Place Your Bets, Ladies! (IC)

Heritage

Hearing the conversation take place behind her Silhouette almost put down her chips to turn. Almost, she ate about two more dip covered chips and a swig of coke before she turned in her chair to face the arrival of a familiar helmeted face.

"Hey Dragonfly,"

She got out of her chair and stretched a little bit before walking over and extending a hand.

"Haven't seen you in a while, how you been?"

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A key turned in the front door of the brownstone apartment building before it pulled open, followed by the weary trudging of heavy boots and the loud sound of a heavy satchel full of textbooks dropping unceremoniously to the floor. Ellie Espadas pulled off her black pea coat and unwound he deep red wool scarf to hang them up in the closest, calling inward, "Anybody home?" Cracking her neck and rolling her shoulders with a grimace, she wandered into the living room. "Got stuck at the hospital for like forever trying to convince one of the staff that Little Timmy's arm must not have been broken in the first place."

The small shapeshifter frowned when she overheard the whispered conversation between Fusion and Wisp, but for now she said nothing; her brother Ben was a successful lawyer, and he still played D&D one Saturday a month! Well, now he said he played 'Pathfinder', whatever that was.

"Seemed...polite to bring something. Probably not for poker, but...gift for the host?"

Hefting the bottle, Grim whistled as she read the label. "Wow, Segal's Cabernet Sauvignon, all the way from Israel; thanks, Fly!" She gave her a quick one-armed hug, then set the kosher wine down behind the bar.

"Anybody home?" Cracking her neck and rolling her shoulders with a grimace, she wandered into the living room. "Got stuck at the hospital for like forever trying to convince one of the staff that Little Timmy's arm must not have been broken in the first place."

Grim's ears literally perked up at the sound of Ellie's voice. "Oh crap, code red, code red! Be right back!" For seemingly the umpteenth time that night, Mighty Mini Grim took wing, flying so fast that the wash of her tiny wings ruffled everyone's hair as she sped topside. Hovering in front of Erik's little sister, she conjured up a large sign that read:

It's Poker Night, Silly!

(And Your Girlfriend's Really Cute, Too)

Flashing a ridiculous rictus grin, the wee pixie spoke slowly, while jerking her tiny head back towards the basement stairs.

"Hi, Jill! How was your day fighting bad guys?"

Fusion hissed a few suggestions at Wisp, the tentacled woman's voice sibilant and alien as she recommended, "Macross Island if you can get there. The divine Hachiman is a friend of mine and he knows mystics all up and down the Pacific Rim. Closer to home, Ditko Street is the place to go for magic. I heard from a friend of a friend that the most powerful sorcerer on Earth lives there. Cool, huh?" Her smile was visible through her mask as she said, "There's some really special things out there that you'll be able to live since you're in this business. Go out and find your life. Let the boring kids spend all their time in the basement...well, except for tonight," she added with a serpentine chuckle. To Dragonfly, she added, "I like to know the people I share my city with. It's what any immigrant should do," She let the low chuckle suggest she'd moved there from who knew where, rather than Seattle by way of the Pacific Rim.

She got out of her chair and stretched a little bit before walking over and extending a hand.

"Haven't seen you in a while, how you been?"

Dragonfly nodded, shaking the offered hand. so much hand-shaking - why "Silhouette. Mask still working? Comfortable? Was an interesting challenge. Interested to see how it worked out in the field." She turned as if to reply to Fusion, trying to keep up with assorted conversations and developments, but:

"Anybody home?"

The voice had Dragonfly's clear and immediate attention, head turning to look at where it had filtered down into the game room. As soon as or sooner than Grim could be heard 'subtly' calling the young woman's name down from atop the stairs, the engineer looked...happy. Happier, at least - a little less tense, an inch more relaxed. The finger she hadn't even realized was tapping against her leg stopped, for now at least, as she pulled her attention back to the rest of the room. follow her lead? - try not to make people uncomfortable - social things are complicated

It took the work weary teenager a few blinks to fully grasp the meaning of Lynn's sign before she placed her hand over her face. "Fffff..." Ellie hissed to herself under her breath, massaging her eyes roughly. "Totally blanked, sorry, sorry!" she hastily apologized to the pixie as she moved quickly to retrieve he satchel and the costume inside. Throwing on her short, crimson jacket and matching bandanna mask, she shot Grimalkin a brief grin. "Oh, and I know, right?" Taking a moment to brush disturbed bangs out of her eyes, Jill pointed a warning finger at the older woman. "Just remember you promised not to make a big thing, hermana mayor."

So assured, she jogged after the shapeshifter down the stairs. "Hi! Sorry I'm late, duty calls, huh? I'm Jill," she greeted those already there with a brief wave before moving to stand next to Dragonfly, adding more quietly, "Hey, muñequita. Meant to be here when you arrived, sorry."

Wisp rose from her chair. "Hey. Pizza, wings, chips, and soda are over there," she waved indicating where she set up her brought in food. "Lobster nachos are... vanishing quickly," she added with a smile, grabbing some and dumping them onto her plate where a slice of pizza was a minute or two before.

"The mask absolutely excellant, night vision has been a great help and the radio reception is excellant."

Sil turned to face the new person and smiled,

"Good evening Jill,"

She looked at her and Dragonfly as they stood next to each other.

"Muñequita huh."

She gave a toothy grin as it was the only expression visible with her mostly blacked out face,

"Eso es un nombre lindo que usted tiene para la libélula, así que estoy conjeturando que usted es la persona que le invitó. Eso es grande, ella definitivamente las necesidades de salir del almacén más a menudo."

Her smiled broadened as she took a few steps back to her chair and her dip,

"So, is that everyone or are we still expecting?"

Well...I suppose Silhouette speaks Spanish? "Hello!" said Fusion, rising to her feet again to greet Jill. She decided to stay there this time, tired of bouncing up and down even with the help of her tentacles. "You must be the famous Jill O'Cure. I've seen you and your partner on the news and you're really something." Shame about how she...hey, is that a new costume? All right! She smiled, catching the fairly obvious hints between the two young women. The sensible outfit, the pretty blonde girlfriend...what the hell, it made her day. "Good to see you two kids together. How long have you been dating?" Despite her bulk and hissing voice, the big woman sounded pleased.

"Just remember you promised not to make a big thing, hermana mayor."

Grim returned to full size and made an expression of mock dismay as she placed a hand on her innocent bosom.

"Moi? I'll have you know I am the very soul of discretion!" She smiled and stuck out her tongue. "I totally gave her a girly hug, but not in front of everyone."

Happily trotting down the stairs in front of her teammate, Grim arrived at the bottom wearing an overisized T-shirt over her costume, depicting a warrior and a wizard battling a huge dragon with a caption that boldly proclaimed, 'The Geeks Will Inherit The Earth'. She shot a friendly wink Wisp's way, then started to fill up a plate of snacks she'd purchased herself, just to be on the safe side.

"So, is that everyone or are we still expecting?"

"Mmm, no; we're actually supposed to get a telepath." She held up her free hand in anticipation of any complaints. "I know, I know, but I've been assured Sage is above board, and she's got a decent rep, so..." She shrugged as she made it back to her seat, loudly crunching on tortilla chips and veggie bean dip.

Jill's expression froze in a slightly forced smile at being caught. "Yyyyy.... usted habla español. Haha... Fantástico." Her complexion hiding the better part of a slight flush, the medic cleared her throat lightly and resolved to roll with it. "Ah, yeah, go us," she replied to the tentacled woman, a little bemused by the older woman's vocal approval. Exchanging a look with Dragonfly, she considered. "I guess... a month on Sunday? And Sage is good people," she confirmed Grim's assurance. "She only speaks telepathically, fair warning."

Dragonfly had turned a little red when caught; other than exchanging a glance with Jill she'd gone quiet and was apparently more than glad to let her girlfriend do the talking. didn't take long - at least nobody seems to care - better than expected?

She was, at least, pretty glad for a chance to change the subject. "Have met Sage," she noted, making a conscious effort to get her head back up in the air so she'd look less like a turtle. "Likely to be trustworthy. And telepathic cheating is likely to be catchable, anyway. Probabilities...mmh." She shook her head before she wandered off onto a tangled math tangent. "Unlikely to be a problem."

Soaring through the air on ethereal wings of orange-hearted gold flame--the visible manifestation of her flight--Sage exulted in the sense of freedom evoked from this form of travel. "It took me eight months to figure this out," Sage reflected as she spotted the Brownstone below and started her descent, "but it was so worth it."

The orange hue leached out of the telekinetic wings, replaced with a light yellow-green color as the telepath alighted on the ground behind the Brownstone. There were a two people she was really looking forward to seeing again and the night was also an opportunity to network; something Paladin told her she should never pass up.

With an appropriate Sorry-I'm-late smile on her face the white-haired psychic knocked on the door.

With the hostess busy with her new guests, Fusion took the opportunity to slip away to the rear door. This wasn't her house, but she was the most adult person there. When she opened the door and was greeted by the white-haired teen psychic, she suppressed a brief chuckle at the thought of the pretty rich French girl meeting the pretty Russian behind her. They do have a similar look. Out loud, she bowed her head politely to Eve and said in fluent schoolgirl French, ""

"I guess... a month on Sunday? And Sage is good people," she confirmed Grim's assurance. "She only speaks telepathically, fair warning."

Grim nodded philosophically. "Okay, I can deal; I mean, if people can handle a freak of nature like me, the least I can do is show the same, y'know, courtesy."

Then she leaned forward and arched an eyebrow before rattling off in perfect accentless Spanish, <"And don't forget, I can speak any language, too."> She shrugged. <"Might actually come in handy sometime, right? I mean, for something other than evesdropping.">

"Love the shirt Grim," Wisp said, wiping some pizza grease from her mouth. "And hey, we're only playing for chips right? If it was real cash, I'd be more worried but we're only here for food, friends, fun, and bragging rights right?"

The shapeshifter beamed at the compliment. "Thanks! Hey, you want one? I could make you one just like it, but you'd have to keep it way from iron or it'll melt, which could be kinda awkward..."

There was another knock at the door, and she really didn't want to fly all the way over to the door again; luckily it looked like Fusion was on it.

She may be a bit on the freaky side, but her 'mom instincts' are impeccable.

Blushing a light shade of apricot as Fusion addressed her by name, Sage nodded at Fusion in greeting, eyes cast downward a little longer than necessary until her face didn't feel as warm. --Fusion,-- the telepath respectfully said, recalling the heroines description, --You are an unexpected, but not unwelcome or unpleasant surprise. As in your French.-- Favoring tall woman with a smile Sage lifted a snow-white eyebrow. --May I enter?--

The shapeshifter beamed at the compliment. "Thanks! Hey, you want one? I could make you one just like it, but you'd have to keep it way from iron or it'll melt, which could be kinda awkward..."

"I'd love one, thank you very much," Wisp smiled. "I'm pretty sure the dorm's laundry machines drums are made of aluminum and plastic so I'll actually be able to clean it. But having it melt off my back in public... . Yeah, that would be bad. Would be one heck of an icebreaker though wouldn't it?"

She eyed doorway Fusion vanished through, waiting get the last girl seated so the games could begin.

"It's not really my party," said Fusion warmly, "but you're welcome inside. I've heard about your work, it's very impressive." She closed the door behind Sage as she entered, and joined her as they walked down to join the others. "I have a new arrival!" she called as she walked in, her voice a liquid hiss as she slipped firmly into the character she wore while wearing the mask. "I don't know if you know anybody here, but I think most of them are your classmates. Was there a sign up at your school?" she joked.

Sil turned in her chair and waved,

"Hello, I'm Silhouette, we haven't met, and it is probably unlikely you would of seen me elsewhere as I'm really rather difficult to find."

She got up and offered her hand to the new person formally with a smile before turning over to Fusion,

"I don't believe Dragonfly goes to school, though she probably doesn't really need to she's absolutely brilliant. Everyone else I have really no idea about, unless there's a secret superhero school I haven't heard about."

Dragonfly snorted, shaking her head. "No school. Would have graduated by now, anyway. High school, that is...mmh. College, still no. Wouldn't find it...mmh. ....alternative education...not really...mmh." She shrugged, and tried to dodge the issue with rather transparent rapid-fire conversation switching. " Should get food...want anything, Jill?"

As she followed in the wake of Fusion, Sage felt her blush return at woman's compliment, clearly unused to hearing such things. Normally she tried to escape mention or notice but lately she's found that considerably more difficult when in the company of Young Freedom. Cheeks still flush with a bit of color upon reaching the base of the stairs she shook her head at Fusion and angled her head at the teen couple, --No, no sign. But there was an expressed interest in seeing those two again, on their own turf.-- The teen telepath flashed a smile at the tentacled titan, --I had them over for brunch this Sunday past,-- she explained.

Sage reached for Silhouette's offered hand, subtly hesitating just before completing the handshake and inclining her head in greeting. --You are correct, we have not met,-- Sage responded to Silhouette, --but your psychic signature is familiar to me. I have sensed your presence in Freedom City for some time now. To meet you now is a pleasure.--

Releasing the hand she was holding, Sage waved a gloved hand at those present. --Sorry I'm late.--

"We're a sociable bunch," Jill chimed in as Sage explained how she knew them to Fusion, a sardonic note in her tone that might have simply been the way she spoke. "Mostly Grim just has some uncanny word of mouth skills," she added, smoothing over Silhouette's passing comment about a school for superpowered teens. Claremont was a fairly open secret in the hero community, but no point in being blase about it.

"Pretty funny to have two gals in head to toe black and two with white hair," she admitted with a broad smirk, although it flickered a moment later. "Although the eyes kinda make Wispy look like... uh..." Glancing questioning to Sage, she coughed lightly and turned back to Dragonfly. "Ah, yeah, sure, whatever you think looks good."

Wisp felt a little uncomfortable as Jill brought up her eyes. "Yeah, they do have a bit of a young Linda Blair look," she said, trying to mask her discomfort with a joke.

Turning towards Sage, "So, Sage right? Grim mentioned you were a telepath. All I ask is you're careful with my head, it's where I keep all my one-liners."

"I hope we're not going to make an issue of appearances," Fusion hissed pleasantly, her tentacles unfolding from around her waist to pull a chair up for the new arrivals. Joan might not have been comfortable in her own skin, but she could surely fake it for these powered kids who had their own insecurities to deal with. "Unless we're going to have a contest about whose powers are the most...alien." she added in a sly whisper. The tall, muscular woman in the full mask and body costume certainly was the oddest-looking one there, especially when you added the gigantic suckered tentacles that she kept folded around her body. "Sage, I met your friend Psyche some months ago. She mentioned how well-trained your class is with telepathic ethics. I find that very impressive, especially when you contrast them against the Psions. It can't be easy."