Carnival in the Park (IC)

Eviscerus

Carnival Center

Colt was honestly used to getting more of a reaction out of people. He scrutinized the girls faces. He wasn't the most subtle of people, so he was sure at least some word of him would have gotten around. Still, his entrance to this particular circumstance could have easily pegged him as one of the carnival workers, dressed as he was.

Colt eventually chalked it up to his clothing. He had considered changing his outfit before, or at least wearing something over top the shirt and breaches. That way the coat wouldn't be too out of place...

Colt shook of the useless thoughts running through his head. That would be for another time and place.

He turned his attention back to the girls. "So, what brings a group'a pretty ladies like yourselves ta this neck'a the woods? Here fer the show?" Colt jerked his thumb towards the stage that had been set up for the fire swallowing act. "If'n ya ask me, things like that're a load'a wash. Ain't nothin' but cheap parlor tricks." Colt smiled as he turned to look at the stage, trying to judge how long it would be until the act began.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik gave Dead Head a terse nod and left the haunted house, hands in his pockets and fuming. He was still angry, and it slowly dawned on him that he wasn't even sure why. Marcus had been out of line, but he hadn't done any legitimate damage and, admittedly, a real life zombie was enough to throw most people off their game. It wasn't like Erik and Dead Head were best friends or anything, either; he'd only ever run into the ghoul once before. There hadn't even been any real loss to his secret identity. It wasn't like Dead Head could look 'Jack' up in the phone book, nor did the young man expect the zombie was likely to act upon knowing what he looked like out of costume at all. As far as Marcus knew, he was just some random guy who kept strange company... and was a bit of an overreacting jerk. Joy, they had something in common.

He walked through the carnival, stepping around the crowd using his energy sense, not really watching where he was going, and for a moment he determined that he must be upset because he hadn't been prepared to deal with super human stuff tonight. It was supposed to be time to decompress, to get back in touch with being Erik. With a flash of insight, however, he realized that wasn't it at all. He was annoyed because, had he been in costume, he could have gone in sword blazing and started a brawl himself. His body was tense like that of an athlete who had deviated from their workout schedule. He wanted to run, to jump, to fight. He wanted to be Jack of all Blades, not a nameless carnival-goer. Still mulling over the implications of his revelation, Erik let the flow of the crowd take him towards the fire-eating performance.

Kissing Booth

"Name's Maxie, ma'am. I ain't got long at all afore my show starts and I was hopin' to give a little to charity. I know it seems awful rude to jump the line, but I'm about to do some pretty dangerous fire stunts, liable to get myself burned up, and I don't see no better way to go out then getting a kiss from you afore I burn alive. You wouldn't deny a potentially fated man's last request would ya?"

At first Grim was very annoyed by the pushy bald newcomer, but then he started his goofy Southern-fried spiel and won her over. Bowing her head in false modesty, she snapped open a ladies' fan (which clearly was not in her hand a second ago) and fluttered her lashes over the top of it while trying on her best ‘belle of the ball’ accent.

“Oh mah goodness, a gentleman caller who’s come into good fortune! What have ah done to deserve this honor, kind sir?â€Â

With a wink and a flourish, she snaps the fan closed and makes it disappear between her closed hands, then returns to her regularly scheduled Jersey Shore accent, all business.

“So, a hundred bucks, huh? I guess someone’s looking for seven minutes in heaven.†Dropping the bill into her jar, she does a few neck stretches, cracks her knuckles and gives herself two quick blasts of cinnamon Binaca.

“Alright, c’mere buckaroo, let’s give you your money’s worth.†Suddenly she stands up behind the booth, growing at least a foot taller in the process, grabs Maxie by the back of the head and pulls him in for a wet one.:o

Maxie was still registering the switch between catty southern belle to jersey neighborhood girl when the petite and pretty young thing simply grew a foot and grabbed Max, laying a sensual kiss that burnt his surprise and misgivings into ash in his mind. Maxie would have smiled, given the chance, but being denied the opportunity instead kissed back, hard. Moving around the country his whole life, Maxie had learned quite a few things from quite a few girls, so he laid down his best tricks while simultaneously using his control of fire to raise the temperature in thier mouths a few degrees. It never hurts to make women think there is a little symbolic fire between their lips, even if he did use the properties of actual fire.

Pulling away before things seemed to get a little obscene, Maxie let out a shaky breath. "Well now, that was one kiss worth a hunnerd bucks, that's fer damned sure. Liable to burn me up inside afore I got the chance to do in on stage missy." Maxie winked then set down another hundred, turning to walk off.

"There's an extra bill for the cause, I think yer worth that. Come see the show if'n ya git a chance doll. If'n not, my trailer's on the west side of the park with the Menagerie. I'd be obliged to return the generous favor with dinner. I'd love to stay and keep payin for yer company but I got a show to do, mah boss'll have my ass if I don't give the crowd it's due. Remember my offer!" Without waiting for a rejection or affirmation, Maxie ran off back to the stage.

Between the Fun House and the Kissing Booth

"Come one, come all to Deedra's Traveling Fun House!" Dead Head cried as he moved through the park. "Chills and thrills, the likes of which you've never seen! Be warned, this is not for the faint of heart! Deedra's Traveling Fun House -- it's a scream!"

Yeah, he was supposed to be on his 15 minute break, but he doubted anyone would say anything about his free advertising. Plus, it made him easier to accept by the crowds -- seeing a zombie in a carnival would still draw screams and shrieks, and some still did when they saw him, but this way, they'd think he was just a guy in make-up.

Really, really good make-up.

He paused when he first caught glimpse of the Kissing Booth. That weren't there earlier, was it? And- wait... Grim? Why... yeah, it is Grim, that gal I met earlier this week. Oh-ho-ho! Well, I might as well- his hands went to his pockets, and pulled out the usual nothing, dangit, that's right, they're not payin' me 'till the end of the day. Well, maybe tomorrow....

He continued on towards where the fire eater was scheduled to perform, "Come one, come all to Deedra's Traveling Fun House!"

Carnival Center

Carnival Center

He turned his attention back to the girls. "So, what brings a group'a pretty ladies like yourselves ta this neck'a the woods? Here fer the show?" Colt jerked his thumb towards the stage that had been set up for the fire swallowing act. "If'n ya ask me, things like that're a load'a wash. Ain't nothin' but cheap parlor tricks." Colt smiled as he turned to look at the stage, trying to judge how long it would be until the act began.

With the young man who had created the little scene by not looking where he had been going left, Summer and Dawn seemed to get a good look at the cowboy that had interceded. When they did, their faces lit up some with recognition. “Oh my gosh, your that new hero in town. . . Colt right?†Summer asked.

Megan glanced over at her two younger friends and then back at Colt, acting as if a faint recognition had just come to her as well. “Oh yeah, I’ve read a bit about you. Sorry I didn’t recognize you sooner, but I don’t always keep up on current events much anymore.†She pointed to the front of her sweatshirt, with the word “YALE†across the front. “Tend to be studying a lot of the time.â€Â

“But anyway, I’m from here, my parents live in North Bay. I am back in town for a few days to help my friends here with some things for the cheerleading squad at my old high school.â€Â

“Yeah, Megan was always a great choreographer for dance routines.†Dawn chirped in. “So when we need a bit of help we gave her a call.â€Â

Megan smiled before she continued. “Yeah, so as I decided to stay in town all weekend, we decided to come check out the carnival.â€Â

Carnival Center

With the young man who had created the little scene by not looking where he had been going left, Summer and Dawn seemed to get a good look at the cowboy that had interceded. When they did, their faces lit up some with recognition. “Oh my gosh, your that new hero in town. . . Colt right?†Summer asked.

"That's right, little lady." Colt took his hat of and gave a small bow. "At yer service."

Megan glanced over at her two younger friends and then back at Colt, acting as if a faint recognition had just come to her as well. “Oh yeah, I’ve read a bit about you. Sorry I didn’t recognize you sooner, but I don’t always keep up on current events much anymore.†She pointed to the front of her sweatshirt, with the word “YALE†across the front. “Tend to be studying a lot of the time.â€Â

“But anyway, I’m from here, my parents live in North Bay. I am back in town for a few days to help my friends here with some things for the cheerleading squad at my old high school.â€Â

“Yeah, Megan was always a great choreographer for dance routines.†Dawn chirped in. “So when we need a bit of help we gave her a call.â€Â

Megan smiled before she continued. “Yeah, so as I decided to stay in town all weekend, we decided to come check out the carnival.â€Â

"Well, don't reckon I know anything 'bout Yale, Colt said, replacing his hat back on his head. "But I should'a known a pretty little thing like you'd be a cheer leader. They certainly had those where I come from." He said, smiling.

Yuki was in a state of limbo here. On the onehand, she kind of liked being out of the spotlight. She could've walked away and avoided any sort of unneeded troubles.

On the other hand, there was something about being ignored that was crawling under her skin like those scarab things in that mummy movie. She hated the feeling and that gave her pause while she mindlessly carressed her rib area...

"People like you make me sick, you miserable insect..."

"Look at you, jumping around talking like a clown, and why? To insult me? To get a cheap laugfh from onlookers who just happen to come along? And you dare to call 'ME' someone who profit off my own powers? Hypocrite. At least I'm brave enough to know that I need attention. You're in denial that you NEED your powers to live life. That's why you're behind a mask..."

As Sandstone's words returned to Yuki, the thought came to her head... was she right? As Plain Jane Yuki, she was practically ignored... as Tarrantul;a, she was ogled. Okay, not ogled, but she gets alot more attention IN costume then out.

The Purpose of Tarantula was to hide from the illuminati while helping people... but what if Yuki was getting addeicted? What if there truly was no life beyond Tarantula?

All that would be left... was a weapon. A created one.

Megan just smiled as Colt indicated he did not know anything abut Yale and then went on to focus on her having been a cheerleader. She was rather accustomed to comments about her looks, and Colt’s pretty much fell in the middle of the scale. “Well, was a cheerleader.†She replied. “I didn’t try out for the team at my university. Wasn’t sure I would have time for that given how demanding classes can be.â€Â

She then looked over at the girl who had pulled her out of the way of the inattentive young man and had now been standing to the side rather quite. “You okay?†She asked, remembering the girl had seemed to be a bit wobbly when she had gotten up (and wondering how much of that was real or faked, given how quickly the girl had moved).

Carnival Center

“Well, was a cheerleader.â€Â

"Reckon I can't say ya lost what it takes." Colt smiled, as he thought of Megan leading a cheer squad. "I'll have ta stop by and see the show ya put tagether fer these girls. I'm still tryin ta get around ta seein everythin' this city has ta offer, y'see."

Suddenly, colt noticed Yuki clutching her side. "Woah there, little lady. Reckon that spill must'a been nastier than I thought! Ya'd better have that looked at." Colt approached Yuki and offered his arm for her to lean on. He didn't impose, he simply made it available. "Reckon we outta see if'n we can't find you a doctor."

Yuki was indeed a hypocrite. Now attention was on her and her first instrinct was to run.

She hated Doctors. They had the habiot to prod your body with needles, stuff you into vats of slimt materials, force you to swallow foul tasiting pills and liquids...

The thoughts of the past, her childhoo9d, brought an absolute terror to Yuki and it was quite visable in her eyes despite Colt's careful attempt at being inobtrusive. Yuki stood up straight, ignoring the pain in her ribs (her phobia gave her a second wind), and waved off the cowboys.

"No doctor... I'm fine."

It was strange. Even for those around her who didn't know her too well, the change in voice tone and tenseness was evident. The only person oblivious to the change was Yuki herself, who snapped back to her usual self after taking a few measured steps away from the cowboy. "...have to stand up on your own two feet, you know?"

Yuki smiled and nodded her head. "Just glad nobody was seriously hurt. Can't take that for granted, you know?"

At long last the kiss ended, a thin wisp of steam trailing from Grim's lips; at last she opened her eyes and shook her head clear.

"Wow. Wow wow wow."

Fanning herself, she dropped back into her seat, collapsing back to her normal height as she did so; after a few stunned moments of silence, she turned to look at the crowd, several of whom looked quite jealous.

"Did that really happen? Did he invite me out to dinner?"

Everyone nodded in unison.

"Huh. Wow. Okay, sorry for the delay of game, folks, but it's all about customer satisfaction here at Grimalkin's Kissing Booth. Who's next? Yessir, how can I help you?"

Soon a powerful looking red-head approached the booth; if this guy wasn't a direct descendant of Brian Boru (a legendary Irish king she'd come upon in her Celtic mythology studies), Grim would be stunned. She gave him a warm smile.

"Welcome, friend! The doctor is in."

Menagerie Stage

Maxie ran up onto the stage, just as Bertram was making a few apologies for his lateness. He took a small bow, flashing a smile, but the crowd seemed unimpressed. Just wait, folks, you'll get yer money's worth. Maxie thought as he slipped into his flame retardent suit. The suit was form fitting, black with orange and red flames. Maxie had it made special so he didn't have to wear the ridiculous fire suit the Menagerie had before, an ugly, baggy silver thing with a ridiculous hood that was fashioned from a welder's mask. After donning his equipment, Max grabbed the other headset, put it on and spoke into the mic attached.

"Sorry for the wait ladies and gentleman, had to see a man about a burning dog." To this, there was only scattered laughter, but Max didn't let that slow him down.

Bertram turned to Max and whispered in his ear, "Boy, where'd you go? And don't tell me it'll never happen again cuz I'm tired of hearing that." Bertram actually almost looked angry.

"Don't worry yerself none, Bertram. I just had to stoke the fires, so to speak." Max offered his most apologetic smile, which happened to look way too much like his mischevious smile, at least to Bertram.

"Well, are you ready, boy?" Bertram asked?

"Yes, sir." Max replied, and ready he was. These people were going to see a show like no other.

As Erik reached the edge of the crowd gathered for the fire-eating display, he spotted Ellie and her date, who walked over to greet him. The younger Espadas carried a large, plush rabbit made of pink and purple fabrics. Andrew moved to let go of Ellie's hand when he recognized her brother, but she continued to grip his, giving the nervous young man a reassuring look. Sparing his feelings, Erik pretended not to notice.

"So, won the lady a prize, eh, slugger?" he grinned, slapping Andrew on the shoulder.

"Uh, actually, she won that herself. I'm... not so good with the..." the high-schooler vaguely mimed playing skee ball.

Ellie interjected, saying, "We decided to come and check out the fire-breather. This guy's supposed to be amazing, maybe even a meta." She gave her brother a significant glance, and Erik raised an eyebrow. His extra sense would certainly make him aware if that was the case once the show started; energy created and manipulated using superpowers always had a noticeably different... texture than its mundane counterpart.

Andrew gave a soft snort. "C'mon, like anyone with powers would be hanging out at a place like this.

Menagerie Stage

Max approached the front of the stage after doing a few needless neck stretches. He had done this act hundreds of times... though the finale he had planned was new... everyone would be surprised by it, but still, it wouldn't be all that challenging still.

"Ladies and Gentleman, My name is Maxie Napalm, and this morose gentleman with me is Bertram. We've toured the entire country to bring all of you a simple phrase: 'Mind over Matter'. Thoughout history, and in many different cultures, this has been demonstrated, but never to the extent with which I plan to demonstrate it today! Prepare yourselves, Ladies and Gentleman," At this point, Max picked up a small fire stick, unlit, "for we are about to Fire it up!"

After screaming the last three words, Max put the fire stick in his mouth, then took it out, showing it now to be on fire before releasing an angry red cone of flame, at least 30 feet into the air from his mouth, sending a blast of heat over the crowd that pressed against their chests as a song blared over the speakers.

Carnival Center

"Reckon I can't say ya lost what it takes." Colt smiled, as he thought of Megan leading a cheer squad. "I'll have ta stop by and see the show ya put tagether fer these girls. I'm still tryin ta get around ta seein everythin' this city has ta offer, y'see."

Megan gave Colt an appreciative smile for the compliment. Summer and Dawn brightened at the thought of a superhero wanting to come to see one of their squads performances.

“Wow, that would be awesome.†Summer replied.

“Our next game is next Friday, at Aston High.†Dawn added.

Suddenly, colt noticed Yuki clutching her side. "Woah there, little lady. Reckon that spill must'a been nastier than I thought! Ya'd better have that looked at." Colt approached Yuki and offered his arm for her to lean on. He didn't impose, he simply made it available. "Reckon we outta see if'n we can't find you a doctor."

Megan also focused back on the other girl.

Yuki stood up straight, ignoring the pain in her ribs (her phobia gave her a second wind), and waved off the cowboys.

"No doctor... I'm fine."

It was strange. Even for those around her who didn't know her too well, the change in voice tone and tenseness was evident. The only person oblivious to the change was Yuki herself, who snapped back to her usual self after taking a few measured steps away from the cowboy. "...have to stand up on your own two feet, you know?"

Yuki smiled and nodded her head. "Just glad nobody was seriously hurt. Can't take that for granted, you know?"

Megan wondered a bit about the girl’s strange reaction, but figured it really was not any of her concern, after all, plenty of people did not like going to doctors for a variety of reasons. The girl did not seem badly hurt, so making a big issue out of things did not seem necessary.

“Yeah, you never can.†The blonde girl just replied in agreement.

“Well,†she then added, speaking up a bit and addressing both Yuki and Colt. “We were heading over towards the west side of the park for that show the announcer talked about. Hopefully we can still make it.â€Â

Menagerie Stage

Tempest had taken a spot far in the back so as not to draw attention away from the stage. He still held the earth close to his core, the humans seemed to notice him less when he was not shifting elements. Furthermore, the humans did not seem to be afraid of the elements of wood and earth. Tempest surmised that was due to the fact that the two of them were the most stable of elements which lended an aspect of stability to Tempest's appearance.

He was not waiting long before the fire-eater carnival human appeared on the stage. Tempest had heard rumors that the carnival humans tended to use what humans referred to as "tricks of the eye" a form of misdirection where humans would observe one set of circumstances where another set of circumstances enabled the event to occur and remain unobserved. It was an interesting skill for sure. Tempest paid close attention to the fire-eater carnival human's movements to ascertain if his own eyes would be tricked. They indeed were. I must endeavor to converse with this fire-eater carnival human.

From the Kissing Booth to the Carnival Center

"Come one, come all to Deedra's Traveling Fun House!" Dead Head continued to cry as he moved through the park, slowly but surely towards the fire eater. "Chills and thrills, the likes of which you've never seen! Be warned, this is not for the faint of heart! Deedra's Traveling Fun House -- we're dying to put on a show for you!"

He paused at the gaggle of folks around Colt, Megan, and Yuki. "Whoah, y'all okay here?"

Carnival Center

Like everyone else, Colt had his suspicions about the zombie. Real? Not real? Did it matter? Unlike most others that saw Dead Head, Colt's reaction was a little more subdued. Then, maybe he was just getting used to seeing and accepting things he did not understand.

"Think so, partner. These lov'ly ladies we're just leavin' ta watch the show. An' I was 'bout ta find some place that don't involve bad special effects." Colt said as he watched the girls make their way off towards the stage.

Colt smiled at the zombie. Not sure if I really want to know exactly how good that costume is... he thought to himself.

"Anyways, it was nice meatin' ya. Like the costume." Colt extended a hand for a shake, and afterwards, made his way off towards the direction dead head had come from.

Carnival Center

Thank you, Gods of Slapstick.

The zombie carnival hawker took the cowboy's offered hand to shake... and the zombie's hand came off in the cowboy's!

"Hey!" he said with obviously faked indignation, "I need that!"

Colt noted that the hand was either a very, very good fake... or this really was some sort of dead man walking before him.

Colt simply regarded the disembodied hand with a strange expression. The expression hardened, and he returned the zombie's hand. "I've been in this city fer a few weeks. Ain't a long time. But one thing I've learned is ya ain't supposed ta ask questions when weird things happen. Ain't gonna make no bad jokes 'bout yer hand, neither. That just ain't right."

Colt smiled at the zombie. "Anyways, I aim ta see the rest'a the grounds. Shows like this don't do nothin' fer me. Y'all enjoy yerself." And with that, Colt took his leave to explore the rest of the grounds.

Yuki had no idea about this 'announcement'. Must've been made when she was in the Hedge maze.

"Announcement?" She asked truthfully, willing her self to not hold her sore ribs so gingerly. They really were okay, she just needed to get her mind off the slight burning sensation and the throbbing. Her mom told her that since nothing was broken, she could move about as long as she did nothing streanuous.

So much for that advice...

From the Kissing Booth to the Carnival Center

He paused at the gaggle of folks around Colt, Megan, and Yuki. "Whoah, y'all okay here?"

Megan and her friends looked over at the new arrival, each showing slight surprise (and a bit of revulsion) at what appeared to be a VERY good zombie costume.

Megan recovered first, replying, “yeah, we’re fine. Thanks for asking.â€Â

Yuki had no idea about this 'announcement'. Must've been made when she was in the Hedge maze.

"Announcement?" She asked truthfully, willing her self to not hold her sore ribs so gingerly.

Megan focused back on the other girl. “Yeah, some performance by a fire eater or something. Want to come along?†She asked as she started off in the direction of the show.

Carnival Center, headed towards Menagerie Stage

"The fire-eater?," the Zombie-Carnie repeated as he took his hand back and stuck it down his jacket sleeve. "Why, I was headed that way myself!"

The Zombie-Carnie followed Megan and the others towards the Menagerie Stage. A moment later he pulled both sleeves of his leather jacket about halfway up his forearm, and showed his hands this way and that, revealing they were both firmly attached... and that his makeup did not end at the hands, it went at least all the way up his arms.

"Are you sure you're okay, miss?," the gregarious Zombie-Carnie asked Yuki, appearing truly concerned... which meant his make-up job was really good, to be able to still convey emotion like that. "There are a few EMTs around that could help, if you need. The safety of our patrons is a prime concern... well, at least, that's what I was told, when I started here a few days ago."

Erik took an involuntary half-step back as the fire eater released a massive gout of flame. His energy awareness made it clear, this 'Maxie Napalm', though Erik didn't believe for a moment that that was his real name, was certainly super human. Jack's palm practically itched to draw the fire into a sword.

The young man blinked. He'd just thought of himself as 'Jack' instead of 'Erik'. He rubbed the back of his head ruefully. This little identity crisis is getting a little out of hand, he thought to himself. He definitely needed to spend more time without the mask and wig.

As the performance continued to light up the area, Erik spotted Dead Head approaching accompanied by a sizable group of young women. He shook his head in disbelief, muttering, "The guy's dead and he sees more play than me. That's just messed up."