Pimp My PC: Character Optimization Workshop

N/A

In hindsight, I probably should've given Divine some Comprehend and Morph. I'm pretty sure most of the Greek gods can appear to mortals however the hell they want, especially Aphrodite. And "beauty" is so subjective. I could still do all that, but it would mean lowering her to PL10 in combat to free up the points. Which, if it were my character, I wouldn't have any problem with.

However, I've spent all the time and energy on this character that I'm going to.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Black Hand

Power Level: 12 (Combat PL8)

Tradeoffs: None (+2 ATK/DEF, -2 DMG/TOUGH @PL8)

Power Points: 180

Abilities 8 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 8 = 48PP

Strength 18 (+4)

Dexterity 18 (+4)

Constitution 18 (+4)

Intelligence 18 (+4)

Wisdom 18 (+4)

Charisma 18 (+4)

Combat 20 + 12 = 32PP

Initiative +8

Attack +10 Base

Damage +4 Unarmed, +6 Costume

Defense +6 Base, +3 Flat-Footed, +10 Dodge

Toughness +4, +6 Costume

Grapple +14

Knockback 2, 3 Costume

Saving Throws 2 + 4 + 6 = 12PP

Fortitude +6 (2PP)

Reflex +8 (4PP)

Will +10 (6PP)

Skills 16R = 4PP

Notice 8 (+12)

Sense Motive 8 (+12)

[All STR] 0 (+4)

[All DEX] 0 (+4)

[All INT] 0 (+4)

[All WIS] 0 (+4)

[All CHA] 0 (+4)

Feats 42PP

Benefit 3 (Wealth 3)

Connected

Contacts

Dodge Focus 4

Elusive Target

Endurance

Equipment 25

Evasion

Improved Initiative

Improvised Tools

Jack of All Trades

Uncanny Dodge 2 (Audio, Olfactory)

Powers 42PP

Descriptors: Genius, Indomitable Will, Training

Badass Normal 8.2 (41PP Container, Feats: Innate, Extras: Duration [Continuous], Flaws: Permanent) [42PP]

Comprehend 3 (Languages 3 [Read/Write/Speak/Understand Any, Drawbacks: Power Loss [Earth/Human Languages Only]) [5PP]

Immunity 6 (Fear, Interaction Skills, Flaws: Limited [1/2 Effect]) [3PP]

Polymath 3 (Variable Power, 15PP, Multiple Skills & Feats At Once, Extras: Action 2 [Free], Duration [Continuous]) [30PP]

Quickness 3 (x10) [3PP]

Abilities 48 + Combat 32 + Saving Throws 12 + Skills 4 + Feats 42 + Powers 42 - Drawbacks 0 = 180 Power Points

Equipment 25PP = 125EP

Arsenal 11 (22EP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 9) [31EP]

Base Power: Acid: Corrosion 6 [18EP]

Alternate Power: Bolas: Snare 6 + Trip 6 (Feats: Improved Throw) [19EP]

Alternate Power: Fear Gas Pellets: Emotion Control 12 (Drawbacks: Reduced Range 2 [2 Increments], Extras: Area [General, Cloud], Flaws: Limited [Fear], Range [Ranged]) [10EP]

Alternate Power: Flash/Bang Grenades: Dazzle 8 (Visual + Audio Senses, Drawbacks: Reduced Range 2 [2 Increments], Extras: Area [General, Burst], Flaws: Unreliable [5 Uses]) [22EP]

Alternate Power: Plastic Explosive: Damage 10 (Feats: Progression [Reverse Area] 9, Triggered, Extras: Area [General, Burst], Flaws: Unreliable [5 Uses]) [19EP]

Alternate Power: Poisoned Shuriken: Paralyze 6 (Feats: Progression [Area], Extras: Area [Targeted, Cone], Selective Attack, Flaws: Unreliable [5 Uses]) [19EP]

Alternate Power: Shuriken: Damage 2 (Feats: Mighty 4, Progression [Area] 2, Extras: Area [Targeted, Cone], Selective Attack) [12EP]

Alternate Power: Sleep Gas Grenades: Stun 8 (Drawbacks: Reduced Range 2 [2 Increments], Extras: Area [General, Cloud], Range [Ranged], Flaws: Unreliable [5 Uses]) [22EP]

Alternate Power: Smoke Pellets: Obscure 3 (Visual + Olfactory Senses, 25ft Radius, Extras: Independent, Total Fade) [12EP]

Alternate Power: Tear Gas Grenades: Dazzle 8 (Visual + Olfactory Senses, Drawbacks: Reduced Range 2 [2 Increments], Extras: Area [General, Cloud], Flaws: Unreliable [5 Uses]) [22EP]

Costume: Damage 2 (Feats: Mighty) + Protection 2 (Feats: Second Chance 2 [bullets, Fire]) [7EP]

Gadgets 2 (Variable Power, 10EP, Multiple Equipment At Once, Extras: Action 2 [Free], Duration [Continuous]) [20EP]

Gas Mask [1EP]

Goggles: Super-Senses 2 (Infravision, Low-Light Vision) [2EP]

Grapple-Gun: Super-Movement 1 (Swinging) [2EP]

Voice Modulator: Morph 2 (+10 Disguise, Single Form, Flaws: Limited [Voice]) [1EP]

Vehicle [35EP]

Size: Huge [2EP]

Strength: 50 [4EP]

Defense: -2

Toughness: +12 [3EP]

Features: [15EP]

Alarm 5 (DC40)

Caltrops

Communications**

Computer**

Jumping Jacks*

Navigation System

Nitro Injectors*

Off-Road*

Oil Slick

Remote Control

Tire Inflators*

Powers: [11EP]

Impervious Toughness 6

Speed 5 [11EP]

Headquarters [26EP]

Size: Huge (3EP)

Toughness: +10 (1EP)

Features: (22EP)

Communications

Computers

Concealed 3 (+20DC)

Defense Systems 2 (Damage [Electricity], Stun [Gas])

Fire Prevention System

Garage

Gym

Infirmary

Laboratory

Library

Living Space

Pool

Power System

Security System 5 (DC40)

Workshop

:arrow: The rough draft of my Platinum character, the Batman ripoff (or, as I like to call them, "Batclones") who will replace The Scarab.

Just some quick discussion and analysis regarding this build and the philosophy behind it:

This is an advanced build for advanced players. It makes use of concepts and game mechanics that both demonstrate and require an intimate knowledge and comprehension of M&M2E game mechanics. This is the deep end of the pool - dive in at your own risk.

This build also skirts the very edge of what I (and I suspect the other Staff) would allow for any player character, in this game or another. The only reason I'd even consider allowing this kind of build is because the character is both very focused in this concept/role and underpowered in terms of raw combat ability.

I decided that the Exemplar build from Worlds of Freedom was the best build I'd seen yet for Badass Normals with Charles Atlas Superpowers, like Batman, Captain America, The Punisher, or Mr. Terrific - characters who are technically "non-powered," yet capable of feats no "normal" person could dream of. People who represent the peak of human potential. So I mercilessly ripped it off - er, that is, "mined it for inspiration." I also wanted the character to be Crazy-Prepared like Batman, so some form of Gadgets was probably necessary.

Everything about the character, from the Comprehend power to the two variable powers (Polymath and Gadgets) exemplifies the underlying M&M2E philosophy of "round it off / close enough." If you look at powers like Concealment, Dazzle, and Illusion, you'll notice that there is a cost threshold at which point they just say "you have everything," rather than forcing you to purchase everything individually. Concealment could potentially go to rank 12, but they cap it at 10. Dazzle and Illusion could go to 6PP/rank, but they cap at 4.

I wanted lots of skills, lots of feats, and lots of languages in particular. After adding them all up, I decided to avoid paying for every single individual trait by any means necessary.

The Polymath variable pool in particular struck me as the best way to do "Batman-on-a-budget." You pay a heavy overhead price, but in exchange you get significant flexibility. Having this pool allowed me to purchase only those skills and feats which I either need all the time, or may need without notice (when suprised, flat-footed, another character's action, etc. - any situation where I'm incapable of taking a Free Action to reset the pool). The more situational skills and feats can then be purchased, well, situationally. I'm paying 20PP for 10PP worth of traits, but being able to switch out those traits every round without interruption is a potent ability, well worth the premium cost.

Since the pool can purchase skills in multiples of 4, I tried to make sure my Ability bonuses came in multiples of 4 as well. That way, I can hit the "magic" numbers (+12, +16, +20) without "wasting" any skill ranks.

I think the container and the powers within it justify the Innate feat. They're not actually "powers," so Nullify shouldn't take them away. You can't use Nullify to turn off someone's ability to think or move. For that, you'd need Drain Dexterity, or Drain Intelligence, or Drain Strength. Any attempt to Boost the "powers" would just temporarily replace the existing ranks with the equal-or-higher Boosted versions - Boost Speed 5 would leave me with Speed 5, not Speed 6.

I would assume that although the Polymath pool itself is Innate, the traits purchased with it are not. So any character with Drain Skills or Drain Feats would sap away traits temporarily acquired with Polymath as well as those outside it.

The 1/2 Immunity to Age is meant to represent someone who will (barring unforeseen circumstances) live to the far extreme of the normal human life expectancy, and who will age very gracefully. Age penalties will apply, but at either half the penalty or half the rate they normally would.

Endurance gives a substantial bonus to resist most conditions covered by the 1PP Immunities. I purchased 1/2 Immunity to Age, Disease, and Poison, since they aren't covered by Endurance.

All of the character's stuff is Equipment rather than Devices. I didn't want to cross the line between Costumed Detective and Gadgeteer/Battlesuit. The really high-end super-science is a niche I wanted to leave to characters like Doktor Archeville and Quark, who are dedicated to it.

I got the idea for a variable pool of Equipment from Elric's Bat-build at the ATT. I figured the 7PP/rank tier of Variable Power should suffice for "any piece of Equipment, multiple pieces at once." I did not apply any Device discount like Gadgets has, since I was already getting the "power" for Equipment prices.

I honestly don't know whether I should be allowed to temporarily purchase new Alternate Powers for the Arsenal Array with the Equipment variable pool or not.

For the first few adventures, I'm not planning on putting this character up against anything tougher than the generic criminals, mobsters, and assassins in the core book, with maybe the occasional one-on-one bout with a PL10 or lower named villain (Orion and Silencer spring immediately to mind). Hence, I went ahead and capped the combat traits at PL8, in order to free up points to spend in other areas. I doubt Batman hits the same combat caps as the rest of the Justice League, yet he still finds ways to make himself an indispensible part of the team.

I got the idea for a variable pool of Equipment from Elric's Bat-build at the ATT. I figured the 7PP/rank tier of Variable Power should suffice for "any piece of Equipment, multiple pieces at once." I did not apply any Device discount like Gadgets has, since I was already getting the "power" for Equipment prices.

Yes! I'm a huge fan of Elric's work, especially his (many) takes on Batman. I'd agree the Device discount shouldn't apply.

I honestly don't know whether I should be allowed to temporarily purchase new Alternate Powers for the Arsenal Array with the Equipment variable pool or not.

I'm inclined to say no. That negates the main downside of VPs to Arrays, that of high cost. You can get a decent array then just use a rank 1 VP for unlimited APs.

I feel like I should say this for the benefit of anyone reading this thread with limited experience in Variable Powers. My character Breakdown has one, and a few of my characters in Face to Face games have had them. I would also like to preface this post with an apology to ShaenTheBrain for butting in on his thread. But I just had to speak my mind.

The Polymath variable pool in particular struck me as the best way to do "Batman-on-a-budget." You pay a heavy overhead price, but in exchange you get significant flexibility. Having this pool allowed me to purchase only those skills and feats which I either need all the time, or may need without notice (when suprised, flat-footed, another character's action, etc. - any situation where I'm incapable of taking a Free Action to reset the pool). The more situational skills and feats can then be purchased, well, situationally. I'm paying 20PP for 10PP worth of traits, but being able to switch out those traits every round without interruption is a potent ability, well worth the premium cost.

Since the pool can purchase skills in multiples of 4, I tried to make sure my Ability bonuses came in multiples of 4 as well. That way, I can hit the "magic" numbers (+12, +16, +20) without "wasting" any skill ranks.

When I made my characters, I gave the VP's about as much thought as that first paragraph. The second one I didn't consider, but it's a great idea. What I would like to share comes from one character in particular who I played in an F2F game.

Stellar was the characters name, and he was your generic Cosmic Energy Controller slash Mystic with more points in Powers than he knew what to do with. I spent 10pp on 1 rank of the Mental Polymath Variable Power with the descriptor, "Secrets of the Universe." In so much that at any time, Stellar could reach into the astronomical amount of information granted him by his enlightenment and awakening to the way the universe works. As a free action, he could learn to do anything skills and feats, and spend 5pp in those areas. As a result, I spent almost no power points (about 10 total) in those areas at character creation.

However, despite my lack of focus in those areas, the addition of the Variable Power worked like a charm. It worked so well, in fact, that I never wanted for anything in any situation. Ever. And this wasn't because I wasn't challenged. Geez3r was the one running the game, and as anyone who has played a game with him can tell you, he's a tough GM. The reason I never wanted for anything was the Variable Power. 90% of the time, I couldn't even thing of things to spend all 5pp on. This was after I'd bought both All-Out-Attack and Power Attack and Interpose and... Well, you get the idea.

The bottom line is, I didn't have fun playing that character. He was able to do too much. Flexibility is a wonderful thing. It is expensive, and it is wonderful. But you should be very careful when you use it, because it WILL get out of hand. Fast.

You touch on a good point, Quote. The same point I was trying to make, in fact. I would not be comfortable with a character such as the one you described taking this sort of Variable Power, since they have so much other phenomenal cosmic power to draw upon.

This character can't create Earth-shattering KA-BOOMs with a snap of his fingers. He can't fly under his own power or survive the vacuum of outer space unscathed. His "powers" amount to some Limited Immunities (effectively a small save bonus), and running a little faster, jumping a little higher, and reading a little faster, than an average human. He's got some throwing stars and gas grenades. And that's about it. This character being able to call up any skills or feats he needs on a moment's notice is nowhere near as potentially broken as it would be if you tacked it onto the end of, say, DarkStar's sheet.

I would also like to preface this post with an apology to ShaenTheBrain for butting in on his thread. But I just had to speak my mind.

Appreciated, but unnecessary. Outside discussion is welcome and even encouraged in this thread.

I revised the BH build slightly. I lowered the saves and skills, rolled a couple more feats up into the variable power, increased the variable power rank, and added a bunch of Equipment ranks to give him some fancy transportation. The saves now average out to PL8. As usual, even though I highly recommend every character grab a couple ranks of it, Luck was one of the first things I cut from the build when I needed to free up points. I also ditched several of the physical powers, since after doing the math I realized they would allow him to perform feats beyond the scope of the concept.

I'll try out the larger variable power at first. If I find that I don't wind up using all 15PP routinely, or if I find that there are around 5PP worth of skills and/or feats that I wind up assigning points to more often than not, then I'll trim back the VP and save a few points. We'll see.

Atlas

Power Level: 14

Tradeoffs: -5 Attack / +5 Damage, -5 Defense / +5 Toughness

Power Points: 250

Abilities 20 + 0 + 24 + 0 + 0 + 4 = 48PP

Str: 30 (+10), 38 (+14) Growth, 48 (+19) Growth/Rage

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 34 (+12), 38 (+14) Growth

Int: 10 (+0)

Wis: 10 (+0)

Cha: 14 (+2)

Combat 12 + 12 = 24PP

Initiative +0

Attack +6 Base, +5 Growth, +10 Melee/Improvised-Thrown, +9 Growth/Melee/Improvised-Thrown

Damage +10 Unarmed, +14 Growth/Unarmed, +19 Growth/Rage/Unarmed, +19 Mental Powers

Defense +10 (+6 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +9 Growth), +7 Growth/Rage, +3 Flat-Footed

Grapple +20, +28 Growth, +33 Growth/Rage, Up To +50 w/Super-Strength

Knockback 16, 20 Growth, Up To 37 w/Immovable

Saving Throws 0 + 7 + 8 = 15PP

Toughness +17 (Impervious 14) (+12 CON, +5 Protection), +19 Growth

Fortitude +12 (+12 CON, +0PP), +14 Growth, +19 Growth/Rage

Reflex +7 (+0 DEX, +7PP)

Will +8 (+0 WIS, +8PP), +13 Rage

Skills 88R = 22PP

Bluff 8 (+10)

Diplomacy 8 (+10)

Disguise 0 (+2), Up to +42 w/Morph

Gather Info 8 (+10)

Handle Animal 8 (+10)

Intimidate 19 (+21, +23 Growth, +17 Shrinking)

Knowledge (Streetwise) 10 (+10)

Language 1 (English, Russian [Native])

Notice 10 (+10)

Sense Motive 10 (+10)

Stealth 0 (+0, -4 Growth, +4 Shrinking)

Survival 6 (+6)

Feats 32PP

All-Out Attack

Attack Focus (Melee) 4

Attack Specialization (Improvised Thrown Weapons) 2

Dodge Focus 4

Fast Task 2 (Demoralize, Startle [Move Actions])

Grappling Finesse

Improved Grab

Improved Pin

Interpose

Last Stand

Luck 3

Power Attack

Rage 6 (15 Rounds, +10 Strength, +5 Fortitude, +5 Will, -2 Defense)

Startle

Stunning Attack

Takedown Attack

Ultimate Effort (Toughness Saves)

Powers 19 + 1 + 17 + 2 + 43 + 31 + 3 = 116PP

Impervious Toughness 14 + Protection 5 [19PP]

Enhanced Strength 0 (Feats: Knockback) [1PP]

Growth 4 (Large, +8 Strength, +4 Constitution, -1 Attack, -1 Defense, +2 Intimidate, -4 Stealth, +4 Grapple, -4 Knockback, +5 Strength [Carry Capacity], Feats: Alternate Power, Extras: Duration [Continuous]) [17PP]

Alternate Power: Shrinking 4 (Small, +1 Attack, +1 Defense, -4 Grapple, +4 Knockback, -2 Intimidate, +4 Stealth, 3/4 Strength [Carry Capacity], Feats: Normal Movement, Normal Toughness, Extras: Duration [Continuous], Normal Strength) [14PP]

Immunity 2 (Critical Hits) [2PP]

Protean Might 17 (34PP, Feats: Alternate Power [Dynamic] 4, Dynamic) [43PP]

Base Power (Dynamic): Super-Strength 17 (Lifting STR 115, 128 Growth, 138 Rage) [34PP]

Alternate Power (Dynamic): Immovable 17 (Extras: Duration [Continuous], Unstoppable, Flaws: Action [Free]) [34PP]

Alternate Power (Dynamic): Leaping 32 (x250,000,000,000) [34PP]

Alternate Power (Dynamic): Morph 8 (+40 Disguise, Any Form, Extras: Duration [Continuous]) [32PP]

Alternate Power (Dynamic): Strike 0 (Feats: Mighty) + Trip 19 (Feats: Improved Throw, Extras: Knockback, Flaws: Range [Touch]) [21PP]

Psionics 14 (28PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 3) [31PP]

Base Power: Communication 11 (Mental, 2,000,000 miles, Feats: Rapid [x10], Subtle, Extras: Two-Way) + Comprehend 2 (Languages 2 [speak/Understand Any]) [28PP]

Alternate Power: Emotion Control 14 (Extras: Area [General, Burst], Flaws: Limited [Fear]) [28PP]

Alternate Power: Drain Will 19 (Feats: Reversible, Slow Fade [1/minute], Flaws: Requires Grapple) + Mind Reading 19 (Flaws: Range 2 [Touch], Requires Grapple) [17PP]

Alternate Power: Drain Wisdom 19 (Feats: Slow Fade [1/minute], Extras: Alternate Save [Will], Flaws: Requires Grapple) + Healing 5 (Recovery +19, Extras: Action [standard], Restorative, Total, Flaws: Limited [Cannot Cure Disease/Poison], Personal) [26PP]

Regeneration 2 (Resurrection 2 [1/day], Feats: Regrowth) [3PP]

Drawbacks 7PP

• [*:34h93aaw]One Of Us (Frequency: Uncommon, Intensity: Minor) [1PP] Atlas counts as a Grue.
    [*:34h93aaw]Rage (Frequency: Very Common, Intensity: Minor) [3PP] When Atlas activates his Rage feat, he must also activate Growth, at the maximum possible rank, and he must cease maintaining Morph if it is active.
    [*:34h93aaw]Vulnerability (Grue Mental Powers, Frequency: Uncommon, Intensity: Major [x2]) [3PP]

Abilities 48 + Combat 24 + Saving Throws 15 + Skills 22 + Feats 32 + Powers 116 - Drawbacks 7 = 250 Power Points

Geez3r said he had run out of ideas on how to build a PL14/PP250 Atlas that would be more interesting to play, instead of just one that resists more damage and lifts more weight. I had a few ideas, so I figured I'd take a swing at it.

This version trades in some of his lifting strength in exchange for a ton of flexibility. This Atlas is still an unparalleled powerhouse, but he also brings to the table information-gathering, infiltration, and even long-range communication. (He can still leap into orbit. :D )

I took the idea that Atlas is basically a Grue warrior and ran with it. At their core, Grue are psychic vampire shapeshifters, so I designed him accordingly. He has Continuous Growth, Shrinking, and Morph, allowing him to assume any solid form from 2-8 feet in height/length at will. I'm assuming that his "baseline" form is a red-skinned humanoid that may or may not look like a full-blown Grue. His baseline form is significantly stronger and tougher than a Grue Infiltrator, to reflect his purpose as a living weapon.

As a shout-out to The Incredible Hulk, a deference to his aforementioned purpose as a living weapon, and as a cost-cutting measure, I went ahead and gave him MAXIMUM RAGE!!!

The Knockback feat on his Strength increases the knockback value of his punches by 1. So while Raging, it goes from 19 to 20. Which would theoretically allow him to overcome his own base knockback value of 20. In essence, he can "punch his own weight."

The Strike + Trip A.P. is built a little bit differently from the Climbing Kick power in Me&Ma, allowing Atlas to punch his foe across town without giving up his Strength. Just in case.

He has the same touch-range Drain Wisdom and Mind Reading that Grue Metamorphs have, only much more effective for two reasons: First, I am much better at building characters than Steve Kenson is. Second, Atlas can achieve a truly ridiculous grapple score. The high Drain Wisdom also gives him an alternative way to render foes unconscious, instead of just punching them in the face.

The Drain Will + Mind Reading is basically a nasty Disintegrate version of Mind Reading - he hammers your mental defenses into powder, and then he sees what there is to see.

Since you can't roll less than 1 on a Recovery check, when he uses his Drain WIS + Total Healing power, Atlas will automatically recover from his 3 worst wound conditions, minimum (1 on the die +19 recovery = DC20, 2 5-point increments above the base DC10).

I went with an Emotion Control A.P. over Fearsome Presence for two reasons: First, I needed to trim back some points, and 1PP is cheaper than 14PP. Second, it seemed appropriate, as he is both a psychic and (potentially) an 8-foot-tall walking doomsday machine.

The Rage drawback is kind of like an Involuntary Transformation that you can trigger voluntarily, fused with a situational Full Power drawback for Growth and a Power Loss drawback for Morph. Whenever Atlas decides to free the beast within, he automatically shifts into his red-skinned baseline form and activates maximum Growth. Think of it as him "shifting into 'battle form.'"

Keep in mind that, since it's a Sustained power, Atlas can't use his Mental Communication while Raging.

My turn:

Atlas

Power Level: 14

Tradeoffs: -5 Attack / +5 Damage, -5 Defense / +5 Toughness

Power Points: 250

Abilities 68PP

Str: 40 (+15), 48 (+19) Growth

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 44 (+17), 48 (+19) Growth

Int: 10 (+0)

Wis: 10 (+0)

Cha: 14 (+2)

Combat 12 + 12 = 26PP

Initiative +0

Attack +7 Base, +6 Growth, +9 Improvised Thrown, +10 Melee, +9 Growth/Melee, +8 Growth/Improved Melee

Damage +14 Unarmed, +19 Growth/Unarmed, +14 Emotion Control, +19 other Mental Powers

Defense +10 (+6 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +9 Growth), +3 Flat-Footed

Grapple +25, +33 Growth, +44 full Super-Strength

Knockback -15, -20 Growth

Saving Throws 22PP

Toughness +17, +19 Growth (Impervious 14)

Fortitude +17, (+17 Con, 0)+19 Growth

Reflex +7 (+0 DEX, +7PP)

Will +15 (+0 WIS, +15PP)

Skills 88R = 22PP

Bluff 13 (+15)

Diplomacy 13 (+15)

Disguise 0 (+2), Up to +49 w/Morph

Gather Info 8 (+10)

Handle Animal 8 (+10)

Intimidate 19 (+21, +23 Growth, +17 Shrinking)

Knowledge (Streetwise) 8 (+8)

Language 1 (English, Russian [Native])

Notice 11 (+11)

Stealth 0 (+0, -4 Growth, +4 Shrinking)

Survival 7 (+7)

Feats 20PP

Accurate Attack

All-Out Attack

Attack Focus (Melee) 3

Attack Specialization (Improvised Thrown Weapons) 1

Dodge Focus 4

Improved Grab

Interpose

Last Stand

Luck 3

Power Attack

Startle

Takedown Attack

Ultimate Effort (Toughness Saves)

Powers 92PP

Impervious Toughness 14 [14PP]

Growth 4 (Large, +8 Strength, +4 Constitution, -1 Attack, -1 Defense, +2 Intimidate, -4 Stealth, +4 Grapple, -4 Knockback, +5 Strength [Carry Capacity], Feats: Alternate Power, Extras: Duration [Continuous]) [17PP]

Alternate Power: Shrinking 4 (Small, +1 Attack, +1 Defense, -4 Grapple, +4 Knockback, -2 Intimidate, +4 Stealth, 3/4 Strength [Carry Capacity], Feats: Normal Movement, Normal Toughness, Extras: Duration [Continuous], Normal Strength) [14PP]

Immunity 2 (Critical Hits) [2PP]

Protean Might 13 (26PP, Feats: Alternate Power [Dynamic] 4, Dynamic) [32PP]

Base Power (Dynamic): Super-Strength 11 PF: Freeze Breath, Megaton Punch, Shockwave (Lifting STR 95, 108 Growth) [26PP]

Alternate Power (Dynamic): Leaping 26 (x500,000,000) [26PP]

Alternate Power (Dynamic): Morph 8 (+40 Disguise, Any Form) [24PP]

Alternate Power (Dynamic): Healing 11 (Extras: Total, Flaws: Personal) [24PP]

Psionics 12 (24PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 2) [26PP]

Base Power: Communication 9 (Mental, 20,000 miles, Feats: Rapid [x10], Subtle, Extras: Two-Way) + Comprehend 2 (Languages 2 [speak/Understand Any]) [24PP]

Alternate Power: Emotion Control 14 (Extras: Area [General, Burst], Selective Flaws: Limited [Fear], Range - Touch (2)) [14PP]

Alternate Power: Drain Will 19 (Feats: Reversible, Slow Fade [1/minute], Flaws: Requires Grapple) + Mind Reading 19 (Extras:Action, Flaws: Range 2 [Touch], Requires Grapple) [22PP]

Regeneration 1 (Resurrection 1 [1/week]) [1PP]

Drawbacks 0PP

None

Abilities 68 + Combat 26 + Saving Throws 22 + Skills 22 + Feats 20 + Powers 92 - Drawbacks 0 = 250 Power Points

Here's my version of Shaen's version of Atlas :D

:arrow: My build is very similar to Shaen's, but it has been modified to fit my vision of Atlas and also my play style. Choosing between these two builds is like choosing between 2 models of cars; they'll get you to where you want to go, the ride will just be a little different.

:arrow: The two biggest changes I made are getting rid of the Rage feats and all of the Drawbacks. This will be Atlas post the Grue Invasion, so while he may have had Rage in the past, he doesn't have it now. And even if he did, it's something he'd never use in 999/1000 battles. Also, I don't like the fact that Rage sort of limits your staying power. Atlas should be a forced to be reckoned with in 1st round of combat and in the 21st. The Drawbacks also go away after the Invasion. Basically so the Grue just don't try the same thing again next week.

:arrow: However, because Drawbacks and the Rage feat are quite efficient, I had to make the different up elsewhere. I trimmed the feats quite heavily, and many of the Array settings also waved bye-bye.

:arrow: I toned down the psionics a little. Atlas has psionic abilities, but he's not a master telepath, that viscious mind probe aside. I also got rid of the pyschic vampire bit because its something Atlas would pretty much never do, so it's reserved for a particularly vicious power stunt.

:arrow: I kept Atlas' Super-Strength at where it is today because its already insane and I feel I've hit the point of diminishing returns. That, and Atlas's +44 grapple is already just shy of broken, especially when you consider that Atlas can have you in both a physical grapple and a mental grapple at the same time.

:arrow: Overall, a smaller selection of abilities, but more constant performance in those abilities.

• 1 month later...

Hiya Shaen! If you could, I'd like you to take another look at Gossamer. The one thing I recently discovered is that she can't use her Snare attack at range, since it's an AP just like Elongation. I'd also like to boost her Device a bit, givinging tricorder-like analytic powers. In addition to her current pp, she has 5 unspent ones.

Would appreciate any help you can offer me here, bud. :D

I'm planning on putting 5 more PP into Jack's Strike to give it Autofire 2, at which point I'd like to start giving him some APs to reflect specific energy blade effects. If you get a chance, do you have any thoughts or advice for me? I'll be working with a pool of 23 PP. I was thinking about some obvious stuff like a Stunning electrical sword or a more general visual Dazzle effect, maybe a fire sword with a burning Secondary Effect. I guess I'm asking what's worth picking up and how to assign the small pool of points in the most economical manner.

So I've been tooling around with Wesley a bit. When he gets three more points he'll look like this. Any thoughts?

Trades-Offs: -4 Defense for +4 to Toughness

Unspent PPs: 0 (180/180)

Characters Name: Wesley Knight

Alternate Identity: None yet

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 190 lbs

Hair: black

Eyes: green

Description: An athleticly built brown skinned man. Hair in thick dreadlocks. Mostly seen in black baggy cargo pants, high-top sneakers, and a tanktop.

History: Read here

Personality & Motivation: He wants to help people with his gifts, never to grieviously harm anyone like he did in his past.

Powers & Tactics: He has power over almost all living things. He can see "see" them with his thoughts. He can use his powers to mess with them. He mostly supports his teammates by healing their wounds and throwing the enemy's chemistry out of whack.

Stats: 4+4+4+2+4+2 = 20pp

Str: 14 (+2)

Dex: 14 (+2)

Con: 42/14 (+16/+2)

Int: 12 (+1)

Wis: 14 (+2)

Cha: 12 (+1)

Combat: 24+16 = 40pp

Attack: +12

Grapple: +14

Defense: +8 (+4 flat-footed)

Knockback: -7/-1

Initiative: +2

Saves 0+8+8 = 16pp

Toughness: +16/+2 (+16/+2 Con, +0)

Fortitude: +16/+2 (+16/+2 Con, +0)

Reflex: +10 (+2 Dex, +8)

Will: +10 (+2 Wis, +8)

Skills: 44r=11pp

Concentration 0 (+16)

Craft (artistic) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (current events) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (life sciences) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (pop culture) 4 (+5)

Knowledge (streetwise) 4 (+5)

Language 2 (Cantonese, English [base], Mandarin)

Medicine 3 (+5)

Notice 8 (+10)

Profession (Tattoo Artist) 3 (+5)

Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Feats: 8pp

Accurate Attack

All-Out Attack

Benefit (Constitution for Concentration)

Defensive Attack

Equipment 1

Luck 2

Power Attack

Powers: 32+55+5 = 92pp

Enhanced Constitution 32 [32pp]

Life Control 12 (48pp effects; Power Feat: Alternate Power 7) [55pp]

* BE: Nauseate 12 (Extra: Range/Perception)

* AP: Emotion Control 12 (Extra: Alternate Save/Fortitude)

* AP: Fatigue 12 (Extra: Range/Perception)

* AP: Healing 12 (Extra: Range/Perception)

* AP: Mind Control 12 (Extra: Alternate Save/Fortitude, Conscious, Duration/Sustained, Effortless; Flaw: Distracting)

* AP: Paralyze 12 (Extra: Alternate Save/Fortitude, Range/Perception)

* AP: Stun 12 (Extra: Range/Perception)

* AP: Transform 12 (living to living; Extra: Duration/Continuous; Flaws: Distracting, Range/Touch; Power Feat: Precise; Drawback: Must touch epidermis)

Super-Senses 6 (Detect Life [Mental; Accurate, Acute, Analytical, Ranged; Drawback: Noticeable/Glowing Green Eyes]) [5pp]

Drawbacks: 4+3 = 7pp

Recurring Nightmares (Chance of nightmare with every sleep, check of DC 5 causes nightmare, after nightmare is fatigued until restful sleep; -4)

Vulnerability (to Transforms and other attacks that involuntarily change his shape or form, x2 to DC modifier; Uncommon, Major; -3)

Costs: Abilities (20) + Combat (40) + Saves (16) + Skills (11) + Feats (8) + Powers (92) - Drawbacks (7) = 180

Re: Wesley

Mostly, the build looks solid.

However, it seems like a real waste to have a full base Attack bonus, all 4 of the tradeoff feats, and an array of nothing but Perception-range powers.

That's why I recommended dropping them to Ranged (or even Touch) - being able to take advantage of tradeoffs and temporary tradeoff feats is a huge advantage, especially for AltSave powers. In my experience, the autohit feature of Perception-range doesn't really offset the loss of the aforementioned advantage. At PL12, he isn't going to miss much, especially with a couple of extra Hero Points in his back pocket.

I'd change the Profession skill to "Body Art" so he can do piercings and the like as well.

I'd also shrink the HQ by 1 size category, and use the extra EP to buy the Living Space feature.

I'm planning on putting 5 more PP into Jack's Strike to give it Autofire 2, at which point I'd like to start giving him some APs to reflect specific energy blade effects. If you get a chance, do you have any thoughts or advice for me? I'll be working with a pool of 23 PP. I was thinking about some obvious stuff like a Stunning electrical sword or a more general visual Dazzle effect, maybe a fire sword with a burning Secondary Effect. I guess I'm asking what's worth picking up and how to assign the small pool of points in the most economical manner.

Autofire 1 on a rank 5 effect seems like a waste. The maximum bonus damage you could get is +2, from rolling 4 over the DC. Autofire 2 is a much better option, since you can either get +2 from rolling 2 over the DC, or get a maximum of +5 from rolling 10 over the DC. I'd recommend the latter, especially with a +17 Attack.

Here's what I came up with:

Energy Sword 5 (Corrosion, Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty, Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Energy], Drawbacks: Limited [Available Energy], Extras: Penetrating [5]) [23PP]

Alternate Power: Energy Sword Flurry 5 (Damage, Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty, Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Energy], Drawbacks: Limited [Available Energy], Extras: Autofire 3) [23PP]

Alternate Power: Create Object 7 (Feats: Selective, Tether, Extras: Impervious, Flaws: Range [Touch]) [16PP]

Alternate Power: Dazzle 7 (Visual Senses, Feats: Improved Critical, Extras: Autofire 2, Flaws: Range [Touch]) [22PP]

Alternate Power: Stun 7 (Feats: Improved Critical, Sedation, Extras: Autofire) [23PP]

Power Level: 10 (8)

Tradeoffs: None (+2 ATK/DEF, -2 DMG/TOUGH @PL8)

Power Points: 150

Abilities 6 + 8 + 6 + 8 + 8 + 8 = 44PP

Strength 16 (+3)

Dexterity 18 (+4)

Constitution 16 (+3)

Intelligence 18 (+4)

Wisdom 18 (+4)

Charisma 18 (+4)

Combat 8 + 8 = 16PP

Initiative +8

Attack +4, +8 Unarmed/Ranged, +6 @Night, +10 @Night/Unarmed/Ranged

Damage +3 Unarmed (+5 Sneak Attack), +4 Unarmed/Costume/Shuriken (+6 Sneak Attack)

Defense +4, +2 Flat-Footed, +10 Dodge

Toughness +3, +6 Costume

Grapple +7

Knockback 2, 3 Costume

Saving Throws 2 + 4 + 6 = 12PP

Fortitude +5 (2PP)

Reflex +8 (4PP)

Will +10 (6PP)

Skills 24R = 6PP

Notice 12 (+16)

Sense Motive 12 (+16)

[All STR Skills] 0 (+3)

[All DEX Skills] 0 (+4)

[All INT Skills] 0 (+4)

[All WIS Skills] 0 (+4)

[All CHA Skills] 0 (+4)

Feats 46PP

Attack Focus (Ranged) 4

Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 2

Benefit 4 (Fame, Wealth 3)

Connected

Contacts

Dodge Focus 4

Elusive Target

Endurance

Equipment 18 (90EP)

Evasion

Favored Environment (Night) 2

Improved Initiative

Improvised Tools

Jack of All Trades

Light Sleeper

Sneak Attack

Powers 26PP

Badass Normal 5 (25PP Container [Passive], Feats: Innate) [26PP]

Immunity 8 (Age, Fear, Interaction Skills, Sleep, Flaws: Limited [1/2 Effect]) [4PP]

Polymath 2 (10PP Variable Power, Multiple Skills & Feats At Once, Extras: Action 2 [Free], Duration [Continuous]) [20PP]

Quickness 1 (x2) [1PP]

Abilities 44 + Combat 16 + Saving Throws 12 + Skills 6 + Feats 46 + Powers 26 = 150 Power Points

Equipment 18PP = 90EP

Arsenal 12 (24EP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 8) [32EP]

Cape

Shield 2 [2EP]

Super-Movement 1 (Slow Fall) [2EP]

Costume

Protection 3 [3EP]

Strike 1 (Feats: Mighty) [2EP]

Gadgets 2 (10EP Variable Power, Multiple Equipment At Once, Extras: Action 2 [Free], Duration [Continuous]) [20EP]

Gas Mask [1EP]

Goggles

Super-Senses 2 (Infravision, Low-Light Vision) [2EP]

HQ [26EP]

:arrow: I don't think I can wait until I hit Platinum, and I'm not sure I want to permanently retire either The Scarab or Zephyr. That means I have to bring this monster down to 150PP.

:arrow: Reducing this build to 150PP meant it came out as less "Bruce Wayne" and more "Barbara Gordon or Tim Drake."

:arrow: I got rid of Comprehend when I realized that Language is a Skill...

Now that Lukos is officially active, I'd like to submit his candidacy for pimpin'. Note that quite a lot of the things I purchased on his sheet were done for fluff reasons that I felt were important to the concept. I am really looking to see if the concept can be tightened up in any way. (to make room for more fluff, of course :D)

Attack Specialisation 2 in each bolos and shuriken gives you +4 to hit with two ranged weapons, for 4pp. Attack Focus (ranged) 4 would give you +4 to hit with all ranged weapons, for 4pp.

Can't believe I missed that. Thanks for the catch.

Character: The Black Hand

Archetype: Costumed Detective

Power Level: 10

Tradeoffs: +2 Attack / -2 Damage, +2 Defense / -2 Toughness

Power Points: 150

Hero Points: 3

Abilities 8 + 8 + 8 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 42PP

Strength 18 (+4)

Dexterity 18 (+4)

Constitution 18 (+4)

Intelligence 16 (+3)

Wisdom 16 (+3)

Charisma 16 (+3)

Combat 12 + 12 = 24PP

Initiative +8 (+4 DEX, +4 Improved Initiative)

Attack +6 Base, +12 Ranged or Unarmed

Damage +8 (+4 Strength, +2 Costume, +2 Sneak Attack)

Defense +12, +3 Flat-Footed (+6 Base, +4 Dodge Focus, +2 Cape)

Toughness +8 (+4 CON, +1 Cape, +3 Costume)

Grapple +10 (+6 Base Attack, +4 STR)

Knockback 4

Saving Throws 2 + 4 + 7 = 13PP

Fortitude +6 (+4 CON, +2PP)

Reflex +8 (+4 DEX, +4PP)

Will +10 (+3 WIS, +7PP), +14 vs Fear

Skills 24R = 6PP

Notice 12 (+15)

Sense Motive 12 (+15)

Feats 46PP

Attack Focus (Ranged) 6

Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 3

Benefit 3 (Wealth 3)

Dodge Focus 4

Elusive Target

Endurance

Equipment 17

Evasion

Improved Initiative

Jack of All Trades

Light Sleeper

Lion Heart

Luck 2

Quick Draw

Sneak Attack

Powers 21PP

Descriptors: Intelligence, Training

Polymath 2 (10PP Variable Power, Multiple Skills & Feats At Once, Feats: Innate, Extras: Action 2 [Free], Duration [Continuous]) [21PP]

Drawbacks -2PP

Recurring Nightmares (DC15 check to wake up Fatigued) [-2PP]

Abilities 42 + Combat 24 + Saving Throws 13 + Skills 6 + Feats 46 + Powers 21 - Drawbacks 2 = 150 Power Points

Equipment 17PP = 85EP

Arsenal 9 (18EP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 9) [27EP]

• [*:gcbmwuhl]Base Power: Shuriken [16EP]
    Blast 2 (Feats: Mighty 4, Extras: Autofire [8]) [16EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Alternate Power: Acid [16EP]
    Drain Toughness 10 (Feats: Precise, Extras: Affects Objects, Flaws: Unreliable [5 Uses]) [11EP] + Strike 10 (Flaws: Unreliable [5 Uses]) [5EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Alternate Power: Bolos [17EP]
    Snare 6 [12EP] + Trip 6 (Feats: Improved Throw, Drawbacks Reduced Range 2 [2 Increments]) [5EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Alternate Power: Fear Gas [8EP]
    Emotion Control 10 (Drawbacks: Reduced Range 2 [2 Increments], Extras: Area [General, Cloud], Flaws: Limited [Fear], Range [Ranged]) [8EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Alternate Power: Flash/Bang Grenade [18EP]
    Dazzle 10 (Visual + Audio Senses, Drawbacks: Reduced Range 2 [2 Increments], Extras: Area [General, Burst], Flaws: Unreliable 2 [1 Use]) [18EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Alternate Power: Plastic Explosive [15EP]
    Strike 10 (Feats: Progression [Reverse Area] 9, Triggered, Extras: Area [General, Shapeable], Flaws: Action [Full], Unreliable [5 Uses]) [15EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Alternate Power: Poisoned Shuriken [18EP]
    Paralyze 6 (Drawbacks: Reduced Range 2 [2 Increments], Extras: Autofire [8], Range [Ranged], Flaws: Unreliable [5 Uses]) [18EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Alternate Power: Sleep Gas Grenade [XEP]
    Stun 10 (Drawbacks: Reduced Range 2 [2 Increments], Extras: Area [General, Cloud], Range [Ranged], Flaws: Unreliable 2 [1 Use]) [18EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Alternate Power: Smoke Pellets [10EP]
    Obscure 3 (25ft radius, Visual + Olfactory Senses, Drawbacks: Reduced Range 2 [2 Increments], Extras: Independent, Total Fade) [10EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Alternate Power: Tear Gas Grenade [18EP]
    Dazzle 10 (Visual + Olfactory Senses, Drawbacks: Reduced Range 2 [2 Increments], Extras: Area [General, Cloud], Flaws: Unreliable 2 [1 Use]) [18EP]

Cape [5EP]

• [*:gcbmwuhl]Protection 1 [1EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Shield 2 [2EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Super-Movement 1 (Slow Fall) [2EP]

Costume [6EP]

• [*:gcbmwuhl]Protection 3 [3EP]
    [*:gcbmwuhl]Strike 2 (Feats: Mighty) [3EP]

Gadgets [20EP]

• [*:gcbmwuhl]Variable Power 2 (10EP, Multiple Equipment At Once, Extras: Action 2 [Free], Duration [Continuous]) [20EP]

Gas Mask [1EP]

Goggles [2EP]
  • [*:gcbmwuhl]Super-Senses 2 (Infravision, Low-Light Vision) [2EP]

Voice Modulator [2EP]

• [*:gcbmwuhl]Morph 4 (+20 Bluff/Disguise, One Form, Flaws: Limited [Voice]) [2EP]

Headquarters [22EP]

Size: Huge [3EP]

Toughness: +10 [1EP]

Features: [18EP]

Communications

Computer

Concealed 3 (+20DC)

Fire Prevention System

Gym

Infirmary

Laboratory

Library