Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Queenie’s forcefield flicked on with barely half a thought, and she gently placed her muffins down on the closest surface that wasn’t covered in screens or buttons or whatever. She was entirely unaware of her feet leaving the ground as she floated. “Sounds like trouble.” On Earth she’d already be halfway there, but this wasn’t her kitchen Here, she wasn’t head chef. “Paradigm? What you do say? I’m worried about the station’s staff.”

Share this post


Link to post

"if it were they'd not have called upon us." Moth remarked with gusto "moth and friends defenders of the milky way!" He chirped as he returned his station to standard automation and display.

 

"Moth needs some times to calculating the effect on hims portals to avoid dumpling people into deep space, perhapsing prefer to make a more manual approach if times are not allowed rathering than riskying explosive decomposition of devotions hull and damage to equipments?" He reported, saluting the whole way through.

Edited by Exaccus

Share this post


Link to post

Barrier stood by and listened for now, being her stern self. The new information that was coming in certainly wasn't comforting, but then again, Barrier had highly doubted it would be. She hated to make any unprepared moves, but in a situation, it was hard to tell what any of them could do to prepare.

 

"So, you're saying that this was probably orchestrated in some way?" While it was impossible to see under her helmet, those who knew the Lyankan could tell that right now, she was frowning more than usual.

 

She stepped up, towards Galvanic and Flux, having moved her shield from her back onto the mount on her arm. "I agree with both of you. Unfortunately I do not see an option in which we will be able to figure this out without boots on the ground. " , following that by responding to Moth. "Perhaps those of us who are able to should move individually, then. I doubt it is anything but dangerous, but it means we do not risk damaging the Devotion. "

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Paradigm

 

Amara was listening to the information from Sitara and then Professor Quill, none of it was very encouraging.  The Naram gave a small smile as Queenie spoke up.  "A valid concern Queenie, but unnecessary in this case.  This research station has been abandoned since shortly before the Communion destroyed Lo-Van."

 

"But still, beyond the possibility of useful data being within its computers, I find the presence of some other space-time disturbance so close to this singularity worrisome, and would be amiss if we did not make some investigation."  She then continued, looking about those gathered on the bridge, knowing full well that all of them were more than ready to make the trip over to the station.  "But until we have a better idea what might be over there, it would not be wise for all of us to go."

 

"Professor," Paradigm stated, looking over to Flux, "you are familiar with the interior layout of the station and have a unique insight into the phenomena we are dealing with, would you be willing to join several members of my team in going to investigate?"

 

The Naram then looked over to several Praetorians in turn.  "Sitara, I assume you will need to go over to see what you can do to access the station's databanks.  Galvanic, Queenie, I would like the two of you to accompany them as well.  The rest of us will remain on the Devotion to monitor both your mission and the singularity."

Share this post


Link to post

Flux

 

"The whole thing makes me uneasy" replied Quill. He was still existentially nauseated from his non-time in the quantum dark zone. "But I wouldn't miss this"

 

He could hardly turn down this kind of puzzle, this kind of scientific mystery. It attracted him, like a moth irresistably drawn to the flame. 

 

Lets hope we don't get burnt...

 

"Besides, I dare say you might even need me" he said with a smile that was halfway between modest and arrogant. He did know what he was talking about when it came to astrophysics, and his brain was a living sensor array. 

 

"Just...lets be careful, hey?"

Share this post


Link to post

Queenie blinked, a little surprised that no one was on the station. But she was smarter than she seemed, and her brain kicked in. She was still getting her head around the general situation in the galaxy, and it was far from easy to shake her Earth centric mindset. “Oh, right. Lor took a beatin’ then, and that’s the understatement of the day. They haven’t had the time, people, or attention span to check on some little station in the middle of nowhere. Maybe all three at the same time.” She shrugged and turned (spinning with her feet just off the deck) to look at her teammates for the mission. “Don’t worry, Doc. I trust the people who know more than me about a thing, and you qualify for this one. Holler if I’m about to do something dumb. Galvanic? Sitara will have to translate if we get into trouble. My powers help me speak Space, but if I gotta do anything fancy I’ll have to drop that. All right, everybody ready?” She flashed a cheerful grin. “Then let’s save the day.”

Share this post


Link to post

 

The Traveller

Sitara was looking at the data with a different eye to the scientific eye of the other Terran, rather than of an Engineer trying to solve a problem. Besides, there was information they could gather could be important to galactic sciences.

 

“We don’t want to get the Devotion to close in the case the jump engines interfere with the rift, making things much worse. Besides we might be able to use teleporting abilities to seal the rift if needed, though I couldn’t say for sure until I get a closer look at the thing.”

Share this post


Link to post

Paradigm

 

A short while later, the four Praetorians that were heading over toward Lor research station were gathered with Paradigm on the middle deck of the Devotion in the small hanger at the aft of the saucer section of the vessel.  Paradigm looked about the empty hanger for a brief moment before glancing back over toward Traveller.  "We should really look into procuring a shuttle craft like we used to have for situations like this."  She said with a small smile.

 

Glancing over toward Galvanic, Flux and Queenie, the Naram then added, "be careful over there.  We will do our best to monitor you, do not hesitate to call for help if you need it.  Moon-Moth will be ready to try to get more of us over to help get out clear if things go badly."

 

Once everyone had prepared themselves for the vacuum of space, Paradigm moved over and sealed the airlock door to the main part of the ship and opened up with shuttle bay doors to the cold void beyond.  Paradigm's cape whipped around briefly as the atmosphere that had been in the shuttle bay was sucked out, then it began floating in the weightlessness of space as she watched the four individuals exit the Devotion to make their way over to the Lor research station.

Share this post


Link to post

Flux

 

In his (relatively) new costume, Flux could survive the cold hardness of space almost indefinately. And he had no cape to flutter in the zero gravity. Instead, his costume created its own localised gravity. He did not feel weightless, but comfortable. And by the same method, he floated through space on his own gravitational force which propelled him - slowly but accurately - towards the vessel. 

 

Of course, in space, there was no way to communicate via sound. But he could pick up the radio signals and, with some concentration, easily agitate a few choice molecules to emit the correct radio frequencies back. 

 

And all the while, he kept his eyes open. Which, in this case, meant his internal eye too. The one that could pick up all sorts of radiowave emissions. He was a living sensor. 

 

Approaching Station...looks good so far he said via radio transmission. Lets hope it has some kind of atmosphere so we can talk to each other!

Share this post


Link to post

Moon-moth for His part sat in mid air, crunching numbers he could barely fathom himself with his ability to hold contradictory lines of thought nessicary to manipulate space time and making X=Y.

 

Normally he only had to worry about the gravitational pull of the celestial bodies such as planets and black holes but with the quantum anomaly he now had to work with an entirely new variable in which the total mass of the bodies might fluctuate from 0 all the way to their normal amounts as they slipped between fragments of existance. More than enough to give anyone a headache he persisted in his task aided by his new favourite fruit flavoured drink from earth, though he was feeling to distressed for food he found himself eager and able to intake the sugary liquid to aid in his concentration.

 

"....cosmological constants are pain filled." He sighed in complaint to whoever might be listening.

Share this post


Link to post

Galvanic didn't even flinch as the air vanished from the airlock, just casually extending an electrical field around and through herself, floating up above the vertical plane as if it was nothing. Her long coat swished to and fro as she glided towards the exit of the ship.

 

Glancing back at the others, she smirked for a brief moment. This was what she did, and she didn't need to tell any of them that. With a flicker of blue light crackling, she leapt into space and flew towards the anomaly, rapidly moving through space like it was nothing to her.

Share this post


Link to post

Queenie watched them all go. She grinned. She wasn’t a showoff by nature, but sometimes…she shot out of the shuttle bay as if launched from a cannon. Faster, actually. She’d done the calculations (with the help of the internet) a few times, testing how much speed she had. Around 32 and a half times the speed of sound. Any commute is a lot shorter when you’re that fast, even in space. The Ring protected her from all the perils of space just by being on her finger, but she kept her force field up anyway. She kept up the speed (zooming past even Galvanic) and reached the station first. This wasn’t all showing off, either. She wanted to do a quick recon of the outside, too. She wasn’t a structural or any kind of engineer, but if even she could see it they probably shouldn’t go inside. Or at least not stay for long. So, she whipped around the station at Mach 32.5-ish, looking. Man, speed was cool.

Share this post


Link to post

 

The Traveller

Sitara had already deployed her armour and was going through basic systems checks.

 

“Only if I get to build the shuttles myself, we’re not going to use those Lor designs.” she moaned somewhat jokingly towards Amara “You know they don’t know how to make those things properly!”

 

She waited for the others to leave the ship before propelling herself out into the void. They’d probably need her help with the airlocks anyways, shoddy Lor construction notwithstanding.

Share this post


Link to post

Paradigm

 

After the four members of the group heading toward the Lor station were clear of the hanger, Paradigm shut the doors once more and began the process of repressurizing the room while making her way through the airlock entrance back into the central section of the vessel.  Soon she was back up on the upper deck and on the Devotion's bridge.

 

"They are on their way to the station.  Try to keep monitor as best as our sensors will allow with the interference."  The Naram stated to those still on the bridge as she took her seat once more, looking up at the viewscreen and the image of the Lor station beyond.  The small figures of the four individuals sent to investigate the station just visible at the normal magnification of the viewscreen.  For the moment there was little for her to do, other than watch and wait, something she had become more familiar with since taking on the responsibility of the title of Imperatrix. 

Share this post


Link to post

GM

 

The three Praetorians and Flux approached the small Lor station, which was located on one of the larger asteroids in the belt.  As Queenie flew around it briefly while waiting for some of the others to catch up with her, she saw no obvious signs of damage to the station.  Everything seemed intact and in good condition. 

 

As Flux approached, he saw the station looked just as it had when he had briefly stopped here after he had managed to free himself from the singularity.  It was running on minimum power, meaning most of the lighting was currently off, but the main airlock would be operational.

Share this post


Link to post

Flux

 

The Station still looks operational. Running on minimum power. 

 

As he transmitted his findings, Flux floated towards the airlock. He was slightly perturbed by Queenie's speed. A useful trick, but Flux was a cautious man. Speed was all well and good. Caution was better. 

 

He flipped on the automated lock outside the airlock, and pulled it open with a little grunt. He could do many things, but he was not super strong. At least, physically. 

 

Entering the station now. Fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post

GM

 

As when Flux had last visited the station, the main airlock was still functioning perfectly.  Soon the four heroes were inside the station, the outer airlock doors closed behind them.  When Flux had left the station several months ago, he had powered it back down to the minimal level he had found it set on when he had managed to escape the singularity. 

 

There was currently no gravity or life support inside.  However, there was just enough heat to keep the surfaces from icing over and everything appeared to be just as it had been when Flux had last been here.

 

Over on the Devotion, the other Praetorians were keeping as close an eye on the group at the station as they could.  Moon-Moth was focused on the readout from the Devotion's sensors, which could still read the four members of the away party, though there had been a slight fluctuation with the readings when they had first entered the station’s airlock.

Share this post


Link to post

Flux

 

"It is as I left it" commented Flux, scanning the station (and the ambient radio waves) with his remarkable brain. 

 

He floated gently in lifeless environs of the station, his space-costume generating comfortable localised gravity. He had never liked the nausea of zero gravity. The suit compensated magnificently (in his humble opinion!)

 

"Or it seems to be as I left it" he added, a note of caution. 

 

"Bar the spacetime anomaly, of course" he added again. "Which I imagine originates somewhere in the centre of the station. Given the significant danger it poses, and with the presumption that we are not in a screaming rush, I am going to suggest we don't split up to find it!"

 

Besides, he was hopeful that he could try and triangulate a more precise location this close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Queenie was actually the last one in despite being the first one to reach the station. She wanted to be sure it was okay. "Yeah, outside looks fine to me." Then she blinked, genuinely surprised. "Why would we split up? We know where it is, you know the way around. Let's just go." Null gravity had never bothered her. A good chef needs a strong stomach, and Maybelle McQueen's was cast iron. She floated in place, force field glowing. She thought Flux was being a little overcautious. He'd had a bad experience here before, and it was coloring his reactions.

Edited by EternalPhoenix

Share this post


Link to post

 

The Traveller

Sitara turned on her suits lights and scanned the area ahead for potential dangers and barriers to their progress, she’d been in such situations before and probably had the most experience of them all.

 

“Is that something from your Terran media? Because it sounds really dumb to me.” there was a note of humour in her voice

 

“The anomaly isn’t drawing energy from the station so I might be able to restore power to the systems. Unless you want to go straight to the finding whatever is causing this?”

Share this post


Link to post

Flux

 

Quill contemplated the pros and cons of reactivating the stations power. It was, he thought, to close a call to be sure. On the one hand, having the stations power systems was inherently a good idea, as they would have access to its fascilities and research. On the other hand, it was adding an unstable element to the situation. They knew how things where with the power down. Introducing a change in the environment was unpredictable. 

 

However, he though the alien in the armour (at least, he presumed she was an alien, despite looking like a very beautiful woman, in his humble estimation) made a good point. 

 

"If the anomaly isn't sucking the reserve power, then its probably safe to restore power. As long as we do so carefully...."

Share this post


Link to post

GM

 

The four heroes began moving forward into the abandoned station to see about restoring full power to the facility in order to help in trying to access the station’s sensor logs.  However, they had only moved toward the central core of the station, from which the various wings of the facility branched off, when the found a robbed figure floating in the middle of the room facing them.

 

The figure was tall, but completely concealed within its tattered hooded black robe.  No face was visible within the hood of the robe, only a shadowy darkness.  "It would appear you Praetorians again interfere in matters that do not concern you."  It stated in a cold, hollow voice.  As it spoke, Flux and Quennie heard English, while for Galvanic its words were Tempestan, and the Traveller heard Sanskrit.  "Depart this sector and do not return.  This will be your only warning."

Share this post


Link to post

Flux

 

Quill immediately tensed. Robed figures were remarkably ominious, in his opinion. They spoke of horrible cults and machevillian spies. And this only applied doubly for robed figures who faces (if indeed they had any faces) were in darkness. 

 

"I am not a Praetorian" he said, speaking for himself. Although he wondered if he was an honorary one or something. Was he being honest and truthful, or deceptively truthful?

 

"We can't leave without knowing what is happening here" he said, earnestly. "No matter the danger of staying, there is double the danger of leaving without understanding" he summised. 

 

"If you want us to leave, help us understand..."

Share this post


Link to post

“Flux is right, sunshine” Queenie folded her arms and looked at the robed figure steadily. “You can’t just tell folk to go away and expect them to obey like you’re the Almighty or somethin’.” A person sized silvery hand construct put itself between the four and the robed figure. Off center, so both sides could still see each other. “We don’t know who you are for one. And for the other we came here to fix a problem so it didn’t get bigger and threaten defenseless people.” She indicated Flux. “He’s been here before, for a while I guess.” And then Traveller. “And she’s a smart one, so she can help him if it needs it.” Lastly Galvanic. “She and I are just here to get these two out of trouble they can’t get out of on their own. So spill it, big fella. What’s the problem with us being here?” She was the very picture of reasonableness, even with her arms crossed.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...