Iron Knights, Unite!

Raveled

So folks in the chat have been kicking around the idea for a tech-centered team for awhile, sort of an analogue to the Midnighters. Ironclad would be a shoe-in for a team like this; most of the Lab would, in point of fact. Anyone else interested?

I'm actually really interested in this. I've got a new VERY tech oriented character in the works. She's ready to go, she just needs to be posted and get approval, but I'm waiting for a character slot to open up first. At the very very least, I'll have her ready by the end of the month.

In the meantime, you can think of her as the Blue Beetle crossed with Zero Suit Samus. Her codename is Blueshift. My biggest stopping block when I was writing her was where she would fit into the setting, and this looks like just the opportunity I was looking for.

So, surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest for a tech/:science: based group. Perhaps if I talk a little bit about my plans? For the first, "bring the group together" adventure, I was planning to draw upon Omega and the Terminus. Essentially the heroes will become (independently) aware that Omega intends to drag Earth wholly into the Terminus, and decide (as heroes do) to stop them. They'll fight a whole butt-load of New God expies who will essentially be Omega's lieutenants coordinating the whole thing, and the final fight will take place on a Carrier expy. The heroes will, of course, defeat the bad guys and capture the ship, and decide that they need to form a team to watch out for threats like this.

Hm. Now that I think about it, it's turning less 'tech' and more 'dimensional wardens.'

You've had three replies in under 24 hours. How is that "not a lot of interest"?

(And while Dok would want to be on this like red on Blutwurst, he's already pulled in many directions. However, an idea for a 3rd char has been forming in my mind, one that might fit in quite well....)

On a more critical note, that idea sounds way too big. It's the DC equivalent of a team of [young? fresh?] heroes banding together to stop the Anti-Monitor. Maybe focus on something smaller and more directly-tech-y, like going against the Power Corps, or the Foundry?

Dok has some good points.

I say we make it the Foundry; they might have a better explanation for why they're in something like the Carrier.

Speaking of which, I say we make The Carrier second-generation salvage. That is, not only are we salvaging it, but the Foundry was actually salvaging it, too. When the Iron Knights fight the Foundry, only its basic functions are up and running. That could give various members of the group time to earn a couple PP, to more easily invest corporately in the HQ. Then, we can have the big ceremony or something where their shiny new HQ is brought fully online.

Hm. Well, far be it for me to disregard the advice of a ref. What if the Foundry found some ship of refugees fleeing the Terminus and Omega and 'protected' them in exchange for the secrets to their technology? They're looting the Carrier when the heroes are alerted (still have to work out how that'll work) and come crashing down on their operation. The good guys could face the entire Foundry crew, Keres backed up by Charibdrones and a whole passel of ECHIDNA's drones, and then a big climax fight with the man himself.

Would leave the Carrier a wreck, a shadow of its former self, and needing extensive repairs. Would also justify the Personnel feature, if the remaining refugees don't want to leave their home.

Rav, given that Omega-centered stories are already 'in use' by a significant number of characters, and given that Jackgar is already working on an adventure with the plot you describe above, I think you should cut the Terminus angle out of your story. Start small with your new team. Work in the Grue, or other aliens, or something like that.

Mm, maybe something involving the Stellar Khanate? Can't remember the last time that group was ever mentioned. Mm, don't want to steal AA's thunder, but I like the idea of the heroes being brought together by some unrelated threat (Power Corps theft!) and snatched off to fight the Khan for some purpose.

Mm, maybe something involving the Stellar Khanate? Can't remember the last time that group was ever mentioned. Mm, don't want to steal AA's thunder, but I like the idea of the heroes being brought together by some unrelated threat (Power Corps theft!) and snatched off to fight the Khan for some purpose.
That sounds solid. The Power Corps aren't being used a whole lot, and making the Khanate the "main villains" would a.)help differentiate the story, and b.)more easily explain crazy alien technology.

Dok has some good points.

I say we make it the Foundry; they might have a better explanation for why they're in something like the Carrier.

Speaking of which, I say we make The Carrier second-generation salvage. That is, not only are we salvaging it, but the Foundry was actually salvaging it, too. When the Iron Knights fight the Foundry, only its basic functions are up and running. That could give various members of the group time to earn a couple PP, to more easily invest corporately in the HQ. Then, we can have the big ceremony or something where their shiny new HQ is brought fully online.

This inspired an on the spot idea for me. My character specifically is going to be a sort of tech geek and tinkerer. perhaps when [insert whoever is finally going to own the ship] protects it's crew from [insert shortly lived alien armada here] and finally takes over, one of the crew manages to somehow establish a weak distress signal on an otherwise extremely rarely used wavelength. One or all of our character individually pick it up (for my part, I would have been working on inventing some sort of signal booster when I pick up the signal). We rush to the rescue, band together on the spot, wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, new space ship.

I like the idea of a combined HQ. The Interceptors do it, and it works great. We would have 2-4 keystone members all pitching in 1-2pp for the HQ. Those PP pile up fast! With Colt reaching the next level of player rewards soon, I may be able to pour some equipment from that reward on to here. (I'm thinking if splitting the 15ep three ways between my characters if the refs allow it, but that's neither here nor there and I haven't even begun discussing that with them yet. Busy busy busy!)

comments/questions?

I was actually planning on invoking the Star Knights and a big battle against the Star Khan, but this works, too! I'm also thinking that this wouldn't be the Carrier, so much as the Battlestar. If you remove all the weapon systems it comes down to only 25 EP, which is very reasonable. We can add that stuff back later as it gets repaired/upgraded.

That works fine. It was just an idea that popped into my head. I figured I should contribute if I am to be part of the team.

I like the idea of stripping the weapons. What would we need them for anyway? If we're establishing a satellite base, it's not like we're going to be using it in combat. Besides, as heroes, we ARE the weapons system ;)

I would suggest Iron Tyrants if that didn't sound much like a supervillain team.

Gear Guard[ians], Name Pending, Wired Warriors, Mechanized/Metal Masters, Tech Titans, Armed Alliteration, Claremont Academy Science Fair, Team Leadfoot, Steel Samurai, Heavy Hoplites, Steel/Iron/Whatever Cavalry/Cavaliers, Pneumatic Paladins, Iron Aces, Steel Saints, Metal Martyrs, Team Excel, Iron Idols/Icons.