Queen of the South

Dunno about you, but I find there aren't that many hangout spaces for PC in Freedom. Yes, there's the Cape and Cowl club. Or Bayview Mall. But really, how many threads are set there? Is the food good? Does a PC work there? Questions unanswered. Sure, there's Silberman's Books, but that's a bookstore first and a café second. It's not the kind of place a bunch of PCs can hit up for dinner.

So, I propose an idea. The Southern Queen. My PC, Queenie, alias Maybelle McQueen is the head chef. Her identity isn't secret, just not publicized. Got a PC that needs a meal? Come right on down. Need someplace to have that date? The Queen is available. Basically, if you're having a social thread and it's not "we randomly met somehow", I invite you to think of the Southern Queen. Queenie herself doesn't even have to be in the thread. She could always be out heroing, or just back in the kitchen like a restaurant's chef should be.

So, how about it?

EternalPhoenix, a significant part of the reason for why in fiction meeting places like this work is because 1) the creators need a standby to draw/shoot, 2) there's some significance of the location to the characters involved or 3) there's some flash or quirk to the place. In a lot of ways Freedom City is a remarkably, remarkably low-key setting for a superhero universe, but sadly just offering cuisine from the American South or being operated by a superhero isn't quite enough. More than merely a platform for stories, the place must have stories of its own.

EternalPhoenix, a significant part of the reason for why in fiction meeting places like this work is because 1) the creators need a standby to draw/shoot, 2) there's some significance of the location to the characters involved or 3) there's some flash or quirk to the place. In a lot of ways Freedom City is a remarkably, remarkably low-key setting for a superhero universe, but sadly just offering cuisine from the American South or being operated by a superhero isn't quite enough. More than merely a platform for stories, the place must have stories of its own.

Or maybe really awesome coupons.

EP, never hurts to have more options for possible settings for a social thread. Cannot say I would make use of it anytime soon, but maybe someday.

Perhaps it might be helpful to put up a general description of the Southern Queen (exterior and interior) that can be referenced by anyone wanting to use it as a setting for a social thread? Maybe also give a list and short description of a few NPCs working there that they might meet (such as waiters and host/hostesses).

Or maybe really awesome coupons.

Everyone loves coupons.

EP, never hurts to have more options for possible settings for a social thread. Cannot say I would make use of it anytime soon, but maybe someday.

Perhaps it might be helpful to put up a general description of the Southern Queen (exterior and interior) that can be referenced by anyone wanting to use it as a setting for a social thread? Maybe also give a list and short description of a few NPCs working there that they might meet (such as waiters and host/hostesses).

This sounds like at least a Wiki page, if not possibly also a Pinned thread in the appropriate sub-forum, similar to the ones for the various HQs we have floating around?

I will definitely consider setting a thread there, EP, but I agree a pinned sub-thread makes sense in the appropriate neighborhood.

Which reminds me, I should do one of those for Silberman's...

Edited by Heritage