INTERCEPTORS: Habitat for Heroics

quotemyname

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we go with an HQ-mounted teleporter, I'd recommend something like I've set up with The Scarab and her Lair. The HQ has the (rather expensive) Teleport power, and The Scarab herself has a beacon as a 1PP Feature. Less than a full rank of Device, but more than a measly 1/5PP Equipment point.

I've got 8PP worth of Silver vet reward sitting around collecting dust, so Thrude will be able to contribute 40EP to the HQ. With Archeville's 5EP, that's enough to cover all but the most ridiculous of HQs. That should more than offset the EPs lost by the departure of Colt+Grim.

Looking at both the current and prospective lineup of the team, I have to conclude that the MAVERIC is pure pork. Let's look at the overland movement capabilities of both the post-wedding members, and the potential recruits whose names have been tossed around of late:

Dynamo: Can run under his own power at 1,000MPH.

Fulcrum: Can fly under her own power at 50,000MPH.

Jack of All Blades & Jill O'Cure: Has a grapple-gun with Swinging + Speed 1 (10MPH).

Willow: Can teleport under her own power, as long as there are plants in the area, 5 miles in 6 seconds. That's 24 seconds to go from one end of the city to the other.

Thrude: Can fly under her own power at 10,000MPH.

Geckoman: Can fly pilot The Pitchoo at 1,000MPH.

Cannonade: Can run+jump under his own power at about 135MPH, give or take.

(Apologies if there's someone in the running I forgot about.)

Jack+Jill are the only ones without any significant movement powers to speak of, and they're better off just getting something small and simple, like a Freedom League sky-bike. The only character with the skills necessary to really benefit from a big pimped-out vehicle already has his own. The MAVERIC is a cool idea (a Blackbird to go along with the X-Mansion), but it's also a giant waste of EPs.

Here's a preliminary design I've worked up for a revamp of the Brownstone. Let me know what you think. (And, as mentioned previously, DokA and I can pay for this ourselves if need be.)

The Brownstone (PL15 HQ) [38EP]

Size: Large [2EP]

Toughness: +15 [2EP]

Features: [34EP]

Combat Simulator

Communications

Computers 2 (Masterwork)

Concealed 2 (+15 DC [simple Facade, Secret Entrances])

Defense Systems 2 (Nauseate 15 [Gas], Strike 15 [Electrified Fixtures])

Fire Prevention System

Garage 2 (Masterwork)

Gym

Holding Cells (Nullify 15)

Infirmary 2 (Masterwork)

Laboratory 2 (Masterwork)

Library 2 (Masterwork)

Living Space

Parade Grounds

Personnel (V.I.N.C.E.)

Pool

Powers 2 (60PP)

Power System

Security System 5 (DC40)

Think-Tank (V.I.N.C.E.)

Workshop 2 (Masterwork)

Powers:

ESP 6 (Visual Senses, 20 miles, Extras: Duration 2 [Continuous], No Conduit, Simultaneous, Flaws: Medium [surveillance Devices], Feats: Fast Task 4, Subtle [DC26 Notice]) [35PP]

The power requires a move action (default for ESP) to activate. The operator can search a 1-mile area in 6 seconds (2 minutes if taking 20), or the entire city in 5 minutes (1 hour 40 minutes if taking 20). Subjects would get a DC26 Notice check to know they're being watched (cameras turning around to point in their direction, etc.).

Regeneration 12 (Recovery +9, Recovery Rate: Injured 1 [20 minutes], Staggered 1 [20 minutes], Disabled 1 [5 hours], Extras: Affects Others, Area [General, Burst, 60ft radius], Flaws: Limited [Others], Feats: Selective]) [25PP]

Notes:

:arrow: The Masterwork features give a +2 uncapped circumstance bonus to the skill check associated with them, just like any other piece of Masterwork equipment.

:arrow: The Parade Grounds feature gives everyone who defends the HQ a free rank of Teamwork. I figure it reflects team drills in the underground.

:arrow: Since Archeville had a hand in this place's design and construction, a DC40 Security System seems plausible.

:arrow: The Think-Tank gives +2 to a Gather Info, Investigate, or Knowledge check after a day of pondering a given problem.

:arrow: I didn't include a Hangar, because I can't think of how the hell aircraft would get in and out without advertising to the whole neighborhood.

And here's an upgraded Sky-Bike template I came up with, if we want to have one or two of them in the garage ("for guests?"):

Sky-Bike (Vehicle) [19EP]

Size: Medium [0EP]

Strength: 25 [3EP]

Defense: +0 (DC10)

Toughness: +10 [5EP]

Features: [0EP]

None

Powers: [11EP]

Flight 5 (250MPH, Feats: Subtle) [11EP]

Notes:

:arrow: This is a slightly beefed-up version of the Freedom League Sky-Bikes in the books.

:arrow: A vehicle can move at full speed while carrying up to a medium load, which for STR 25 is 533 lbs. So the bike can easily carry two people without suffering any reduction in speed.

:arrow: If you're worried about someone stealing it or tampering with it, we could probably spring for an Alarm feature.

:arrow: Normal commuter vehicles (cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc.) have Toughness +8 or +9, so we could probably skim a point or two there if we're strapped.

Here's a design for the aforementioned "rainbow bridges," if people wind up voting for it.

Teleport 7 (200 miles, Extras: Duration 2 [Continuous], Portal 2, Flaws: Limited [Others], Limited [To/From HQ], Feats: Progression [Portal Size] 2 [25ft x 25ft]) [30PP]

Since the Brownstone is a PL15 HQ, a Power feature gives us 30PP to work with, so this would only cost 1EP.

The "Portal" extra is basically Affects Others and Duration (Concentration), with some extra tweaks (kinda like how the Independent extra is Continuous Duration + Fades, with some tweaks), which is why those extras aren't listed. According to the book, it's a free action to open or close a Portal. Since the duration was bumped up to Continuous, once a portal is opened, it stays open until someone closes it or it's Nullified/countered.

Rank 7 is far enough to go anywhere within the city or the outlying areas, and probably to other cities close by. With Extra Effort (putting added strain on the machine), you could add +2 power ranks, allowing the teleporter to open a bridge to any point on the planet.

It's not Accurate, so someone at the HQ (probably VINCE?) would have to use the HQ's ESP power to "scout out" the location, or else someone wearing a beacon would have to be standing at the spot where the bridge opens up.

Teleport Beacon having dual "Return to Base" and "Anchor Teleporter Here" functionality?

Basically, yeah. With an inherent complication that it transmits a radio signal back to the base teleporter, and thus, can be blocked by any sensory power that interferes with Radio senses/communication (Obscure, etc.).

The only reason we really had the MAVERIC originally was because Colt/Jack needed a sweet ride. It added the functionality of being able to transport civilians that were in trouble as well. At the time we had no magical / mystical members on the team besides Grim, and her powers are largely self contained. There really was no way we were feasibly justifying any sort of teleportation, since Doc wasn't ready to give away his involvement to the world. It was a waste of EP, but at the time, it's all we had.

So, here's a thought, just to keep things neat: everybody puts in 5EP, one rank of Equipment's worth, and buys the Beacon as a Feature for another 1PP. Any extra costs should be easily covered by Shaen's unused veteran reward, but with a flat amount for each team member we won't have to recalculate and distribute everytime somebody retires or we get a new member.

I'm down with throwing in a flat 5 ep to start. At least then we'd have a starting number from which to build. I would like having a minimum cost HQ, to which every member contributes at least a bit, and as people come-and-go, we can adjust cost for any additional features and extras.

That being said, Rainbow Bridges and Bikes aside, how does the Brownstone look right now? Looks really good to me. My only suggestion is, if we do go with a flat 5 ep buy-in cost, bumping the total to 35 or 40 for simplicity.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, having thrashed this out with Dok... Gecks is officially joining!

So I'm'a need a few of the team (preferably not all of them, as that's not really needed) to introduce him to the HQ and so forth under "Dok's instructions", as he's still having issues with being around to post.

So... recruits? Objections to Gecks joining from anyone who hasn't known bout this?

The only reason we really had the MAVERIC originally was because Colt/Jack needed a sweet ride. It added the functionality of being able to transport civilians that were in trouble as well. At the time we had no magical / mystical members on the team besides Grim, and her powers are largely self contained. There really was no way we were feasibly justifying any sort of teleportation, since Doc wasn't ready to give away his involvement to the world. It was a waste of EP, but at the time, it's all we had.

I can understand that. But now we're getting multiple super-strong flyers who could "transport civilians" by packing them into a bus or a truck on the street and carrying it away. Not to mention The Pitchoo. And, again, Jack & Jill could just get a skybike or two for a fraction of the cost.

So, here's a thought, just to keep things neat: everybody puts in 5EP, one rank of Equipment's worth, and buys the Beacon as a Feature for another 1PP. Any extra costs should be easily covered by Shaen's unused veteran reward, but with a flat amount for each team member we won't have to recalculate and distribute everytime somebody retires or we get a new member.

Everyone putting in 1PP/5EP is a solid idea. Give everyone a literal stake in the team. Then those of us with vet rewards to burn can make up the difference.

Right, having thrashed this out with Dok... Gecks is officially joining!

So I'm'a need a few of the team (preferably not all of them, as that's not really needed) to introduce him to the HQ and so forth under "Dok's instructions", as he's still having issues with being around to post.

So... recruits? Objections to Gecks joining from anyone who hasn't known bout this?

Speaking as one of the people who spearheaded his recruitment, no, no objections here. :D Also, I'm in if you need me.

Draft 2!

The Brownstone (PL15 HQ) [39EP]

Size: Large [2EP]

Toughness: +15 [2EP]

Features: [35EP]

Combat Simulator

Communications

Computers 2 (Masterwork)

Concealed 2 (+15 DC [simple Facade, Secret Entrances])

Defense Systems 2 (Nauseate 15 [Tear Gas], Strike 15 [Electrified Fixtures])

Fire Prevention System

Garage 2 (Masterwork)

Gym

Holding Cells (Nullify 15)

Infirmary 2 (Masterwork)

Laboratory 2 (Masterwork)

Library 2 (Masterwork)

Living Space

Parade Grounds

Personnel (V.I.N.C.E.)

Pool

Powers 3 (90PP)

Power System

Security System 5 (DC40)

Think-Tank (V.I.N.C.E.)

Workshop 2 (Masterwork)

Powers: 35 + 25 + 26 = 86/90PP

ESP 6 (Visual Senses, 20 miles, Extras: Duration 2 [Continuous], No Conduit, Simultaneous, Flaws: Medium [surveillance Devices], Feats: Fast Task [search] 4, Subtle [DC26 Notice]) [35PP]

• Not all locations will have video surveillance devices in the vicinity. This is not worth a Complication HP, as it is part of the Medium flaw.
    ESP requires a move action to activate by default.
    The operator can search a 1-mile area in 6 seconds / 1 round (2 minutes / 20 rounds if taking 20), or the entire city in 5 minutes (1 hour 40 minutes if taking 20). Subjects would get a DC26 Notice check to know they're being watched (cameras turning around to point in their direction, etc.).

Regeneration 12 (Recovery +9, Recovery Rate: Injured 1 [20 minutes], Staggered 1 [20 minutes], Disabled 1 [5 hours], Extras: Affects Others, Area [General, Burst, 60ft radius], Flaws: Limited [Others], Feats: Selective]) [25PP]

Teleport 6 (20 miles, Extras: Duration 2 [Continuous], Portal 2 [Affects Others + Duration/Concentration], Flaws: Limited [Others], Limited [To/From Brownstone], Feats: Progression [Portal Size] 2 [25ft x 25ft]) [26PP] ("Rainbow Bridge")

• This power can be activated by the Brownstone's on-site Personnel, or by any character equipped with a Brownstone Teleport Beacon (see below). The beacon sends a radio signal to the HQ teleporter, so it will not function in an area where Radio Communication is being Obscured, Nullified, etc. (this is worth a Hero Point for the Complication).

• Features 1 (Teleport Beacon [The Brownstone]) [1PP]

The Teleport effect is not Accurate, so opening up a portal requires that someone at the location activates a beacon, or that the location is first scouted with the HQ's ESP power.

Notes:

:arrow: The Masterwork features give a +2 uncapped circumstance bonus to the skill check associated with them, just like any other piece of Masterwork equipment.

:arrow: The Parade Grounds feature (from Agents of Freedom) gives everyone who defends the HQ a free rank of Teamwork. I figure it reflects team drills in the underground.

:arrow: Since Archeville had a hand in this place's design and construction, a DC40 Security System seems plausible.

:arrow: The Think-Tank feature (from Agents of Freedom) gives +2 to a Gather Info, Investigate, or Knowledge check after a day of pondering a given problem.

:arrow: I didn't include a Hangar, because I can't think of how the hell aircraft would get in and out without advertising to the whole neighborhood. Geckoman can store The Pitchoo in the garage, and use the teleporter to fly it in and out discreetly.

:arrow: The Personnel feature is from The Book of Magic.

And here's an upgraded Sky-Bike template I came up with, if we want to have one or two of them in the garage ("for guests?"):

Sky-Bike (Vehicle) [19EP]

Size: Medium [0EP]

Strength: 25 [3EP]

Defense: +0 (DC10)

Toughness: +10 [5EP]

Features: [0EP]

None

Powers: [11EP]

Flight 5 (250MPH, Feats: Subtle) [11EP]

Notes:

:arrow: This is a slightly beefed-up version of the Freedom League Sky-Bikes in the books.

:arrow: A vehicle can move at full speed while carrying up to a medium load, which for STR 25 is 533 lbs. So the bike can easily carry two people without suffering any reduction in speed.

:arrow: If you're worried about someone stealing it or tampering with it, we could probably spring for an Alarm feature.

:arrow: Normal commuter vehicles (cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc.) have Toughness +8 or +9, so we could probably skim a point or two there if we're strapped.

How do people feel about these designs? Are there any HQ features (powers or otherwise) that anyone would like to add or subtract, for reasons of fluff or crunch? Do we want to keep a skybike or two in the garage? If so, do people want to use my build, or the one in the books?

Very nice!

I'd mentioned a Cerebro-esque widget for the HQ, to extend JoaB's energy senses. Would adding Mental senses on to the ESP work for that?

EDIT: No, it would not, due to the Medium (Machines) Flaw.

Super-Senses (extended, rapid for all mental senses)? I believe there had been talk of Dok making something like that for Scarab's Lair, so she could "reach out & touch" the world.

• 1 month later...

Draft 2!

How do people feel about these designs? Are there any HQ features (powers or otherwise) that anyone would like to add or subtract, for reasons of fluff or crunch? Do we want to keep a skybike or two in the garage? If so, do people want to use my build, or the one in the books?

OK, we need to pull the trigger on this already. I ask again:

Does anyone have any feedback, requests, or objections to the designs above?

Do we want a skybike at all? If so, how many?

Cast your votes and let's get this done!

(If everyone is cool with all this, then each member needs to set aside 2PP. 1PP for a rank of Equipment to buy in, and 1PP for a teleport beacon. I'll be tossing 8PP worth of veteran reward toward this, so technically I can probably cover the entire cost myself. But the consensus seems to lean toward everyone having a literal stake in it, which seems fair.)

Looks solid.

I'm torn on the SkyBikes. On the one hand, we've got the teleporter, and in the cases where the PC's can't 'port in (due to interference or blindness or whatnot), they can just go the old fashioned way of using all their own movement powers (and those without movement power can be hauled by those who do). On the other hand, SkyBikes are cool.

I'd still like to know if there's interest in the Extended Super-Senses, Cerebro for JoaB's energy sense thing.

I've got 5 EP worth of Equipment set aside to contribute from Dok. I trust there's no problem in Dok using his Electromagnetic Screwdriver/Gadgets (or stunting it off his Belt) for his Teleport Beacon? ('Cuz I ain't got not other pps to spare!)

I trust there's no problem in Dok using his Electromagnetic Screwdriver/Gadgets (or stunting it off his Belt) for his Teleport Beacon? ('Cuz I ain't got not other pps to spare!)

If, for some reason, Viktor actually needs one (his own teleportation devices aren't working), then no, I have no problem with him acquiring one with his Gadgets power.

Just realized I forgot to vote on the bikes and cerebro. Bikes - They're cool! We should have them!

Cerebro thing: Let's do it. It's cool. Bases are supposed to be Cool. And let's face it, it might cost us like what 1 extra point? Do you really desperately need that one extra pp? :P

The base looks good on the whole, for sure! I think 2PP is a pretty reasonable investment (even if I will have to shift some PP around on Jack and Jill to do it!)

I'm in the same boat as a lot of you in thinking that the SkyBikes are hella cool, but really not a necessity, especially if Gecks can bring his airship to the party in a pinch. In this case, it's not like we have any reason not to get them, but I'm not sure how good an argument that really is. I'm going to vote 'yes' so we've at least got them if we need them, but also note that I'd like to see the Pitchoo more often than them, just because it's more specifically iconic. And green.

The Cerebro thing is sort of meta-hilarious, in that Jack is nothing like Professor X in the slightest. Again, with Vince's abilities there's really no need for it, except to be funky and move plots along. I say we tuck the idea away for now, and if there's ever a really good reason to use it, we can accomplish it with some combination of stunting and Dok's Gadgets. If that ever happens, we can look at adding it permanently then.

The trigger has been pulled.

The current contributions from each character are listed at the top. For anyone who spent more than 1PP, I decreased their contribution by 1PP and edited their sheet to give them Teleport Beacon.

So far, we have enough EPs to buy the HQ and a single Sky-Bike in the garage, with 1EP to spare.

I encourage everyone who currently does not have a stake in the team Equipment pool to submit an edit request for one as soon as possible. But the end of the month is a week away, so if you don't want to worry about shuffling around your current points, you can just wait until this month's awards to roll in.