Champagne Shenanigans [IC]

Supercape

Ah, there is that smile I love to see!

"Actually," he said, grinning, "it does, though they are meant for defense from other spacecraft only. Their maximum range is around 22 miles, but ArcheStern is approximately 22 thousand miles above sea level. Although... the laser point defense system and massive communications array could... theoretically...," he stammered, "be converted into a powerful mega-laser capable of... ah... destroying an... ah... an entire city block... in one pulse."

I really do not like talking about things like this!

"Which would be one reason," he quickly added, getting back to his usual tone, "that the UN requests weekly updates, to make sure the security is up to their standards, and to make sure there is no work of a banned nature going on up there, and to make sure we have not been compromised by extraterrestrials. I had hoped Archetech -- of which ArcheStern is a part -- would not be beholden to any one government or business interest, but being watched by nearly 200 governments simultaneously -- who are watching each other as much as they watch me -- is a compromise I have come to accept. And, given my... past, and the fear my name still brings in some circles, I cannot fault them their caution. Ideally, I would he preferred to have no weaponry on ArcheStern, just as I myself carry no dedicated weaponry, but the last Grue Invasion, as well as the threat of asteroids and other natural disasters, made it, I felt, a necessity."

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between the buffet, the fireworks and the restroom Etain only just found herself moving towards the music once more where the guy from earlier seemed to be butchering several popular songs. Skimming the crowd for a few seconds she found a few familiar faces until she found Corbin's head peeking over everyone elses. It was around that time she also spotted one of the girls with too much make up making her way towards him. Picking up her dress she doubled the lengh of her stride so that she was able to meet Corbin just before the other girl reached him. She did so with an almost serene grace as she said quickly,

"Corbin, it seems I have found you once again."

She turned to the the girl and gave her a toothy smile,

"Is there something you need miss?"

Cindy paled slightly as she recognized Etain. Her course quickly shifted, making a solid 180 and moving back the way she came.

Corbin looked somewhat relieved, but also distracted. He gave Etain a lopsided smile.

"Thanks for that; I didn't want to deal with her. Again. Listen, I really do appreciate it, and if we've got time and the right songs, I'll try to catch you for a dance, if you're up for it. But right now, I need to keep a promise I made."

Determination settled onto his face as he slipped through the crowd with somewhat surprising grace, still seeking out Estelle's unmistakable profile in the sea of humanity.

Felix walked up to Victory, slapping the cyborg with surprising strength on the back "You are some kind of pilot, son! way to go! got some real cheers from the crowd there, I hope you heard them over those jets!"

He took a swig of his martini. "Got a lovely lady here, just dying to meet you..." he leaned in a bit closer, and whispered, in a conspirational tone of voice "...think she's got a thing for the metal, if you know what I mean..."

He took the young lady by the other hand and made the introduction. She was a beautiful woman, classy and understated, quite unlike Mindy and Cindy, but beautiful nonetheless, and not afraid to show it. Dark black hair, an olive skin and small features that made it hard to place her ethnicity. She was wearing a shortish cocktail dress and had her hair down, although it had clearly been worn up earlier. Her green eyes sparkled in the light.

"Victory, may I introduce Ms. Natalie Nicole, don't know what she does, but she is quite charming!"

Victory smiles wide, adjusting his collar a bit as Felix came by. He was surprised that Felix was able to hit him with as much force as he did, but his suspicions are interrupted by the person accompanying him.

"Why thank you. A lot of my show was due to some extra help I got plotting out the flight pattern and all, but I did do some improvisation, as well. You had quite the crew laying out the fireworks, though, I must say."

As Felix introduced Ms. Nicole, Victory's smile widened, as he offered his hand.

"Charmed, Ms. Nicole. Lieutenant Lance Factor. Or Victory, if you'd prefer. Some tend to."

GM

"Charmed too" replied Natalie, smiling at Victory. "It was an amazing display. You must have excellent visuo-spatial abilities, and these..." she stroked some of the gleaming metals "...must allow the finest of control. But I shouldn't take away from your performance, of course. A good workman should not blame his tools!"

She handed him a martini. "Drink?" she asked "unless you don't? or can't? I am afraid I don't really know much about how you function, or your story at all. But I would love to know. "

Victory lets her hand go where it will. He's quite used to people getting handsy with his metal, but it's always flattering when a pretty woman does it.

"Yes, it is quite a helpful bit of machinery. And though I'm not one to blame my equipment for my failings, I do give it the credit it deserves in my successes."

When offered a drink, Victory nods, bringing his metal hand up to it, his powerful fingers able to grab the glass without so much as cracking it.

"I very much can drink. And I can hold it better than most. Anyway, what do you wish to know?"

GM

Natalie smiled and sat down, patting the sofa beside her as an invitation to Victory.

"Well, anything and everything" she replied, crossing her legs. She oozed charm. She oozed sex appeal. Half the men at the party would have loved to be in Victories shoes at that moment - if Victory wore shoes.

"You are a fascinating man. You can start with your name, if you would care to share it. And perhaps the story of how you came to be victory? I studied engineering at university in Berlin. I can't say I'm an expert in these things, but it won't go completely over my head, I can assure you!"

Victory took the offer, and moved to sit down. He pushed down on it with his hand first, testing to make sure it'd be able to hold him up. It seemed quite sturdy, so he sat down. Carefully, though. Smiling still, he put his right arm up along the back of the couch, behind the woman's head.

"Well, I started as a test pilot in the Air Force. There was an accident, and when I woke up, I had a man from AEGIS offering me a chance to fly again. I said yes, and here I am before you now, metal, jets, and all!"

He took a sip, which found itself quickly absorbed into his entire system.

"To be honest, I don't know all the details of how I work. I have people for that. I do have a knowledge of jet engines, and my body uses some similarities, but the whole details are beyond even me."

"Hey, no problem" replied Felix "I am sure Mr McRock can oblige!" He gave a nod to the rocker who nodded back as he wailed out a rock version of Tutti Frutti which had the older party-goers roaring approval.

"And a Slow dance sounds most enticing. I may have to take you back on your unspoken offer!" he winked.

The lovely blonde heroine laughed and fluttered her eyelashes coquettishly. "Why Mr Fassbinder, I'd be delighted; preferably something in a waltz, if you can manage it. And thank you so much!"

She leaned in to give him a quick peck on both cheeks, then fetched her shoes from under the stage with a quick flick of her hair; Estelle was all smiles and back in her heels by the time she and Corbin met on the dance floor.

"Back at last! For a minute there I wasn't sure I would find you in one piece!" As she placed her hands in the proper positions for their dance, she nodded in Etain's direction. "You have a good friend there; from where I was standing, it looked like she handled the situation quite well."

And then they began, Gossamer proving to be fairly accomplished though no ballroom champ; they made a handsome, if somewhat age-inappropriate, couple.

Lance had to admit he was having a hard time getting a read on this woman. Her expressions managed to stay very even throughout their talk. He found it a bit curious. But he kept his own expression as appropriate to the situation as possible, as well.

"I don't mind questions. I'm answering questions often as is. But yes, we may as well dance, eh? That is what this whole thing is for, after all!"

Lance stands up, his mechanical limbs making the slightest of whirs as he rose. Offering a hand to the woman, he smiled.

"Well, being on the ground isn't quite the same as it used to be, but I try to manage. Shall we see how well?"

Mona patted him arm, "Don't worry, silly. I really was just joking." They walked together in silence a few moments.

"Independence is important to you, I know. Several reasons string to mind, and I'm glad you decided to stay out of government entanglements. Conviction of that nature is one of your most charming traits. I also understand why you would have armaments of some sort. To many people, terrestrial or extraterrestrial, ArcheStern is a beacon and not necessarily in a good way. At the very least you have to think about the safety of the dedicated employees up there. Not to mention the occasional rogue asteroid."

Mentally she slipped into her 'thinking cap', processing much faster than most people. While her memory wasn't perfect, yet anyway, she had been working on memory exercises, and so kept mental notes on everyone she noted. Given the sheer number of people, and their relaxed demeanor, a lot of information was available.

"It is a beautiful station though. I assume you fully designed as well as constructed it?"

She leaned in to give him a quick peck on both cheeks, then fetched her shoes from under the stage with a quick flick of her hair; Estelle was all smiles and back in her heels by the time she and Corbin met on the dance floor.

"Back at last! For a minute there I wasn't sure I would find you in one piece!" As she placed her hands in the proper positions for their dance, she nodded in Etain's direction. "You have a good friend there; from where I was standing, it looked like she handled the situation quite well."

And then they began, Gossamer proving to be fairly accomplished though no ballroom champ; they made a handsome, if somewhat age-inappropriate, couple.

Corbin gave a very formal bow to Estelle before they commenced. He then assumed about the safest, chastest dance position he could in a slow dance.

"You'd be surprised the sorts of things I could walk away from in one piece."

He managed to say this with an utterly straight face, and without ever looking at his ring.

"And she is a good friend, though I don't know her that well yet. I think some of it comes from her own sense of propriety as anything."

Corbin was clearly not a dance champion either, but he never stepped on toes. Finally, after a few minutes, the song wound down, and the couple stopped dancing. Corbin stepped back and gave another formal bow. His eyes glanced over and saw his slightly flushed-faced parents walking over. An exchange of nods signaled that they'd spotted each other. Corbin's attention turned to Estelle as he dug something out of an inner pocket on his coat. It turned out to be two business cards, one for each of his parents.

"I'm sure you're plenty successful on your own, but if you ever feel like it, I'm sure my parents could help you look into getting on board with one of their companies. Or even give you a recommendation for somewhere else. I figure you're good people, and I'll make sure they know that. Never hurts to have friends around, right? Have a good evening, Miss Estelle."

A genuine smile lit his face as he turned to join up with his parents. He gave a parting nod and wave to Etain, then climbed into the driver's seat as their car was pulled up to the front door. And with that, the Hughes family left the premises.

Miss A watched from the corner of her eye as Doktor Archeville and his companion walked in her direction and then suddenly veered away. It looked as though there'd be no further socialization from that quarter this evening. Just as well, since all she wanted to do was get out of here and settle in at home with a book. She continued to schmooze the elderly investor she'd been working over for the past ten minutes, until she was sure he was desperate to contribute more money to ArcheTech's new projects, then carefully extricated herself with many promises to stay in touch. Her steps quickened as she neared the door, absurdly happy for the chance to return to obscurity. She really needed to check her calculations anyway. If the good doctor's reaction to her was any indication, something about them was entirely off.

"Well, being on the ground isn't quite the same as it used to be, but I try to manage. Shall we see how well?"

"And why not?" laughed Natalie, taking him by the hand. Before Victory knew it, he was engaging in a slow dance with the beautiful woman, who held him in a warm yet courteous embrace. "You do just fine" she said, her eyes twinkling and with a large smile on her face.

"How does it feel?" she asked, after a pause "all that power? to be so.. different? you have lost so much, and gained so much too. Do you miss your old self? I mean..." she looked away, a little flustered "...how do you feel about being human, a man, with all this" she gave a warm hearted gentle knuckle rap on the metal that peppered his frame. "Sorry for being personal, its just you intrigue me so much. And you are brave. Very brave. "

Victory did his best to stay light on his feet. He could walk normally, but it took some more concentration to get through actually dancing without smashing the floor up. He seemed to manage fine, although it did distract him a bit at first. But he kept his eye contact with the woman as they danced, and he gives a small chuckle.

"I'm not so sure about that, but at least I'm not cracking the whole floor up."

The question she presented him with is not one he hadn't heard before, but it's always one he has to think about. His expression grew a little bit sad, although he stayed smiling. The eyes showed, though.

"Well...it's a much tougher adjustment than you might think. Control is the main problem. You have to try and keep the kiddie gloves on, for fear of breaking something. Or someone. I've had lots of practice though, don't worry."

"I do miss how things were before, but I don't think I'd go back if I had the chance. I've always dreamt of flying, and while being a pilot was an amazing experience, this is on a whole other level..."

He paused, and tried to lighten his tone again.

"And I can't really say I'm any braver than anyone else. I just happen to enjoy what I do now. Sure, you take some lumps here and there, but the rush and satisfaction of a job well done is worth it."

As the music kept going, Victory seemed to want to change the subject.

"What about you? You haven't told me anything about yourself. What do you do?"

• 2 weeks later...

"'Yes' to the first part, 'not quite' on the second," he replied to Mona, chuckling. "The design was- ah, Senator Menendez, Mrs. Menendez! So good to see you again! How are Alicia and Robert?"

What seemed like an eternity (even without reflexively slipping in and out of mental super-speed) passed, and the two heroes broke off from the Senator and his wife, with promises of tours of ArcheTech and viewings of Mona's sculptures.

Ah, bureaucratic schmoozing -- so necessary, yet so tedious! But now, a break, so back to my two favorite topics: Science, and Mona!

"The design of ArcheStern," he said, getting back to their previous topic of discussion, "was entirely mine. I oversaw the construction, but much of it was actually carried out assorted robotic drones, of my design and construction. Daedalus and Dark Star were kind enough to help; Dark Star even provided some alien crystals to serve as components for the communications system. Particularly effective at channeling radiowave frequency energies. Said they were something the natives of some backwater planet showered him with, in return for having saved their planet or somesuch." He nodded at a passing gentleman in a tuxedo, who had a woman on either arm, then tuned right back to face Mona, "the biggest part, though, was getting the UN to agree to it, a task for which I owe Ace Danger a great deal. I- hunh..." Archeville's face fell

Did the Freedom League only accept me on so they could keep a closer watch on me, and my satellite? Was that something the UN pushed? Was I... assigned?

... nah... I have done much good in my time! Much to combat the evils of others, including the legacies of my grandfather!

but only for a microsecond. He looked up at her, and 'hopped' up to give a peck on her cheek, "ready to talk to more people? Or are you ready to go?"

"What about you? You haven't told me anything about yourself. What do you do?"

Natalie just smiled at the powerful cyborg. "I'm a freelance writer. Engineering and science - I have a masters in engineering myself, but I prefer to write rather than get to involved with the gearheads. I guess you are pretty interesting. Perhaps I should do a piece on you? If its not to impersonal, I mean. I could give it a personal angle. "

"Only if you want of course. Might be good publicity. I don't know how classified all your gears and specs are?"

"If you want to do a private interview, I'll answer best I can."

"A private interview sounds delightful!" smiled Natalie. She stopped dancing for a moment, and brought out her card, popping it into a suitable piece of metal on Victory. "You know, you really are a very interesting man, Mr. Victory. I find you... well. I find you very...."

She turned away.

"Special".

When she put her card...somewhere...Victory took a glance at it once she turned, smiling.

"I'll look forward to it. I'd give you my card, but...well...All you have to do to find me is to look up."

He tucks the card in his breast pockets. While he was smiling, he still had an odd suspicion. She seemed to be a bit too quick about avoiding talking much about herself. Always raises a bit of a flag...

"I'm sure you're plenty successful on your own, but if you ever feel like it, I'm sure my parents could help you look into getting on board with one of their companies. Or even give you a recommendation for somewhere else. I figure you're good people, and I'll make sure they know that. Never hurts to have friends around, right? Have a good evening, Miss Estelle."

Estelle nodded and smiled as she graciously accepted the two business cards. "Thank you, Corbin, and you as well." As the handsome and courteous young man rejoined his parents, the blonde heroine sighed, while two slender golden tendrils plucked the crisp linen cards out of her fingers and sucked them deep into her hairdo for safekeeping. The night was starting to wind down, but there wqas still time for a dance or two. As she sought out Felix, she passed Viktor and Mona and called out softly to the couple.

"If you would care for a waltz, Herr Doktor, I'm adding the last names onto my dance card."

She gave him a friendly wink, and finally spotting thier host, approached him.

"Well, the young Hughes boy has turned out quite charming, but I wouldn't mind taking a turn with a more sophiticated partner." She extended her hand in lady-like fashion. "Shall we?"

"Sophistication is my middle name!" laughed Felix. "Or at least, its one of them. Witty, Charming, Handsome, and Modest, too, I think, if I remember my birth certificate!"

He took Estelle by the hands and gave her a competent whirl. He had the strength, agility and vitality of a man half his age, and was no slouch at dancing either - although he used a rather antiquated style, more ballroom than street.

"It has been quite a delight having your hear, Madam. If I may say so, you pepper the party with style. And not a little beauty!"

"Sophistication is my middle name!" laughed Felix. "Or at least, its one of them. Witty, Charming, Handsome, and Modest, too, I think, if I remember my birth certificate!"

Estelle snorted with good humor; sometimes it was fun to hang out with a cheerful egotist. She was also happy to see he was by the far the best dance partner she'd had in a while.

"It has been quite a delight having your hear, Madam. If I may say so, you pepper the party with style. And not a little beauty!"

The blonde chemist shrugged modestly. "Well I must be doing something right, because people keep inviting me to these sorts of affairs; let's just hope they never figure out how boring I can be."

The blonde chemist shrugged modestly. "Well I must be doing something right, because people keep inviting me to these sorts of affairs; let's just hope they never figure out how boring I can be."

"Oh madam" sighed Felix "I am certain you are neither boring, or indeed so lacking in mystery that one could figure you out. Why, a woman of your charms should never be found out. They would become less charming if they did so!"

He gave a quick flashy one-two with his feet to punctuate his statement.

"And let us not forget under that marvellous exterior lies a delightful spirit. I hear you are quite a chemist. Always a job for you at my company!"