Time Travelling Team

Vahnyu

Grim has worked with Queenie once (Incursion: Matter over Mind) and Triakosia three times (I:MoM and Namazu the Savior, and Silberman's Grand Opening in their civilian IDs). She and Dancia also know each other's cell numbers and secret IDs, so that's definitely the stronger link.

Also an indirect link between Grim and Miras through Starlight.

Edited by Heritage

It's fully detailed in Worlds of Freedom (pgs. 10-11), so I'll just paste it here:

"The mysterious Associates first came to the attention of the superhuman community during the Malfidian Invasion of 1965. The are apparently a pair of time-travelers from the distant future, able to project their minds back in time to possess human host-bodies. Initially, the Associates were thought to be a man and a woman, but have since shown no preference for the sex of their hosts, and it remains unclear what their true sex(if any) might be.

In fact, it's not entirely certain that the Associates are always the same individuals, although they seem to be. They use the names of their hosts and speak a wide range of human languages (perhaps some sort of "universal translator ability), but they offer no clues as to their real names or identities. All that is known is they appear to have humanity's best interests at heart and the preservation of the future as their primary goal. Of course, exactly which future that is (their own or another) remains unknown.

The Associates appear only rarely, typically to warn of impending disaster and to help avert it, although they prefer to work through intermediaries. They've had the most contact with the UNICORN division of UNISON and display a fondness for working with the international organization. Some speculate this is because they have a more "global" worldview in their future.

The Associates are essentially roving plot-devices for the GAMEMASTER OF GAMES to introduce temporal or dimensional adventures. Their powers, abilities and motives are left for the GM to define, keeping in mind that they are secretive and tend to plat things close to the vest.

The Futurekin, so named because the Associates refer to them as "our future-kin" are their opposite numbers, the other side of a sort of 'temporal cold war' involving the outcome of a number of historic events. Essentially, the Futurekin attempt to change history to suit their plans, while the Associates intervene to stop them and preserve history's 'proper' shape. Just to confuse matters, there are times when it seems the Associates are the ones interfering (as they first did with the Malfidian Invasion[Princess Selene trying to take over Earth through her elite Moon Warriors]), and it is the Futurekin trying to stop them.

Otherwise, the Futurekin are the same as the Associates in terms of their abilities: incorporeal beings from the future able to possess human host bodies. Those who have interacted with them say the Futurekin are "less human" than the Associates, cold, distant and disdainful of "primitives"."

Slight changes to how it was said, no essential datum altered.

​So what this immediately suggests to me is that the Futurekin have infiltrated and taken control of UNICORN, or else they have attempted to in the past and been thwarted or will attempt to in the future, and the Associates feel the need to have an alternate team.

If you don't want to use the Associates, then there's a few ways this could've been created on Hronos's own Initiative.

Basically, the robot travels to the future and sees the group gathered here defeat a threat that would have destroyed the city/the world. But, they all died doing that. So Hronos decides to gather them together and get them to train together so that this time it happens, they'll win and they'll survive!

Edited by Raveled
  • 4 weeks later...

All righty then. Let's start getting things back on track. For starters, my idea is to have one set of heroes looking into the future for a team of villains who plan to weaponise the timeline itself, while the other gets trapped in the past, and in trying to find a way back home, clashes with a powerful warlock who is trying to summon hell on earth. Meanwhile, the Associates and the Futurekin meddle things further with their pressence...

Team Future

• Hronos
  • Blue Stinger
  • Triakosia
  • Queenie

Team Past

• Tsunami
  • Equinox
  • Miras
  • Grimalkin

Any ideas, critiques, and/or suggestions are, as always, welcome.

Pending: Bloodline

Edited by Vahnyu

My only comment would be that if you swap Tria and Equinox, then you have science and magic on both teams. Otherwise you're running heavily to science on Team Future and heavily to magic on Team Past.

Which, you know. If that's your plan, more power to you.

That WAS part of the plan. Also, I wanted to capitulate on the fact that Triakosia, Queenie, Grimalkin, and to a lesser extent Miras, are connected, without stacking the teams so that everyone's familiar with everyone on one team, while no one knows anyone on the other team.

Of course, that's just the beginning step. The teams may find themselves switching roster between the two, depending on how things progress, so science and magic may mingle more. But for now, I think they make sense thematically.

Would you be opposed to black knight maybe signing up with you guys? his main thing so far has been about being shunted around and having weird stuff happening to him. and it'd be a good way for him to learn how to be more knightly if we stray into such time-zones. also a method for blod and him to become familiar for later character plots.

Im more than willing to go towards making him more timey-wimey orientated as the points come in.

I'm cool with the setup. Danny/Stinger will definitely be the new guy, as he just doesn't have many connections at all right now. That's not to say he won't develop more connections in the future, though, so his initial involvement will likely rely pretty heavily on the time travel angle. He is an ascended fanboy, so he would at least be following/familiar with the careers of everyone else, at least.