Fisticuffs Fundraiser! (IC)

Geez3r

Dark Star knew it wasn't a good answer and he didn't need his eyes to see it nor his other senses to feel it. He didn't contradict her though.

Instead, he was silent for a long moment. "Long ago, back when I first became what I am, I was somewhat new to my limits. Oh, I'd zipped around the galaxy for a few years without any problems. I hadn't been flexing all those particular 'muscles' so I had no idea what I could do. One 'day', I came across this ship. It was moving slowly through the system, exploring it I think. After showing myself to them, I passed through the hull to greet them. I didn't know their language but I was willing to learn, hence I tried for introductions. But I knew so little of what I could do back then. My energy interacted somehow with their power core. Within moments, the thing went through some kind of catastrophic failure while they scrambled around. I immediately flew out of the ship when I realized something was wrong, but it was too late." He let his shoulders drop. "I never knew who they were, how many there were or even where they came from. And yet because of me, most died. I recovered the few escape pods and eventually found their home world. I brought them home but I was still the reason many of the crew died." He trailed down memory lane for a long moment. "I learned eventually of course. But because of that particular mistake, I didn't see or make contact with another living being for...a very long time. I hid myself away, afraid of hurting others instead of trying to better myself. And regardless of what we are, people are not meant to be alone."

He straightened his shoulders. "It wasn't my only mistake of course. I've made my share. Far more than I'm comfortable with. All I can do is try to be better. To learn." He let his voice trail off. He knew what she was going through. Many had gone through similar experiences in one form or another. Sometimes it was the best you could do to share those experiences. Everything else...well, he had done what he could and offered her a metaphorical hand.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fulcrum listened intently and eventually turned to watch Dark Star. In the great scheme of things, what concerned her was insignificant, and that she understood. His story helped give her perspective. Sure she understood the context of her struggles and the events thereof, but tell that to a broken heart. Listening did help though. When he finished his confession, she nodded, "Thank you."

She reached out and "patted" him on the shoulder. Which meant placing an open hand at approximate shoulder level. By now the ethereal nature of his comic form was readily apparent to her, but even so the gesture felt somehow necessary. A moment of comfort between confessions and parties. A fleeting sensation, like the touch of a feather, registered to the star-eyed being.

Fulcrum turned back to the stars, "I do as I do, success and failure, learn and grow and improve. That I can understand. Everything else...," she trailed off with a shrug. After moment, a rueful smile crept onto her face, "I always figured I bypassed the angst stage of my powers, but I've had two huge, angst-ridden problems in less than six months." She smiled weakly, a mixture of irony and sadness.

Dark Star nodded. He was glad she was smiling at least. It was a good sign. "It's all anyone can do. As for 'angst', I think you will find that they will continue to pop up from time to time. Part of living and caring and all that." He looked back at the stars as well. "As long as you have people to lean on when things seem grin, it makes those things more bearable and more likely to find a resolution as well. I am available whenever you need me. I don't know what I can do to help, but I am willing to trying however I can even if it is just lending you my 'ear'." He was curious about what her other problem was, but it would be rude and forward of him to ask. If she wanted him to know or needed help, she'd speak up. He was just trying to be there, to help.

Colt moved to put his arms around Grim. Standing behind her and looking over her shoulder, he addressed the rest of the group, "I reckon we should be arright, though, right?"

Ace pulled the device from his pocket as he closed his phone and quickly scanned the heroes once more, "It seems unlikely that the levels we were exposed to will have any deleterious effects. From what I've read there has been little to fear from exposure to such energies, some possible complications to pregnant women, his eyes flicked for a moment to Grimalkin, but nothing I think any of us have to worry about."

"As for needing some one to talk too I believe she has plenty of that at the moment," he says as he nods to Jack and Dark Star heading off after her. "I'll see if I can wrangle up some experts to see her about the energies."

"Reckon that sounds mighty fine, Ace." Colt said laying a hand on the man's shoulder. "Y'all let me know if'n ya need help trackin' anyone down. I'll help however I can. Not that I don't think ya c'n handle it. Just, well, reckon it's fer Fulcrum, ya know?" Colt had caught Ace's look towards Grim, and while he was closer to the man, he gave a quick shake of his head. It was a discreet gesture, but it served to reassure Ace all the same.

Grim also saw Ace's quick glance at the mention of childbirth, and her eyebrows rose a bit, but otheriwse she offered no comment; she was far more concerned with Fulcrum's well-being right now.

"Maybe we should head out, honey; she's in good hands, and the last thing we wanna do right now is crowd the poor girl. Frankly I just want to get home, collapse in bed and sleep for three days straight."

"Well, I reckon Jackie Boy'll kick us later fer not patrollin' after the fights," Colt reasoned, "But yer right, I'm beat! Some rest'd do us good. An' ya know I can't say no'ta sharin' a bed with you." Colt gave Grim a wink and a nudge.

"Ace," Colt said, tipping his hat, "Think I c'n leave ya ta yer adorin' public?" He glanced quickly at the crowd.

Before the couple leaves, Atlas extends his hand to the two of them. "You put on a hell of a show out zere. I hope ve get ze chance to vork togezer some time. I have a feeling I can only see vhat ze two of you can do in a less... restricted... environment." he adds with a sly grin.

Fulcrum nodded, "Thank you, Dark Star. That means a lot to me."

She joined him in stargazing, minutes ticking away in the silence of the night. When she spoke again, some of the strength had returned to her voice, "I know people don't like me dressing like Centurion." Interestingly, the inflection to his name suggested she used it like true given name, and not simply a heroic persona. Probably would never say The Centurion either.

"I don't want to. I have to. Anything less would be disgracing myself and for what he stood," she stated simply and firmly, "I must continue no matter how hateful or disappointed others are of me. I'm not blind. I can understand their reasons." She wasn't referring to Dark Star specifically. His statements hadn't made it to her ears over the cheering. Other sources must be involved.

"Even if I failed in every other way, I would die for this world and yes, I would kill for this world."

He nodded at her. "I have no issue with the colors. Far from it. It's a uniform. It stands for something you believe in. An allegiance if you will. Soldiers around the world, and many others as well, wear the symbol of their allegiance on their uniforms for just that reason." He paused, a little unsure of how to proceed without offending her. "My concern is not the colors, it is the actions and intent. Centurion was and still is more than just a person. He is also an ideal. Most people cannot hope to achieve his level of honor and dedication. But we can try."

"My concern is more about living up to that name but changing how it is viewed. I make no secret that I dislike violence and always try for another way. Killing is really not an option. It has happened, yes. But I view it as a failure on my part if I'm forced to hurt someone. You...seem to have a different viewpoint. Reveling in it and accepting that you need or might need to kill as well does not seem to respect or be living up to Centurion's credo if you will." He paused and looked at here. "Please make no mistake, I do not mean to offend. I hold you and almost every other hero in high regard. I do not think you are failing anything. Far from it. I just worry about tarnishing what we, and he, stood for by not being role models to all. It is why I was so concerned over this evening's "contests"."

He suddenly stopped and blinked at her. "I'm sorry. You do not need this right now. I apologize. It's probably me just over analyzing and trying to be better than I am. I'm sorry." He gave a little shrug, embarrassed and sorry for bringing it up when she had so much other concerns on her mind. But he couldn't lie or be dishonest any more than he could sing a song (which he was atrocious at).

It wasn't hard to determine that Dark Star actually lived very close to the Centurion ideal, that of a true and iconic hero. It was also quite apparent that he didn't feel he was living up to that same ideal.

Ace turns to Atlas as the lovebirds flit away, "Well My Large Red Friend," He says with a smile, "It looks like you and I are all that's left for the victory celebration. What say we see just how much fine vodka it takes to get you drunk." he adds with a wink and a nod.

He follows his proclamation with a sweeping bow inviting Atlas to lead the way to the locker rooms and exit.

Atlas burst into a genuine laugh. "You may be ze only one in ze city rich enough to find out!" His thoughts about Fulcrum for the time being forgotten. She was in good hands after all. He would pay her a visit in the coming days but for now, it was time for celebration. Atlas lead the way out of the arena, hi-five-ing the crowd the whole way back to the locker room.

"Please offend all you want, Dark Star," Fulcrum said honestly, "I'd rather have someone insult me or be brutally honest than couch their words." Her gazed pierced through him.

"I love the struggle, the passion of life, joie de vivre, Dark Star. That's why I was confused when you ripped into me after the match," she threw her arms up and sighed, "Chess, boxing, painting, sex, food, sunsets: these are all things I seize upon. Not in debauchery, but in moderation as core values of life. I can't be a stoic monolith like Centurion all the time." She punched a fist up at the stars.

Drifting up closer, she whispered, a genuine if tense smile playing across her face, "If I'm honest with myself, I'm talking out my %&$ anyway. I don't know if I could kill Omega if I had him down. You're right, its a failure of diplomacy. I don't want conflict either. No matter how much it may seem so. I just will not hesitate when conflict is inevitable. I don't offer these as excuses. This is simply how I am. If a little girl came up to me and said she took up boxing because of me, I'd be proud I was her role model. There is a difference, a big one."

He was a man," stated Fulcrum calmly as she drifted back. She turned to look at him, "Killing yourself trying to live up to his 'ideal' accomplishes little in the long run and you know it. You have to be yourself and take what you can from his example."

He shook his head. "Thank you, but I still see it as a failing, bringing it up at the moment. And I am always honest. I simply don't believe in lying." He was thankful that Stesha dealt well with that one. He shrugged and brushed past some of the more uncomfortable topics she mentioned quickly. "I have no issue with enjoying life. Far from it. I tend to be more...reserved I think is the polite phrasing? I was raised during a time when that's just the way everyone was. Heroes were that iconic monolith. I suppose I took it to heart a little more than most though. It works for me I guess and I understand that it doesn't for most." He chuckled. "There are times when I have wondered and even tried to relax and 'let go' like everyone these days seems to do. It was not for me. But at least you know what you like to do. So continue on enjoying it to the fullest. Happiness comes in all forms."

He gave his mind a shake and returned to the topic at hand. "Regardless, I'm not sure if I could help but I can certainly be around you without concern and can negate any energy troubles you may have. Though honestly, I think I can confidently say that Ace is down there right now making some calls. There might be a more 'mechanical' or 'technological' solution to your problem which he or one of the geniuses like Doctor Archeville can find. Either way, if you need help with your powers, please don't hesitate to contact me. It isn't right for you to have to deal with such a burden alone."

Fulcrum smiled a wary smile. At least they had found common ground. She didn't claim to fully understand Dark Star, and he didn't seem to decipher her full intent. Still great progress was made and that was what was important. At least in her mind, they had far more in common than they had differences.

And to think a lot of this may be a meta-human generational difference. Need to follow this up...

But before she could respond, he switched back to the more important topic of the evening. The previous discussion was a difficult one, yes, but one she had wanted to pursue with an established hero, a diversion from the 500 lb gorilla. Her face darkened again, particularly at the mention of calls and scientists. The reaction wasn't disgust per say so much as a look of distrust. At least hope still sparkled in her eyes.

Rubbing the back of her head, "Thank you, Dark Star. I appreciate your offer, really. You've already helped me tremendously. I can't say I'm comfortable with what you've claimed, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Dosing people with radiation is the last thing I want to do, and you have more on your plate than shielding me all day." She averted her eyes.

"How should I contact you? You have a number?" said Fulcrum as she pulled out her iPhone. It looked ridiculously small in her hand, but she worked it deftly. Looking up from the screen, she asked quite seriously, swallowing hard before doing so, "Dark Star, I just have to ask. Is this normal radiation? Is this stuff Terminus radiation? Terminus energy?" She waited with bated breath.

He knew he'd said something wrong just by looking at her face. Even he could tell that. Man he was bad at this. Hopefully when she went to meet Jack later, the goofy hero could cheer her up and smooth this out. He just wasn't sure what to say.

"I'll be happy to help. And if you need to accompany me on my various treks to help you, then that is what we shall do. I'm not entirely comfortable with a mechanical fix I suppose but we have to start somewhere." He chuckled and rattled off a few numbers. "Most I just listen to various frequencies when I'm in-system. Those numbers need to go through satellite routing so they're easy enough to pick up."

He paused at her question, hesitating. It was not a pleasant one. Truth was not always easy to deal with, especially when compounded upon other painful truths. But he couldn't lie. "I haven't had a lot of experience with Terminus energies you understand. So I can't be completely certain. But...yes, I think it might be," he answered quietly.

Fulcrum looked like someone very strong, Altas maybe, had kicked her in the chest. What little sparkle remained in her eyes faded, but she focused on entering numbers into the phone. The level of mental exhaustion was clearly apparent. She was fading, perhaps, back into 'iconic monolith' mode. The phone disappeared momentarily and she looked up to him. Tears rolled down her face.

"That's a cool ability. No cell phone bills," she started weakly, trying not to choke up, "You're a good man, Dark Star. I'm just a Centurion wannabe, but I can say this without ego. Centurion would have been honored to have you as a fellow hero. You're willing to give your time and energy to a virtual stranger, and that is something incredibly noble. I'll be there when you need me."

So many things left unsaid. She drew a breath, but instead looked up at the stars.

Great. He'd made her cry. Geez. Well done you idiot, he thought. He really sucked at this talking to people bit. He needed help on this and wasn't likely to get it. She needed a hug maybe? Which of course he couldn't give. He'd have to settle for the next best thing. He reached out one and hand made to 'squeeze' her shoulder. With a little delicate TK, he did so. It was the best he could do for that.

"Um, thank you. I'm not sure I'm that good though. But thank you for saying that." He looked at her and nodded. "You need help more than I do at the moment. How could I not offer to do whatever I could?" He followed he gaze upwards. "Is there a particular star you're looking at? If you'd like I can take you. It is not trouble at all." Especially if it made her smile.

"You'd do that?" said Fulcrum, a surprised and awed look on her face. Turning back to the stars, "No one in particular. I was just thinking, of all things, of Bladerunner. The soliloquy at the end." she finished, pointing to Orion. "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion."

She stopped again and sniffled through the tears, "I don't know who am I or where I want to go. Surprise me, Dark Star. Please. Show me the death of a star, the birth of another, voids consuming worlds, or the tenacity of existence." She spoke plainly, certainly not considering herself an eloquent speaker. Left unspoken, but within the context, was the wish to get away from it all. Just as much so as the wonder at seeing these things up close, as so few had ever seen before.

"Of course I would." Dark Star blinked, not understand the reference at all. He'd been watching a lot more TV lately, staying up late with Stesha but he was woefully ignorant about most of it. "Um, there usually aren't any attack ship, of any race that I know of, off of Orion. It's not a common system to visit really; not much there. There's a couple planets in nearby systems that do have some life though. Rigel in particular has a post industrial species that is doing quite well," he added, missing the point.

He paused in thought. "The birth and death of stars are not common. Though...I think I might know something impressive." He linked the two of them, creating a bubble around them for easier travel. He quickly brought the two of them into orbit in a blink. Once there, he gestured, creating a wormhole. A moment later they were still in the black depths of space. "We're almost on the other side of the galaxy. About eighty thousand light years, give or take a couple dozen." He sent them hurtling forward until what appeared to crystal began to grow in front of them the closer they got.

Fulcrum listened quietly, both amazed and amused at the being before her. What frail a connection he had to humanity was abundantly made up by the sheer knowledge he possessed of the universe writ large. She really did want to call him a friend, and that moment of reflection came across as a strained smile. But that only lasted a moment.

Moving through space and time in such a way was something radically new for her. Sure, short-range teleportation was within her experience, but moving that fast and going through practically a Star-Trek-Deep-Space-Nine wormhole threw her completely off. She floated there dumbstruck, child-like her look of wonder, gazing upon the blackness. Speech came haltingly, not fearful per say, but undecided what to verbalize.

Her wits returned as they approached the crystal, "Wha...what is that?"

Dark Star pointed at the growing crystal planetoid in front of them. Despite the blackness of space, it fairly sparkled and had a faint glow. "This? This is quite likely the largest crystal in the galaxy. Certainly the largest I know of. It's structure and composition is unique but similar to diamond. I suppose you could say it's one big diamond, even though that isn't technically accurate. It's a little bigger than Earth's moon. Unlike that moon, this is actually solid. There are numerous passages and cracks throughout of course." The scintillating sphere quickly took up their entire vision before he slowed their approach.

He nodded at the surface. "It's a lovely and impressive sight. But that's not why I brought you here. There are actually people here. I never learned the actual specifics but long ago, their ancestors crashed here. Somehow, they managed to survive despite the harsh environment. They managed to make their own life here, adapted to the impossible. When offered a chance to leave, they turned it down. They are...unique. They are both organic and inorganic crystal, like their home. They are the finest craftsmen despite their isolation. The beauty of their cities is...breathtaking." He brought them slowly downward to the surface, concealing them. "They don't particularly like visitors showing up unannounced so we can't go in. But there are several 'windows' to the cities inside; the crystal is that clear. That's what I wanted you to see. Life and beauty in the most impossible of places." He brought them down to stand on the surface, pointing down to the glistening and glowing city laid out hundreds of feet beneath their feet. It might not have been the titanic forces of destruction, but Dark Star preferred a more positive note anyway.

Kneeling down, Fulcrum took in the sight in wide-eyed awe. The more she looked, the bigger her smile became. To say the sight was amazing didn't do it justice. Fulcrum after all had never left the planet. She may, or may not depending on who you spoke to, have seen aliens before, but certainly never alien lifeforms as unique as these. As the begins went about their lives, her eyes darted about, reveling in the experience of watching them.

Everything interested her. Their movements, forms, interactions, architecture, tools, commerce, relationships: you (and she) could spend a lifetime just watching this one species in its crystalline home. Eventually she just laid down, nose to glass, trying to see the small detail. For a few moments, her concerns faded into the background, "The tenacity of life," she whispered reverently.

Yes, indeed, destruction was nothing compared to the wonders of life. Questions buzzed in her mind, but she chewed on her lip and remained silent.

He floated there with her, enjoying the movements of the people below. He was quiet for a long time, letting Fulcrum absorb as much as she liked silently. Eventually he spoke up softly. "I've recently starting seeing movies. Many are...less than exceptional pieces of cinema I suppose. But I just saw this one with cloned dinosaurs. One particular line struck a cord in me and something I've always believed. 'Life finds a way.' No matter how impossible things may seem, how bad the problems that beset us are, life will find a way. Sometimes we just need to keep trying and have a little faith," he said quietly.

Fulcrum stilled for a moment, then turned to Dark Star. She started to say something, but thought against it and turned back to the crystalline people. After a few more minutes, she said, "With that I agree totally. I have no...organized faith per say, but I believe in life too."

That's why I do what I do, at the end of the day.

"Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up," she quoted, still people watching.