Fisticuffs Fundraiser! (IC)

Geez3r

He floated just above the surface, taking in the peaceful surroundings. He always loved the peacefulness of space and he spent a lot of time out here. Though lately, there was just nothing like home. Not even close. "We can stay as long as you like or head home now. No rush. I understand how enjoyable this is, believe me." He looked out into space, enjoying the view. "We've got some time. I just don't want you to miss the meeting with Jack." Dark Star was nothing if not honorable and responsible.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fulcrum nodded and continued observed the crystal people for several minutes. Finally though, with obvious regret, she stood up and looked out into space. Looking to Dark Star, she said, "Time to go. Thank you, Dark Star."

Taking one last, long look at the crystal moon, she added, "If you don't mind, would you show me, sometime or other, other things you've seen please? Or least keep updated on these folks please?" She smiled, a real, honest one, her burden temporarily lifted.

"So what's your story, Dark Star? How did you come to wander the galaxy and come to Earth?" For some reason, that question had nagged at her since he told her of the space ship.

Dark Star nodded, the smile in his voice evident. "You're very welcome." He nodded at her as he lifted them up and away, zooming off into space faster than light. "Of course, I'd be happy to. I head out a couple times a week, for a day or so at a time. Random patrols and checking up on various people and places mostly. With the occasional bit of exploration thrown in. You're more than welcome to accompany me whenever you like."

"That's a rather long story," he said quietly. He flew quietly for a few minutes, not saying anything. He opened the wormhole and once more they were floating in orbit above Earth. He gave a little sigh. "Well, here's the short version. Once upon a time, many years ago, I was human. A scientist. Nothing exceptional really. I was quite skilled but a normal person. There was an accident and I was lost. When I came to, I was far from Earth and like this. To my eternal regret, I lost myself in my new form, in the freedom it provided and I wandered the galaxy for many, many years. Just exploring. It never occurred to me how much time had passed or that there were people who worried or needed me. It took meeting Daedalus out in space, dealing with an armada, to make me remember Earth. But by then...by then it was to late." He looked down at Earth, relieving the return and unable to forgive himself for failing in his duty. He shook his head a little. "Anyway, I came home and do my best to help. To do my duty and fulfill my responsibilities. Not just on Earth, but everywhere."

Fulcrum was quiet while Dark Star spoke. She looked down on the Earth, breaking the silence, "What about those who worried about you?"

A more complete mental picture of Dark Star was beginning to form. He likely was much older than her, and judging from his story, much of his present code of conduct was extrapolated from his upbringing and the trauma of his new life. She couldn't knock him for becoming very serious about his duty. Still a great deal of sadness resonated in that voice.

Although she didn't realize all of Dark Star's inner struggles, she wanted to reach out and help him as well, and felt just as powerless to do so. She'd try though.

He was quiet for another long moment after she asked. His sin. He fault. "They all died. Well, most," he said quietly. "Accidents, cancer. All of which I could have prevented, if I'd been here and not indulging myself traipsing across the galaxy. A quick return home, 5 minutes here or there, would have been all it would have taken. But I didn't." He looked down at their homeworld, slowly spinning majestically below them. "There is still my sister-in-law, and her two kids. But that is all that's left of my original family. And she doesn't exactly miss me. She understands and maybe even forgives me on some level now. But... what I did was..." he shrugged his shoulders while his voice was filled with regret. "I help take care of the kids every couple weeks and I have some money sent to help her out. Least I can do. It'll never make up for it, but I try."

"What about your life?" replied Fulcrum quietly.

She certainly wasn't being facetious. If anything, the questions were leading down a certain line of reasoning. Floating there above the world, everything seemed so clear, both in terms of the universe and one's duty. Dark Star's duty. Fulcrum's duty.

Too clear. Too simple.

"My life," he asked, almost rhetorically. "My responsibility and my duty towards others comes first. I have a responsibility to be there for people, to do my best to help them, to be a role model for them. It didn't matter what species; that premise remains the same."

He shrugged. "Several months ago, I had put some thought into this. I realized that being there to help, doing my solemn duty, would not help me care. I had little to no connections to anyone. There was nothing to hold me here or connect me to anyone. It is a fairly dangerous path to trod really. Everyone needs a reminder, needs to care about things on a personal level, or else the chance to slowly drift away is too great. To make connections with people is essential. Most races, especially humanity, are not isolationists. They need others, both as friends and confidants as well as simple reminders and communities. I'm glad I came to understand that before I left due to feeling alone."

He paused. "As to how I resolve those differences? Because duty first does make having a life somewhat challenging. Well, I suppose I think of myself as something like a small town doctor or sheriff. My time is my own, though I still watch and am aware of life around me just in case. But when I'm needed, my life and choices go on hold until I can return. That's the choice I make. It isn't for everyone, and might even be seen as a little extreme to some. But it is my choice, my responsibility. My duty."

Fulcrum nodded and listened. In a way this conversation sounded rehearsed, as if he was convincing himself or had it before. Still the inner workings of another super hero's mind were an amazing thing. Especially because of how diverse and often secretive they became. Hell, she knew she had her fair share of secrets.

Tapping her chin in thought, she asked, "So how have you connected with people then? Small-town doctors and sheriffs have friends, neighbors and families after all."

Dark Star chuckled softly. "It wasn't easy. When I first arrived on Earth, I ran into several other heroes in short order. I've worked with them and been there for them. They became my friends in short order. We even formed a Hero Group. The Knights," he said with mixed emotions. It was a happy endeavor but it had come crashing down because of him. Another mistake of his that burdened him unduly. "But even then, my connection to Earth was rather tenuous as eventually they would be gone and my reasons to stay, or even visit regularly, would be as well."

His tone of voice changed as his thoughts drifted, as they often did, to something (or someone rather) that made him happy. "But when it comes down to it? It was just luck. A friend set me up on a date of all things. I almost never took human form, hadn't in a couple decades. I'd pretty much buried or given up on the concept. Being like this doesn't exactly fill me with the need for human contact. And I'd forgotten or learned to forget and care about physically touching anyone. But I'd originally gone on the date as a favor for her. This friend is rather...persuasive. But lo and behold, it went so much better than I could have imagined. I fell in love of all things, after all this time." He chuckled at the happy thought. "Love, fate, destiny, hope, whatever you'd like to attribute it to. Life found a way once more."

He paused. "I'm sorry to bore you with my tale. You asked so I was compelled to answer," he said honestly. The idea of him not answering honestly seldom came to his mind anyway. "Not sure if it has helped or not. Nor do I mean to dominate the conversation. I was here to help you after all."

Fulcrum smiled at the tale, "Oh, you helped me quite a bit. It wasn't boring at all. Good to see you really connecting with someone."

Looking back to the earth, she nodded and continued, "Your story is really heart warming, and exactly what I needed to hear right now. Not only does it get my mind off my own problems, but it also gives me hope that things will work out in the end."

"So, hey, congratulations and best wishes from my side," she chuckled, "elbowing" him, "To think, sounds like a blind date that actually worked. You really turned on the charm, didn't you, you old smoothie?" A playful smile indicated her jest. Dark Star was a nice enough guy, but she doubted he was much of a lothario.

"Is the lucky person a hero too?"

Dark Star nodded at her, the smile in his voice. "I'm glad it helped. I believe it will work out eventually. I suppose it's my 'Faith'. I believe in people. I believe it will work out for you. And I'm willing to do my best to help make that belief a reality."

He chuckled, missing the undertone. "I was suprised myself. Blind dates were always something to dread from what I recall. And this may come as something of a surprise but I am not one of the most socially...astute individuals. I generally don't do well in social situations. But apparently that deficiency didn't bother her unduly. Too often. I hope," he said with another chuckle. He gave a little nod. "Indeed she is. More so than she thinks she is too. While it has nothing to do with why I love her, she is definitely a hero." He looked over at Fulcrum. "How about you?"

Fulcrum shrugged, "Significant other? No, not at the moment. I haven't been in a serious relationship since my powers developed. I have old friends, my family and my new super hero friends. That's enough for now."

"I always dreaded blind dates too. Made me question my friends' taste in guys sometimes," she chuckled and shook her head, "Unfortunately the sorts of problems I encountered before my powers are only amplified now. I tend to run into three stereotypes: the dominator, the trophy hunter and the wimp."

"Some were good though. Never really know until you try. Maybe I need to get back into the dating scene," mused the heroine as she gazed at the earth.

Dark Star nodded, not really knowing exactly what to say to that. He wasn't entirely comfortable with the topic of dating, though it was nearly as bad as discussing...stuff that happened on dates. "Um, yes, well. I am certainly no expert on this subject. And any advice I would give would probably not be the best. Um, but I have a few friends who are certainly more, uh, accomplished and skilled in this than I. If you like, I'd be happy to arrange an introduction. Ace knows pretty much everyone as near as I can tell. And if not, I know another woman who is...well, she's good at this stuff too."

Fulcrum shrugged again and chuckled, "Sorry, Dark Star, didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. Yeah though, if you'd at least introduce me around please, I'd appreciate it. Even dating aside, I like to meet new people. One of the minor reasons I signed up for the charity event."

She nodded and added, "Which I still think went off pretty damn well all considering. I know the crowd loved it, the coffers were full and future attendance guaranteed. Except for the whole radiation thing and, yes, the 'forcefield incident', the evening went off without a hitch." She snickered.

"How did you get roped into being the referee anyway?"

Dark Star nodded. "Ace Danger is a good man. He was there tonight. He is skilled and talented in many areas, not to mention being impressive Hero in his own right. But he knows more people across this planet than anyone I've ever heard of. He gets around. He's certainly more...sociable than I." And a lot of of ther things as well but Dark Star would let the immortal hero's works and deed stand for themselves or she could simply as the man he supposed. "If you're looking to meet people, dating or otherwise, he could almost certainly help direct you or offer suggestions I'm sure. The other is...I'll have her look you up. I don't know if she maintains an secret identity and prefer to err on the side of caution when dealing with other people's secrets." He'd have to give Moira a call, or have Stesha do it, and check.

He nodded. "I suppose it worked out alright. I might be a big supporter or believer in the venue, but at least it was for a good cause. And everything did work out in the end," he said with the confidence and faith of someone who had little doubt of that certainty.

He shrugged. "I get around. And I have a reputation for honesty among other thigns and I certainly do my best to be fair. I didn't think I was going to be needed. Perhaps they thought it would do well to boost the ratings? I honestly don't know. This isn't exactly my 'thing'. But they asked for help and I do try my best. Since the money was going to a good cause, I could hardly say no," he said.

"Ace Danger. Okay, he was in the first round wasn't he? Against Colt?" Fulcrum wagged a finger, "I forgot all about him. His reputation proceeds him."

Fulcrum chuckled and moved both hands up-and-down like a balance, "Super hero boxing matches, super hero referee. Makes perfect sense by media logic. You're right about ratings."

Looking down once more at the world, she smiled, "I think we've come full circle. Now things can get back to as 'normal' as they get around Freedom City. Once I have myself treated for this radiation problem, I would love to accompany you on your patrols."

Dark Star chuckled lightly. "I'm not entirely sure but I think he might be offended that you forgot him. He is rather memorable," he said jokingly. "But, yes. He's easy enough to find if you'd like to meet him on your own. Or I can introduce you or call for you. Your decision of course." He had no intention of telling Ace anything she told him though he expected Ace knew quite a bit about it already.

He nodded to her, the smile in his voice. "We have indeed. I enjoyed speaking with you and am glad you are feeling better. If you need me, do not hesitate to call. And when you are ready, I will be here."

"Thank you, Dark Star. I enjoyed speaking with you as well. Once my treatments are complete, I'll give you a call." She seemed confident now that her problem would be brought under control eventually.

Her face pinched up in thought a moment before adding, "I thinking introducing me would probably work best. I chatted with him at the match, but a third person helps break the ice further."

With a hint of closure, she turned to Dark Star, "The same is true vice versa. If you need anything, please call any time." She listed off her phone number.

Dark Star nodded in understanding. "Of course. Let me know when you're ready. Ace's schedule is busy but...flexible. I'd be happy to introduce you on a less complicated day." He looked down at the large blue orb beneath them. It had been a productive time and successful too. She was feeling better after all. "I'm glad you're feeling better. Do you need a lift back down or would you like to make your own way home?"

She smiled, "If I had the time, I'd head back down on my own. Unfortunately I'd probably be late for my meeting with Jack. A lift back down would be appreciated please."

Looking down at the earth from this vantage was spectacular. No wonder astronauts enjoyed the view. Breathtaking. From up here her problems seemed so small and only in the best of ways. She took a deep breath and felt at peace.

He nodded. "Of course." A few hundred miles wasn't hard to cross in the blink of an eye. "Here we are. From one end of the galaxy to the other and back again. All in an hour," he said with a chuckle. "I hope your talk with Jack helps. Good luck to you Fulcrum. I hope to see you soon." With the faith and certainty that everything would work out, he nodded to her and shot upwards, heading for deep space. Appointments to keep and miles to go before he sleeps.