Winter 2023

The elderly Asian man in the jean jacket and denim slacks might have attracted attention if he'd come into the liquor store any earlier, but it was late at night and the middle-aged clerk was obviously ready for his shift to end. He smiled at the clerk and placed the liquor and cigarettes on the counter. "Nice weather, we are having today." 

The man grunted, looked at his ID 'sorry sir, gotsta check everybody these days', then glanced at his security camera feed suspiciously for a moment before shrugging and accepting the older man's money. Still smiling, he walked outside with his bags under one arm, then walked out of view of the liquor store and into the darkness of the poorly lit streets of Greenbank. 

In between one step and the next,  he blended away and vanished, replaced by a petite Japanese teenager whose ears and tail weren't visible at the moment, her clothes now a warm wool jacket and too-large slacks. She found her friends waiting for her at the edge of a nearby alley. "It was easy," she said, cooly handing her bags to Leon. They'd wound up bringing a curious bunch along for this evening out, Leon and Luke, the best of friends, Multi-Girl who she hadn't really gotten to know well despite the year they'd spent in each other's company, and of course - Carmen. "Nobody around here," she added confidently. 

Multi-Girl

Bernadette O’Connell was standing to one side of the group, her hands tucked in the pockets of the black New England Revolution hoodie she was wearing. The redheaded Irish teen was wearing a pair of dark jeans along with grey cross-trainers. Over the last year Bernadette had learned a lot about controlling her abilities and become more comfortable with using them and the entire “superhero” thing, even if she still felt slightly out of place.

The redhead gave a nod to Neko as the Japanese teen rejoined them. "Ah have a pair o' copies a few blocks out. They haven' seen much either." Bernadette stated with her slight Irish accent.

"Neat." Luke grinned as he saw Neko and gave her a playful high-five, while wondering what Owain would think about their little 'victimless crime'. Whatever. It was late at night, in Jannuary, but that hadn't prevented Luke from keeping his regular, sleeveless white t-shirt and faded jeans combo, together with his battered sneakers and ballcap. Perks of being a supernatural creature in disguise, the risks of catching a cold were limited at best. 

"Did you get everything?" He snopped at the pack of goodies that Neko had managed to get from the liquor store. Himself, Luke was no smoker (well... not exactly), didn't fit with his pre-superhero ambition of making something of himself through sports, but certainly he did not disdain a drink or two.

"Awesome." He smiled at Multi-Girl. "Besides, It's not like anyone seeing us is gonna be a problem." He added, with a cocky grin on his lips, yeah, with their combined powers, it was not like a stray cop was exactly hard to bamboozle anyway. 

"So where are we headed people?" He continued enthusiastically. Himself he had a few places in town that he knew were going to be free to hang out and if push comes to shove, he could whisker everyone to his own private pocket-realm, although, well, getting shit-faced while within his own mindspace, yeah, weird things could happen.

"You were brilliant."

Leon grinned as slipped around Neko and drew her into a hug from behind, giving her a kiss on the cheek as he held her.

He looked from Luke to Bernadette and smirked.

"Charlie would be so disappointed in us."

He chuckled, referring to their 'Young Guardians' teammate.

"Always nice to have an extra set of eyes or two."

Leon nodded to Bernadette.

"Could'a used someone like you a couple times."

"Plenty of empty buildings around."

He offered at Luke's prompt.

"Or the old railyard."

Carmen

"You've got my cigarettes, been wanting to get my hands on some," the woman towards the back of the group spoke. She was seemingly even more covered up for the weather, not that she had to as it acted mostly as disguise to hide her true looks the best that she could do with a Claremont jacket and a dark grey hoodie underneath. The only time she had worn jeans as well, the young catwoman wanting to be discrete as they want about their rather unlawful activity. Back at the dorm, placed underneath a few slightly ripped blankets was several pillows made to look like her slumbering form in the most primitive of ways possible.

Walking over to the rest of them, she'd put a hand to her hip. She wasn't always on the best terms with Neko, but she got the job done.

Neko always seemed to have a slight smile plastered to her face, especially when she was meeting new people. She was smiling now - and showing her teeth. She tossed Carmen the pack of cigarettes she'd asked for, without the judgement most people their age might have had. It didn't surprise her that a city girl like Carmen smoked, but she didn't view it as a bad habit the way everyone else around them did. 

"Do they need -" she asked Multi-Girl, pointing to the beer bottles. She didn't know very much about the duplicates but she had bought a lot of beer, at least by her own reckoning. She'd heard Irish people liked to drink, so who knew? 

"Some place dark." she said to Leon, smiling as she slipped her arm inside his. Her big yellow eyes reflected the streetlight above with a feline glow, the four teens alone for the moment in the Greenbank street.

Multi-Girl

Bernadette gave a small smile in return to Leon’s comment about Charlie likely being disappointed at the petty delinquency the group was engaging in. "What do ye mean 'would?' He will probably know before tha end o' the week."

The Irish redhead did not comment as the fifth member of the group spoke up, asking for the cigarettes Neko had acquired. While Bernadette had seen Carmen around campus, the two had not had much interaction.

The teen's bright green eyes focused back on Neko when she asked about whether any of her duplicates needed any of the alcohol the Japanese teen had brought along with the cigarettes. "Thanks, but they should be fine." Bernadette replied with a smile. "Besides, ah'm not completely shoore what might happen if some o' me duplicates drink an' then merge back with me."

"Or by the end of the night..." Luke chuckled. "Chaz has a way of knowing things." Luke shrugged.

"Maybe the alcohol will compound?" Luke chuckled at the thought, when Bernadette mentioned the risk of getting her duplicate some drink. "Do they need to drink or eat by the way?" He asked

"Railyard it is then. Are we ready to get Wasted!" He continue enthusiastically, a big grin on his lips as he lead the way toward their destination. Now of course, getting a dragon properly wasted was no easy quest, but he was confident that by the end of the night they will succeed. 

Carmen would catch the pack easily enough out of the air, hiding them away in one of the interior pockets of her varsity jacket. She had grown a habit while she still lived in Puerto Rico, hiding it away from prying eyes. It was sneaking them off of crooks or other hoodlums that tried to mess around back home. Of course, now with so many super powered beings, some of which that could read minds meant that dipping back behind the school could be a difficult task all for a lazy smoke.

"Thanks," she spoke without much fanfare for receiving it. She'd scrummage through her pockets for where she kept a small wallet. A small clip of cash was tossed back towards Neko, already having prepped to pay for it. She was more interested in drinking, something that was a bit harder for her to do considering her age. More so given her rather iconic looking look. She didn't feel the talkative type when it came to going anywhere, she didn't know the area still enough to know the best places.

Leon grinned down at Neko, admiring her bright lit eyes.

“I love the way you think.”

He glanced up and snickered at Bernadette’s comment before outright laughing at Luke’s.

“Well then, let’s enjoy it while we can.”

At the question of alcohol and her dupes Leon smirked at Bernadette..

“Now that sounds like something I’d like to see.”

He laughed and glanced at Carmen. She was a girl of few words, but she was trustworthy. She just needed to loosen up a bit.

“To the rail yard then.”

Greenbank's railyards were just busy enough that there was no profit in shutting them down - but not busy enough to be very populated this late at night. It was easy enough for the teens to make it over the rear fence, Neko climbing up the side nimbly before vaulting over the barbed wire at the top, landing silently and on her feet on the other side. There were a few security guards but it was easy enough, between the four of them, to give them all cover as they made their way out to an old wooden-walled warehouse that had seen better days. 

"Perfect," said Neko as she hopped up under shelter of an overhanging metal awning. She perched there for a moment, then said "We need...kanpai." Not terribly interested in American beer, which was by all accounts terrible, she had taken something for herself, and so produced a small bottle of what Raina had called 'airplane sake'. She pulled the lid off the bottle with her teeth, then raised it high to clink against the other bottles as the others allowed before tossing her head back for a drink. 

Multi-Girl

"That might be tha case, but ah'm not so sure. I mean, if one o' me duplicates does a lot o' physical exertion an' merges back with me, I don' get more tired." Bernadette commented when Luke asked whether merging with an intoxicated duplicate might compound the alcohol in her system. "They typically aren' around long enough ta get hungry, but when I have practiced lacrosse with some duplicates, they certainly get thirsty an' drink water." The Irish teen then added.

When the group reached the railyards, Bernadette easily leapt over the rear fence, landing gracefully on the other side, if a bit louder than Neko. Following along with the group, the redheaded teen took one of the bottles of beer and popped off the cap with her hands before clinking it against Neko's offered cheer and taking a drink herself.

"Got it... I mean, it's not like I have to eat like an actual bus-sized lizard either..." It was pretty much supernatural stuff, magic or otherwise. "Well... almost..." He chuckled. "It's a pretty cool gift though." He smiled. 

The abadoned rail yard fence had never really been an obstacle for Luke even before getting superpowers and certainly it wasn't one now that he could easily jump over it without breaking a sweat. 

He snatched a bottle for himself, thanking Neko with a bow of the head and a mischivious smile. "Cheers people!" He clinked his drinl  with whoever wanted to.

"Now what to do... what to do..." He looked around.

"I mean it's not like we can just drink out the night... and we do have an empty bottle or two... I mean... we are gonna to in a moment..." He added, not before chugging through his own bottle pretty much in one go (the perks of having the stamina of the aforementioned bus-sized lizards).

"Spin the bottle?" He suggested.

(OOC hehe I dunno if the game is called like that in English, or it's just something like "truth or dare")