Rise of the Machine [IC] (Closed)

Dr Archeville

Dragonfly shook her head, pulling her attention back into reality. need to focus - probably right - do need sleep - later "Can rest later. No. No need for amends, I mean - happens. Should have properly shielded it. Hindsight...mmh." She tapped a finger against her leg, frowning for a moment before brushing the idea aside. shielding - mental note for later

She mostly just listened as the others talked, trying to focus on the heroes instead of the tired white noise of experiments and half-finished designs in her head. "Could arrange for space in the Lab for you, if needed," she noted, glancing at the other founders and doing a bit better about staying attentive when she talked. "Organization for research and engineering. To help people. Have the space...garage workshop, maybe. Low-security area, often private. Good power supply. Resources, too, if you ever need repairs. Gives you someplace safe and useful to stay until you find your own, if you want it. And if there are no objections." also easy observation and constant monitoring if you're dangerous - not suspicious but can't be too careful - unwitting threats are still threats - still - hope not - fascinating design

Carefully shaking Supercape's hand, Greg said "You can call me Doctor Titan."

"I'm not so sure on the harmless part, though. You don't build a robot to preserve organic life without a way to do it. Certainly wouldn't leave the thing defenseless." He wasn't too worried, but being a little cautious with the unknown wasn't a bad thing.

Greg figured that now would be as good a time as any to get to know the others. Running into these people seemed likely, so identifying himself as one of the good guys would save problems later. "So, since I'm the new guy on the block, perhaps you could help me get my bearings. Get the lay of the land, so to speak. Just got into town, and I'm not familiar with anybody."

'Caradoc' was a little unsettled yet at the company of so many geniuses, feeling the fragility of his disguise sharply against his skin. Leaving the others to greet the robot, he opted to make introductions to the only face he hadn't yet seen on the news. "Hello," the flying knight said to Doctor Titan, his perfect silver armor gleaming in the clear sunlight of January. "I am Caradoc. It is a pleasure to meet you as well," he said, his voice oddly flat despite the courtesy in the words. "Are you really a doctor?" the flying man asked, curiosity creeping into his voice.

"Doctor Titan is partially correct," it announced in its clear, flat voice. "I am fully sentient and sapient, able to learn from my experiences, and capable of self-initiative, creativity, and empathy, sympathy, and compassion for organics. I can feel love, hatred, fear, rage, boredom, fascination, jealousy, joy, and the like. However, I do tend to emphasize logic and rationality, and prefer to rely on direct data rather than supposition or extrapolation, though I am capable of both."

It turned just enough to face Miss Americana, "I do not currently have a base of operations. I do appreciate the offer to assist me in locating or constructing one. My requirements are few."

Dragonfly's mention of The Lab brought its attention back to her, "that sounds like a superlative location. Is this Lab far from here? Does it have communications and access to knowledge databases so that I may learn more about organic customs, desires, and needs?"

It suddenly whirled its head back towards Doctor Titan and Supercape, "to the best of my ability, I would never willingly harm an organic life form, or through inaction allow an organic life form to come to harm. To this end, I was constructed with a number of defenses, including a sturdy construction and a superhuman level of strength, as well as-"

ERROR: Structural Integrity Field offline.

ERROR: Physical strength levels at 60% maximum efficiency.

ERROR: Phasic Energy Blasters offline.

ERROR: Meson Bolt Caster offline.

ERROR: Neural Agonizer offline.

ERROR: Neutron Pulse offline.

ERROR: Disintegrator Beam offline.

ERROR: Flares offline.

ERROR: Bio-Dissipator Ray offline.

ERROR: Micro-Rockets offline.

ERROR: Mini-Missiles offline.

ERROR: Cyberkinetic Interface offline.

ERROR: Cyberkinetic Jammer offline.

ERROR: Cyberkinetic Override offline.

ERROR: Cyberkinetic Positioning System offline.

"Apologies; internal diagnostics indicate several systems are operating at reduced efficiency, or are completely nonfunctional."

"We can certainly help you look into that, if you'd like," Miss A reassured him. "I have some experience working with humanoid robots, and several of my colleagues are excellent engineers. If your systems have been damaged, I'm sure we can develop some solutions to get you operating at full capacity. After all," she told him, "we need all the help we can get in protecting life. I'm sure you'll make an invaluable ally." Personally, she wasn't sure about the idea of giving the robot a berth at the Lab, but that would at least let them monitor it for aberrant behaviors. Right now she was a little more worried about the fact that Dragonfly seemed to be slipping mental gears from lack of sleep, an unacceptable trait in a superpowered hero.

Greg filed away the machine's statement. Knowing it's capabilities could be useful, and besides it would be interesting to think about. Putting away his personal curiosity, he turned toward the armored man, Caradoc. "Hello to you as well. A pleasure to meet you." He smiled at Caradoc's question. There was a lot of pride in his answer. "Why yes, some of us doctors are actually doctors. Are you ill?"

"I exist in a hermetically-sealed environment. I do not become sick," replied Caradoc elliptically. And it was true; his armor protected him against poisonous atmospheres and lethal contagions. He had personal knowledge of this. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Doctor. Your honesty does you credit." Feeling a little guilty, he turned and studied the robot again. It is a robot no one seems familiar with, he thought. and neither am I. Though visions of burning robotic cities and incinerated mechanical champions were easy to find in his memory, he'd never seen anything like this before.

Dragonfly frowned, shaking her head. "Hanover. North. Very large building, shaped like an egg....difficult to miss. Will not be able to let you near sensitive areas, though. No offense. 'Trust but verify,' I think? Have to take precautions." In her head, a fully-autonomous watcher drone was assembling itself, and she had to blink away the idea before it took over too much of her brain. save it for later - interesting idea - wait until you're home

She blinked again as she caught up on other conversations. "Doctor of what?" she asked with just a hint of careful mistrust, looking in Doctor Titan's direction.

"I appreciate your offers," it said, "and I do understand the need for security and verification; no offense is taken."

Analyzing interactions:

* They appear to desire improvements for and to aid me. And I, logically, desire to aid and improve them.

* There appears to be some concern for my well-being, as I feel concern for the well-bring of all organic life.

* I do not detect falsehoods on their parts, and I have been honest with them. However, lack of detection does not equal lack of presence, so caution is to be observed; holographic image over Caradoc still unexplained.

* They claim to share my goal for aiding organics.

* They offer me shelter and resources. I desire to give back in kind.

Conclusion: Humans designated Caradoc, Doctor Titan, Dragonfly, Miss Americana, and Supercape are to be considered 'Friends.'

Observation: Cardoc, Doctor Titan, and Supercape are engaged in their own social interaction; they appear as new to one another as I am to them. Attentions of Dragonfly and Miss Americana are still focused primarily on me.

"Friend Dragonfly, Friend Americana," it said, making ever-so-slight whirring noises as it turned to address the two superheroines, "may we go to this Lab now? There is much I should like to study."

Ah, but can you remain in your sealed environment forever? Greg would actually voice the thought. The last thing he needed was to turn the conversation adversarial. Still, when Caradoc ended up in the hospital for treatment, it would be very satisfying to ask him about that sealed environment.

When questioned on his specialty, his reply was simple, straightforward, and more boast than fact. "I am a doctor with a specialty in superhuman medicine." While he could have lied, but there seemed to be no reason to. Besides, he never got to brag about it to his coworkers. These folks should at least appreciate the prestige that specialty brought him.

"I think my work here is done," exclaimed Caradoc with false cheer. He was no scientist to function in the Lab, and what place did he have there? If he was there and a crowd was as well, his own secrets were at risk of being exposed. Still, alien technology was something he was curious about, especially if it might pose a threat to his adopted planet. "Miss Americana, the rest of you, I shall stay in touch." He studied the robot for a moment, then repeated "Welcome to Freedom City, Protectron. You will find it a welcoming place. Whatever you happen to be." And with that, he disappeared into the sky on a roaring column of what looked for all the world like dragon's breath!

"To the lab then! excellent idea!" remarked Supercape, wagging a circulating finger in excitement.

Turning to his new large friend, Doctor Titan, he continued "have you visited? excellent place for fine minds, top rate medical and scientific laboratories and a wizard particle smasher in the basement!"

Turning to the child-robot, he continued "how are you for, um, propulsion?"

"I-" it began.

Searching... mobility systems located.

Available Systems

* Walking Mode

** Running Mode

* Flight Mode

** UNKNOWN

"am able to fly, though I do not know how my speeds would compare to yours or to the common vehicles of this area."

The odd robot held its arms out, palms-down. The entire surface rippled as flight surfaces popped, unfolded, and re-folded. Thrusters at the feet began to fire, as did blasts from the hands. Soon it was hovering, in a mostly stable manner.

It looked down at the others, "which way?"

Note: he's not transforming, it's more like the scene in Iron Man when Tony puts on the Mark 2 suit and runs a systems check before taking off for the first time.

Miss Americana watched with great interest as the robot assumed its flight form. It was no Omegadrone, but it was very sophisticated in a different way. She'd love to get a look at him under controlled conditions. Rising into the air herself, she smiled at Protectron and gestured for him to follow. "Come along this way, it's not too far," she encouraged. "Let me know if I'm going too fast or too slow." She set off at a leisurely pace, giving anyone who wanted to fly along a chance to take to the skies as well.

This lab sounded interesting enough. With his own limited equipment, he hadn't made much progress on the why of his transformations. If this lab had more sophisticated equipment, he might be able to make some progress. And who knows what other interesting concoctions he could devise, with better materials. "I haven't been, actually. I hope it's no trouble if I take a gander."

Dragonfly had to force herself to tear her eyes away from the now-flying Protectron, promising to save investigation into his very interesting transformation for later. clever engineering - bigger on the inside? - always hard to tell - find a source of footage - investigate later "Will go by ground. Meet you there."

She held out a hand and triggered her dimensional pocket...and nothing happened. Blinking blankly at her gauntlets, which were quite insistent that there was nothing in storage, the young woman shook her head and looked over at where she'd left her bike just standing at the side of the road. Grimacing and muttering admonishments at herself for being careless, she walked over and started it up, swinging around to point up the road and in the general direction of Hanover.

Supercape started to take off, but only hovered a few feet off the ground.

"Anyone need a lift?" he asked. He noticed the giant Doctor Titan. Heavy probably he noted but I should be able too...

"Do you have means of locomotion, sir?" he asked politely. "If not, I can whisk us to the Lab in but a moment..."

He had already started, barely consciously, working on a n-dimensional entanglement between here and there, in preparation for such rapid transport. Its getting easier, almost second nature now... he noted.

Miss Americana and Supercape had no trouble keeping pace with the strange robot: its top speed seemed to be a quarter of Supercape's, and a mere tenth of Americana's maximum.

Observation: Current flight speed unacceptable for current task. Examining UNKNOWN Flight sub-system.

Suddenly, the robots head detached, and zipped ahead on tiny neck-jets! The headless body continued flying straight ahead.

"ERROR: I was unaware I could do this."

While the head did go faster than the robots body, Miss Americana or Supercape could easily catch up with it.

Miss Americana stared for just a moment before reacting, then nipped forward to corral the rogue head. "Looks like you have powers even you don't know about yet," she told him pleasantly, doing her best to catch hold of the head in a way that would neither expose her hands to the jets nor obscure the robot's senses. "Let's just wait a moment for your body to catch up to us," she suggested.

Supercape floated at a leisurely pace aside the robot. He was hardly fast himself (by superhero standards anyway) when flying, but the mechanical marvel seemed even slower.

Neat trick with the head though.

"You seem quite disembodied, sir!" he remarked. "Is that quite safe? No point over-extending yourself. "

He pointed over to the large Egg shaped building ahead. It was not far, even at this pace. "And yonder lies the Lab. Spiffing place. All your techno-wizardry needs can be catered for!" he said with an encouraging smile.

The body eventually did catch up with the head, and both rejoined seamlessly.

"I am grateful for your assistance, Friend Americana, Friend Supercape," it said flatly.

Running systems diagnostic...

No new damage discovered, but existing damage remains. Time to repair: unknown.

"No damage has been incurred," it added, "but Friend Americana is correct, there are numerous subsystems within me which I cannot identify, as well as some I cannot access, and some which my directory indicates should be present but are not present. Assistance would be appreciated; I could not bear the thought of inadvertently harming an organic being by accidentally activating some unknown system."

The assembly of heroes soon arrived at the egg-shaped Lab in Hanover, with many, many questions, and few answers. Some came quickly, others were far more difficult to tease out, but through it all, the bizarre robot was happy to help (not that such emotion could be read in its flat electronic voice or on its unchanging face).