Meanwhile, at the Guardians Mansion!

A Saturday in the middle of January, 2024

A nice and cold day with a clear sky, in one of the nicer neighborhoods in Bayview

Charlie had promised to be in touch after the Young Guardians had dealt with the Conqueror Worm. That had not gone entirely as planned, but then again, he hadn't really planned on revealing he was back until he found out what was happening to Muirne. And hey, they had found Ghule like that, so... win/win, right?

So, Charlie had kept in touch. Texting, letting the others know something was coming up, and then, a few days ago, he asked everyone else to come meet up here. Shift of course already knew. She had been helping him set all this up, after all... and it was finally ready.

He is standing in front of the door of the stately mansion, wearing a thick winter jacket, though he keeps it open. He honestly can't wait to see what the others have to say about all this. Sure, they might not all have forgiven him for just disappearing like he did, but this will hopefully help. 

"Soooo... I know the others aren't here yet, but what do you think of the place?" he asks Bernie, turning to look at her with a grin. He hadn't told her exactly what it was for yet. He wants to surprise her too.

Edited by RocketLord
  • RocketLord changed the title to Meanwhile, at the Guardians Mansion!

Multi-Girl

Bernadette had just finished putting on her puffy winter jacket as she made her way outside to where Charlie was waiting. Looking around once again as she went, the Irish teen responded, "I mean, what can I say, its amazin,' I look forward ta gettin' ta see more than I already have." She gave him a sly smile as she came to stand next to him outside as they waited for the others to start to arrive.

"I will admit, me curiosity is killin' me. Though, I might be a wee bit disappointed if this turns out ta just be ya gettin' us all together fer the weekend ta party at the home o' some family that is out o' the country or some such. Would be fun an' all, but seems a bit beneath ya."

Ghule

"Okay, so the fare is ten...and here's a tip, thanks." Ghule said as she hands the money to her cab driver. She requested the driver drop her off several blocks away from the manor, so the others wouldn't see her arrive. It was best that they didn't know her financial situation, or anything, as far as that was concerned. She didn't know them, and she was wary of anyone inviting her to a lavish mansion. What could they want? The last time she trusted someone (very recently!) she was mind-controlled and forced to fight! This meeting was strictly to scout out the other heroes...even though Multi-Girl seemed pretty cool.

She wore her "best" clothes, which meant the newest outfit she could scrounge from Goodwill. Her death meant that she couldn't have a bank account, or a credit card, but she managed to save up some cash from doing odd jobs for people who didn't ask a lot of questions. She wore a secondhand grey lapel collar overcoat in slate grey, a great find to be sure, over a lighter grey turtleneck, and nice blue jeans. Though she no longer felt the cold, there was something comforting about wearing winter clothes when it was cold out. 

She walked up to the mansion, and paused as she marveled at the sheer size of the place. Her parents could not have dreamed of a house so opulent. Nice digs, she thought, and smiled a bit when she saw Multi-Girl. "Hey there, M." she said with a slight smile, waving at her. 

Charlie, however... "Thanks for inviting me," she said as she stopped near where the two were talking. "But, how'd you get my number? I don't exactly have a fanpage on social media." she said, subtly narrowing her eyes.

Shift

No one really questions the presence of a snowman on lawn in winter time, although those more familiar with this house might have wondered who was young enough to make it. He was quite jolly looking, with a red and green scarf and features made of the traditional carrot, twigs and lumps of coal.

However soon the truth was revealed; the festive figure began to spin around in a spiral, whirling and shifting to form into an attractive young woman with light skin and a big mass of curls, arms spread wide in greeting.

"Surprise! Welcome, my friends! Come and see what Charlie and I built together!"

Shift's smile and enthusiasm were fairly infectious.

Edited by Heritage

Another day of Charlie being back, another strange invitation... 

I guess I'm gonna get accustomed to this. 

At least this time it was much less ominous than the note he had found leading to that damned warehouse. 

Whatever.  

The place was just a short jog away from home anyway, well, one that would have probably be taxing for a human, but then again he was not. 

Despite still being winter time, the young man had paid little attention to the weather and he was in fact clad, as usual with sweatpants, athletic t-shirt and a baseball cap. 

The mansion admittedly came a bit of a surprise. It could probably fit the entire area of the trailer park he grew up within inside, couldn't it?

"Whoa. Chaz, I didn't know you were so freakin' loaded." Luke smiled warmly as he saluted his friend with an energetic pat on the back. 

"Ladies..." He bowed his head to Bernie and Ghule.

"You're a sight for sore eyes."

The sudden appearance of Shift did manage to startle him a bit though. I should have figured out that Chaz wasn't a snowman kind of guy. 

"Hey..." He protested, but the wide and warm smile on his lips suggested that he was far from offended. 

"Sure I'd love a tour... But first I need to do something important..." He grinned and than leaned in and gave Shift one of his trademarked bear hug. 

"Didn't have the time for this at the warehouse..."

"I missed you, you know... I... Couldn't even find you with my... well instinct... I always know where my friends are, but It didn't work... You got me scared sick..." He added, the same happened with Muirne, although Chaz presence has still been there, even during his absence, the fellow hero didn't want to be found anyway.

"And you too by the way..." He continued addressing Chaz... "You got a bear hug coming as well." He made it sound almost like if it was a threat.

The STORMCROW

Charlie gives Bernie a wide smile, turning so that his front is to her while he walks backwards towards Ghule. "When have I ever disappointed you, aside from the whole disappearing act?" He holds his arms out to the sides as he smiles as Bernie, before he turns around and instead moves to approach Ghule. He nods and grins at Luke, who has moved on to Shift, responds to the bear hug promise or threat with "Wouldn't miss it, buddy," before he reaches Ghule, standing a few few in front of her.

"Sooo, yeah. The number." He keeps grinning. He is obviously happy about the situation so far, even if it isn't everyone there yet. "I was trained by some of the world's greatest detectives. A number is one of my easiest tricks, but, that's not really the important bit here. Right now, you are. See, when we crashed Casanova's party, you were an unknown. I didn't know you were there, didn't know you were anything more than the regular people that Casanova bossed around, and then, when everything went to hell, what did you do? You fought like hell to do the right thing and stop the Conqueror Worm. And, y'know, I think that counts for something." He looks around at the rest of them. "So, I looked you up, and you're supposed to be dead, which I guess that's where the whole Zombie Queen bit comes from, right? You wanted to do good, you got killed for it, now you're back, and you've been on your own." He pauses for just a moment.

"So, how about joining up with us? You don't need to answer yet or anything, I'm gonna give the grand tour and tell everyone all about it once everyone's here."

Multi-Girl

Bernadette gave Charlie a small smirk as he mentioned his disappearing for over a year, but did not say anything more. She had been very clear to him at the League’s holiday party, she was putting that in the past and did not need to know anything about why it had happened.

"Hey Ghule." She said with a wide smile and small wave to the other girl, before looking over as Shift revealed herself and came over, the group quickly joined by Luke. "Hey Shift, Luke."

As Charlie finished his little speech, the redhead walked up to stand next to him facing Ghule. "He can be really nosey, but he can' quite help it." She said, giving Charlie a little hip check.

"But puttin' that aside, it's not every day ya find someone throw inta tha middle o' a chaotic situation like the other night an' is ready ta step up ta do somethin' about it. Even though we had just met, I felt ya had me back in the middle o' all that, so hopin' ta return the favor."

Paper

A dry voice carried from the door.

“So he’s trying to sucker someone else in?”

Leon leaned in the open doorframe and took a bite from an apple. He wore his best unimpressed face. Apparently, the ex-thief had slipped into the house before the Ghule and Luke had arrived.

After the warehouse, it was obvious to anyone that Leon’s opinion of Charlie was strained, at best. It was clear he was trying his best to stay civil. Watching everyone else accept Charlie’s return with open arms just seemed to aggravate him even more. Leon made a noise of disgust before taking another bite and turning away.

“Let’s get this over with, rich boy.”

7 hours ago, RocketLord said:

"Sooo, yeah. The number." He keeps grinning. He is obviously happy about the situation so far, even if it isn't everyone there yet. "I was trained by some of the world's greatest detectives. A number is one of my easiest tricks, but, that's not really the important bit here. Right now, you are. See, when we crashed Casanova's party, you were an unknown. I didn't know you were there, didn't know you were anything more than the regular people that Casanova bossed around, and then, when everything went to hell, what did you do? You fought like hell to do the right thing and stop the Conqueror Worm. And, y'know, I think that counts for something." He looks around at the rest of them. "So, I looked you up, and you're supposed to be dead, which I guess that's where the whole Zombie Queen bit comes from, right? You wanted to do good, you got killed for it, now you're back, and you've been on your own." He pauses for just a moment.

"So, how about joining up with us? You don't need to answer yet or anything, I'm gonna give the grand tour and tell everyone all about it once everyone's here."

Ghule was speechless, and in fact, she stood there for a moment, and blinked once. Twice. "Wait, you want me to join your team? I mean, I don't - you don't - you don't even know me yet, and you're offering me a spot on your team?!"

She clenches and unclenches her fists, and it's obvious to anyone observing the conversation that she is struggling for words. She stammers a bit more, then starts talking: "Stormcrow? Charlie? Whichever you prefer. You're being so nice to me. You all are! And I'm not used to that. I grew up with nothing, and even after I died, I still have nothing. I was always a few late rent payments from sleeping out on the streets, and now you all are...I dunno. You're being friendly, and I don't know how to handle that!" 

She looks and sees everyone staring at her, and it's clear that if she was capable of blushing, her face would be bright red. "But yeah, duh, I'll join your team. This is...it's just the nicest anyone has ever been to me, and I just keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. But there isn't one. So...what I'm trying to say is..." She gulps, and lets out two words that are the most difficult for her to say: "Thank you. You all saved my ass back there from that piece-of-crap Shields, and the Conqueror Worm too. So you're all friends of mine, far as I'm concerned. There, I said it." 

Shadowborne 

Muirne stepped out of the Schattenwelt with a small ripple of shadows and a quiet thwump. She was slightly out of breath having run to the mansion after finishing a catch-up test for the year she'd mostly missed.

She wasn't blind to the tension in the air as she arrived, an awkward grin playing across her face. "Hey guys, sorry I'm late."

Shift

The hug from Luke catches Pol off-guard, and her smile freezes on her face; she felt a painful longing stab through her lower torso, and she couldn't explain why. She only knew that she desperately wanted him to hold her again, even though she knew it would be the end of her.

"It's...good to see you, too," was all she could stammer.

When Leon appeared in the doorway, radiating hostility, Shift took a few steps towards him, her head cocked to one side. "That's interesting. I disappeared with no warning for over a year as well, but you aren't angry at me, Leon. Why do you treat Charlie and I so differently?"

Edited by Heritage

Paper

Leon paused mid bite to turn and regard Pol over his shoulder. He finished his bite, chewed bit and swallowed as he looked at her.

“I’ll be brutally honest kid. We passed in the halls at school a few times. We weren’t friends.“

His eyes flickered to Charlie.

“Not that I had many of them to begin with, but you didn’t start something and then walk away from it.”

Leon turned fully back to the group and leaned against the frame again where continued eating his apple.

The STORMCROW

Charlie smiles at Vik. "Give it a shot, alright? At least, you'll have a place to crash."

He has felt the tension change, though, with Leon making his entrance from inside the mansion. Muirne arrives. She can obviously feel the sudden tension too. Pol, after recovering from Luke's hug, tries to defend Charlie, but Leon obviously isn't having any of it.

Charlie stares back at Leon, his eyes focus, his brows furrowing. He does not seem to be happy with the comments in any way. 

And then, he speaks, and his expression softens.

"You're absolutely right, Leon. I did suddenly vanish without a word. It wasn't how I wanted to go, and I didn't want to stay out of touch for that long, but it was something I had to do." He doesn't make any move to get closer to Leon or anyone else. "I know that there's been a lot of differences between how you and I have been doing things, but as much as I have bent and broken them, there's rules to working within the framework that I have. You don't get to work with the Raven or learn from all the past Ravens without following those rules: When the Raven tells you to go, you go." He looks around at the others too. "Almost all the time I've been gone, I have spent abroad with the Raven, doing my best to chase down the House of Usher. Every. Single. Member. If just one got away, they would start all over." He looks back to Leon. "You remember the House of Usher, right? They had fingers in pretty much everything here, and they were just going to make everything worse if they had their choice. I got back months ago, but honestly? I was scared to go and meet you, in case you would react like, well, this. I don't blame you. At all. I'm truly sorry for however I hurt any of you for just disappearing like that, but I couldn't stay away when I found out that Shields had Muirne and others like that, and I wasn't about to try and keep that secret from the rest of you."

He looks around at everyone else, turning to make sure everyone sees him. His normally controlled voice is starting to crack with emotion. He hadn't even told Shift this, during their time working together to design and build this place. Then, he turns back to Leon.

"I know you scoff at my codenames and all that, and taking a new name instead of Nevermore, but with the Raven family, that graduation is a big deal. It means that I get to make my own rules now. I don't have to do what the Raven says all the time, but I got their backing, and that means... I have access to places like this." He gestures around. "I found Pol a few months ago, and we worked together on making this place. Remember all that I talked about us forming our own team, and making it big? This is the start of that. This isn't my place. This isn't my headquarters. It is for us. All of us."

Multi-Girl

Bernadette gave Ghule a warm smile at her rather shocked, but gracious response to Charlie's offer of her joining the team. But then the redhead turned to regard Leon, a slight trace of a frown coming to her face. Leon was clearly not ready to forgive Charlie or even make forgiving him easy. She certainly had felt mixed emotions initially when she had learned Charlie was back but had quickly been willing to put it all in the past.

The Irish teen watched the exchange as Pol stepped in to stick up for Charlie and Leon was bit harsh with dismissing her. Bernadette did give Muirne a nod in greeting as she arrived but was soon focused on Charlie as he responded to Leon and explained why had disappeared and what he had been up to. While she had decided that she did not need to know what had caused Charlie to leave, she appreciated him offering the explanation, particularly for the others.

Stepping back next to Charlie, she took one of his hands in hers. "You know I'm in." She said with a smile before looking back over towards Leon. "After all, if ye are not willin' ta try ta forgive yer friends, where they really yer friends ta begin with?"

While Luke could sense a bit of awkwardness radiating from his robotic friend, he mostly connected it to the sudden reunion and his some-times excessive enthusiasm. "Where have you been all this time by the way?" He asked moments later. 

At first Luke had relaxed seeing how the conversation between Ghule and Chaz had unfolded, she seemed alright after all, plus she had faught valiantly against the Conqueror Workm and his lackey anyway.  "Yeah would be cool to have you by our side... Welcome to the freakin' team..." He smiled warmly and offered her a decise handshake. 

The appearance of his girl certainly did bring a smile to his face. "Hey... Come here you..." He saluted her with a smile. "I was just finished dispensing hugs, but I think I got one more in me...." He grinned ear to ear.

The tune of the scene though changed fast when Leon got involved. Luke uneasily shifted the balance on his feet as he watched the situation unfold. 

"He does have a point, though..." He nodded when his room-mate spoke.  "Chaz... Look. You didn't need to share the entire mission with us, but you could have told us something... " He continued, without anymosity in his voice. "I mean we could have helped if you were in trouble, the both of you..." He added, his gaze shifting towar Shift.

In truth, he kinda could understand them, the life of a superhero was not an esy one and, while he hated doing so, he had found himself having to lie to his little brother about his escapades to help keep him out of troubles.

Whatever.

"You two did score a point or two, though, I can give you that, when you found a certain someone I love and helped kicking the asses of those those two worms..." He 'concede' playfully. "The one with the capital 'W' and the piece of- telepath as well..." 

"I am in, of course..." He nodded at Chaz offer echoeing Bernie. "I mean... as a Guardian... That's not in question..."

"As for this place, it looks f-ing dope, but... I dunno... If that's part of the whole HQ deal, I am not sure I can move in full time... I mean... our landlord had just barely began to tolerate us... I don't wanna break her heart." He joked, although it wasn't hard to guess what might motivate his decision (although there were also definitely perks in having his own place now that his girlfriend was back in town as well...).

"What do you think man?" He added, shifting his attention to Leon.

Edited by Nerdzul

Paper

Leon met Charlie’s eyes without flinching. He can hear the other’s voice nearly crack as they talk, but Leon won’t allow himself to forgive. The venom bubbling up inside him, heated by anger.

Yes, anger at Charlie. But not just him. It was just the latest log on the fire, so it just happened to be sparking the most.

And unfortunately, Charlie was the one he could actually target with it at the moment.

Could he have been nicer to Pol, yes. Should he apologize, also yes. Was he going to admit he was wrong right now, no. Instead Leon bristled, ready to lash out at Charlie again. But when Luke defended his anger, he actually felt a little of the tension release. Having someone else, especially Luke, seeing it from his side made him feel a little better, but he tried to keep his expression controlled. 

Leon was someone with secrets of his own. He could hardly fault anyone else for having them, but the feeling of betrayal was strong.

He glances at Pol again, pausing for a moment. But, being too stubborn to apologize yet, he keeps silent and turns his attention to Luke.

Leon made a noncommittal noise as he tossed his apple core into nearby bushes.

“Too big and about as subtle as a jackhammer. Security system’s legit, almost makes me wish he hadn’t put us in as authorized already.”

He gave Luke a smirk.

“Course, I look forward to finding every door he doesn’t want me opening.”

Shift

In response to Leon's earlier comment, Pol simply nodded. "I suppose that is correct. Classmates are a different classification than allies or friends. My disappearance therefore had little impact on your life. I understand."

When Luke made his inquiry, she could only shrug.

"I was powered down into safety mode when Charlie found me. I'm still not entirely sure why. I looked like this-"

And here the feminine robot collapsed in on herself, folding down to a compact form for a few seconds before once again resuming her prefered form.

"Thankfully a few months ago, I powered back up. Charlie kept me safe in storage, and I awoke inside his home."

Edited by Heritage
On 1/30/2024 at 12:15 PM, Nerdzul said:

At first Luke had relaxed seeing how the conversation between Ghule and Chaz had unfolded, she seemed alright after all, plus she had faught valiantly against the Conqueror Workm and his lackey anyway.  "Yeah would be cool to have you by our side... Welcome to the freakin' team..." He smiled warmly and offered her a decise handshake. 

Vik smiles with uncharacteristic shyness at her teammates, no, more than that...her new friends. She accepts Luke's handshake, and playfully grips his hand tightly, not nearly enough to hurt, but just a hint of her kung-fu grip. "Yeah, you'll have to try and keep up with me, Falkor. Glad to be here." She takes note of Bernie reaching out to take one of Charlie's hands, and self-consciously crosses her arms. Damn. Too bad neither of them are single. 

12 hours ago, Spacefurry said:

He glances at Pol again, pausing for a moment. But, being too stubborn to apologize yet, he keeps silent and turns his attention to Luke.

Leon made a noncommittal noise as he tossed his apple core into nearby bushes.

“Too big and about as subtle as a jackhammer. Security system’s legit, almost makes me wish he hadn’t put us in as authorized already.”

He gave Luke a smirk.

“Course, I look forward to finding every door he doesn’t want me opening.”

She clearly was observing tension that had been simmering for some time. Time to defuse this situation...wow, that barely sounds like me. Seen too many tense situations boil over in juvie though. She takes a moment to pick up the apple core Leon dropped in the bushes. "C'mon Leon, at least have enough respect for Charlie not to litter right in front of him. We all live on the same planet, or whatever."

"Look, I know I'm new here, but maybe we could move this discussion indoors? It might help to at least talk inside, besides I've actually been looking forward to this place out. I brought a twelve-pack of Mountain Dew. It's...Code Red. If that helps. Besides, I'm starving." 

Edited by Lone_Star

The STORMCROW

It's not like Charlie is surprised by Leon's reaction, or Luke's, for that matter. He did just disappear into thin air with no warning. He's apologized, and if that's not enough, then there's not much more he can do. He does appreciate Bernie's hand in his, though, and that Vik stands up for him.

Charlie looks to Luke and shrugs. "Would have if I could, but like I said, there's rules to working with the Raven, especially on something that big. He told me to go radio silent, so I didn't really have a choice."

He looks at Leon, a small grin playing over his lips at the comment about the security system, but doesn't say anything to it, instead just turns and gestures for everyone to follow.

"Don't worry, no one has to live here, but if you want to save on rent, it's there. Otherwise, if you just need somewhere to crash, it's here. And if you want to bring someone along to live here with you?" He pauses, stopping at the door. "If you trust them, then I trust them. Just, y'know, be sure that they know about what we're doing, because I don't feel like we have to keep things secret in here." 

The mansion is, to put it bluntly, massive. Leon is absolutely right about it being too big, but why hold back? Subtle, though? The area is full of places like this. Inside, there is a hallway, which leads further into the building, to a large living room with a giant television, couches, armchairs and a kitchen, along with several fridges and freezers. Charlie has obviously prepared for all of them to live there. Further along, down a number of other hallways, there's the rooms that Charlie mentioned. 

"Pick one, if you want one. It's yours, so do what you want." He already has one, of course, as does Pol. 

"Like Pol said, we built and designed this together. There's a pool outdoors, if you want. Gym, garage, library, a hangar with a jet..." He lets the last bit hang for a bit, while smiling. 

Multi-Girl

Bernadette was glad to see Luke be a bit more accepting of Charlie's return, though still somewhat critical of his failure to at least let them know what was going on. Of course, Charlie responded with exactly what the redhead figured was the reason for Charlie cutting off communication.

As tensions eased somewhat, the Irish teen gave Charlie's hand a light squeeze, then let it go as he began to lead them into the mansion. Although she had already seen some parts, Bernadette was still rather awestruck by the sheer size of the place. Coming from a blue-collar family of Irish immigrants, the house was well beyond anything she had ever expected to see first-hand, let alone be able to visit and eventually live in (once she finished at Claremont).

She remained rather uncharacteristically quiet as they made their way into the house, taking in the various main rooms. It was almost too good to be true, but here it was, and Charlie said was for them to use. Lost in thought, Bernadette almost missed the last bit of what he had to say. "Did ya say there is a jet?" She asked as she focused back on him with a small grin.

Shadowborne 

Muirne weathered the rather tense exchange about Charlie's departure by doing her best to vanish without using her powers, and considered actually doing when the conversation drifted towards what happened with her own disappearance. The events prior to her rescue, and the events of that night spinning around her head as an ouroboros of self-recriminations and hatred for the people who nearly took everything from her a second time. She felt mirrored sentiments from Aoife, and the briefly commiserated over shared feelings of guilt and loathing, only focusing again as they entered the mansion. 

She'd seen places like this before,  Síþwíf Dee's family estate and Breogo Sloane's house in North Bay were both similarly overwhelming. Once again she felt like the fifteen year old who had stared at this building larger than most of her village, for a long moment she is alone again.

Shaking her head she tries to clear the melancholy from her head as she instead responds. "It looks amazing Charlie. How many can stay here?"

Edited by Kaede Kimura

The STORMCROW

Charlie grins at Bernie when she asks about the jet, but he answers Muirne first. 

"Depends on how many people are staying together," he begins, motioning towards Luke. Sure, he might not be the most gung-ho about moving in, but it's not like Charlie is here to play chaperone. "There's 14 personal rooms right now, but there's a bunch of storage rooms that can be converted, if we expand that much." 

Turning back to Bernie, the grins return. "Yeah. There's a jet. Gotta be able to get around, right? By the way, I feel like we should give it a name, any suggestions?"

Paper

“The Paper Plane.”

Leon says without hesitation. A smirk on his face as he produces another apple.

“At least if I need to hide out somewhere, I know where I can lay low.”

He takes a bite of the apple as he walks.

“Or where to go when it’s Luke’s turn to cook.”

Leon teases his friend.

He glances at Charlie.

“And really? If we expand that much? Someone’s overconfident. This ain’t the League. I don’t think we’re gonna have people beating down the doors to join, let alone move in.”

He smirked again. A moment later Leon realizes he sounds more excepting of the idea of being apart of the team still. He quickly looks ahead, putting on a neutral expression and air of disinterest. He takes another bite of the apple.

The STORMCROW

Charlie stares at Leon for a moment at the suggestion, with an almost dead expression in his eyes. He doesn't say anything, he doesn't do anything. He just eventually turns away when Leon moves on.

When Leon states that they're not the League, he grins.

"Of course we're not the Freedom League," he says. His tone has shifted. Before he sounded excited. Now, there's something more. "But, I don't us to live in their shadow. We're not going to be just the junior team or anything like that. We're going to do things our way, whatever that'll turn out to be, and, if everything goes as well as I hope, we'll be better." 

Ambitious, perhaps, but it's not like they have ever known Charlie to be anything but.

Ghule

Simply put, Vik is in awe of the extravagance of Charlie’s mansion. She never imagined being invited in to such a manor, much less being asked to live there! Growing up as she did with barely two pennies to scrape together, this opportunity was overwhelming. 

Vik tries to downplay her enthusiasm, unsuccessfully. “This is pretty impressive, Charlie,” she says, her head

on a swivel as she observes her surroundings. “Of course I’ll take you up on living here, if you’ll have me. I’ll even try to do my share of laundry,” she says with a sly wink. 

Though she was dazzled by the offer, she still had a nagging feeling like the carpet was about to pulled out from under her. Hopefully, in time, that feeling would pass, but for now she pushed it to the back of her mind.

Her stomach growled like a wild animal, and she unconsciously put her hand to it. She needed to eat, and now. But how can I tell my teammates about my…dietary needs? They’ll think I’m something from a Romero movie!!

She walks closer to Charlie, and half-whispers to him “Hey, Charlie? I need to talk with you privately about something. When you have a second, could we talk?”