(IC) School Daze

alderwitch

Veronica

"A beach trip sounds like a great idea."  Veronica replied in response to Selena’s suggestion.  "I have often wanted to give surfing a try."  When the other girl suddenly stopped herself to clarify about Veronica's statement about translating hieroglyphics, Veronica gave a small grin.  "Yes, during my first visit to Eygpt, I watched my mother working with some other experts on translating some of the writings on the walls of a newly discovered tome we were working at.  Been an interest of mine ever since."

When Corinne spoke up about her father, Veronica looked over at the older teen and gave a small nod.  "Asad?  Yes, I have certainly heard of him."  She responded.  "I suppose it should not be a surprise that you are here then."

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kam quickly agreed, "Yes, the beach would be wonderful."  he answered honestly as in a landlocked nation even a prince rarely got to see the sea.  "And I'll have to look into the forest you spoke of."  he paused trying to recall his studies of the region prior to arrival, "That would be Wharton?"  he clarified quietly.

He offered a small laugh at Janus discussion of her learning to drive, "Well one imagines the chance of activating the ejector seat rather than the turn indicator alone would cause some worry."  he joked readily.  At Corriens explanation of her duties and busy schedule he nodded, "Well I think we'd all benefit from your expertise however."  he smiled a quick conspiratorial grin, "I'd not tell if you reclaimed your rare free time." the name of her father did raise his attention though he downplayed it slightly, "I have heard of him yes."  he cautiously and as neutrally as possible.  Asad did not have the most sterling of reputations after all, "I may be misremembering as it has been some time since I've seen him on television or print but I must say from recollection I can't make out the resemblance."

Micah frowns thoughtfully at the name "Asad".

"He's, like, a big-time rich business guy, right?"

That is a technically true statement.

"Hey, I was wondering, is there, like, a shop class or auto class here? Something that would let me work on a car or something? Not, like, full-time-job, just kill a few hours now and again. Keep my hands busy."

No mention of his guitar. That's odd. 

"I'll check the weather but I think we've got one or two more good weekends left before the cold, heartless specter of winter shows up," she said, glad the idea of one last beach trip had caught on.

At Micah's question about a shop she nodded, "The school has wood, metal, and car shops.  I really do enjoy the car shop, sometimes they let me juggle the broken engines or let me lift one of the cars for endurance training."

Janus nodded their head in agreement, "Yes, though I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting your father. I do know that he and Aunt Rachel sometimes attend the same fundraisers." Janus replied, their manner friendly to Corrine although each loud slurp of food did get a slight twitch of the teenager's eyebrow. They nodded their head towards the workshop in question at Micah's query. Janus had gotten at least the basic layout from earlier in the summer. "There are some students who's special talents lie in creation of various machina and there's the facilities to do just that. I imagine you'll have no trouble finding things to tinker with."

Janus nodded though at the debating of a trip, "Though I think the beach will be more bonfire and star gazing than much swimming this time of year - at least if one still feels the cold." That was probably certainly possible in the local student body, "Still, it sounds entertaining."

Corinne finishes slurping her smoothie, and looks down at it, and then the ground, before she squeezes the plastic in her hand, crushing it.  A billowing cloud of water vapor steamed around her fist, before she relaxed and let it drop.  

"I guess, I don't know him much.  The whole father-daughter thing was found out... um, March of last year, so, I guess et tu Corinne."  She laughed a little bit and shrugged again, before hefting her board up, and spun it the edge of it on her palm.  "Yeah, Wharton's nice.  Could probably do a thing in the Pine Barrens for Halloween, depends on if Mrs. Summers is feeling draconian.  The water isn't too bad yet, and that's what wet suits are for, I mean Gulf stream and all that."

Her feet skidded apart as she worked to balance the board in her palm, then stopped, and smiled slyly at Kam, confidence showed, and whatever flush was across her features abated.  "Hm, I mean, I am getting into Julliard's conservatory next year, so I think I've traded my free time for what I want."  Then she stepped back to let the board fall and be caught without smacking anyone.  

Veronica

"Or a dry suit, if it is particularly cold."  Veronica replied as Corinne mentioned the use of wet suits if the water was a bit too cold.  "Though, one of those might be a bit more difficult to try to surf in."

The teenage Danger gave Corinne a sympathetic look when the older teen talked about her difficult relationship with the father she barely knew, but that vanished when Corinne mentioned her post-graduation plans.  "The Julliard?  That's fantastic."  She replied with an impressed look.  "You clearly have put in some hard work.  I can understand why you have such a hectic schedule."

"I've, uh, never been to the beach, really. Couldn't ever afford it, even before...yeah. It's...it's easier now, for me, I guess. But I haven't really thought of it yet. Is the beach here any good, or do we have to go somewhere else?"

The poor boy's barely seen the ocean in his life, after all. He gave Selena a slightly pained sideways glance at the mention of engine-juggling.

"I hope they're completely busted ones. That'd be pure heck on the pistons, never mind everything else. Glad there's a shop, though."

He gave Corinne a smile and a nod.

"Julliard is pretty cool. Congratulations!"

Smiling agreement with Janus Kam nodded, "Yes I for one am not accustomed to the cooler climate."  he laughed lightly with a sheepish shrug.  "The beaches of Freedom are fairly famous."  he'd note in reply to Micah, "Though the Atlantic tends to run cooler overall."  he added before looking to Corrine with genuine appreciation at the feat.  "No small task for even one without so impacted a schedule."  he praised honestly.  "I lack such devotion."  he admitted, "But I do well enough to enjoy myself."  he admitted readily.

"I'd assume stripped blocks rather than assembled power plants."  the Dakanan suggested at the engine juggling, "A good size American V8 would likely even handle a drop or two if not too fatigued."  he paused having perhaps derailed a bit and shrugged, "Erm so I'd imagine."

"What's Juliard?" Janus asked, directing the question more towards their cousin though certainly open to anyone. Janus had gotten a good grasp on Prime on top of a good base from having taken vacations here just about every few months. That, however, could only provide so much to a non-native. Janus wasn't embarrassed about the lack. It was bound to happen and as it clearly seemed to be something (a place? a school?) that everyone knew as a reference, it seemed worth learning. Janus offered Corrine a disarming smile, "I am sure its a significant accomplishment. I'm not from..." Janus made a vague gesture to their surroundings which could have meant anything from 'New Jersey' to 'this planet'. It was Claremont after all, "...around here."

Corinne peered at Janus a moment, her head tilting as she examine them.  The scrutiny wasn't intrusive, more like focus finally happened.  "It's okay, I mean, like, I've seen the yearbooks and stuff,  Aliens, interdimensional refugees, royalty, all of that."  Rolling her shoulders as she stepped onto the board, and carefully scooted her feet into position, her right foot leading on the longboard.

"Julliard is one of the most prestigious, if not the most, performing arts institutions in the country.  Specifically the Dance Division.  Well for me."  And then her brows knitted together in focus, and she did a nollie kickflip, kicking the board hard, to get it to pop up and twist under her feet, before she brought herself down, landing a little unsteadily, her weight dipping low, and she had to put a hand back to steady herself.  A short bark of laughter, "Hm."

"The powers thing came by accident."  Slowly pushing herself smoothly, "Anyway... my father has a beach house on the North Shore, I think I can use it, otherwise, just like... going to the regular beach is fine, or if ya want more privacy Lonely Point is generally pretty empty most days.  Either case, it'll be fine, it's a little chilly, but nothing like Eureka this time of year."

"I should probably have specified how I juggle them," Selena explained, "My power is magnetic control.  My first couple years here have been focused largely on keeping my powers under control, I'd rather not get into how many electronics I accidentally bricked in my first month here.  This summer I've been focusing largely on weight increases and psionic endurance.  With normal classes starting back up soon, control and precision will probably be major focal points as well."

Nodding at Corrine she added to the chorus of congratulations, "Grats, I know you've been working your butt off to get in."

"You're probably right Kam, still, I'll probably bring my board along with snacks.  When the time comes, anyone want to come along and help sell this idea to Mrs. Summers so we can get the school's shuttle?"

Edited by Azuth65

Micah nods and loses the furrowed brow as Selena explains her juggling.

"Oh, okay, that seems less damaging. Hm. Probably wouldn't want to plug it in right away. I wonder..."

He shakes his head. All the talk of beaches and swimming and surfing has his head almost spinning. 

"I...uh, that sounds great, but I don't have a swimsuit. I...never learned how to swim."

For a split second the air itself felt warmer, then Micah's lips thinned as he grit his teeth behind them, and everything was normal again. Probably just a trick of the wind and sun. 

Veronica

"Well, I guess where we want to go depends on what beaches have the better surf."  Veronica commented when Corrine discussed either using her father’s beach house in North Bay or going over near Lonely Point.  She then looked over toward Selena to see if the older teen had information about the best conditions for surfing in Freedom City.

At Micah's comment about not having a swimsuit or learning how to swim, the teenage Danger looked back his way.  "Well, that is not a problem.  There are other things to do on a trip to the beach than go into the water or surf."  She replied with a smile.  "Trying to learn to swim in heavy surf is probably not a good idea.  If you were interested, I could help you with some lessons in one of the school’s pools.  Once you get a swimsuit of course."

Kam glanced to Janus opening his mouth to explain but was beaten toth e punch by the attendee herself who clearly had the better understanding of the institution regardless.  "It is an academy of the performing arts, music, acting,"  he nodded to Corrine, "Dance."  he elaborated easily.  "Quite prestigious."  he was sure to add not wanting to short sell the achievement inadvertently.  He suppressed a wince at Corrine's trick, knowing her dance ambitions the risks of such behavior showed either great confidence in her ability or a certain foolhardy bravery.  Though she was successful so one hoped the former.

At Micahs admission he glanced skyward for a moment as it felt as if there had been a shift in the wind but he quickly dismissed it turning back to the fellow student, "Well as my instructors back home would say that just means you've not learned any bad habits yet."

Janus nodded their head a bit in agreement with Veronica, also offering since they'd been staying there all summer, "Danger Manor has a stretch of private beach attached to the property. I've been rattling around the house all summer waiting for school to start. I'm certain it would be fine if we used it for a small get together of interested students."

There was probably a zero percent chance that the Headmistress would agree to a student trip to Danger Manor all things considered. The chance of falling through inter dimensional portals alone was extraordinarily high. For Janus, though, it was the family house that they lived in when in this dimension. "Grandfather certainly won't mind."

"Whatever works best for everyone.  I mean, I am generally there there on Sundays, it's like my day off, but it's an easy bus ride.  It's just..."  She trailed off, and she looked towards the gates, and the city out... there...  "Whether you care about people seeing you and stuff, I mean some of us have secret identities, and some of the students can't... pass as normal?"  A moment of insecurity, as to whether she'd look that dreams she had talked about without a bit of effort of her side.  Because she got a 'gift' from her father, and she was surrounded by people who can't conceive it as a problem, or that it could cause problems.  

"Plus any social gathering by us has an increased likelihood of something happening.  Aliens.  Weird dudes in mask externalizing their fetishes.  What the Freedom League calls a normal Tuesday," she drawled, with a practiced, and somewhat elegant roll of her eyes and a fluttering of eyelids.

"I mean, whichever is best for everyone, though private beach seems the best option.  Because Corrine makes an excellent point, it is almost a surprise we haven't had some sort of alien super-weapon drop into the parking lot, start either eating tech or copying our powers before scurrying off to attack the city," Selena commented, her tone conveying that it wasn't too far from experiences she had previously lived through.

After Micah admitted to his lack of swimming skill and gear she nodded, "Yeah, starting with the pool here would be the best plan.  Maybe we can requisition the Doom Room for the training, the pool wasn't heated last I knew but I could be wrong."

Veronica

Veronica gave a nod in agreement with Kam's statement that Micah had not had a chance to learn in bad habits in regard to swimming.  "Kameron is right, better to go into learning something like swimming without having picked up habits from trying to swim on your own."

When Selena mentioned the pool not being heated, Veronica seemed in thought a moment before she responded, "I am pretty sure the school materials mentioned the pool being heated and in use from early Spring though late Fall.  But even so, there is bound to be somewhere with a pool nearby that we could get some access to for lessons if needed."

She then focused back on Micah.  "But of course, it is up to you if you wanted to try to learn to swim or not.  I am happy to help if you wanted, just let me know."

Micah was blushing a bit at all the attention about swimming and beaches and whatnot. After all, there were some rather attractive girls there! But, stiff upper lip or something like that.

"I mean...yeah, I guess. I'd kind of like to get settled first, you know? Get into the basic groove of things here. Unless we can do swim lessons as part of, like, gym class?"

He rolled another thought around for a moment, then spoke again.

"Y'all mentioned a shop with cars to work on and stuff. Is there a class I can get credit with that works in the shop?"

"Ah a wealth of options present themselves then."  Kam replied diplomatically.  He smiled at what he seemed to assume was a jest from Corinne and Selena, "Well one has to liven up events somehow I imagine."  he played along readily.  Micah did not seem entirely comfortable discussing his lack of skills so the Dakanan quickly picked up the other thread of conversation.  "Indeed.  There are electives as well as more specialized courses of study depending on one's talents." he was quick to assure the fellow student in a tone that suggested a section of the student handbook committed to memory.  "Access is also granted on a limited basis for extracurricular interests."  he was quick to add.

He shrugged slightly, "Also metalworking and machining if you had interest in more custom creations."  he paused thoughtfully, "Do you have a vehicle of your own?"  he asked curiously not sure what the Micah might hope to work on, "I understand project automobiles are quite the labor of love."

"Now that is something that I do not fully understand. While I completely enjoy riding my motorcycle; tending its needs is merely a necessary chore. To each their own though. Horses, at least, can return your affection," Janus commented, following Kam's lead to turn the conversation back towards what might be more comfortable footing conversationally. Janus' self deprecating smile added humor to their commentary about the subject at hand, "But then, it took me a good month to learn what all the dials and knobs and displays meant. I fear I have little natural mechanical aptitude. Almost blew myself up replacing the power cell.

Did Janus think that all cars ran on Danger power cells? Probably. 

Corrine, being the school avatar of looking at her classmates as if they sprouted a gibbering second head that spoke just madness.  "Oh... Ahm, Janus?  Most stuff runs on a gas here..."  She tried to be delicate, remembering the rabbit chick who immediately went on the offense when Corrine had pointed to her behavior was weird, but this was a less loaded comment from her, and Janus seemed to have less malice...

"I mean, my dad says he's gonna get me a car, and that upset my father, but my mom stepped in, and she is probably gonna be the one to make that decision... but, there is less of a need here than in L.A., and I'm gonna be in New York soon, so a car isn't that big of a thing..."  She looked back to Micah then, pursing her lips, "I can teach you to swim, I was a junior lifeguard for a couple summers, so I can, y'know, not drown."  She flashed a smile to him, and then included everyone else, "Or... y'know, like everyone else too.  Or limited runs exploring the city.  My free time I generally want out of this place..."  She sort of gestured towards the expensive boarding school they were at.

Micah nodded at Kam's confirmation of his question, then blushed a bit and looked down.

"Ah...no. My cousin, she's the one who dropped me off, we rented a car, and her and her folks and my mom have cars. But I'm just now old enough to drive, and things are tight. I'd love to pull a Johnny Cash with one one day but more likely it's just something to save for, I guess."

He gave Janus a slightly more confident smile.

"Engines make sense to me. Always have. There's...there's not just a logic there, there's a rhythm. It's mostly science, but if you want the best, it's an art, too."

He blinked, then looked a bit intent at the mention of a "power cell".

"Your bike runs on a power cell? Can...can I look at it, one of these days?"