and where did you get that drink?" Vivian was all smiles, happy to be able to reconnect with a friend.

Jessica was just watching the rest of the crowd when a woman in an AEGIS labcoat approached her, a rather large man with some kind of metal vanes protruding from his back in tow. She straightened up and gave the woman a smile, exchanging pleasentries with her, but her eyes were all on the man. When he was introduced -- "Victory? What an interesting name!" -- the young inventor took the opportunity to walk all the way around the man, noting odd bulged underneath his clothing that probably weren't biological in origin. "That's a... very interesting system, here."

Victory's mood perked up a bit when one of the younger people there got an interest in him. Many of the people around were people Dr. Volk had known for years, and many of whom were quite a bit older than he. Not all, of course. Quite a few of the people here were quite young, as well. Something that Victory had noted as a bit odd when he came in. When the young lady commented on his name, he smiled, and took his helmet in one hand, tipping it like an old-fashioned gentleman would with his hat. He didn't have a problem with showing his whole face like most supers do. "Why thank you, Miss. I do my best to live up to it."

Dr. Volk smirked at that, and give Victory a pat on his silver-and-blue shoulder. "Indeed you do, Victory. Although I do wish you'd have your smile on more while we're here."

Victory gave the smallest of chuckles. "I'll try, Doctor. You know how I am in enclosed spaces." He had Volk noticed how intently the young woman was studying, and Victory watched, with his helmet now tucked under his arm. "Yes, it's pretty complex. It takes the maintenance crew quite a while to finish my regular check-ups, since they have to test every individual part on me, because it has to be absoloutely precise. And as you can see....." When she was clear from getting hit by it, Victory's lip curls into more of a smirk, and he lets out his boosters, hatches opening throughout his body, jets protruding from the new openings. He doesn't turn them on, because he didn't want to risk setting anything or anyone ablaze, but he's certainly much more...vast-looking...with them all out. "....there are quite a few parts."