Moving In – Girls (IC, Open)

Thevshi

Kord Dormitories, Fifth Floor

Claremont Academy, Freedom City, New Jersey

Monday, September 4, 2023

Like the rest of the dormitories, the fifth floor of Kord was a similar scene of controlled chaos involving students and parents. Three eighteen year old girls emerged from the stairwell into the hall of the fifth floor. The three were all identical in appearance, the same, long red hair and dressed in matching jean shorts and green tank-tops. The only difference between them was what each was carrying, with one having a backpack and suitcase, the next only had a large suitcase (which she seemed to lift with minimal effort) and the last carrying a box.

Bernadette O'Connell led two of her duplicates down the hall toward her room for her last year at Claremont, excited to see her friend again. It had been an interesting summer, not the least of which had been her experience at a band competition in Boston. The sooner she got her stuff to her new room, the sooner she could go find her friends and catch up….

Carmen "La Puma Negra"

A solitary suitcase in one hand and a duffel bag in the other, Carmen had scaled the floors up towards her room with, carrying the heavy bags up the stairs without breaking much of a sweat whatsoever. This was the perk of totally rad superstrength that she possessed among other things, ascending up to the fifth floor and making her way to room 504. Now that she was a junior, she could have her own room now, free from anyone bothering her and to do as she pleased. It wasn't like sophomore year hadn't already been spent alone in a room, having chased out the last partner tenant to the point that they asked to be reassigned to a whole different floor.

The whole Summer had been spent in a small clergy home, sponsored by a Catholic church over the Summer. Carmen hadn't been able to go home back to the orphanage in Puerto Rico. The whole time she hadn't really done much, only going out for an internship or working with Patriot. In fact, the action had been light, save for a few creeps she beat up around the neighborhood and that one incident.

"This way," she says, turning once she got to the landing, taking a right.

Though Neko Musume was close to a century old and closer to nineteen years awake than eighteen, the changes in education from her girlhood schooling to Claremont meant that she was here another year yet. That was fine with her; more time to make friends, more time to be famous, and more time to avoid thinking about what she was going to do with the rest of her life. With her single bag over her shoulder, she padded into the senior girl's floor with a toothed smile on her face. Some of her friends were gone by now - not to mention Leon - but there were still people around she knew. Tail thrashing behind her and ears twitching, she was suddenly interrupted by - "Um, excuse me?" She turned her head and spotted a short, round girl she didn't know, a dark-skinned young woman with a plump build and what were distinctly white cat ears in a barrette in her braided hair. "Are you...Catgirl Reacts?" The question was asked with half-disbelieving anticipation, making Neko stop and pay attention. She certainly looked a Japanese catgirl today, wearing a flower-print robe over her pants and shirt. 

"Yes!" she declared, tilting her head. "Who are you?" 

"I'm-oh, I'm your biggest fan!" said the other girl, which was something Neko had heard more than once. "I'm Donna, people call me Pterradonna, because of the dinosaur thing - OMG! I can't believe Catgirl Reacts is a Claremont student!" A very patient Neko smiled for the girl, listening to the sort of praise she'd gotten used to by now from her channel's admirers. This girl was talking about how much the trans community admired her, which was very nice of them - but not really news either. 

Multi-Girl

As she was making her way down the hallway, Bernadette spotted her new roommate for the year, apparently dealing with one of her streaming fans. The Irish redhead turned over towards the Japanese teen, while her duplicates continued on toward her room.

"Hey Neko!" Bernadette said as she came close to the pair. Another of her duplicates appeared beside her, taking the suitcase from the original and heading off down the hall. "How was the summer?"

Further down the hall, the other two duplicates neared the room while one called out to another student they knew. "Carmen! How ye doin'’?"

"Bernadette!" said Neko, eyes lighting up with real pleasure. She quickly introduced the wide-eyed Pterradonna to one of the duplicates - Donna being happy to explain that the name was from her power to turn into a winged reptilian beast from the age of dinosaurs. "And Carmen also! How nice to see you!" She was practically running down the hall as she went, head tilted forward and bag under her arm. "How was your summer?"  

Carmen wasn't alone when she was getting to her floor, and unfortunately for her, if one could call it unfortunate, her room sharing the same relative space on the fifth floor with a certain other feline. Call it plain old genetics or something, but something about Neko grinded her gears, being almost a complete opposite to Carmen, from this extroverted appearing personality compared to her own more introverted to the more outward human like appearance that she had compared to the were-creature that she was. However, it wasn't Neko's voice that made her pause, freezing in place with wide feline eyes, but the Multi Girl as she was called, Bernadette. A call that she hadn't anticipated, just standing loaded with her stuff, awkwardly. 

Multi-Girl

One of Bernadette’s duplicates was more than happy to engage with Donna and listen to the younger teen as she explained her powers. Meanwhile, the original and Neko were further down the hallway with Carmen. "Summer was pretty good, save for an' unintended trip ta another dimension." The redhead replied to Neko. "It looks like we are roomin' together this year."

Bernadette then turned to Carmen. "You okay? Need a hand?" A pair of duplicates appeared behind Bernadette.

"We can help with some o' yer stuff." One of the duplicates offered with a smile.

"You don't mind if I film, do you?" asked Neko seriously. "I will do it when you are out of the room, they won't even know you are there." She was a little nervous as she asked, primarily because keeping her filming from her prospective roommate would only add to the difficulties of what would already be a very challenging year. There was no way she was going to stop, not when the money was paying for - well, for whatever happened when you finished American superhero high school! 

There was a smell of baked goods as a figure bathed in light descended from the skylight, normally kept open for days like this. Luckily the glow of light allowed Rosalind to look a lot more confident than she felt as the hero…

Starshine

Grannie insisted I bring a fresh batch of cookies, be careful they’re straight out of the oven.” floating just above the floor she offered around the massive platter of crescent-shaped cookies “There κουραμπιέδες, butter cookies, though no almonds in this batch though just in case!”

A new year and new start needed baked goods was always Granny's way of thinking, and had insisted Rosalind delivered the cookies before all the important stuff like her books and clothes. But then again her house was mere minutes away at her top speed!

• 2 weeks later...

Mutli-Girl

"Oh, sure, no problem." Bernadette stated as Neko mentioned her filming for her TikTok channel, shrugging slightly with a smile. The Irish redhead was well aware of the other teen's channel, having learned of it not long after Neko launched the channel. "I'll be sure ta keep me duplicates clear when ye want ta record."

The teen turned at the dramatic arrival of Starshine, giving the other girl a warm smile as she took one of the offered cookies. "Hey Rosalind, how was yer summer?"

Carmen "La Puma Negra"

For a few moments, Carmen just sort of stood there, looking painfully forward towards the other students. She remained silent, standing there with her stuff, not accepting the help from Multi-Girl nor turning it down. This was her natural defense, her own silence her camouflage, just standing there, not doing anything and yet somehow whenever attention seemed to commonly be taken away from her was now an inch closer to her new rooms open door. Yes, yes, like a Schrödinger's cat, unobserved and all from what she was taught about that sort of theory, or something like that, she didn't really know.

Well. This is it, decided Neko. Years of rivalry, of hissing at each other in the corridors - soon they were going to be free from the places that Americans in the 21st century kept their teenagers and choosing their own destiny. How long can we keep this up? They were practically women now, depending on exactly how you defined that, and they couldn't keep up such kittenish behavior towards one another foreveer. 

Considering, she gave Starshine a wave and took two of her cookies, then turned and padded towards Carmen, making direct, solid eyecontact with the other catgirl as she left Bernadette and the others behind. Her tail twitched behind her as she went, her ears flattening against the top of her head, her yellow eyes wide and staring as she padded right up to Carmen - and handed her one of the cookies. 

• 2 weeks later...

Such perfect isolation was broken by the fact that Carmen was being finally taken out of the box by Neko. She was now being observed and she could tell, and it had to be her, it had to be Neko. A rival for no reason other than pure happenstance of what they were, underclassman and upperclassman, cat girl and cat girl. Naturally opposing entities directly opposed to one another for no other reason as it appeared. But then, when Neko handed her a cookie, yellow eyes meeting her own, she was broken, just standing there, at a loss for what to say or do.

Neko stared at Carmen, her eyes going wide. She backed up, turning her body sideways, tail going up. Suddenly she ran to the rear of the corridor, feet pounding past the other two girls, and leaped up into the open window at the end of the hall. Crouching in the sill, she chittered loudly before diving out the window. 

Outside, she landed on her feet as she always did and ran over to the nearby tree. With an air of dainty elegance, she sat down beneath the branches and started licking the back of her hand before running it against her poofy white hair. Ugh. I think I blew it again! she thought disconsolantly. 

Quickly, she popped out her phone and began livestreaming. People following Catgirl Reacts got a popup message that quickly turned into Neko, sitting underneath a tree and looking downcast. "Hello, friends. It's my first day of senior year and I am sad." She gave the screen her saddest face, ears flattened on her head, and said "Does anyone have any ideas for how to cheer up...?" 

• 2 weeks later...

Carmen simply stood there, facing a sort of defeat that can only be described in the strangest and most petty of ways, standing there aimlessly in the hall, lips moving partially to voice out a response, but nothing would come out. The young cat woman would watch as the other one ran away down the aisle student dorm rooms. Suddenly, as Neko ran away down the hallway, Carmen could feel her legs feel like gelatin, wobbling before falling over on her face, flopping hard with the rest of her belongings.

She'd just lay there, defeated.

• 3 weeks later...

Rot

As if to prove that no matter how awkward the Kord Dormitories got, things could always get cringier, a new girl floated out of the stairwell into the fifth-floor hallway, looking stressed. Besides flying, she had these huge green dreadlocks and had on a black domino-style mask. The girl was drowning in a several-sizes-too-big loose-woven brown sweater-dress that was full of holes and which had several renegade lengths of yarn actively abandoning the garment and dangling down toward the ground. Clearly not possessing super-strength, she was struggling with what appeared to be two large steel drip pans (like from an auto shop) wedged under one armpit and an army surplus duffle bag held precariously from the other hand by a heavy-gage chain. Both the chain and the pans seemed to be faintly smoking where she gripped them.

The look on her face gave the impression that she was stressed because there were other people in the hallway. Looking down at the cat girl on the floor, then at one, two, three identical redheads, and finally up at the angelic, glowing creature that was everything she wasn’t, the new girl puffed her cheeks up and blew out a little stream of air. “Pfff.”

“Hey. I’m Rot.” Adjusting her grip on the drip pans, she nearly drops them and then grimaces. “It’s best not to get too close, because of . . . weird powers. I’ll just, like, wait here a sec. I’m in 513.” And she nods towards the room further down the hall.

Edited by Huckleberry
typo

No sooner had Rot indicated her door than it opened and an unusual figure stepped out. Her spiky blue hair, nose piercing, and weathered denim jacket looked fit for a punk rock concert; her white labcoat, goggle, and faint air of energy looked more at home in a high-tech laboratory. "Ohh, this is your room?" she said, a look of barely concealed excitement on her face as she padded out into the hallway. "I must...have been confused, yes?" Her accent was heavy, distinctly Northern European, and she was smiling like she was hiding a very large cookie jar under her jacket. She smiled at Rot as she tried to slip around her in the hallway. "It is very nice to meet you. Welcome to Claremont." 

Multi-Girl

Bernadette paused her conversation with Rosalind as Neko and Carmen faced off with each other in the hallway. The Irish teen had half hoped that the two having gotten along toward the end of last school year during a bit of juvenile delinquency. Unfortunately, that hope was quickly dashed as the two faced off and then Neko ran out of the hallway and Carmen fell over.

Letting out a quiet sigh, the redhead glanced over to Rosalind. "This is goin' ta get bloody old fast." She said quietly. She sent out a mental message to one of her duplicates that was elsewhere to try to look for Neko on the school grounds while moving over next to Carmen.

But before Bernadette could ask Carmen if she was okay a new student appeared in the hallway, floating forward before introducing herself with a rather course tone. "Hello…Rot." The teen replied with a distinctly Irish accent. "Sorry we're kind o' blockin' the hall" With a snap of her fingers, the two duplicates standing nearby winked out of existence, merging back with the original Bernadette.

"I'm Bernadette, this is Rosalind and Carmen." The redhead continued, introducing the two other girls in turn.

It was then that a figure stepped out of the room that Rot had indicated was here, Bernadette taking a second look at the figure as she place the blue haired teen. "Eria? What are ye doin' back at Claremont?"

Rot

As the blue-haired girl that had been in her room came toward Consuelo, she instinctively flew back up into the stairwell a bit to keep a little more distance. It was then that she finally lost her precarious grip on the two steel sheets under her armpit.

Pang! Bang! They fell to the hallway floor and bounced around with a terrible racket. "Oh crap. Arrgh. I knew that was going to happen."

"Uh, hi, everyone. I'm Rot. Uh, I guess I already said that. Um, pleasure to meet you?"

"Hey, like no offence to you, Eria, is it? I like literally have to stay almost ten feet away from people or this, um, like 'revulsion field' will like automatically make you hate me. For real."

"Is there, like, any chance someone could help and like carry my, uh, metal sheets into my room for me? I'm kind of having trouble. .. "

Edited by Huckleberry
typo

Eira smiled at Rot and kept sidling by without a care in the world. "Do not worry. I hate everyone - and I'm not people." She seemed to regard the last sentence with particular pride. "I-"  When Bernadette recognized her, Eira's eyes widened as she gave the red-haired girl a startled look. "I...am just visiting, yes?," she said. "You...should help the new girl move, don't you think, ...carrottop?" she asked brightly and a little questioningly. Just when her escape seemed certain, the hallway's fire exit door flew open. At the top of the stairs stood a blonde, sturdily-built young woman with brilliant golden hair, a piercing in her nose, and a white labcoat on. It was clearly Eira; a version of Eira in her twenties, wearing a Claremont visitor's ID badge on a lanyard. 

She hissed something in Swedish at her teenage counterpart, who responded with a rude gesture before hissing at Rot. "You see! This is what it's like! It is a jail for the clever!

"Are you really going to be stupid about this, knowing I remember this entire conversation?" spat the older Eira in reply. That got her what sounded like an extremely rude remark in Swedish from her counterpart, who said "FINE" before storming back into the empty room. 

The older Eira ground her teeth with a sound like steel rubbing on steel before she said, "Ah, hello - Bernadette, and friends. You must be new," she said to Rot. "Do not worry. She will be gone in a moment once she reverses the polarity of the machine. So are you enjoying campus?" she asked solicitously.

Multi-Girl

Bernadette frowned slightly at Eria’s comment to her. "Carrottop?" She muttered with irritation. But the redhead kept the reply she wanted to make to herself as a pair of duplicates appeared near her again. "Not as if I wasn' goin' ta help." She stated as the duplicates picked up Rot's metal sheets with a smile, but the smiles faded slightly as they were near her.

The duplicates then took the metal sheets Rot had been carrying into the younger girl's room. Perhaps moving a bit quicker than they needed to.

The original Bernadette meanwhile was a bit surprised by the appearance of the older Eria, glancing back over at the younger Eria, who was, now that the redhead thought about it, acting much more annoying than she remembered Eria being. "Umm, good ta see ye as well Eria." She replied, nodding towards the younger version. "Who is this?"

Starshine

Rosalind had been telling about her holiday back in Greece, with an almost exciting encounter with some European supers, when everything started kicking about. She’d been pretty distracted last year, and apparently missed some drama, she’d have to try and catch up what with her being Senior and all!

The Braclet’s chripped what apparently a warning about the newcomer, though Rosalind decided to ignore it this time around.

No, she seems nice!” she whispered to the Bracelet before floating forward and offering the slightly diminished tray of cookies.

Hi, nice to meet you have a cookie!”

Rot

A lot was going on in this crowded hallway, and Consuelo was starting to get really stressed out that her new dorm neighbors were going to get affected by her powers. Head on a swivel, she prayed against hope that no one would get too close.

“Uh, sorry about almost dropping my pans on you Carmen. Yeah, thank you so much, Bernadette,” Bernadettes? “Wow, okay, um Old Eira, so, like what is ‘the machine’ in my room? That seems maybe important, and also, um, you wouldn’t happen to also be a robot too?” This last question has an odd hopeful note in it.

As Rot talks to the older-looking incarnation of Eira, she floats up slightly closer. Having been on campus for a grand total of twenty minutes, Consuelo has no idea what a real Claremont visitor’s ID badge looks like, but she takes a good look at this one, anyway. All these Eiras appearing at once is, like, way too many coincidences happening at the same time to not mean anything.

Her attention momentarily fixed on upstairs Eira, Consuelo doesn’t notice the well-meaning, glowing cookie-giver floating up until she’s almost right on top of her. “Ah! Hi! Um, wow, it’s like, dangerous to get too close to me. Um, but . . . thanks?” And she takes a cookie.

OOC @ Getting Too Close

Spoiler

(-5) Untouchable: Consuelo’s powers render her touch or even close proximity repulsive. An NPC (or PC maybe too?) that physically touches her with no more than clothing between shifts 2 attitude categories towards Hostile (DC 10+Rot’s PL Will Save to resist). Even being within Rot’s PL in feet close to her results in a 1 attitude category shift towards hostile (Same Will Save to resist). This has no effect on constructs or undead.

(-2) Why we can’t have nice things: Objects that Consuelo contacts for an extended time (clothing, chairs, mattresses, spacesuits, etc.) slowly decay away. Cumulative damage to the object is resolved as being hit by a Corrosion attack of Rank equal to the number of hours of contact, divided by 3, up to her PL. She has a super suit that redirects all this damage to sacrificial material touching the suit (usually a cloth wrap) over the course of 16 hours. Without the sacrificial material, even the super suit would soon be worn away. The suit provides no protection for other objects she touches, just the super suit itself.

Relieved to talk about herself and not her doppleganger for a moment, the older version of Eira said agreeably, "That is right." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a business card, which she handed off to Rot with the air of one who had done so many times. The card, made of a stiff, sturdy stuff that wasn't quite paper or plastic, displayed the contact information for KATASTROFF CONSULTING, a small business elsewhere in Freedom City. "Though professionally, I am a scientist and engineer. If you are ever looking for a part-time job, I have all sorts of uses for Claremont students." She smiled winningly, showing off perfectly white teeth. 

There was a flash and buzz from the other room; and closer inspection revealed that it was now completely empty, just a typical abandoned dorm room. "There, the machine is gone, there is nothing to worry about, yes?" said Eira, a little too cheerfully. "Do not worry, it will not appear in that space again - she knows that it's not vacant." She considered a moment, then handed out copies of her cards to everyone. "If you happen to see her again, please give me a call and I will get rid of her. No, ah, no need to make a disciplinary issue out of it," she added, even though it was hard to say what threat a high school had for a woman in her early twenties. 

Multi-Girl

With the strange younger version of Eria now gone, the two duplicate Bernadettes made their way into Rot's dorm room, setting the two metal sheets onto one of the empty tables before making their way out and heading down to Bernadette and Neko's room to do some unpacking.

Meanwhile, out in the hallway, the original Bernadette took the card Eria offered her and glanced at it a moment before sticking it into a pocket of her jeans shorts. "Umm, thanks Eria. We'll be sure ta call ye if the younger version o' yerself turns up again."

The Irish teen then focused back up on Rosalinda and the younger newcome. "So…Rot. Ye got another name? Or ye really wantin' us ta call ye that all year?"