The Lab

Supercape

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, a moon base is much more...high-end supergroup than down-to-earth science collective.

As for the extra ep...I dunno. It's not really necessary, since the Lab's pretty kitted out already, but the docks and bonus-providing workshops and library would be most fitting. Defense systems scale with the max contributor's PL, the cells don't need to be supervillain-quality, generally, and what in the world would we use the space from Dual Size for when we already have a 30-odd story skyscraper?

I'm not exactly oozing brainpower today, but I can't think of a lot to stuff in the space that'd provide....

As for the extra ep...I dunno. It's not really necessary, since the Lab's pretty kitted out already, but the docks and bonus-providing workshops and library would be most fitting. Defense systems scale with the max contributor's PL, the cells don't need to be supervillain-quality, generally, and what in the world would we use Dual Size for when we already have a 30-odd story skyscraper?

:science: !

Okay, so next month: Docks, Workshop 2, Library 2, and bank 2 EP. When/If Dynamo comes on, we can... I dunno. Start building mobile field Labs? :D

I'm a little squeamish on the AP: Moon Base myself. An AP means that you can only use one or the other at once. That works fine if it's a hideout/HQ written on a single character sheet, but if it's a Research Lab shared by multiple characters, it isn't really mechanically feasible. It means other characters can be in the Lab if someone is using the Moon Base. It just seems a little weird, and I'd rather avoid it than deal with the arguments.

Raveled, I'm fine with all the stuff you mentioned in your last post.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Would Blueshift be able to grab some space at the lab, possibly? Her walk in closet is getting kind of crowded for all of the 'experiments' she does.

She's worked with Supercape in the past so she might try to contact him with respect to this.

I'm of course willing to contribute the required Equipment Feats toward the development of The Lab, I'll put it on my updates for next month as I think I'm currently maxed out on PP.

Well, it's important to note that the Lab isn't just a place for people to do their experiments in. That's what private, personally-owned spaces (Dragonfly's warehouse, Gossamer's company, Miss A's hidden lab(s)) are for. The Lab's dedicated to science for the betterment of mankind; sometimes there's overlap between what happens there and the personal projects of the heroes who run it, but by and large what's done there are non-hero projects designed to help people, in the way of prosthetic limbs, new treatments, better law enforcement equipment, solutions for things like energy problems....

It's not like nobody's going to bring their personal projects to work with them sometimes, but the lion's share of Blueshift's experiments would probably still be stuck in her closet. If all she's looking for is more space and equipment for her own, not-necessarily-for-improving-the-lives-of-civilians work she'd be better off spending the equipment points on a workshop somewhere.

She's already got a business creating "doohickeys" and selling them for exactly the price of manufacturing just to make people's lives more convenient. That's what most of her inventions are. But she can't work on any large projects for the betterment of society when working out of her closet. What you described would actually be great for her. It gets her out of the house, and it gets her helping others (which she loves doing). Her therapist would say that it's a great combination. No she's not looking for a place to store her stuff or to do her own work. She's looking to help out.

Rachel might actually be willing to quit her part time job at Best Buy for a position like that. How would I go about setting this up? And would anyone at either facility know she's actually a hero? And like I said earlier, she likes helping people so any position in research and development would be right down her alley.

How would I go about setting this up?

If she's going to ASTRO Labs, I'd say just making a note in her News thread would suffice. If trying for ArcheTech, we should probably do an interview thread (though, as I've mentioned elsewhere, my current RL issues are making maintaining my existing threads difficult, much less starting new ones.)

And would anyone at either facility know she's actually a hero?

They would if her ID's public (or if they hit the DCs for the checks mention in her Rep Table to discover her ID). Otherwise, no, not unless she reveals it.

Well, I won't stress you. I'll have her start at ASTRO labs. Though I think it would be interesting in the future if Dr. Archeville sees how awesome she is and tries to make her a better offer to go work for him.

As Blueshift, I'd still like to see her get involved with The Lab. Given what I wrote above, is that still a possibility?

Honestly, it comes down to the founding characters and their players; I can't speak for any of the others, but for me it's more about Dragonfly's opinion and Dragonfly would probably have to research Blueshift and ask around with people she knows who've been in contact with her, to see what their impressions were. Off-panel, of course, 'cos that's not really worth a thread. I'll poke around at Blueshift's old threads (and see what information Dragonfly could reasonably come up with) and ask some people what their characters would relate if questioned.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

OK with Heritages sad departure and Gossamer thus retired from the Lab, that means less EQ :(

There are, I think, 4 options from here:

1. Somebody else joins the Lab and contributes 1 PP. Blueshift is the other super science character floating around (other than Dok A who I think is indpendent of the Lab). Perhaps Protectron upgraded to full member? OPen to any other suggestions.

2. We downgrade the Lab 5 EP :(

3. People commit more PP/EP. Quite an attractive option to my mind is the last four members putting another PP in so we end up with 15 EP to pump into the Lab, effectively upgrading it.

I would imagine the site is flexible enough to allow a grace period to sort this out rather than demanding an instant re-jig, but we should probably decide what to do.

I would vote for 1 or 3, no preference (although 1 does require identifying a new member).

Well it might be jumping the gun until other votes come in but:

Masterwork Library, Laboratory, Workshop, Infirmary

Dock and Pool

Holding Cells 2

Upgrade Security System

Powers: Communicate, Teleport, Comprehend (universal translator)

Gives 12 EP.

Other possibilities would be Alternate Bases as you said (An orbiting base or underwater base might be cool), or additional powers (like a matter creator / create object, supersenses (microscopic vision etc), nullifier (to reverse things like radiation, or transformation), etc...)