Place Your Bets, Ladies! (IC)

Heritage

"Well, thank you," said Fulcrum as she took a seat next to Lynn, testing the chair gingerly before putting her weight on it. Along the way, she waved to Silhouette, "Nice to meet you too, Silhouette. Everyone actually. Lots of new faces."

As she was dealt into the game, she finished her beer and took in the empty snack and pizza boxes. "Yes, I have. I know one of the pizza joints over by the Super Museum has been considering a promotion like that. Two in fact: one for 'normal' appetites and one for 'super' appetites, ie people like us." Smiling, she added, "We may have to face off. As you can imagine, I can put away the pies."

"You're a teleporter?" asked the giantess nonchalantly, after snagging a cookie and critically examining her first hand.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--It has been a while, Fulcrum,-- Sage said, favoring the paragon with a smile. --I presume you have had no further difficulties with the White Knight?--

As she was speaking the telepath withdrew from the table, drink in hand and parked herself against the wall near Fusion.

Fulcrum smiled over to Sage, "It has been a while hasn't it?" she said before looking at her cards briefly, "No, no more trouble. Still a little troubled by how powerful has become, but a knuckle sandwich can fix that. How have you been lately? We haven't seen hide nor hair of each other for, what, six months now?"

Nibbling, ie downing in two bites, the large cookie, Fulcrum addressed Grim, "Looks like you've got quite the crew here. Now how about this bizarre variant of five-card stud. How fast am I looking to go out, card shark?" She chuckled.

• 2 weeks later...

"Looks like you've got quite the crew here. Now how about this bizarre variant of five-card stud. How fast am I looking to go out, card shark?"

Grim looked at her teammate and shook her head in mock-disgust. "Dude, we're playing with kids here; we're not gonna take their frickin' lunch money. Even though they're probably more likely to end up taking mine..." She placed her hand on the green felt in front of Fulcrum and quickly withdrew it, leaving several neat stacks of chips. "There's your buy-in, so you're good to go."

She hated to admit it, but not having Fusion at the table made her feel much more relaxed; she wondered if her own mom felt like a wet blanket from time to time.

Dragonfly made a grumbling noise at 'kids', and another at 'lunch money', though her mouth was too occupied with some chips and dip to express herself any more eloquently right away. Not that she wasn't aware she was young (and generally looked younger), but being treated like a teenager wasn't flattering, and even if that hadn't been directed at her she wasn't sure she liked the implications of that being directed at her girlfriend, either. "Age isn't so important," she replied, casually but pointedly, when she'd chewed enough to swallow. "Though...mmh. Sounds like an argument by the young. Still. Hopefully old enough to gamble wisely, if you're old enough to fight crime."

Fulcrum chuckled and replied cheerfully, "Thanks. We'll just have to see where the game goes." Nibbling on the cookie, she added, "Besides, I prefer playing for M&Ms anyway."

To Dragonfly's reply, Fulcrum nodded in agreement. "Not just the young. You should hear my grandmother. She's going to outlive everyone in the family. I agree though: if you can fight crime and live to tell the tale, then you've probably got a good head on your shoulders. Well, reasonably so, since you're in the line of fire in the first place."

"It's good to know that the kids fighting crime are at least pretty darn good at it."

Sil slipped back in without really opening the door, but resumed form to walk to her chair and take a seat,

"Like half the heroes I've worked with in the last few months have been teenagers, and they all have a good head on there shoulders."

She didn't really meet anyones gaze if they could see her eyes, instead she started to absently restack her playing chips,

"It's a lucky city as a whole, with how many good people there are willing to like you said, stand in the line of fire."

Wisp fiddled with her chips. "True enough," she agreed. "When I first got my powers, I was kind of on the fence on the whole 'go out and risk my life' aspect but my first night out, I stopped two car jackings and a mugging. After that, I knew there was no way I could turn away from my duty as a decent human being with more power than most."

After a pause and a sip of soda, she added, "Though if I can keep boosting my teleport's range enough, I might start a courier service."

Sage kept to the wall, and kept to herself, watching the conversation flow around her. It is a good group, the telepath reflected, once you got past the initial awkward introduction stage. I'd happily work with any of them next time I face down some Omegadrones robbing the art mu-. The mindwalker hesitated, confusion flickering across her face. That.. isn't mine.. I think.. merde.

--Excuse me,-- Sage murmured, leaving the room and heading up the stairs.

Fulcrum nodded and arranged her cards. "I've worked alongside many young heroes lately too." She chuckled thereafter and added, "Okay, let me clarify that. I've worked alongside heroes younger than me."

"Not like I'm ready for the pasture yet myself," she joked, nudging Lynn with her elbow. Turning a bit more serious, "Yes, Freedom is really lucky like that. We have a lot of villains and criminals but a very high rate of Concerned Citizens, be they super heroic or heroic."

"Nothing wrong with using your gifts to make a living either. We all have to eat. Okay, most of us have to eat anyway. Not to moralize, but I say if you use your gifts ethically, business or crime fighting, then more power to you," she replied to Wisp. "Besides, that's a great business idea."

As for Sage, Fulcrum glanced over her cards and watched her exit, but didn't say anything.

"Necessary, sometimes, too," Dragonfly noted, sipping a drink she'd snagged while everyone was getting up and sitting down. "Some kinds of crimefighting are...cheaper than others. Normal people or people who build powers -" - she held up a gauntlet to underline the point - "- have to pay somehow. Not always lucky enough to win lotteries or have family wealth. Can keep costs down, but eventually have to find income from somewhere ethical."

Grim looked thoughtful as the others discussed various business models based on super-powers. "Wow, I used to be a bike messenger and I didn't even think of doing that once I figured out how to fly...huh." She tried to shift her focus back to her cards, but there were clearly gears turning inside her head.

"Well there was some discussion at one point of making superhero movies, with like, real superheroes in them; that might still be fun. Not that I really need tons of money since my food and clothing budget is now zero."

"Heh, I don't think I have any real ethnical means to use my particular skill set except maybe a circus preformer, or a locksmith, and the former option was pretty much ruined by the whole Carnivale Sérénité deal."

Sil thought about the whole superhero movie with real supers for a second than shook her head,

"Bit hard to imagine a movie using the actual superheroes because one of those glory hog villians would get jealous and probably attack the set. You'd have to make all the actors working along side with the heroes just a bunch of professional stuntmen and women otherwise they'd never be able to keep up with the heroes. If you sign onto something like that, it also sort of makes you look bad, because if it works with real heroes some people might actually try becoming one just so they could try and get the movie deal."

Seeing the gears going in Grim's head, "If it weren't for that pesky high school student thing I'd get started on it now. But I'm pretty my parents would disown me if I dropped out of school. That and having the diploma will open a lot of doors when I try and get the business started up, nobody is going to sign a loan to a creditless, inexperienced, high school dropout."

Wisp nodded at Sil's comments. "I can see where a set full of supers might prove too tempting a target. Though I'm sure there's some independent films that have used people with powers. People are just fascinated by the flashy costumes and fantastic abilities."

"I'm not sure if the supers-in-movies idea was really about super hero movies," she began, looking around and trying/failing to put on a good poker face, "and shooting movies using supers powers to assist. Like calling up a weather controller to give some cloud cover and rain."

"If I recall correctly, I heard something about Atlas taking some work at a construction site. Something about being a living crane or some such." Remember the poker face? Yeah, well, looks like the cards weren't on her side. "Maybe you could do something like that on the side. Do an at-home start up, part-time. If nothing else, savings, spare parts and new concepts."

"Although super hero work is practically full time work anyway."

She glanced at her cards and shrugged her shoulders,

"Full time and part time makes it sound like it's a job, and it's not like any of us are getting actively paid for it, or have a union. Though if we think of Freedom teams as unions, than the big teams like Freedom League would probably be the national organization, while teams like Interceptors and Young Freedom regional, and would place the more individual heroes as freelancers."

She grabbed her drink and took a sip,

"Not that it really applies since there is no real money involved except maybe lincinsing for comic books, so it's less work hours more volunteer hours really."

"Good point," replied Mona. She leaned back, condensing her hand. "Job, calling, volunteering, being a hero is still a lot of work."

"That's a really good analogy though. I'm not sure how many of you are on teams," She looked around at the gathered, "but they do bring a whole new level of support. If nothing else, once you trust your team mates with your identity, you have a place to relax, let your hair down and swap stories."

"I'll freely admit I was leery about joining the Interceptors. Most of my career has been solo. Now though...I'd really miss this gang if I ran solo again full time." She smiled to Lynn and winked.

• 1 month later...

The night ended fairly tamely, there was no real money on the table so the winner of the game didn't matter. Not that it really concerned Sil who quieted down mostly eating or playing like she would at tournaments. When everyone started to settle in, she sort of sulked away unnoticed and waited upstairs in the entrance hall. Partly because it was where she came in, and going around the back might of gotten her terribly lost trying to get back to her car, mostly it was that she was just waiting to be alone with the host. When the pixie started up the stairs however long it took for the guests to leave, Sil sort of just appeared(having sort of hidden herself out of habit).

"Umm, hey."

Her full mask and gloves were on so it was impossible to descern her expression, but she was rubbing her wrists and her tone was a bit downtrodden.

"I sort of wanted too."

She put a hand on her head, she sounded like a freaking teenager,

"I want to apologize."

Things finally started winding down, and Grim hugged the folks who allowed themselves to be hugged. Once everyone who didn't live in the Brownstone appeared to have left, she quickly cleaned up the game room (which took little more than a few carefully-placed garbage bags and a wave of her hand), turned out the lights and started heading upstairs, still in uniform.

"Umm, hey."

"Oh, hey." The shapeshifter didn't seem to be as nearly startled as she could have been; perhaps she smelled the two-dimensional girl before she saw her? The changeling crossed her arms and casually leaned against the wall. "What's up?"

I sort of wanted too."

She put a hand on her head, she sounded like a freaking teenager,

"I want to apologize."

Lynn nodded sagely. "Ah, I see. For which of the ten thousand offenses against me?" Luckily there was a twinkle in her eye.

Sil let out a light snort at the comment, but still she scratched her head,

"Well, I sort of have a couple of things, mostly, the reaosn I came tonight was for umm threatening you with heavy cookwear when we sort of met. I was agitated, because of the situation, and it was really sort of insensative. I doubt I could even really stand to swing a cast iron skillet, I nearly give myself a concussion every time I get it down from the cabinets."

She folded her hands together and sort of looked down,

"But yeah, I am sorry, it has been bugging me forever, that I said something like that just when we met, though I guess what happened downstairs is going to bug me even more so. I am so bad at this."

"Well, I sort of have a couple of things, mostly, the reaosn I came tonight was for umm threatening you with heavy cookwear when we sort of met. I was agitated, because of the situation, and it was really sort of insensative. I doubt I could even really stand to swing a cast iron skillet, I nearly give myself a concussion every time I get it down from the cabinets."

For a few seconds, Grim's face is unreadable, then she simply nods.

But yeah, I am sorry, it has been bugging me forever, that I said something like that just when we met, though I guess what happened downstairs is going to bug me even more so. I am so bad at this."

Suddenly her face split in a grin, she chuckled and laid a friendly hand on the not-a-ninja's shoulder. "Hey, it's cool, I get it; you're an idiot, and that's okay. Admitting you have a problem is always the first step." She sighed and worked a bit of tension out of her neck. "Seriously, though, I appreciate it; I've said and done more than my share of dumb BS, so I hear where your comin' from. It's totally cool."

Then she cocked an eyebrow and looked at Sil askance. "By the way, just how did you know what my weakness is? And this is fairly important, so, y'know, choose your words carefully here."

"I just wish I could of apologized before we decided to ignore the subject altogether, but no, I had to get all defensive because I was afraid Fusion was gonna tear my limbs off."

She let out a sigh and pressed a hand over where her eye would be under the mask, she let the comfort of the hand on her shoulder before the next few words came out,

Right, that.

"Weakness?"

There was no expression on Silhouette's faceless mask but there was puzzlement in her voice.

"Umm, I'm not exactly sure what you mean? Are you somehow weak against cookware, because I'll be honest, if it's heavy enough a good percentage of people can attest that they share said weakness, especially to kitchen knives those things are freaking sharp."

"Umm, I'm not exactly sure what you mean? Are you somehow weak against cookware, because I'll be honest, if it's heavy enough a good percentage of people can attest that they share said weakness, especially to kitchen knives those things are freaking sharp."

Grim shifted her posture, hands on her hips, and took a single step away from the wall; she looked upset, but not furious or violent. "The first time I met you, you were clearly pissed, but you said you didn't have time to get your cast iron skillet 'to make sure the message sinks in'. And yeah, it did, trust me." She folded her arms again, this time fairly tightly over her chest. "That's pretty darn specific; why not just say 'frying pan'?"

She shrugged irritably. "Look, I know you were mad and you weren't gonna do it, and you wouldn't do it, but I need to know how you got that information; I'm not asking you to compromise your source, but if that knowledge is out on the street, I might need to make a few changes."

Sil let out a breath,

Guess it's not going to be that easy after all,

"I didn't know anything a few modern fantasy novels didn't tell me, I honestly didn't think you were really like a fae or something allergic to iron. Than again, before recently I didn't really think that a zombie apocalypse was actually possible, or that werewolves were not only real, but there were more than one type. When I said it, I was making a jab at what I thought was your gimmik. But seriously, you're actually like allergic to iron or something? I don't even know how that's supposed to make sense, I get like the vampire and demon thing with like holy items, heck I'll even go with werewolves and wolfsbane cause that stuff is actually pretty darn poisoness to regular people."

She waved her hand away,

"Getting off topic, anyway, you asked if this is common knowledge, than I'll say no, it isn't. If you'll ask if I really thought you were actually weak against the iron, well I may of half suspected, probably less than half, I wasn't even really thinking about the actual implications when I said it, just that it's pretty nasty to threaten to hit someone with heavy cookware regardless of it's context. Anyway, I'm only really able to come to a conclusion because of well, you're confirmation of the matter, and also because I've faced so much weird things that point to things like some mythology and magic whatever seeming to be somewhat true, so I doubt that you're secret is really in jepordy and it's not like I'm going to be spreading it around."

Grim just stood, arms still tightly crossed, and listened to Sil's spiel; once she was finished, she slowly nodded.

"Okay, well, I guess that makes sense; and yes, I actually think iron is one of the few things can actually kill me. Well, that or a nuke or being thrown into the sun; probably a lot of things can still kill me. Like helicopters."

The shapeshifter sighed and put an arm around the sneaky girl's shoulders. "You're alright; you talk too damn much, but that's actually a fairly common problem around here."