At the Opera Tonight [IC]

From articles in the Daily Herald, the Freedom Ledger, and the Riverside Review:

This summer, LA Opera unveiled the first complete performances of Richard Wagner’s Der Ring des Nibelungen (The Ring of the Nibelung) ever presented in Los Angeles. Conducted by James Conlon and staged by theatrical wizard Achim Freyer, this Ring has been hailed as "a singular and daring act of artistic imagination" (Financial Times) featuring "dazzling, whimsical and affecting imagery" (New York Times).

And now, for a one-time, four-night show, this epic production has come to Freedom City! Join us starting Thursday, November 25th, at the Beaudrie Opera House for an unforgettable, history-making journey into Wagner’s epic masterpiece!

First, Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold), in which gods, goddesses, giants, and dwarves struggle to be lords of the ring. But as Wagner's mammoth music drama unfolds, the ring's deadly curse begins to unleash its far-reaching vengeance.

From the opening vision of the Rhine's rippling waters to the triumphant ascent to Valhalla, Das Rheingold creates a vivid world through an unforgettable musical and theatrical experience. James Conlon conducts an extraordinary cast of internationally acclaimed Wagnerians. As the chief god, the magnificent Ukrainian bass Vitalij Kowaljow has made his mark as "clearly a Wotan of tomorrow " (Opera Today). The extraordinary cast also include the celebrated Loge of tenor Arnold Bezuyen, "every inch a flaming god of fire [who] won the hearts of the audience" (Opera Today), and baritone Richard Paul Fink, "the world's ruling Alberich" (Opera Today). Director/designer Achim Freyer created a furor with his opening installment of the Ring, hailed as "amazing... a theatrical cabinet of wonders" (Los Angeles Times) and "a singular and daring act of artistic imagination...a historic night at the LA Opera" (London's Financial Times).

Next, on Friday the 26th, the Ring cycle turns to the human sphere with Die Walküre (The Valkyrie), highlighted by some of Wagner's most memorable music, with such highlights as the rousing "Ride of the Valkyries," Wotan's heart-breaking farewell to his beloved daughter, and the finale's "Magic Fire Music." Conductor James Conlon "elicited iridescent tonal colors from the score, making Die Walküre possibly James Conlon's best work in Los Angeles to date" (Daily Variety). The peerless cast is led by the Siegmund of Plácido Domingo, "continues to be in miraculous voice" (New York Times) and Michelle DeYoung, who brings "an earthy yet sumptuous voice and beautifully direct emotional expression to her singing" (New York Times) as Sieglinde. Soprano Linda Watson, Bayreuth's Brünnhilde of choice, returns to a role she "sang with penetrating sound, urgency, fearless attack and sensitive shadings" (New York Times). Director Achim Freyer creates "a series of breathtaking images that leave interpretation up to the spectator... pure stage magic" (Germany's Die Welt).

The saga continues on Saturday the 27th with Siegfried. Find out why critics are raving about LA Opera's production of The Ring, designed and directed by the visionary artist Achim Freyer and under the musical leadership of James Conlon, who is an acclaimed exponent of Wagnerian repertoire. "A world-class event" commented The London Times and London's Financial Times exclaimed "historic… miss it at your own peril."

Nothing can stop the heroic young Siegfried: With his mighty sword he slays the dragon Fafner, claims the coveted golden ring, defeats the great god Wotan in battle, and, risking all, walks through fire to awaken the beautiful sleeping warrior-goddess, Brünnhilde, with a kiss. This bold fairy tale contains some of the Ring's most exhilarating music, including Siegfried's joyous "Forging Song," the evocative "Forest Murmurs" and the ecstatic love duet that brings the opera to a euphoric finale.

"What director-designer Achim Freyer, music director James Conlon and LA Opera have actually achieved is a moving, sympathetic Siegfried that faithfully serves the music, the text and the psychological intent of the third installment of Wagner's Ring cycle. This is a Siegfried that audiences can feel, know and heartily embrace" (Opera News).

John Treleaven returns as "a Siegfried with steely heroic heights and massive power of endurance whose performance elicits ballistic applause" (Stuttgarter Nachrichten). Linda Watson has won "consistent ovations for her Brünnhilde" (The New York Times). Heralded by the Financial Times last season as "a new international-level Wotan," Vitalij Kowaljow reprises that character, this time disguised as the Wanderer. Also starring Graham Clark, Richard Paul Fink, Jill Grove and Eric Halfvarson.

Finally, on Sunday the 28th, Götterdämmerung (The Twilight of the Gods) The curse of the ring runs its course in the final chapter of Wagner's epic music drama. The Twilight of the Gods begins with the rapturous love shared by Brünnhilde (Linda Watson) and Siegfried (John Treleaven). But the evil Hagen (Eric Halfvarson) plots against Siegfried, first administering a magic potion of forgetfulness and then murdering him. Making the ultimate sacrifice, Brünnhilde heroically cleanses the ring of its curse, and the reign of the gods comes to an end in a spectacular finale unparalleled in opera.

Opera Today has commented that "LA Opera Music Director conductor James Conlon, who mastered Wagner during his years in Cologne and Paris, drew superb playing from the LA Opera Orchestra… a thrill a minute!" The Sunday Times (London) called his Wagner conducting "luminous, viscerally exciting!"

You'll be swept away on an incredible adventure: from the opening Prologue drenched in doom to "Dawn and Rhine Journey" to "Siegfried's Funeral March" culminating in the dramatic climax of the final apocalyptic "Immolation Scene." This celebration of the human spirit soars to heights of heroism and proclaims the redemptive power of love!

It's Thursday night, the night of the first section of the epic work. The cold, gray skies are a stark contrast the the warmth and light coming from the Beaudrie Opera House. Due to the sheer size of the event, as well as the wealth of many in attendance, there is increased police presence around the BOH... but it would likely, at best, merely slow any determined supervillain. Of course, there could be some superheroes nearby already, either in the audience, staked out on a building across the street, or just passing by while on patrol... assuming, of course, they can still squeeze into their costume after a hearty Thanksgiving lunch!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus, Eddie thought, as he finished reading the article, I wonder who they paid to write that history book. I guess it doesn't matter. It's not like I'm going to miss this. Good thing the manager of the Beaudrie knows me. I'll just have to tell him I owe him a favor. Eddie tossed the copy of the Freedom Leager back onto the counter in his kitchen. Elizabeth had left it there. Like you couldn't drop a bigger hint. He pulled his cell phone out of his jeans pocket. "Jason, hi!" Eddie greeted the man on the other line when he picked up. "Right. Right, I know. But listen: What would you pay for front row tickets to my next concert? Travel expenses paid and everything? Really? Wow. Okay, now how does that compare to the price of two tickets to see this Wagner thing you guy's have got going on?"

A few minutes later, Eddie was on the phone once more, "Hey, Liz, You'll never guess what I got."

Felix Fassbinder had seen and heard the buzz on the latest opera production, and was impressed. The reviews were excellent, and it was one of his favourite opera's, as befitting a 70 year old German.

Putting the newspaper down, and taking a sip of freshly brewed coffee, he reclined, ignoring his breakfast. He was basically a man of leisure these days - the company rarely needed his input, meaning there was plenty of time for play.

He stood up and walked to the mirror, examining himself. No need to go as Felix. Black oil started trickling down his skin, and his flesh bulged, danced, and finally settled. He had chosen a Germanic, Aryan Male as a body. The name would come later. First, buy some tickets, and get a DJ that fits!

Elizabeth was hard at work preparing for the big dinner that was going to be tomorrow. She was taking Eddie to meet her family for Thanksgiving. While she did enjoy when Eddie cooked for her, she likened cooking to an art. Thus she studied it (along with almost everything else) as a part of her free time. The was something almost zen about the whole process. You had to be in a certain zone to truly master some things. This was one of them. While between the cutting vegetables for one of the casseroles something snatched her out of her cooking nirvana. The sound of Sweet Child Of Mine buzzed her cellphone. She forgot that she had left it on the counter. She hurriedly picked up the phone, "Hey sweetie, what's up?" She smirked when he asked his question. "The guessing game huh? I guess that you have a weed eater, a live chicken and some peach preserves."

"Nope!" Eddie smirked. Though she couldn't see it, she could practically hear him smiling. "I'll give you a hint. It's smaller than a breadbox. Also, there's two of them." He waited for her response, "Nope, not that either..." Eddie smoothed out the article in the paper on the counter, glancing at it as he spoke. "Give up? Okay. I scored us two great tickets to see Der Ring des Nibelungen. Assuming we can move after the turkey, that is."

"That body wash that smells so good on you?" Elizabeth was happy to hear Eddie so happy. "Two bottles?" she chuckled playfully, "I don't know, you got me." She did not expect what was coming next. She saw the opera and thought she would tease him with it, but him actually going out and getting tickets? She mentally stopped when he actually said he had the tickets. "Oh honey, you shouldn't have," she said with a happily shocked tone, "Those tickets they don't come cheap or easy." She sat a bowl of batter down on the counter and sat in a chair. She had a dress or two for the opera herself, but this means she'd have to get him something to match. "I'll get you something nice. Don't worry about dressing yourself." She had the perfect black Armani suit in mind for him. She'd pick it up late today and size it for him later tonight.

"Oh please. Everything's easy when you're a famous rock star." Sometimes it was difficult to tell whether or not Eddie was being serious or not. Sometimes it was a little of both. "I know a guy. We basically just traded tickets. He'll have reserved seats at my next concert. So it was really no big deal."

"I'll get you something nice. Don't worry about dressing yourself." She had the perfect black Armani suit in mind for him. She'd pick it up late today and size it for him later tonight.

"Wait, what? No, it's cool. I have a suit I can wear. Just tell me what color tie I should get." he said while thinking, Jeez it's like I'm going to prom all over again. @#$%. Prom. Zoe. @#$%.

Elizabeth smiled mischievously. It would be a surprise then. As this was a surprise for her. "Oh, alright," she sighed happily 'defeated', "Black. I have this little black dress you'll love. Though, when this whole cooking thing is done I'll drop by tonight so we can compare. Sound good?" She began to plan his suit mentally. It would have to be a little bit big, but she knew the tailor. And the tailor knew she knew her tailoring. So it wouldn't be too much of a hassle. "Also, remember, don't eat too much tonight, you'll need room."

"Ugh!" Eddie groaned as the pair approached the box office where the opera was being held. "I think the tailor should have taken the measurements after we ate," he rubbed at his stomach. "I still can't believe you got me this... this... it's amazing. I always hated wearing dress clothes, but I can't even feel these." He ran his hands down the smooth sleeves of his black Armani suit jacket. "I'm amazed at the difference good clothes make." He gave Elizabeth a sideways glance, "Thank you." He took her hand in his as they approached the box office, "You shouldn't have, but thank you." his smile lit up his face.

Slick adjusted the sleeves of his perfectly fitting Dinner Jacket as the Taxi pulled up outside the performance. Well, it would fit perfectly. Or rather, he had made sure he fitted the clothes.

He effected a slight German accent - not difficult, he had a transatlantic well spoken accent normally, and was German by birth. Only slight however, he didn't want to push it.

He had taken the name Auric von Ardenne, a German playboy and businessman of "this and that" enterprise.

He stepped out of the taxi, giving the driver a generous tip and a "Danke" before striding into the opera house and having a good look around. He had booked a seat in the box, of course. Well, two, in fact. One would be for the champagne, or his feet. But of course if he happened to see any charming lady or appropriately inclined and handsome gent, then perhaps a little romance and seduction would be in order after an invite to join him.

Elizabeth blushed as Eddie laid on the praise. It was nothing really. Now that he really new something about her family, she could breathe a bit easier. She wasn't avoiding telling him about them, it had just slipped her mind. For almost two months. But now he knew her financial status wasn't so bad as she couldn't buy such a suit. Though she was the tailor, she smiled at the jab about doing work after dinner. SHe hoped he enjoyed dinner as well. "You're welcome, honey," she said stopping to straighten him up after he stretched a bit. His black suit, black shirt and red tie went perfectly with her little black dress. "And I can't thank you enough for getting these tickets. Hopefully you enjoy this. I know Beaudrie Opera House offers season tickets if you do."

The two talked of scheduling and future plans as the entered the theater. Between the album and the upcoming tour to release it, season tickets would be tough to pull off. "I'll try. But at this point, I can't promise that I'll have time. School has basically gone to crap for me, so if I don't make some money on this album to help pay off all the shows I cancelled last time, I'll be in deep." Eddie shrugged as they followed the usher to their seats, "That tour's gotta be my first priority right now. But when it's done, I promise I'll have plenty of time to relax while the album runs its course."

The usher showed the pair to a box high above the pit to stage left. The seats were a soft red velvet. Eddie ran his hand over the material before he took his seat. "Oh man, I think I could get used to this. Just think," Eddie smiled as he held Elizabeth's hand when she sat, "Soon enough, I'm going to be famous enough, that this won't even qualify as a favor anymore. In a few months time, it's gonna be red carpets, all the time." Eddie was beaming. He was so excited that he practically had stars in his eyes.

Slick took a seat in the box right, and promptly put his feet up on the other seat. Nobody had caught his eye - perhaps he wasn't in the mood, he reflected. It was German Opera, after all, and it was likely to bring home some memories. Not entirely good ones, but important ones.

No, he would want this evening to himself, if he was honest with himself.

He took a look at the champagne on ice. A fine vintage. But again, he hardly wanted his senses dulled.

He wanted an epic, emotional evening.

And an epic evening it was! Moments after settling down, a figure emerged from behind the curtain. It was an older gentleman, with wild white hair and beard, in a simple brown suit. When he spoke, it was in German, but the quintet of monitors set at the top of the stage transliterated his words into English. "Good evening, and welcome! I am Achim Freyer, director and designer of this innovative production, and I would like to thank you all for coming to this historic event. I would also like to think Doktor Viktor Archeville and ArcheTech, for the new real-time translation/transliteration system which is putting my words -- and will put the words of the operatic performers -- into English on the screens above me. Now, I was going to say something about the history of this opera.. but I think I will skip that and just get on to the show!" He smiled, gave a slight bow, and exited, stage left.

The four minute prelude beginning with a low E flat, building in more and more elaborate figurations of the chord of E flat major, to portray the motion of the river Rhine. The curtain rose to show, at the bottom of the Rhine, the three Rhine maidens, Woglinde, Wellgunde, and Flosshilde, playing together. The key shifts to A flat as Woglinde begins an innocent song whose melody is frequently used to characterise the Rhine maidens later in the cycle. Alberich, a Nibelung dwarf, appears from a deep chasm and tries to woo them. Struck by Alberich's ugliness, the Rhine maidens mock his advances and he grows angry. As the sun begins to rise, the maidens praise the golden glow atop a nearby rock; Alberich asks what it is. The Rhine maidens tell him about the Rhine Gold, which their father has ordered them to guard: it can be made into a magic ring which will let its bearer rule the world, but only by someone who first renounces love. They think they have nothing to fear from the lustful dwarf, but Alberich, embittered by their mockery, curses love, seizes the gold and returns to his chasm, leaving them screaming in dismay.

Slick had some dust in his eye. It had been one of his father's favourite opera's, and he remembered why. The music had that Germanic oppressiveness, etched with doom and fate, yet filling one with vigour and passion nonetheless.

Somehow, for all his beauty, he identified with the dwarf the most. Had he renounced love. Perhaps he had, for all the floozies that he cavorted with. His father hadn't really commented, but he suspected he didn't approve. The opera was speaking to him with powerful memories and inevitably his repressed, unconscious psyche was singing along.

Music for thought he realised, riveted by the performance.

Elizabeth didn't mean it that way, but if Eddie could get season tickets, more power to him. She was just as fine buying him the tickets herself. "You know you can ask me for any help you need," she smiled when he mentioned his trouble at school. She was a pretty OK teacher if she did say so herself. She thought about the album when he brought it up. She wondered if the band accepted her or thought of her as a Yoko Ono type influence on him. Surely she wasn't forcing his hand, was she? When he mentioned the future, she smiled as his face lit up. Dream big, her professors always told her and she told others. This was Eddie's big dream and she was determined to make it a reality for him. She wanted to say something, but she was too caught up in his happiness. Them holding hands, she laid her head on his shoulder. It was warm and comforting.

She sat up as the show started, still holding his hand. She remained quiet as the show progressed. She wanted to tell Eddie everything about it as it was going on. A pop up video for opera as it were. Though she would let him watch the show first. It was a good show. The whole dwarf-in-lust scene was very dramatic. She held to Eddie and whispered in his ear, "Very insightful on what not to do."

Eddie had been oddly silent so far through the opera, "Yea," he responded absently. Almost not hearing her.

Is that how they saw it? My friends? Or at least the people that used to be my friends? Do they think that I abandoned them? Tossed them aside just for something I had wanted at the moment? Aware that he was loosing himself in his thoughts, he gritted his teeth slightly, No. You can't think of it that way. You can't dwell on this anymore. Buck up and let it go. The longer you dwell on this crap the more it's going to mess you up. For better or worse, what's done is done. Don't forget about it, but for God's sake, move on!

"Sorry," Eddie smiled with renewed vigor, turning to Elizabeth, "Yea, that was a pretty raw deal he just made. But you don't have to worry about me. I'm all about the fans." He turned back to look at the stage once more, "Good music so far, huh?"

Had she even asked? Christ, BD. Shut your mouth before you get all emotional. This really isn't the time or place.

Elizabeth watched as Eddie seemed upset. She didn't want him to be as such, lightly stroking his hand as the opera went on. She wondered what he was thinking. Was the band really on his mind? Did this really remind him of the whole musical process? She could only wonder and comfort at the moment, as it would be rude to start a conversation at the moment. Maybe at intermission she would speak with him if he seemed distressed then, or if not she could at least ask him what he was thinking. She hoped it was the latter.

"Well, so far so good." Warren muttered to himself as he continued clicking through interface to interface of the laptop hooked up to the translator. He quickly downed a can of red bull before dumping the empty can into a garbage bag next to him. School, super heroics, surprisingly popular band and now an internship with Archetech. Warrens world was pretty busy as a result. Lets see. Heat sinks still good. Translation is still crystal clear with a zero point zero two percent of error. Microphones not picking up any foreign sound frequencies. he let himself relax for a moment and enjoy what he could hear. Didn't get to go to many shows, either classical or metal. Bit sad he could see it, being in the backstage and all.

"Shhhh" a voice behind Muse hissed when she spoke. When Eddie spoke, two people behind them shushed.

Scene two opened with Wotan, ruler of the Gods, asleep on a mountaintop with Fricka, his wife. Fricka awakes and sees a magnificent castle behind them. She wakes Wotan and points out that their new home has been completed. The giants Fasolt and Fafner built the castle; in exchange Wotan has offered them Fricka's sister Freia, the goddess of youth and beauty and feminine love. Fricka is worried for her sister, but Wotan is confident that they will not have to give Freia away, because he has dispatched his clever servant Loge to search the world for something else to give the giants instead.

Freia enters, screaming in fear, followed by Fasolt and Fafner. Fasolt demands payment for their finished work. He points out that Wotan's authority is sustained by the treaties carved into his spear, including his contract with the giants, which Wotan therefore cannot violate. Donner (god of thunder) and Froh (god of spring) arrive to defend their sister Freia, but Wotan stops them; as ruler of the Gods, he cannot permit the use of force to break the agreement. Hoping Loge will arrive with the alternative payment he promised, Wotan tries to stall.

When Loge finally shows up, his report is discouraging: there is nothing that men will accept in exchange for feminine love, and, by extension, nothing the giants would accept in exchange for Freia. Loge tells them that he was able to find only one instance where someone willingly gave up love for something else: Alberich the dwarf has renounced love, stolen the Rheingold and made a powerful magic ring out of it. A general discussion of the ring ensues and everyone finds good reasons for wanting it. Fafner makes a counteroffer: the giants will accept the Rheingold in payment, instead of Freia. When Wotan tries to haggle, the giants depart, taking Freia with them as hostage.

Freia's golden apples had kept the Gods eternally young; in her absence, they begin to age and weaken. In order to win Freia back, Wotan resolves to follow Loge down into the earth, in pursuit of the gold.

An orchestral interlude follows that "paints" the descent of Loge and Wotan into Nibelheim. As the orchestra fades, it gives way to a choir of 18 tuned anvils (each of a specific size, quantity and pitch) beating out the dotted rhythm of the Nibelung theme to give a stark depiction of the toiling of the enslaved dwarves.

Now at the hour mark, and brief intermission was announced.

Sounds pretty silly to me. Eddie thought, Giving up all that just for some gold? Not worth it. Look at everything she means to the gods. Youth, peace of mind, more? You can't put a price tag on that.

Or on friends...

Eddie was so lost in thought that he made no comments about how inventive the anvils were. He made no mention of how he'd love to be able to record some effects using unorthodox instruments. He didn't even move a muscle when the intermission was announced.

At one time, those things would have excited him incredibly. Now, they were faded, the sound of the anvils muffled by the hammering of the thoughts in his head.

"This is the reason why I sing..." he thought out loud.

Elizabeth watched the show with great interest. It was beautifully tragic. They didn't make shows like this anymore. She was caught up in it all. Each scene. From the love unrequited to the action back to the drama again. She was surprised the the people used Donner's name in the opera, since the whole World War II incident. Then again, the timing would be all messed up if they changed just the slightest bit. Preservation! The nazis win if we change anything! Silly little thought for a serious opera.when intermission was announced she turned to Eddie. He said something that needed more explanation. Plus she had questions of her own. "What's that honey?"

Warren sighed as he kicked back in his chair. So far the evening had been going according to plan. None of the equipment caught on fire, the performance sounded good (even if he had to keep a window open on the laptop just to understand what they were saying) and no supervillains were crashing the place. Thing were going just as planned by the organised...

Though the sudden nagging feeling in the back of the Guitar Genius's head started to gnaw at him. "Really hope I'm not jinxing myself." He mumbled to himself before cracking open another can of red bull. Doesn't taste very good, but at least it keeps me awake. And with that though out of the way, he took another sip. He quickly diverted the sound of his increased heartbeat to the corner of the room.

"Hmm...?" Eddie responded, his reverie broken. "Oh, nothing, really. Just some lyrics to a song that popped into my head. I must have just been thinking out loud."

Yea, that or you're losing it. Forget all this crap. Go get a drink and relax already!

Eddie's smile found it's way back to his face. He still seemed somewhat distracted, but internally, he wasn't going to let his problems bother him. Not tonight. "Hey, intermission." He jerked a thumb towards the back of the box they were seated in. "Want a drink?"

"No, I want to talk," Muse said with a concerned look on her face, "I've been noticing you've been acting awkward ever since the play started. Is it not your cup of tea? If so, I'm sorry for putting you in this predicament. Are you thinking about something else?" She looked him in the eyes with a comforting smile, "You know you can tell me anything."