Friends in the Fens

Kaede Kimura

Neko/Owain  

"We met through school," said Owain cheerfully. "You need not fear that we are corrupting the morals of your sister," he said, "she is a fine young woman of good morals." 

Relieved that everything was good, suddenly growing nervous about her cargo, Neko twisted the bag she'd bought up so that it wrapped around her fingers, then padded over to join the group. 

"Hiiii," she said, coming over and all but sitting on Leon's lap. "I am Neko Musume, a pleasure to meet you." She looked very much like a normal girl as she said, "We are just here for the party." 

Paper

Leon grinned. He opened his mouth to say something, most likely something wholly inappropriate, but Owain beat him to it. 

On 1/31/2024 at 3:49 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

"We met through school," said Owain cheerfully. "You need not fear that we are corrupting the morals of your sister," he said, "she is a fine young woman of good morals." 

“Not that we aren’t trying, mind you. But she’s being stubbornly good.”

He chuckles as Neko rejoins the group. Leon brightens up as he slips an arm around his girlfriend.

“And party we shall.”

He smiles at her.

"Indeed we are no threat to anyone morals..." Luke smiled mischievously echoing Owain. "... Not at all..." Somehow his voice didn't sound that convincing though.

"And what about you man? I mean... you're here to party as well, or were you keeping an eye on your sister?" He added shortly thereafter.  He kinda could understand if that was the case, after all he did check on his younger brother from time to time, but then again, while Gabriel was a smart kid, he did not have superpowers and he was much younger than Alice. Although, to be honest, he wasn't really sure that his big brother instinct would go away anytime soon... 

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting Star and Steel Shade 

Alice had continued to try merging her forehead with the table as her brother spoke to the trio, although she did groan when he asked if he needed to give a shovel talk. Aaron" meanwhile smiled amiably as Owain assured him of his sister's virtue, before greeting Neko warmly. "Aaron Armstrong, Alice's brother. So you kids went to Riverview High? Man when I went there I hoped every day that some pyrokinetic would burn that place down. So, you lot Fens kids or Southsiders?"

At Leons comment about her stubborn morals, Aaron chuckles while Alice rejoined the land of those who aren’t becoming one with the table, snatching the bottle of rum from in front of her brother, and pouring herself another hefty glass before offering it to the others. Her brother shakes his head as Luke pipes in. "Our parents asked me to find her after age vanished in us." He pauses for a moment, looking at Alice, "Speaking of which, I know you're an independent High school graduate and all, but if you're going out, let Mom and Dad know. You know how worried they get."

Alice grumbled to herself, taking an unadvisably large drink of her glass. "I just wantedti hang out with my friends. I'm not sick anymore." She said bitterly, her intoxicating adding the harsh tone.

Edited by Kaede Kimura

Neko/Owain 

"We met outside of schooling," said Owain pleasantly. "She proved a worthy friend. Your family has taught her well." 

Neko, leaning against her boyfriend, pulled out her phone and said, her accent thick - "I have lots of friends at other schools! Look!" 

Climbing over herself to get to Aaron, she proceeded to play a video of Catgirl Reacts! to the food at Riverview High's fundraiser night, a generally supportive video (outside of the chili bacon cheeseburgers) that ended with her putting money in the donation box. "It is a nice school. Much bigger than the one I went to - back in Japan," she added. "I had to wear my costume," she confided in Aaron. "For the show." 

"Neko and I are exchange students," said Owain, a bit too easily as he sat down next to Neko on the opposite side. "She is from Japan and I from, ah, Wales." 

"Amen my man." Luke chuckled and gave Alice brother a pat on the back when he mentioned dreaming that a pyrotechnic would burn down his school. "I definitely wished the same for my old school..." Well, when no one was around at least and definitely he didn't do the same for his 'new one' although given the student body it was a much more likely possibility there.

"Southsider and proud of it sir..." Luke replied to Aaron question with a cocky grin. He did not comment about the school though, after all while Claremont was quite prestigious there was no need to invite any followup questions, or draw attention to the whole superpower things. 

The young man rolled his eyes as the big brother explained himself. "Come on, be a cool big bro and let your sis have some fun." He commented while ruffling the hair on the back of his neck, not that he wouldn't have done the same though, for his own little 'bro (although Gabriel was kinda of a model student, unlike Luke himself...). 

A light chuckle escaped his lips as Owain mentioned that the two of them were 'exchange students', but again, he did not comment further, no need to reveal this stranger, Alice brother or otherwise, that they two were time-travelers as well.

Edited by Nerdzul

“Well, there is one girl I wouldn’t put it past.”

Leon teases, giving Luke a smirk.

“That fiery little red-head is still there I think.”

He chuckles.

“I was a Downtown kid growing up, but not really the Fens.”

Leon glanced between Alice and Aaron. There was more to their conversation than any of them knew, but that was personal and not their business to ask about in his opinion.

“We hang out from time to time, when we can.”

He grinned as Neko eagerly showed off her video to Alice’s brother. He was proud of his girlfriend’s success. He watched all her videos too.

“Maybe you can have Alice as a guest sometime. Maybe check out her old cafeteria together.”

He chuckles.

Leon tries not to snicker at Owain’s ‘exchange students’ comment.

“Maybe we should drag Alice out on our next road trip.”

He suggests sounding more than a little excited at the idea.

Shooting Star and Steel Shade 

Aaron gives a casual salute as Luke mentions being from Southside, but doesn't comment about either boy's origin, instead following Neko and Owain's explanation of their relationship with several nods, watching Neko's video with mild interest. Alice flicks a small scrunched up piece of paper at Leon for his comment about being on Neko's show (she has a show, who knew?) wincing and taking another drink as she missed miserably and the wad vanished onto the clear blue sky. 

Aaron meanwhile chuckles at the comment about reviewing the cafeteria food, "I'm sure there are more pleasant ways to die than trying to eat that food. Could never tell which indistinguishable yellow mass was corn bread and which was the supposedly scrambled egg. Best not to risk it in general."

He purses his lips slightly at Luke's comment about bring a cool older brother, and Leon's comment about going on a road trip, but doesn't comment as he surveys the five teens. "Well, I think I've taken up enough of your time, I'm sure I can placate the parents as long as Alice is home by tonight and not at an unreasonable hour." He stands before pausing, looking down at his sister, "If you need anything just let me know. I'll just be working on some things for work in the new year."

With that he departs, quickly becoming one with the crowd. Alice is silent for a moment before pouring the last of the room rum into her glass and knocking back half of it. "Can we just fforget that happened and get back to having a good time?"

Owain shifted uneasily, looking like he was considering something for a moment. "My...father left me when I was but a lad," he said, which was true enough. "And my mother is very far away. They were all the family I had, and I grieve that loss very much," he said, emotion thick in his voice a moment. "If things are distant between you and your brother, you should - you should close that gap. Perhaps not today...but sometime." He looked away and said, "If I give offense, I ask your pardon." 

For her part, Neko tugged on Leon's arm. "I want to show you something," she said softly. "Somewhere...over there," she said, cocking her head towards the drugstore she'd been coming out of before Alice's brother arrived. 

Shooting Star

Alice sighed as Owain spoke. She didn't like the growing distance between her and Aaron, but how was she supposed to stomach spending time with him when he was a supervillain? When every time she looked at him she could see the scar that she gave him? A million problems rattled around her head, reasons she should cut ties, bring him in, something.

But he was her brother, and it would destroy her to do it, and she'd have to look her parents in the eyes as the person who sent him to jail. 

Instead of giving voice to these concerns, maybe asking the others for help, she chose the cowards way out and just slurred that "It's complicated. Sorry."

He held his tongue as Owain spoke. His own family issues weren’t something he wanted to talk about.

Instead, he let himself be distracted by his girlfriend. She was tugging at his arm and he smiled at her.

“Okay, okay.”

He chuckled as the two stood.

“Can I ask what it is, or is it a surprise?”

He smiles as Neko leads him back towards the drugstore.