The Lab

Supercape

Following on from a discussion in Braniac Brunch OOC (and maybe IC) there is some considerable interest in a communal "lab" HQ for Freedom Cities smartpants heroes. The gadgeteers, scientists, techno-whizzes, and assorted megabrains.

In principle this is a communal / social commitment first, but will of course be serving as a fully operational HQ.

Hopefully it will be a future meeting place for Braniac's (rather than scruffy old library), and a good location for threads: aside from social threads as brainy people meet, greet and argue / collaborate on science projects, we have: robots going awry, explosions going off, and dimensional portals opening where they should not open too. And all sorts of other mad science stuff.

At the moment we have 5 PP to play with.

We need a location - any thoughts? I'm thinking central.

In principle, I'm thinking of a skyscraper or some similar sized building - i.e. Huge, Toughness +10 (maybe +15 if we go for "super architecture"). My other initial thoughts are:

Features:

Must Haves (anything brainy!):

Communications

Computer

Infirmary

Laboratory

Library

Workshop

Probables:

Combat Simulator

Power System

Security System (one suggestion was a feature to make this just INT based, like solving an equation to get in!)

Fire Prevention System

Personnel (Book of Magic: staff to clean and maintain the building, lift boys, doormen)

Possibles:

Defence Systems

Garage

Hangar

Living Space

? Dimensional Portal (Book of Magic: Alternate dimensions)

Things not to get:

Gym and Pool (hey, its not for working out in)

Dock (unless we build it by the river!)

Isolated or Concealed (defeats its social / visible purpose)

This would probably give plenty of spare EP to play with, so any other thoughts - probably powers I would have thought (or a pet robot butler, or something).

Finally, the HQ needs a name. I'm quite fond of just the simple "The lab(oratory)", although Heritage mentioned "The Think Tank" which rings quite well. Any thoughts?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, well let's not worry about how much we have to work with ATM. Let's just try and build a good base, since EP is fairly cheap.

So! Basic list of amenities for a super-lab.

• Computer
    Laboratory
    Library
    Workshop

Now let's see what we would need for an ideal super-lab.

• Communications
    Defense System
    Fire Prevention System
    Holding Cells
    Infirmary
    Living Space
    Personnel
    Power
    Power System
    Security System

The basic one is only 4 EP, and the expanded list is another 10 EP (more, if we want more Powers or a better Security System). The real question is: What sort of powers/defenses? Whose PL will it be built to? Building it to Dok A's level would give us a whole bunch of points to use, after all.

Archy, could we assume this would be housed at some ArcheTech subsidiary? I doubt any of the rest of the folks involved have the capital to fund it. Though Dawes Tech might, come to think of it; maybe a joint venture?

Gym and Pool can be useful as places to test certain devices. Or just social unwinding.

Again, I'd suggest we focus on getting the bare bones structure up before it becomes too complicated.

I think Hanover is a good idea.

Personally I would prefer no one character to have too large a stake in its ownership or rights etc, so it feels truly communal. It could perhaps been sponsored by a wide variety of tech / science institutions/universtities/companies, with the understanding that "the Lab" will mop up accidents gone awry, and generally help out these places. One skyscraper between all these world wide organisations is probably a drop in the ocean for them, for the security that it gives them.

At this point, as far as I know, confirmed members are:

Supercape

Miss A

Ironclad

Gossamer

Need confirmation from (but probably in)

Dragonfly

Dok A cant (at the moment) commit a PP, and hardly needs another HQ - but I vote is honorary member!

I'm not sure AEGIS/Dr. Volk would, actually, unless they did so with the expectation that "The Lab" is basically a think tank for AEGIS.

Dok would contribute to it (financially at least, if not also some tech), since "The Lab" seems to be somewhat like ArcheTech itself (multi-disciplinary research house beholden to no particular government or business interest).

Dok would contribute to it (financially at least, if not also some tech), since "The Lab" seems to be somewhat like ArcheTech itself (multi-disciplinary research house beholden to no particular government or business interest).

Yes, but you can't contribute EP, now can you? :P

I would assume Victory/Dr. Volk/AEGIS is contributing, too.

Not contributing, from the horses mouth!

SO, for 5 PP we can build something pretty decent. I am presuming the 5 above people are the members of "The Lab". With Doc honorary member. It can always accept new full members who chip in a PP to make it grow and expand (probably by new inventions in it).

Working template:

Size: Huge (Skyscraper / Equal sized building in Hanover district)

Toughness: +15 (Steel alloys, super-designed architecture)

Features:

• Combat Simulator
    Communications
    Computer
    Defence Systems (Snare PL 10)
    Fire Prevention System
    Garage
    Hangar
    Holding Cells 2 (+50% Toughness and Nullify 10)
    Infirmary
    Laboratory
    Library
    Living Space
    Personnel
    Power System
    Security System 3 [NB]
    Workshop

This brings us up to 25 EP and I think covers pretty much everything needed for now! Any ideas to modify, speak out

The one thing I would like to consider adding in is a dimensional portal.

I'd question the need for a Combat Simulator and Living Space. We could switch those out for a Dock (to complement the Garage) and some Powers. I'd recommend something like Concealment 3 (Hearing, Ultra-Hearing, X-Ray) and Obscure 1 (ESP). Just some stuff to keep the secret stuff, well, secret.

Not sure about Dock myself.

Combat Simulator was more of a "Holodeck" where we could run simulations, rather than actual practice combat.

Living Space? I'm neutral about it.

Obscure to ESP and Concealment sound good for a well designed lab. Possibly Obscure to Radio too.

Lets see what others say before making final call.

Looks like one more member (+1 PP) would come in handy...

Draft 2 based on comments (Dropped Living Quarters, dropped holding cells toughness bonus. Added Power: Obscure to ESP, and Power: Dimensional Portal)

Features:

• Combat Simulator
    Communications
    Computer
    Fire Prevention System
    Garage
    Hangar
    Holding Cells 1 ( Nullify 10)
    Infirmary
    Laboratory
    Library
    Personnel
    Power System
    Security System 3 [DC 30]
    Workshop
    Power: Obscure 6 (ESP and Radio. Extra: Selective)
    Power: ESP 4 (All senses, Feats: Dimensional 2 [All non-mystic dimensions] )

Still need feedback from Dragonfly and Gossamer. I am not sure about Holding Cells myself, on reflection.

EDIT: Just added this up, its 24 EP. One left over. Possibilities: Living Space (for all nighters, or resident projects), Docks (not a favourite for me, but possible for our submarines and oceanic exploration), or Communication Power. My vote is for Living Space or Communication Power.

As I understand it you can live short term in a HQ without Living Space but its not comfortable. i.e. it probably has a kitchenette and a comfortable couch.

A permanent Dimensional Portal does seem a tad odd. A Dimensional ESP (which glitches at dramatically appropriate times to become a true Portal), though, would be fine.

Docks can be used to store any watercraft you make. Living Space for when you pull all-nighters.

Holding Cells (of the Nullify Powers variety) can be quite useful when helping/studying Metahumans with uncontrolled or permanent powers.

My job's easy! I get to look at this thread after you've all tossed ideas back and forth and go, 'You guys tossed ideas back and forth and arrived at something neat! Good job!' :D More seriously, Dragonfly's 'only' Wealth 1 but would gladly contribute her brain and no small amount of money to a project like this. Borderline untraceable money, at that.

If there are points left over, I'd vote for living quarters (for overnighters/guests/whatever). It seems like something a considerate think tank would have for its visiting brains. Holding Cells would be useful but how often are they likely to be withholding metahumans from the authorities or facilities better-equipped for such things? If we have the points, that's easily my second pick (great for plots), but as it stands it seems like something that could be improvised when needed.....

Docks seems like a bit much, since it's a research/science base and not an actual superhero lair. Ground and air vehicles - either in-use or being worked on - would be far more common than subs or boats, especially that far from the coastline proper.

Based on everyones comments so far (Gossamer said basically "Yeah" from what I remember) I think we have final draft. Living Quarters seemed to get most support for final EP.

I think "The Lab" seems to win out on name, and Hanover for location.

The Lab

Members: Supercape, Miss A, Gossamer, Dragonfly, Ironclad

Members Honorary: Doc A

Features:

• Combat Simulator
    Communications
    Computer
    Fire Prevention System
    Garage
    Hangar
    Holding Cells 1 ( Nullify 10)
    Infirmary
    Laboratory
    Library
    Living Quarters
    Personnel
    Power System
    Security System 3 [DC 30]
    Workshop
    Power: Obscure 6 (ESP and Radio. Extra: Selective)
    Power: ESP 4 (All senses, Feats: Dimensional 2 [All non-mystic dimensions] )

Any final comments?

(Including where do we post the final form, and the fluff?)

I'm writing up some fluff for the Bunch and the Lab as we speak. Physically, I was thinking two towers, linked by some bridges/walkways. One tower would contain the personnel facilities (Living Space, Communications, et cetera) and the other tower would hold the heavier equipment and the bigger labs.