INTERCEPTORS: Habitat for Heroics

quotemyname

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the first thing we need to do is take stock of what we've got right now, and if it's even being payed for correctly. Mechanically, the Underground has bee handwaved for ages, so I'm guessing it's pretty bad at this point. This is what I've got on Jack's sheet, personally:

Interceptors HQ: [21EP]

Size: Large; Toughness: 10; Features: Combat Simulator, Communications, Computer, Concealed 2, Defense System, Fire Prevention, Garage, Gym, Living Space, Holding Cells, infirmary, Power 2, Power System, Security System 2, Workshop

Defense System 1: Snare 11

Power 1: Healing 10 (PFs: Persistent, Regrowth) [22pp]

Power 2: ESP 6 (Visual, 20 mile range [all of Freedom City]; Extra: No Conduit; Flaw: Medium – Surveillance equipment; PFs: Subtle, Rapid [x10]) [14PP] AND Quickness 12 (Flaws: Limited to Search) [4PP] AND Quickness 12 (Flaws: Limited to Notice) [4PP]

MAVERIC (Mobile Armored Vehicle for Emergency Response and Intercepting Criminals): [13EP]

Size: Huge [2EP]

Strength: 35 [1EP]

Speed: 5 [5EP]

Toughness: 10 [1EP]

Defense: 8 [0EP]

Features: Alarm, Caltrops, Remote Control, Smokescreen [4EP]

So that's 21 + 13 = 34EP total, in theory. Between five members, not counting Dok A, that'd be about 7EP per character.

Jack's currently contributing 9EP, Colt's sheet says he's throwing in 19EP and Grim's says she's contributing 4EP. That's 9 +19 + 4 = 32EP, so there's our first problem.

One thing I've noticed about the Healing power -- moreso than Regeneration -- is that, since it heals you instantaneously, it takes a lot of the drama out of a fight. Yes, you still need to get to the HQ to heal up, but once you're there, you can be back in tip-top shape in little time. An alternative -- something I've been toying with for Dok's own HQs -- is instead of Healing, give it an Affect Others Regeneration power, to boost recovery rate and the time needed to heal. Perhaps something like:

Regeneration 12 (recovery bonus +9, inured 1 [20 mins], staggered 1 [20 mins], disabled 1 [5 hours]; Note: Sustained Duration; Extra: Affect Others, Area [60-ft. Burst]; Flaw: Affect Others Only; PF: Selective) [13PP]

This could represent advanced medical facilities that require someone conscious to operate them (hence the Sustained duration), and can be used to treat multiple people at once (hence Area).

The ESP has both Rapid and Linked Quickness. But Rapid is Quickness, Limited to Sensory (Notice/Search) checks. I'd suggest just adding moar Rapid.

Suggestions for additions to HQ:

Defense System (nonlethal Blasters, Snare)
    Power/Super-Senses (maybe a Cerebro-like thing Jack or Jill can plug in to to boost their existing senses)

Suggestions for MAVERIC

Communications
    Computer
    Impervious (sustained active effect) for Toughness (force field)
    Nullify Fire Effects (uber-fire extinguisher)
    Snare

Approved!

Sorry, always wanted to do that. :P

I do in fact like all these ideas. (Never liked the healing power. I think it's too OP). Assuming we can afford it all, I say it's all good.

I think we're all PL12 at least, right? So the Regen would cost 1ep, right?

Defense System (two items) 2ep

Power (allow for extra points to play with) 2ep

Communications 1ep

Computer 1ep

Nullify Fire Effects (uber-fire extinguisher) (we've fought fires in the past, this would have been helpful). 1ep

Snare 1ep

Impervious (sustained active effect) for Toughness (force field) (How much do we upgrade?)

As is, that's a 9ep upgrade (not counting the toughness upgrade) Even if that goes up by another 6 points that still only uses 3 of my fifteen pp. Plenty to still buy upgrades on Colt's bike and some other stuff.

Anyone else have any suggestions / wishlists?

... yo'ud still need a write-up so you'd know how many pp/ep to dump in.

And if it's a team thing, wouldn't it make sense to be a team expenditure? Especially if you're planning on retiring Colt after he & Grim cap out (and they ride off into the sunset together)? I'm a touch uncomfortable with PCs benefiting from a Player Award given to another's NPC.

... yo'ud still need a write-up so you'd know how many pp/ep to dump in.

And if it's a team thing, wouldn't it make sense to be a team expenditure? Especially if you're planning on retiring Colt after he & Grim cap out (and they ride off into the sunset together)? I'm a touch uncomfortable with PCs benefiting from a Player Award given to another's NPC.

Honestly, that future is far enough off that I'm not going to worry about it. At the rate I'm earning points with Colt (slowly) it's going to be forever before I even max out. And once there, I'm not even sure I'll WANT to retire him. I might take after you and Doc.

I agree that sharing points with an NPC is cheesy as hell.

I won't refuse other's chipping in. If fact, let's compromise. We'll draw up a list of everything we want now. I'll buy it all at once with my bonus points. Then as people free up points in their builds they can start 'paying me back' as it were. My point is that our HQ has been in need of a long in coming upgrade. Let's go for it and figure out the points later. I'm not saying I'll cover the costs forever. Just for now so we can buy what we need and be done with it. We'll pick up the slack eventually.

EDIT:

Side note. Don't have my books at work. If you want the stats done today, it's likely going to have to be done by someone else.

Ok, here's my upgrade for the equipment.

Interceptors HQ: [25EP]

Size: Large; [2EP]

Toughness: 15 [2EP]

Features: Combat Simulator 2, Communications, Computer, Concealed 2, Defense System 2, Fire Prevention, Garage, Gym, Holding Cells, Infirmary, Living Space, Pool, Power 2, Power System, Security System 2, Workshop [21EP]

Defense System 1: Snare 11

Defense System 2: Blast 11 (non-lethal)

Power 1: Regeneration 12 (recovery bonus +9, inured 1 [20 mins], staggered 1 [20 mins], disabled 1 [5 hours]; Note: Sustained Duration; Extra: Affect Others, Area [60-ft. Burst]; Flaw: Affect Others Only; PF: Selective) [13PP]

Power 2: ESP 6 (Visual, 20 mile range [all of Freedom City]; Extra: No Conduit; Flaw: Medium – Surveillance equipment; PFs: Subtle, Rapid [x10]) [14PP] AND Quickness 12 (Flaws: Limited to Search) [4PP] AND Quickness 12 (Flaws: Limited to Notice) [4PP]

MAVERIC (Mobile Armored Vehicle for Emergency Response and Intercepting Criminals): [50 EP]

Size: Huge [2EP]

Strength: 40 [2EP]

Speed: 6 [6EP]

Toughness: 12 [3EP]

Defense: 8 [0EP]

Features: Alarm, Caltrops, Communications, Computers, Remote Control, Smokescreen [6EP]

Powers [31ep]

Impervious Toughness 8

Snare 10 PF: Tether

* AP: Nullify 10 (fire effects) Extras: Effortless

* AP: Blast 10

So with 5 members that's 15ep each, so 3 ranks of Equipment a piece. And as per my essay in Bag of Tricks, I'm going to be depowering Eli to PL 12 this month, so that'll free up 6 more power points, that I can use to cover any one else's shortfall. Sound groovy?

• 2 months later...

Howdy, Y'all. Next month, if no one with a character currently on the team objects, Thrude is probably going to be joining the Interceptors. I've got the enthusiastic support of both DrArcheville and Gizmo, so things are looking good.

And no Ref is going to have a character on a team with bad bookkeeping! :argh: [serpentor] THIS, I COMMAND! [/serpentor]

I took a look at this thread, and I took the liberty of auditing it. I checked every character's sheet, every number, and fixed a number of math errors. And unless there are some veteran reward contributions that haven't been written down, you guys are way, way overbudget.

So next month, in a few days, once May power points have been awarded, we're going to reopen this discussion with whoever's still on the team, and reallocate points and expenditures as necessary.

I know there's been some talk of not adding anything more (since we're already over budget!), but I did just have an idea for an upgrade Dok could make that may be useful: a teleportation system. Specifically, one that has the visual effect of creating rainbow-colored bridges/portals, making others think they're something the team's newest member, Thrude, brought along with her.

One thing I wanted to double check and confirm was that both Grim and Colt are planning to retire shortly, right? Do we have a specific time frame for that? Just to save grief later, maybe we should look at budgeting this whole shebang out without their contributions right from the get-go, or at least make sure that the slack can be picked up by new members without a whole new set of calculations.

Makes sense! I think the point still stands; granted, a big event thread and a big social thread will probably each take a while, but that's imminent enough that I think we should be planning for it now rather than scrambling to compensate in a couple of months. I know Shaen wanted to kick in some unused Veteran Reward Equipment to the total, but whatever Grim and Colt are contributing is going to have to come from somewhere else before too long.

I like the idea of the bifrost bridge teleporters more than a little, but on the whole I'd like to see us trimming back more than adding. On the other hand, teleporters would (somewhat ironically) cost a heck of a lot less EP than the MAVERIC, right?