Brainiac Brunch 2010 [IC]

Jessica completed her slow circuit of Victory, openly admiring the flight vanes and the large V attached to his chest. "It's a fascinating build," she said, squatting on her heels to get a better look at the vanes on his legs. She took out a pen and tested the angle of movement on the control surfaces; glancing up at the big man, she asked "How fast can the system go, when you really open it up?" There was a big, silly grin on her face as she examined every aspect of the system -- any social awkwardness had been completely forgotten.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Not quite, though the service is excellent. pretty much expected of the Doktor, though." Don follows his companion's gaze. "Heh, I've had to deal with my share of sycophants and brown-nosers. Don't let it get to you, I've seen what a brilliant man you are." Don smiles broadly. "I might be asking for a collaboration in the future actually, since several colleagues have told me that when it comes to quantum mechanics and the nature of unstable particles, there are few who can match their expertise, and that's what I'm looking for to advance my refinement of my Unified Gravity Theory into a So-called "Theory of Everything."

"Oh you do me to much credit, sir!" beamed Quentin, chuffed as a slice of cherry pie. "Of course, of course, most interesting. Although to my mind, stability is not a dichotomous variable, as I am sure you will appreciate. And of course, one has to appreciate the entanglement with the observer..." he started babbling for a while before realising who he was talking to. "Yes, well, anyway. I'm sure you are familiar with all of this. Perhaps even read my theories. Got me into a spot of bother back home. "

As the good host wafted over to them, Quentin graciously took his hand. "Delighted to meet you Herr Doktor. Wonderful gathering you have here!"

Spying LIebniz still trying to get the Doctor's attention, he continued in fluent, although not native, German, with a charming wink and smile.

""

In your face, Liebniz! it had been quite a while since he had topped his German class at school, but academic conferences had kept up his proficiency.

Jessica completed her slow circuit of Victory, openly admiring the flight vanes and the large V attached to his chest. "It's a fascinating build," she said, squatting on her heels to get a better look at the vanes on his legs. She took out a pen and tested the angle of movement on the control surfaces; glancing up at the big man, she asked "How fast can the system go, when you really open it up?" There was a big, silly grin on her face as she examined every aspect of the system -- any social awkwardness had been completely forgotten.

Victory can't say that he's not used to having people poking, prodding, and gawking at individual parts. It tends to happen almost daily. It is a bit odd for it to be happening in a library by someone not a part of the Project, but he plays it cool. Using the hand not holding the helmet, he strokes his chin. "Hmmm...I don't know the exact numbers. What was I getting up to on the tests, Dr.?"

Dr. Volk grins a bit, as she did like putting out the numbers. "Well, in terms of pure top speed, at full thrust he's managed to go upwards of 200,000 mph, although he normally keeps his speed at around 50,000 mph. He can potentially go beyond even those speeds, but we put a limit on it, as anything more would begin to damage him. It is possible for him to go past that, but it has to be the absolute most dire need."

Jessica stood and brushed off her slacks, giving Victory another appreciative look. "That's a heck of a top speed. I'd love a chance to try you agai--" Jessica's mouth snapped shut as she abruptly cut herself off. It would be very reckless to mention her alter ego in casual conversation. Truthfully, she would probably be outstripped if he could really hit better than a hundred thousand miles per hour, but that didn't stop her from wanting to test her suit against someone else.

"So then," she said, her voice quiet, "how do they feel?"

Giving a quick nod to their host, Don turns right back to Professor Quill. "Well, it won't be right away, of course, I am still in the middle of developing that gravity-based power generator. In fact, our company just had the first successful alpha test this last week, which is a very promising sign for the outcome of the project. And incidentally, this test should prove the validity of my theory, and quiet those last few remaining skeptics once and for all." Don smiles at that last part.

Jessica stood and brushed off her slacks, giving Victory another appreciative look. "That's a heck of a top speed. I'd love a chance to try you agai--" Jessica's mouth snapped shut as she abruptly cut herself off. It would be very reckless to mention her alter ego in casual conversation. Truthfully, she would probably be outstripped if he could really hit better than a hundred thousand miles per hour, but that didn't stop her from wanting to test her suit against someone else.

"So then," she said, her voice quiet, "how do they feel?"

The little slip of the tongue gets Victory's attention, his eyebrow raising in a moment of confusion. But he doesn't pursue it. Dr. Volk, for her part, is answering the questions of another guest who had approached her. But Victory just waves his suspicion off for a second. "It's quite a thrill, I have to admit. Apparently Dr. Volk and her team are trying to get it even higher. I just hope I'll be able to handle it..."

Hearing her question, though, Victory's face gets a bit more serious. Looking down at his mechanical arm, he curls his fingers into a fist a few times and takes a deep breath, letting it out before he speaks, his voice lowered as well. "It's....very different. I don't really know any way to describe it. It's like....the parts are there, but they're not. The parts are advanced enough that I can feel through them just as well as my real parts could, but...it's not quite the same. But the power they give? It's a totally different experience. Leaning how to control the output was probably the hardest part."

"Yes. Dragonfly. I am, I mean...nice to meet you. An...interesting crowd. May be interesting. Enlightening, possibly. I...dabble. Long history of variety." technically true "Mostly spacial technology, lately. Reality folding and manipulation. ...you?"

"Oh, I'm a bit of a jack of all trades," Miss Americana said easily, "but my specialty is computers. I've read a couple of papers on reality manipulation, but I probably couldn't begin to keep up with you on that. I've heard of some superheroes who do amazing things in the reality manipulation arena, even to the point of creating new universes. Is that part of your skillset, or is your interest just professional?" she asked with genuine curiosity and interest.

"Mm." Dragonfly tilted her head, nerves smoothing away a little as science took over her brain. She held her hands close together as if she was holding an invisible basketball; as the seams and glass in her gauntlets lit up in a soft neon blue the space between them buckled and twisted, silently wrapping around itself into a spherical distortion.

"True universe...difficult. Stability, energy requirements...have to seed, frame it right or entropy claims it when you look away. An interesting engineering challenge. Certain risks - invites trouble. Theoretically could...don't currently have the resources or reason. Suppose it'd be convenient in places." secondary/primary base? - interesting thought - file for later Tilting her head the other way, the little sphere turned inside-out in a way that three-dimensional eyes really weren't designed to see and became a blank void in space, jagged lines darting across its surface. "Smaller-scale is much easier. Use it mostly for storage. Fold space over, make a pocket...secure, easy, no maintenance. It's habitable, if uncomfortable. Or so I'm told...criminals usually complain."

"Doctor de Havilland! So good to see you again!" He greeted her with a hug, "glad to see ASTRO vas villing to spare you for a few moments."

Estelle warmly returned the hug, carefully holding her drink so it would spill down his ubiquitous lab coat

"Viktor! Thank you so much for the invitation!"

She indicated the other guests with a wave of her glass.

"I see how it is; you don't invite any other chemists so you can keep me to yourself, you, you generalist you!"

Though her tone was scornful, there was an obvious twinkle in her eye.

"Now, before you say anything, Doctor, I promise I'm not following you." She entered the conversation, "Estelle! How are you? Oh, and where did you get that drink?"

The abrupt arrival of Vivian, whom she'd met during a previous library visit, caused Estelle to raise an eyebrow.

Overdressed, a little pushy...is she actually drunk?

There were no other signs of intoxication, but Estelle raised her social force fields nonetheless; situations like this had a tendancy to get out of control rather fast. She responded to the overeager historian in a friendly tone of voice, but the truly observant would detect a hint of formality in her tone and traces of scanning behaviour as the scientist/socialite did her best to read the scene.

"How nice to see you again, Vivian! To be honest, I'm a bit surprised to see you immersed in the cold analytical world of science; usually one discusses history in a warm book-lined burrow over a nice cup of hot tea." ;)

She turned her head, and a golden frond loosened from her braid to extend her eyeline to indicate the waiter. "That gentleman over there has the mimosas; I'd reach out and fetch one for you, but I'm afraid I'd clothesline somebody."

"Oh, I am sure dere are von or two ozher chemists around here, somevhere..." Archeville playfully replied, making an exaggerated show of looking around the room.

I've got some chemistry for ya!

Yes, and she has access to potent acids.

His scan was not entirely in jest, though, as he did note several more people of interest. "Ah, more guests to greet!" He touched Gossamer on the elbow as he left, "pardon me, please!"

A shadow fell over Dragonfly's void.

"Pocket dimension, eh?," the Doktor said as he appeared out of nowhere and loomed over. He flashed a smile at Miss Americana, then back to Dragonfly. "I haff a few of dose meinself. I live in von! Doktor Archeville," he said, extending a hand, "very pleased to meet you."

Hunh.

'Hunh'? That is all you have to say?

She's probably the youngest one here, and look what she's made.

Yes, quite impres- wait, is that a hint of... of acknowledgment in your voice?

ArcheTech can always use new blood...

... yes... yes, it ca-

... for me to lord over!

"Well, you know what they say: You'll never meet new people when you shut yourself up in a room." Vivian responded to Estelle's question, placing a somewhat forced smile on her face.

Then suddenly, Dr. Archeville was departing again. "Oh thank the gods." Vivian let out a small sigh. Her pompous attitude and uppity air seemed to deflate like a punctured balloon. Estelle now saw the Vivian she remembered, the down to earth girl from their earlier party. "It's always so difficult around the host, you know? Especially when you were not actually invited. You don't think I'm too overdressed, do you?" Vivian was talking a mile a minute. "Maybe I will have that drink after all." She snatched a glass from the tray of a passing waiter.

"Mm. Too many projects to build one worth living in. Other priorities...never enough time. Have theoretically extended the concepts to a local time distortion but not really comfortable playing with time unless proper countermeasures are in...place...."

Dragonfly looked up and froze, the little ball of broken physics between her hands flickering and untangling back into normal space as she lost concentration. Doktor Arche... - what - over here - what "D...Dragonfly," she managed, reaching out to shake the hand. "Honored to meet you."

"That's amazing," Miss Americana told Dragonfly, leaning in to examine the little bubble of altered reality. She wished desperately for just a few of her tools so she could get a more thorough look, but just seeing it was quite interesting. "Isn't it spectacular, Doctor Archeville?" she asked their host as he joined them. "Dragonfly's specialty is reality manipulation, and she's putting theory into practice already. I'd love to see you do it in a lab setting, but I'm afraid most of my equipment isn't even set up yet," she admitted with a smile. "Now you say you can actually make one big enough to put a person into?"

She blinked, still a little...'star-struck' probably wasn't the right term, but it was close enough. She certainly wasn't used to anyone taking an interest in her work, much less a couple of other heroes...much less in this sort of setting, and much, much less heroes with Dr. Archeville's reputation or Americana's...stature. She was a little overwhelmed.

catch up - was asked a question - try not to make a fool of yourself "What? Oh. Yes." She frowned, trying to concentrate on the problem and not her audience before continuing. "Yes. 'Big' is deceptive - normal dimensions break down when you fold them, height, width, length...some limits on how big the field can get here, in normal space, but otherwise the problem is mass. Plenty big enough for people; benchmarked just under 10,000 kilograms...could push it higher if I had to. Power drain, though...no longer self-sustaining at high stress or limit. Working on that. Specialized device could go much higher...gauntlets have to do many things at once. Tinkering with it off and on. Not...as impressive as some things, I'm sure. Entertaining, though."

"Well." Jessica took Victory's artificial hand and shook it lightly, doing the same with Dr. Volk. "It was a pleasure meeting both of you. But if you'll excuse me, there's a lot more I want to see at this conference." Excusing herself with as much grace as she could muster, the young inventor drifted through the appointed space until she noticed a crowd of people, including Doktor Archeville himself! Moving closer, she noted that it was Dragonfly who was the center of attention. She stood back a bit, familiar with how her friend's spacial rifts looked, and just listened to her explanation.

Arrowhawk was running late. In his civilian identity, John Fraser limped in through the door at a brisk pace, clad in a pair of black slacks and a plain blue shirt. He'd eschewed a tie. He'd deliberately eschewed coming as Arrowhawk, to avoid cultivating a public persona, to not have the element of surprise ruined by having everyone know his specialties, and really to actually have a life outside Arrowhawk.

But, leaning on his cane in the doorway, he wasn't particularly sure where to go first. Then he saw Vivian, apparently drinking like a fish. Oi vey...

"Do not be so quick to put yourself down, frau Drachefliege," Archeville said supportively. "De fact you haff created a device capable of generating a pocket universe of dat size, dat is small enough to fit into your gauntlets, is an achievement you should be proud of!"

A bit of attention, some kind words here and there, and I'll have her eating out of my hand!

I would prefer to support her for the sake of, well, supporting her! She clearly has some shyness issues, and could use some help coming out of her shell.

The approaching tall strawberry blonde (Jessica) next caught the Doktor's attention. He'd seen her talking with the AEGIS folks, and had planned to see them next, but if she came closer to him first, so much the better. He waved her over, "hello, hello! Alvays glad to see new faces!"

Hunh... I think this one's younger than pocket-girl.

Oh, this is turning out better than I had hoped! Seeing so many bright young faces is so inspiring!

Yes, good to meet the next generation of my subjects!

Of Science-Heroes!

Heroes, Villains, they'll all- well, would you look who just limped in!

Oh my... I certainly did not expect to see him here!

Be sure to keep him away from the hot plates, we don't want another explosion!

Oh, hush, I am sure he is not here to 'size us up' or anything of the sort.

Archeville waved Fraser over, "John, hello! So good to see you again!" His face suddenly lit up, and he turned to Gossamer and Vivian, "Doctor de Havillan! Ve just got anozher chemist!"

Victory nodded and shook her hand, a polite smile on his lips, being careful to keep his strength in check. Well, that was certainly a more enjoyable conversation than he'd had since he got here, that much was for sure. He did wonder what she had meant with that little slip of the tongue, though. "A pleasure. I'm sure we'll speak again sometime." Dr Volk, as well, bid her goodbye. "Good luck to you. I do like seeing young minds with such promise."

After she left, Victory and Dr. Volk spoke to each other in a quiet tone, about as close to whisper to still allow them to hear each other. "What do you think, Doctor?" Dr. Volk looks a bit more serious. "I can tell just by how she examined you. She's got quite a lot to go for her." "And about her little slip of the tongue?" Dr. Volk is quiet for a moment, then looks up at Victory. "...You know what I'm going to say." Victory nods, and the two go on to more meet-and-greet.

Jessica felt a flutter in her chest as Doktor Archeville turned and talked to her, actually addressed her directly! She straightened her spine and stuck out her hand. "Jessica Parker, Doktor sir. You might know my grandfather, Malcolm Dawes. He started Dawes Tech, and before that he did a lot of top secret stuff with the government. Actually Dawes Tech still works closely with the Us government. Is Archtech associated with that sort of thing?" She was so star-struck to be talking to someone like Doktor Archeville, her tongue went running away from her.

At first Estelle was quietly annoyed when the German uber-genius moved on to other guests, but she certainly couldn’t begrudge a host his duties; however much to her relief, Vivian seemed to visibly relax as soon as he was gone.

"It's always so difficult around the host, you know? Especially when you were not actually invited. You don't think I'm too overdressed, do you?"

Estelle's smile became a bit friendlier as she shook her head slightly. "Not at all...well, a little bit. Technically, that's eveningwear." She indicated her own outfit with a wave of her free hand. "It's traditional to wear lighter colors early in the day, especially in the summer. But as my mother used to say, you can pull of virtually any outfit with enough confidence and poise." She shrugged. "So act like you own the place, and who knows, you just might start a fashion revolution." ;)

"Doctor de Havillan! Ve just got anozher chemist!"

Estelle beamed and held her glass aloft. "Excellent news, Herr Doktor!" She inclined her head in the new arrival's direction. "I'd be happy to speak with you, sir, at your convenience, of course."

Vivian turned to look in the same direction as Estelle when Dr. Archeville called out. Oh. My. Gods.

"No way. It can't be. It can't be him." She spoke softly, so only Estelle could hear. Then she raised her voice and called across the room. "John?" She waved at the apparent chemist. Lowering her voice once more she spoke mostly into her glass, explaining, "We went on a date a little while ago."

I know something I can't tell, I can't tell. I know something I can't tell. Vivian insides were splitting with laughter. She hid it from those around her with a good deal of success, but she wasn't able to suppress the broad smile which spread across her face.

"Ah, I do indeed know of your grandfazher, frau Parker," Archeville replied to Jessica, "dough I haff not yet had de pleasure of meeting mit him. ArcheTech is involved in some government vork -- American und ozhers -- mostly legacy projects from de ozher companies it vas built from, such as Darts, Inc. I do believe Dawes und I haff even bid on a few of de same projekts, mostly communications equipment. Vill he be joining us today?"

There are a lot of blondes here! I need more variety!

I suppose I should be grateful that their hair color is the only thing you are noticing.

What, you think I'd touch any of these kids? They'd be useful to me in five, six years, but now, they're too addled with hormones and, well, being naive kids.

He glanced over at other attendees, ones he had not yet greeted, and gave Jessica a slight bow. "Do excuse me; de duties of a host are never done!"

The Doktor resumed moving about, now towards Dr. Volk and her bodyguard/guest/project, Victory. Along the way, he 'accidentally' bumped into Professors Fried and Quill, interrupting the droning Liebniz and giving the two a chance to escape.

"Hello, Doctor Volk -- so good to see you again," Archeville greeted her warmly, especially in such improved conditions! Haff dings at AEGIS gotten back to normal since I vas last dere?" He turned and offered his hand to the cyborg next to her, "hello, welcome! If I had known you vere coming, I vould haff reserved a larger space for us!"

Shiny!

I do hope they were able to get the neural feedback problems worked out. I would hate to think of him standing there in constant pain from glitchy interfaces!

That could be used as a good compliance system...

Before Archeville got to the two from AEGIS, they had decided to stop by the food table, with Dr. Volk grabbing up a small plate of fruit. Victory, for his part, politely declines, as he still sees himself as being there to do a job, despite the very little bodyguarding he actually has to do at an event like this. As they were turning away from the table, they find Dr. Archeville there to greet them.

Dr Volk shifted the plate to her left hand as she greeted their host. "Ah, hello, Doctor Archeville! This is quite a meeting you've arranged." Popping a grape into her mouth quickly, she chuckles after his question. "Well....to a certain degree of normal, I suppose. I just regret that we weren't able to get Victory ready in time to help..." She gives a small sigh, but then shrugs. "But we got everything back to normal capacity again, so I suppose it's alright."

When Archeville offered his hand, a sharp ear might hear a slight movement of mechanics coming from inside Victory's hand and arm. He greets the doctor with a smile, and is careful not to put too much into his grip, but enough for it to still be quite firm. "Nothing to apologize for, Doctor. It's an honor for me just to be here. I have heard a great many things about you, and I'm glad to get the chance to meet you face-to-face." A second or two after he says that, he chuckles a bit. "Besides, if that was because you'd like a demonstration, I doubt you'd ever find a place big enough to rent out."

John strode across the room, cane clacking on the floor as he did so. Hope no one realises it's actually a collapsible staff, but you never know nowadays. Doc probably knows. "Herr Doktor," he acknowledged with a nod. Unlike many, he actually respected Doktor Archeville, for doing all he'd done without having any superpowers. Sure, he didn't have the same skill set, but it didn't change the fact he was still a very skilled man.

Estelle beamed and held her glass aloft. "Excellent news, Herr Doktor!" She inclined her head in the new arrival's direction. "I'd be happy to speak with you, sir, at your convenience, of course."

John held out his hand. "John Fraser, ma'am. And you are?" He was aware that, despite having tried to dress properly for the occasion, he was probably still villainously unshaven and had large bags under his eyes. He'd had a busy night the night before, but still... no sense in not keeping up appearances.

He turned to acknowledge Vivian. Well, this is awkward. Also, I had no idea she was into science. "Uh, hi, Vivian. I had no idea you were interested in science, I must say."

"Hi, John." Vivian smiled, and gave him a small wave. She still liked him. She noticed that his reaction sounded forced, Oh please don't let this get awkward.

In an attempt to fix things, she hugged him when he got closer, giving him a big squeeze. "I had SO much fun the other night." she smiled at him, and answered his question, "Science isn't my thing. History, and reading is. After a while, you read all the good books about actual history and have to move on to speculative history. Dr. Archeville's written a great many things about the sciences of the past. What was, and could have been, and all that." She twirled her hand in the air, as she prattled off a few subjects. Suddenly she paused, "You look so uptight! Is something the matter?" she asked, genuinely concerned.