Friends in the Fens

Kaede Kimura

Late Afternoon, Saturday the 16th of December

The Fens Waterfront

It was a bright clear day, the air crisp as a party had started out of a small flea market, mulled wine and a few good turns of luck proving enough to bring out some Christmas cheer early, especially as everyone's 'Uncle' Michael decided now was the best time to bring out his latest batch of homebrew rum.

Shooting Star 

Alice made her way through the crowd, the bottle of rum she'd acquired tucked under her arm. She wore a sky blue sundress and a white scarf as an acknowledgement that it was supposedly cold. For the dozenth time that minute she checked her phone, having messaged Luke and Leon asking if they'd wanted to come to the little party. She'd been meaning to meet up with them since the attempt at a party get together that had ended with them briefly being crows together, but never found the time, simultaneously juggling school, superheroics and family responsibilities. The latter of which she was avoiding right now, Aaron was getting more involved this Christmas, and it was getting too much.

She huffed out a sigh, surveying the crowd for her... friends?

Neko wrinkled her nose as she walked the streets of the Fens, her arm through Leon's, then shook her head. So this was poverty! There were no dead bodies, no sick horses, and no smell of raw sewage, no dead-eyed people shuffling through the streets. She had seen much worse than this, in times when people were far crueler to one another than they were today. Relaxed, she leaned against Leon, the sake in her shoulder bag clinking as they went. As usual, it had been trivially easy to get whatever she wanted from the liquor store clerk; and she'd helped herself to a little before they left. "Come on, Owain, sing!" she called to him. 

"Well as you like," said Owain, who had notably not partaken in anything. He began singing in a deep voice, primarily for their little group rather than the crowd: 

"Wynter wakeneth al my care;
Nou this leves waxeth bare.
Ofte Y sike ant mourne sare
   When hit cometh in my thoht
      Of this worldes joie:
         Hou hit geth al to noht!" 

earning him a faint scattering of applause when he'd finished. 

Leon sported a white hoodie against the mild bite of the chill of the air, even though it wasn’t closed. A red strip down one arm framed large block letters spelling R.o.D.. The shirt under it was a solid red with black trim. Typical jeans, Converse, and a pair of fingerless gloves completed the look.

He squeezed Neko’s arm and flashed her a smile as they moved through the crowd. The holiday when creeping closer and people were rushing around. He wasn’t too concerned with it or New Year’s, but the more important day after it. His girlfriend’s birthday.

When Alice had reached out about the party  he had made sure it was okay to bring extra guests. Neko was an obvious choice, but Owain had been a little reclusive and he hoped this would get him to liven up a little. It wasn’t sneaking out in the middle of the night to do a little underage drinking, so it hadn’t been too hard to convince him. Not that wasn’t going to be a little drinking today.

The party that had sprung up from the market was brightly colored and cheerful at a glance. Leon could almost forgive the excesses of Christmas decor.

At Neko’s urging Owain gave a rousing chorus of something old but festive. Leon had to give him that, Owain had a nice deep singing voice. He needed to drag the boy to drama club. 

Still slightly winded Luke had landed in a nearby alley, hopefully out of sight of the crowd.

He was a bit late, honestly speaking, but he had managed to find a somewhat decent gig serving tables at a local bar for the Christmas' season, it wasn't bad, well-off, but not too rich, neighbourhood with pretty decent tipsters who were definitely a blessing for his chronic lack of dollars (despite having millions in gold bars still slowly being distributed to the neighbourhood in his hoard). The shift, however, had extended well past what was originally planned, forcing him to try and catch up by navigating the city rooftops. His principles after all di prevent him from making money out of his powers, but at the same time they said nothing about using them not to be (too) late... 

A light hoodie and, a rarity for him, one with sleeves, was his own concession to the cold weather, with his enseble being compleated by an old Poets of the Falls T-shirt, jeans and his well worn, but trusty sneakers.

He had scanned the area from above not long before, to locate his friend among the festive market allowing him to reach Shooting Star with ease.  He saluted the fellow teenage hero with a wide grin, a big "Hey..." and one of his trademarked bear (dragon?) hugs. 

"It has been a while... how is it hangin'..." 

The nineteen years old joined the small crowd clapping at Owain display. "Bravo." He grinned and waved at the small group. 

Shooting Star

Alice had to admit, getting one of your friends to sing was a good way to be found in a crowd, given it let both her and Luke find the others. She returned his hug with a more careful on of her own, her strength having continued to grow over the year. "Hey Luke, it's been too long. Mostly just been the same old stuff. What about you?"

She also joined the round of applause for Owain, careful not to lose her (definitely very legal) bottle of rum during the motion, before approaching the other trio. "Hey you three, how've your years been?" Heroically she fought down the urge to give Neko's fuzzy ears scratches, instead brandishing her alcoholic prize. "Anyone up for a drink? I can't promise it tastes good, but knowing Uncle Mike it could probably put Omega on his ass."

"Did someone say a driiiink?" asked Neko, reaching into her bag and producing her two bottles of sake, one down a little, the other still full. "Come on, I brought stuff for a real party!" Her accent was noticeably thick, but she could still make herself understood. "I have been doing well," she said in a sing-song voice. "Someone just had her five - half a million download!" 

"Neko hath begun the party a touch early," admitted Owain. "Alice, Luke, a pleasure as always," he said, sketching a little bow for both of them. "We fare well! Mine own education progresses well, as does the apprenticeship with the farrier. You should come," he said cheerily, "there is hardly a trace of good horseflesh around in this city but it can be found if you look hard enough" 

Luke warmly saluted the three newcomers as well, all hugs, smiles and high-fives.

20 hours ago, Kaede Kimura said:

"Hey Luke, it's been too long. Mostly just been the same old stuff. What about you?"

"Same old, same old... I mean... graduated, got my own place with Leon here..." He gave his flatmate a playful nudge. "Still doing dragon stuff of course." Well whatever that was, in truth he wasn't exactly sure. 

The young man smiled enthusiastically at the offer of booze. "Always..." He smirked. Although, after he gained his powers, the young man had started to require an ungodly amount of alcohol just to get high, 'strong enough to put Omega on his ass' sounded about right. "Love the challenge..." 

"Sure thing man." He nodded when Owain invited them. "How is school going since we left, you two?" He asked casually.

Leon looked over as Luke and Alice joined them and grinned.

“Oh, hey there.”

He gave his best friend a high five before offering Alice a one armed hug around the shoulders. 

“A little som’in-som’in to warm the bones.”

He grinned and gave her hair a quick ruffle and laughed before stepping back to stand beside Neko again as she produced her own  bounty. He slipped an around her shoulder and smirked at Owain, he may have shared in Neko’s early revelry.

He nodded as Luke mentioned graduation and finding a place to split the rent.

“The usual shenanigans. We did have a little road trip after graduation. It was pretty boring.”

He flashed a smirk that said differently.

”How about you?”

"Things have been quiet," said Owain agreeably. "No further progress in, ah, amores," he added with a distinct blush in his cheeks. "But our foster father assures me that I will find the right sort of fellow before I know it." 

"He should show off his muscles," said Neko pleasantly. "That will get him a - kareshi." Feeling pretty good about her own prospects with that, she said, "Things are good! We have money! And I am learning things," she added. "Try some sake!" she encouraged Luke. 

Shooting Star 

Alice returned the half-hug with Leon, following along the conversation with a smile, congratulating Neko on her success, and giving a light chuckle at Owain's comment about being an apprentice Farrier. "I suppose it's no wonder Mike finally won a bet on a Freedom based horse if you've been taking care of them. I think I'll take you up on a visit sometime, just don't try getting me on one, it'd be a rather cruel thing to do to the poor horse." She offered a sympathetic shoulder pat to Owain as he mentioned his relationship troubles, before guffawing at Neko's suggestion. 

Her smile stayed as she led them to one of the tables that had been set out, double checking the glasses were clean before turning to the others. "We starting with the sake or the rum?" Handing out everyone's drinks, she took a large drink of her own.

"Yeah absolutely nothing of note happened there..." Luke smirked. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas after all. 

"Don't worry man, I am sure you will find someone..." It was Owen to receive a playful nudge from the young man this time. 

"Let's start with your Uncle's poison... Wanna see if it's really that strong." Luke took a very generous sip, seemed unfazed for a moment, but then exhaled a small puff of flames.

"Woah..." He grinned. "Not bad... not at all..."

Leon gave Owain a friendly nudge.

“Told you before, Luke and I will be your wingmen whenever you need us.’

He grinned, then smirked at Alice.

“I’ve been trying to get Owain to give me some insider intel so I could place a couple bets, but he’s always saying’ that it wouldn’t be right. But I think I’m wearing him down.”

He laughed and watched as Luke took the bottle from Alice. He chuckled as his bestfriend exhaled a small flame.

“Hey now, don’t hog it all.”

Holding out his hand for the bottle. 

When she'd had enough sake that she felt pleasantly warm, Neko said "I better not. That is - a lot." She leaned on Leon as they walked, her footsteps a little shaky but not showing a sign of it on her face. 

"Idle wagering is no way to spend your time," said Owain in that gentle way that showed he actually meant it but didn't have any malice behind it. "But you are always welcome to ride a horse at my side." He hesitated a moment, then admitted, "I have thought - to try myself as a police rider." There were only a few cops here, since it was the Fens and all, and none of them were particularly close. "They seem a potent symbol. But to lie to find work is - an irksome thought. What are you doing to make money?" he asked the others. 

Shooting Star

Alice laughed as Luke belched fire, generously pouring more of the burning liquid into people's glasses (including a hefty pour for Leon at his request), the strong alcohol almost making her eyes water as she knocked back an unwise quantity of it in a single gulp.

Her joviality faded at Owain's question about making money, scowling into her glass before tossing back some more. "Honestly not the foggiest idea. I've been thinking about going to FCU and working part time, by that doesn't leave much time to be Shooting Star. My brother Aaron offered to help pay for me to go, but..." Instead of finishing the thought, she instead finishes her glass of rum, shaking her head violently to clear the burning of the alcohol before pouring herself another immediately. "What about the rest of you? Pursuing higher education,  looking for work, looking for a breadwinner to be a house spouse for?"

"Definitely... you just need to ask." Luke smiled at Owain. "Plus I mean... one of us here has actual wings... can't get better..." He chuckled. 

"Nah you'd be wasted wasted being a copper, you're too good for that." The young man objected, in truth, it was likely more of a prejudice on his part, still, despite being a superhero now, so in theory on the same side of the force, he had enough negative experience in his youth to color his perception.

Luke gulped another round of home-made rum, this time without pyrotecnics, when the subject of their conversation shifted to making money. 

"If you have the chance go for it... I bet you'd do great." He smiled encouragingly at Alice. "Superhero stuff will get to you anyway..." God if he knew... it almost felt like most times he want out to just hang out some supervillain was just behind the corner.

"I am just hustlin'" He replied, ruffling the hair on the back of his neck. 

"I wait tables at Tony's and I found a pretty good gig at the mall for Christmas." He continued, finishing his glass. "I mean it's a bit reavealing, but it pays well." 

"Plus I still got enough time for ... you know... Be Nightscale and all..." Yep and seeing his girlfriend, his family, his friends, admittedly he had sacrificed plenty of sleep recently, but in truth, he didn't really mind being busy.

"Not gonna be forever though..." Yet, it was not like he was swimming in job opportunities at the moment. "I am gonna apply at Claremont too... I mean, Coach definitely need some helps, with you poeple..." He grinned at Owain and Neko playfully.

Edited by Nerdzul

Paper

Leon smiled down at the top of Neko’s head. Tilting his head he gave her a kiss by one of her ears.

He grinned over at Owain.

“Ya, I can see you as a horse cop. You would own that.”

He shook his head at Luke’s comment.

“I know ACAB, but that’s why we need to start sprinkling in some good ones.”

Leon chuckled as he thought about Alice’s question.

“Higher learning? Nah.”

He grinned.

“Though I do think I’d make a pretty good trophy spouse. I got the whole being arm cast thing down pat.”

He chuckled.

He nodded.

“Luke’s right. The hero stuff will fall in your lap whether you want it or not.”

He smirked.

“Just, you do you. Do what’cha like.”

Leon gave Alice a grin.

“I can just see you out there, on the school field with the gym shorts and the whistle.”

Leon laughed and smirked again before he added mysteriously.

“Actually, I do have a hustle I’m looking into.”

He gave Owain a grin.

“And it’s totally on the up and up.”

GM

The party continues merrily as the group drinks their rum and sake, getting a strong buzz going. No one pays much attention to the five teens drinking, but what does draw a small amount of attention is the large man with black hair who seems to be looking for someone. The observant ones at the table may have seen him, and noted his strong resemblance to Alice. Perhaps he is the brother she mentioned?

Neko leaned warmly against her boyfriend, then  her eyes happened to fall on a nearby bodega that also advertised itself as a drugstore. She considered what to do for only a moment before saying, "I will be - back! Just need to use water closet." And with that, she scampered away, almost catching her tail in the door in her haste. 

Meanwhile, it wasn't Owain's place to say anything, but he had eyes for the resemblance between hart and hind as much as any man. "Mm. Alice? Your pardon." He touched her arm gently as he would any lady to which he was neither bound by blood or marriage, then pointed in the direction of the black-haired man, a question on his face. 

• 2 weeks later...

"You do?" Luke gave his friend a puzzled (and vaguely worried) look.

"A hustle, or a Hustle with the capital H?" He teased playfully, giving his friend a nudge before he had time to clarify that it was 'totally on the up and up'. 

They have been going for a while, when Luke noticed a slight commotion. There was a man in the crowd, clearly looking for someone, he was unfamiliar to him and yet, he wondered if he was after them.  "Yeah... do you people know the guy?" He asked, unlike Owain, he avoided pointing at the man and instead he simply shifted his gaze toward him as discretely as he could.  

Shooting Star 

Alice wasn't going to judge whatever 'hustle' Leon had, although she did give him some side-eye when he assured Owain that it was 'on the up and up'. She had to admit it was nice to unwind with people who knew who she really was.

She turned to look when Owain and Luke pointed out the person making their way through the crowd, her slightly flushed face draining to sheet white as she met his eyes on the crowd. Turning back to the other three she slumped down until her head rested on the table, the wood protesting before she pulled her head up slightly.

"That's my brother." She huffed out a breath. "F***."

Steel Shade

Aaron made his way through the crowd to where he'd seen his sister, glad to have found her in the crowd. Intellectually he was aware that she wasn't as weak and fragile as she had been before he'd gained his powers, but that didn't help the emotional side of things. It didn't take him long to make his way through the crowd to the table. With some friends. Who were boys.

"Should I be worried? You kids aren't up to no good, are you?" He asked jokingly before picking up the bottle of rum, "Oh hell, you four are looking for trouble, I'm impressed you kids are still alive if you've been drinking this."

Aaron sat down smiling amiably, as he surveyed the three boys. He paused, looking at Luke and Leon, "Have we met?"

Neko 

While Neko returned from the drug store with her burden in hand, she caught sight of the adult in the company of the teens and frowned. She had almost walked in on them, tipsy as she was, but she'd been aware of the imminent face of death since she was a small girl. She cooly stepped back into the doorway and considered what to do. A man who was too friendly with teens was generally not a friend at all, but wasn't that the man who looked like Alice? A resemblance didn't necessarily mean a friend either. 

Considering her options, she cracked open her phone. She thought first of texting Owain but if there was a menace there, she did not necessarily trust him to keep a straight face. So instead she texted Leon their danger signal: 

DO U WANT PIZZA TONIGHT? 

Luke winced and gave Alice a worried look before turning toward her brother. "Everything alright?" 

"Hey what's up man?" Luke saluted the newcomer, although he could sense the tension in the air.

"Is there anythin' better to do than looking for troubles?" The young man teased.

"Eh... could be stronger..." He grinned pointing at their supply of drinks. In truth, if he had been a normal human he would have much likely been drunk by now. He wasn't though and while a bit tipsy by now, it was gonna take way more than that to make him properly drunk. 

"Luke..." He introduced himself and shook the newcomer hand. "And no... I don't think so... Nice to meet you man..."

Paper

Leon watched Neko scamper off towards the store with the goofy smile he always reserved for her.

“Huh?”

He glanced back at Luke as his brain processed what his friend had asked.

“Oh. Yes.”

He smirked, purposefully giving a non-answer.

He glanced in the direction Like pointed, spotting the man he referred to. At her reaction he gives Alice an inquisitive raised eyebrow. He watched at Aaron made his way over and joined them.

On 1/14/2024 at 12:51 PM, Kaede Kimura said:

"Should I be worried? You kids aren't up to no good, are you?" 

“Always.”

Leon smirked without flinching.

On 1/20/2024 at 6:31 PM, Nerdzul said:

"Eh... could be stronger..." 

"Luke..." He introduced himself and shook the newcomer hand. "And no... I don't think so... Nice to meet you man..."

“Like he said.”

He chuckled and gave him a short nod.

“You should try some of the stuff my girl manages to dig up.”

“I’m Leon.”

He added after Luke.

“This is Owain.”

Leon motioned to the young knight as his phone buzzed with a text.

On 1/16/2024 at 5:00 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

DO U WANT PIZZA TONIGHT? 

NO THANKS, BURGER ARE GOOD.

He texted back the all clear message. Glad Neko thought to check.

Luke recognizes the Cheshire Cat grin Leon flashes as he turns his attention back to Aaron.

“So is there anything your parents would disapprove of? We were just planning out a night of debauchery to drag Alice out on, and we need to make sure we break as many rules as possible.”

He manages to say with a completely straight face.

Edited by Spacefurry

Steel Shade

Aaron's smile weakened slightly as the two boys introduced themselves, and there was a slight tension to his shoulders as they speak, but his voice doesn't betray any reservations he may have about the trio.

"I'm sure there's nothing I could come up with that four teenagers haven't already come up with when it comes to upsetting our parents." He rubs the scar that runs along the right side of his jaw absently as he looks at the three boys, "So I suppose I should ask how you lot met, and if I need to give any of you three the Shovel Talk?"