At the Opera Tonight [IC]

Eddie started to say something about the last act, when he was shushed again. "Seriously?" He turned around in his seat, finding nothing once more. "There's no one even here, and I can't make a comment about the show?"

Eddie's eyes narrowed, and he focused his hearing as hard as he could. With all the acoustics in the room, there were sound waves everywhere. He focused on those. If there was anything else in the booth, or anywhere nearby for that matter that he wasn't seeing, there would have to be sound waves bouncing off of it. "What is the deal?"

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie neither saw nor heard anyone behind them, and his enhanced audio senses also detected no one. But there were other boxes around; perhaps one of the patrons in them had been shushing him? No, the sounds had to have come from closer by. The usher passing by in the hallway behind their box seat? Possibly, though surely Eddie would have heard him enter and exit the area.

Now was a short intermission (approx time now 10:00pm), giving the audience time to stretch and absorb the fight from Act II and prepare for Act III.

Rift's monitor duty was as dull tonight as it was last night. All was working as it should, and if he'd brought anything to read during his shift he was probably done with it by now.

Fassbinder's empty box was no longer so, as a woman -- early 50s, 5'5", and somewhat heavyset (but with a presence that more than made up for any lack of height), with short, dark brown hair going gray in front and blue eyes with a hint of steel in them, in a conservative dress, wedding ring, and locket -- entered from the hallway behind it. "Ah, hello! Enjoying the show?"

Slick gazed at the young woman. Somehow his heart wasn't in social distractions. In all honesty he would rather just be drinking and stewing in his melancholia.

Feeling numb, he still responded as decades of ingrained behaviour had forged him. But he felt like it was lacking something today. Like he was an autopilot.

"" he said in German "or, Good evening, rather", he continued in English. "The show is wunderbar! excellent production? wouldn't you say?"

He held out his hand "Auric van Ardenne" he introduced himself "pleased to meet you, Ms?..."

"You know," Eddie commented as the two strolled into the hallway for intermission, "You'd think powers like mine would allow you to build a better mouse trap. I guess there really was no one there. But you heard it too, right?" He asked Elizabeth.

"Man," Eddie rolled forward onto his toes as the two waited in the hallway, "This thing is good. I can't wait to find out what happens!"

Elizabeth smiled, "Oh, I don't know. Your powers sound fine to me." She nodded, "Yeah, it was weird. I heard it last night too. You didn't see anything? Hear anything? not even speakers? that would say 'hush' during the show?" She smirked, "These invisible people are more crafty than I thought." She chucked. Still it was weird. maybe she could try when they got back in there. When Eddie expressed his appreciation she felt great joy. It was like giving him a gift that would last a lifetime. She smiled deviously, "Oh you have no idea. The best is yet to come!"

"Mrs. Kane," she replied, smiling. "Commissioner Kane, actually; I guess I'm not used to being seen in a dress-"

Now that he had a chance to study her, "Ardenne" saw it was indeed Police Commissioner Barbara Kane.

"Or attending events like this. But, tickets were free for the force, and Fred's always been a closeted opera buff, and after all the running around he did today, he more than earned a treat!" she chuckled.

The lights dimmed, indicating the show was about to resume.

"Ah, guess that's my cue to get back to my seat," she said while already halfway out. "Enjoy the show!"

ACT III

The Act opened with one of the most stirring, epic pieces of operatic music as a prelude, one known far and wide, not only for its association with Die Walküre but also for its appropriation into other works. It builds in successive layers of accompaniment until the curtain rises to reveal a mountain peak where four of the eight Valkyrie sisters of Brünnhilde have gathered in preparation for the transportation of fallen heroes to Valhalla. As they are joined by the other four, the familiar tune is carried by the orchestra, while, above it, the Valkyries greet each other and sing their battle-cry.

[groove]23312832[/groove]

"Hojotoho! Hojotoho! Heiaha! Heiaha!"

"Hojotoho! Hojotoho! Heiaha!"

"Heiaha! HeiahaaaAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!"

From the top of the top of the stage descended a ninth Valkyrie! But it was clear this was not part of the act -- not only did she have a decidedly deathly lack of color, she was flying out over the audience!

"Come, my sisters!!! There are many brave souls we can claim this night! EIAAAHAHA!"

It flew around the audience, then focused on one of the police officers near the front row. "Ah, a fine hero, this one! Come with me to Valhalla!"

A spear materialized in her hand, which she flung with unerring precision at the officer. It exploded in a flash of fire when it hit, and he appeared to slump over, dead!

"No!"

There was a solid second where all sound in the box where Eddie and Elizabeth had been sitting died. As the air went dead, Eddie leaped into action. From his seated position he rushed forward. Throwing the jacket of his tuxedo backwards, he placed one foot on the railing at the edge of the box. For a split second he hesitated there and then the air around him exploded, launching him forward like he was shot out of a cannon.

Eddie landed with a crash in a three point stance with his right knee on the ground at the edge of the stage, directly between Silver Scream and the screaming crowd.

"BACK OFF!"

Eddie rose from the crouch slowly, with determination. He gazed directly at the ghostly shield maiden his eyes full of contempt. "Silver Scream, right?"

wooommmmmmmmMMMMMMM

The air itself around him began to vibrate. Eddie himself sounded like an enourmous subwoofer tuning up for an Arveene & Misk Remix. He raised his hands, placing them out in front of him as if to brace against some invisible wall. But then, there was a wall. Solid, and clear, yet made slightly opaque by the vibrations that created it. It formed a concave shield curving away from the audience and around the specter on the stage.

Eddie spoke once more. His voice was low and threatening, Though it sounded barely above a whisper, it could be heard by everyone in the room, the large wall serving as an amplifier, "I won't let you hurt these people."

Eddie turned his head, to look over his shoulder at the stunned crowd. "Run!"

• 3 weeks later...

"Ho-HO! Another brave soul for Valhalla?!," the "Ghost Valkyrie" screeched. Another spear appeared in her hand, "Then let me take you there now, to serve at mighty Odin's side!"

Breakdown knew he was facing the Silver Scream, a ghost possessed of incredible powers of illusion. And he knew that those who believed her illusions could be injured -- even killed -- by them. As she flung her spear at him, he kept telling himself "it's not real it's not real it's not real"

Closer. He could hear it whistle through the air.

"It's not real."

Closer. He could see the grain on the wood shaft.

"It's not real!"

Closer! He could see his reflection in the metal head!

"It's not real!"

The spear passed through him, like a cold mist.

The Ghost Valkyrie screamed, and flew in wide circles under the dome that held them.

Muse

HP: 5 - Condition: The Pacifier

Elizabeth hummed along with Ride of the Valkyries as it played only to be interrupted by the theater ghost, Silver Scream. She mentally cursed as the man 'died', but then she saw... he was really dead! She gritted her teeth and then Breakdown went into action. Muse would have to deal with the panicked crowd. She didn't have her mask on her at the time, but this was more important than identities. She flew down towards the crowd, focusing inward on her power, trying to get everyone to be still.A giant purple haze filled the opera house. it crept into everything, there was a mental message on the haze to please be calm. She spoke to the calm ones. "Please, this is not a drill," she said in a calm but firm enough voice. "Do not push or shove, or go crazy. Exit the building in a sane fashion please. Have a nice evening." She smiled made an usher gesture to the door from where she was on high.

Now this was drama, conceded Slick, whose loose jaw swung from his head.

He had seen enough death in his long life to have developed a certain philosophical resilience to seeing it, but cold blooded murder did not leave his blood cold. He felt his adrenaline levels rising, and his moral indignation with it. Behind the playboy (or playgirl) exterior beat the heart of a fighter, and one driven by the horrors of his childhood. Perhaps the German Opera he had put himself through had made that childhood all the more close.

He vaulted over the box banister and landed elegantly on stage. How did one deal with a ghost anyway? wasn't that a job for those hocus pocus mystic heroes? He dimly recalled something about cold steel and silver, was that vampires? or ghosts? damn... too many horror movies...

He grabbed a prop off stage... a splendid looking sword, and waived it in what he hoped was a convincing manner.

Shame its made of painted wood...

Long before the commotion of the Silver screams appearance, Rift had fallen asleep at his post in front of the laptop motoring all of Archetechs equipment. Though the sudden screaming was enough to cause Warren to leap up from his chain. "NO YOU FOOL! YOU'LL DOOM US ALL!" He paused as he took stock in his surroundings. "Waitaminute...This isn't the school lab." Whatever rift was dreaming, he didn't have time to think on it. He could faintly hear Eddie yelling. Wait, Eddie?! Never pegged him for an opera guy... He shook his head and ran over to his guitar case. Even as a young superhero, he had developed a habit of bringing his guitar everywhere, no matter what. Quickly throwing on his Duster and retrieving his guitar, Rift flew as fast as he could through the twists of walls of backstage props...

...Only to find his movements slowing down. He didn't need to rush so fast. Everything was going to be fine. No hurry. Just relax..

Rift proceeded to slap himself in the face and for a moment completely recreated the main guitar rift of Reign of Blood around him. This was not a time to relax. He soon was hovering over the stage, just taking in the situation. A ghostly valkyrie and magic smoke of questionable substance...Yep, time to go to work. Rift though as he switched on his guitar and pulled a guitar pick from his pocket, the air suddenly supercharged by ambient sound and the familiar sight of his sound barrier surrounding him.

"Idiot!" Eddie scolded himself. "She's a ghost, dumbass. She uses illusions. You KNEW this! Damn, I have been out of practice way too much."

The dome of sound quickly faded. Eddie whirled to face the crowd. They had stopped panicking, but they were still here. "Elizabeth! Get them out!" with a sound like a forceful wind, Eddie pulled up the dome once more.

"Alright, Scream. Just you and me. Let's do this!" Eddie spun in place. He dropped, and spun. Then pulled his legs into the air and did a spinning hand stand. In the middle of the breakdancing spin, he lashed out with one of his legs and sent a wave of sound toward Silver Scream. Holding up the dome was sapping some of his strength. I still got this. I don't need them. I don't need Young Freedom. This is all me!

"NOOOOOO!!!!!," the Ghost-Valkyrie shrieked, a blood-curdling sound that echoed painfully off the walls of the sonic dome. She fell to the ground, breathing heavily, fading from sight. "I am... undone! I return... to glorious Valhalla... to great Odin! But you... you noble warriors... shall all... all of you... fall... to meeeeEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Eddie almost bought it... until he realized those were exactly the same lines she'd used in her movie, Die, Valkyrie! And he knew she could fade from sight at will, so she was probably still around! In fact... yes! He could just barely make out an eerie rustling sound from the air where Silver Scream had been, moving around the dome.

As far as Muse, Rift and Slick know, nothing inside the dome has changed.

"I'm a bit old for ghost stories..." said Slick aloud.

much too old. I've seen them, for starters.

"but this does beg the question... what on earth was that? and why here? why now? the performance wasn't that dreadful!". In fact, it had been an excellent production. Was the opera house haunted? was this some illusion by an evil mastermind? an overly theatrical mutant?

Lets face it, he had no idea. But at least the thing seemed caged for the moment... quite how long it would last was anybodies guess, of course.

"Where's the manager?" he barked at a stage hand "we need some questions answered pronto!"

Rift sighed as his Sound Barrier continued to hum. It probably wouldn't do much good against a ghost, but it was a confort. Right now, he wasn't entirely sure if she was gone. He turned to Eddie and gave a short, quick wave in his direct. "Hey man! Never took you for an opera sort of guy." He said, hoping his voice could reach the lead singer. He still kept his hearing open for another attack from the Valkyrie. The Guitar Genius wasn't an expert on the supernatural, but he was sure ghosts didn't go down so easily.

He could have sworn he heard some strange sounds though. He kept his guard up

"Opera is just another type of music. Why wouldn't I be here?" Eddie responded through the dome of sound, "Besides, I'm here with a girl, so it's all good."

When the last civilian had escaped the building, Eddie cut the song he'd been playing. Another started in its place.

[groove]23371935[/groove]

"Come out, come out, wherever you are." Eddie called out. "You want a real fight? With a real warrior? Show yourself!"

He turned to Rift, "I can't touch her. You and Muse will have to take her down. Attack when I give the signal."

He chanted along with the music:

"You had to have it all, well have you had enough ?

You greedy little bastard, you will get what you deserve

When all is said and done, I will be the one

To leave you in your misery and hate what you've become"

The sound of his voice echoed from the walls. The acoustics in the room aided in the sound waves' travel. Suddenly, everyone in the room could almost tangibly see the sound waves in the air. The could certainly hear them bouncing between objects and people, including Silver Scream herself. Her invisibility would no longer be an issue. Eddie grabbed hold of an imaginary mic stand, and strutted toward where the now audible Silver Scream floated invisibly. A few steps in, he performed a series of fancy stage moves. The exact type of thing you'd expect to see from a rock band's front man. He was the picture of confidence, with a little hint of desire thrown in. When he was sure he had Scream's full attention, he sank to his knees, cradling the imaginary mic stand, and called out, "Muse! Rift! Now!"

Elizabeth almost lost herself in the new sensations, but knew she could not afford to do so. She reached out with her demi-divine power, tracing down the sonic paths towards the faint jangle of spectral armor on the invisible spirit, and sent down a pulse of divine energies. Silver Scream suddenly appeared, screaming again -- but this time in true pain -- then disappeared as ghostly flames licked at the edges of her eerie monochromatic form and consumed her, as fast as film stock.

"I think I got her!" Muse called out half-triumphantly. Only half so because she was still new to all this!

Eddie rose from his knees and breathed a sigh of relief. "Yea, you got her. Good shot, Muse."

"Got who?" replied Slick "...I mean, who was she?"

He dropped the wooden sword he had been brandishing. Fat lot of good it had done. But then, dealing with Ghost's was not his thing. If a ghost she was, which was yet to be determined. Don't jump to conclusions, he told himself.

"Silver Scream." Eddie replied plainly. "She used to be a movie star. She had the habit of always being featured in those 'movies that are so bad you can't not watch them'. Sort of like a 50's-60's-Bruce-Campbell-Army-of-Darkness-thing. Only unlike him, she wasn't good at it. At least not if you trust any critic that ever reviewed anything she acted in. She's dead now, and a ghost it seems. Presumably she's upset about someone 'butchering her rendition of Die, Valkyrie!' It's funny, right?" Eddie's voice dripped with Sarcasm.

He glanced around, trying to assess what damage had been caused to the opera house from the crowds and initial attack. He looked down at the spot where Silver Scream had stabbed the man in the front row. He saw the pool of blood, still fresh. "God damn it." At his sides, his fists clench. "You're a ghost. You're already dead. Why can't you just leave people alone? What is killing him going to change?" He gestured to the bloody chair with a hand. Eddie Ozan shook his head in disgust.

"Everyone else okay?" He asked, turning to see the others, "We should probably check outside, make sure emergency services doesn't need any help." He unfastened his bow tie, and unfastened the first button on his shirt. Formal clothing was incredibly comfortable at some points. But after moving and fighting in his outfit, he found it constricting. Besides that, the overall style still irked his inner rock star. He longed for a pair of Jeans or Camo. A t-shirt would have been nice too...Who am I kidding? Relaxation was never a part of this job description.

As Eddie looked on, the pool of blood faded to black, then faded from view entirely!

Soon the police and EMT crews began poking their heads in from the doors along the back, and from the boxed seat areas. "Everyone alright?," one called. "All the actors and singers are accounted for backstage!"

"Hey!," Muse called out to Eddie and Slick, "that one in the back, on the far left -- isn't that the one Silver Scream killed?"

Focusing on the indicated officer, Breakdown and Slick could both see that, yes, it was indeed the same officer Silver Scream had stabbed dead with her Valkyrie-Spear!

"What's this?" spluttered Slick "a twin? a doppelganger?... well I suppose that would be suitably poetic for a German Opera..."

Every sense screamed something was wrong, or at the very least suspicious. "Bring that man over here, I have a few questions!" he ordered, perhaps with more irritation than he had intended. This was getting more bewildering by the minute.

As Eddie looked on, the pool of blood faded to black, then faded from view entirely!

"Bwhuh?" Eddie scratched his head as he watched the carpet soak up what should have been much too much blood. It's soaking into the carpet. That has to be what it's doing, right?"

"Hey!," Muse called out to Eddie and Slick, "that one in the back, on the far left -- isn't that the one Silver Scream killed?"

"Yea!" Eddie agreed, "Hey, you, officer." Eddie quickly jogged to the edge of the stage and half jumped half floated to where the police were standing in the back.

Landing in front of the taller man, the musical hero stared up at him. "Aren't you, y'know, supposed to be dead?" Eddie prodded the man with a finger in the chest where there should have been a spear whole and lots of bloody guts exposed. "I saw you get speared!"

Rift was left scratched his head in confusion as he hovered over Eddie and the was-dead-but-not-really-dead-apparently Officer, trying to get a better look at him. "Well, we are dealing with a ghost here Eddie. Guessing its some illusion work...I think. Maybe. I dunno. The occult is not my strong point after all." He finished as he kept an eye open for anything else weird this evening and looking noticeably irritated. Opera is suppose to have drama, not freaking murder-mystery without the murder! At least as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...

The officer stepped forward. "Uh, I guess Rift's right," he said uncertainly. "I mean, yeah, I felt that ghost stab me, hurt more than anything I'd ever felt -- worse even than the time I got shot, back in '03 -- but then I woke up. Didn't see no bright light or anything, so..." he gave a small shrug, "guess that means I was never really dead, just knocked out."

A few other officers and a paramedic stepped forward to slap the officer on the back and congratulate him on not getting murdered.

"Right! Well, that's good then. I guess." Eddie clearly didn't get it either. He'd heard the saying, 'it's all in your head' before, but with all the things he'd seen super villains do in Freedom City, he was no long sure that even mattered.

"Bottom line is, I'm pretty sure we got her." Eddie told the authorities. "Granted, she's a ghost so she didn't leave any proof behind, but I'm pretty sure she won't be back any time soon. May want to have a psychic or a priest look into an exorcist or something, though. It's not really my area of expertise." Eddie gave a shrug. "I'm just hoping this doesn't ruin the rest of the show." He motioned over his should with his thumb at the stage.