It seemed like this trip was a lesson in how red Haukea's face could get.  At this point, as Sam leaned in close, Haukea almost seemed at the verge of passing out...

Before she started stammering.  "A-ah, um, I don't think- ah, if I could trust yo- her, maybe, um, but I don't, ah, think that would be..."

She muttered in Hawaiian for a few moments, seemingly collecting her thoughts.  "I think I'd want to be friends with y- her.  Her.  Friends with her before we went, ah... further."  The blush rose again, before Haukea continued.  "Know about her, maybe?"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will gives a polite fake cough.

"Or maybe we try not to do that? Frankly, this isn't just a bunch of cat burglars, Sam. These folks are...well. I'm not an expert on this place, but it's not nice."

Will couldn't shake a finger too heavily at romanticized criminal pasts, but still, Sam was laying it on a bit thick.

"If you want to flirt with Haukea yourself, just flirt with her. Either way, I think we're about to land."

Gunnar kept silent, and managed to stifle a chuckle. Haukea's obvious nerves and Sam's playfulness entertained him, but it would be exceedingly rude to laugh. Especially since he had no intention of mocking either girl. Such a flagrant display of attraction and a bold approach to courtship also left him a bit confused. Where he came from, courtship simmered slowly, this 'flirtation' was a bit more than he was used to. However, he said nothing about it. This wasn't his culture, nor his world, and it would not do to impose his beliefs on courtship on them.

That, and the thought of landing in the mechanical abomination distracted him from any romantic thoughts or criticism thereof. Takeoff was bad enough, how bad was landing going to be?

Sam glances back at Will, and eventually her catlike grin recedes to a mere smirk. That's enough toying with the poor girl. For the moment. Though she does spare a sly wink at Haukea's Freudian slip.

However, something does need correcting. "What you mean to say is, they're people, and free to make up their own minds." She doesn't look at will, simply speaking to the cabin as a whole. Her tone is feigned casual, but has an unmistakable edge to it. "Maybe if we remember that, there will be a few less jerks next generation. On both sides."

And with that, she dozes off for the landing, fingers still interlaced with Haukea's.

Haukea's blush receded somewhat as Sam let up on the teasing, although the fact that their fingers were still laced together kept it to a certain level.  "Um.  Sam's right, Will.  We need to be cautious, but, um... well, nothing's going to change if we treat them like monsters."

She looked at him.  "I mean, plenty of villains have become heroes, so why not people from here?  'It's our choices that show who we truly are.'  Right?"

"Well, I um...I'd guess people living a really horrible and oppressive regime wouldn't really be all that able to change their mind, wouldn't they?" Cho pointed out, trying to forget the whole thing with Haukea and Sam, if only because it was probably not her own business, anyway. There was no need to intrude in the lives of others. "I don't think they would want us voicing our opinion while on their soil!"

Will's face shows his frustration.

"I'm not saying we should be punching them all in the face, everyone. I'm just saying that fanciful "star crossed lovers" romance is unlikely to work out as well as it does in movies and television. Like a lot of things."

He pauses for a moment, clearly contemplating something before speaking again.

"My mom and dad got where they are because they love each other, but also because they're good at getting out of trouble. Even still, it wasn't an easy road, and Dad had a lot of...baggage...that Mom had to help him with. And they were just theme villains who were as likely to steal a bunch of VCRs as they were to pants Mayor Moore."

He gave a chuckle at that. He'd seen the pictures. His dad had like an entire album of those. He'd pantsed the guy like six times.He then shook his head.

"My point was, we need to be careful down there."

"Bah! Really?" shouted Cho. "What's the worst that could REALLY happen down there? I mean, beside getting locked up inside a supervillain's cell and torture room." It didn't take her very long to realize that was rather horrific, really. Still, Cho didn't really think anything bad would happen unless they really provoked the people of New Freedom. Of course, she was also trying to put on a brave face as much as she could.

"Beside, do they really want to cause an international incident?"

GM

The plane jerked forward violently, before clearing its descent.  Upon landing not thirty seconds had passed before there was a loud knock on the door.  Headmaster Summers made his way from the pilot's seat and opened the door.  As soon as it opened they were not treated to the biting wisps of arctic air.  With weather controllers and advanced machinery taking the appropriate steps to keep the environment comparable to a warm spring day in Freedom City.

Sown after a woman of East Asian descent in a black jumpsuit came on board with a chipper smile.  Stopping to shake Summers' hand, she'd then turn towards the passenger seats letting the headmaster greet his students.  "Welcome to Roberson Field and the Freest place on Earth.  You may now exit the plane and prepare for inspection."  Looking out the windows of the private jet, the students were soon able to note just how barren the land was.  Aside from a few Lear jets and some solitary small buildings the only thing of note was a giant fist shaped statue.

The airstrip itself wasn't lacking in personnel at the moment.  There were two dozen soldiers armed in completely grey armored form fitting uniforms.  Each with a handgun holstered at their side.  It was easy to suspect that even without a weapon drawn the soldiers were armed.  Metapowers went a long way in New Freedom.   To the point that the micro nation's military was stocked with a wide variety of empowered individuals.

In the distance they could see make out a greyed haired woman in a soldier's uniform discussing something with a balding pudgy man holding a clipboard.  It wasn't easy for a plane, let alone a private one to have an flight plan to New Freedom chartered.  The fact that every so often a stray look went in their direction made it easy to guess what the subject of discussion was.

Edited by HG Morrison

Will tilted his head and raised an eyebrow when Cho tempted fate, but elected not to say anything. Instead he waited until they were done landing to unbuckle, stand up, and go grab his duffel bags for the stay.

He gave Headmaster Summers a nod of respect as the older man spoke, though he maybe grimaced a bit at "inspection".

He also managed not to stop and stare as they walked down the stairs onto the tarmac after the Headmaster.

But still, a giant carved fist? That certainly didn't give hope that this was much of a party place.

Sam drifts back from her nap in short order, and sighs. With deft hands, her tools and iPod slip into a hidden nook in her bag, where their sure-to-be delightful and hospitable hosts will never find it. She's certainly not about to trust them with her stuff. They try it, and she's going to demonstrate exactly where they can shove that giant fist of theirs.

But, there's no need to get worked up. Just stay calm. Nonchalant. Fly casual... er... stand casual. Oh, and let go of Haukea's hand. That really is enough teasing for the moment. Maybe. Unless the opportunity arises where it looks fun again. But what are the odds of that happening more than ten times today?

Haukea looks around the airstrip, slightly tense.  There didn't look to be any trouble... yet.  Hopefully, there wouldn't be any, everything would go completely fine, and they'd be able to make a good showing?

Maybe pigs would lift off the ground and fly.  But then again, with all the wierd powers out there, Haukea wasn't inclined to bet against the possibility that pigs had, in fact, flown.  Or would, at some point, fly.  

And she was getting off track again, needed to keep on watch.  Or just have a look around.  Marvel at how they kept it warm...ish... in Antarctica.  

How did they do that, anyway?

"Well that's a...aah...uuh...lovely place? If you're into Brutalism-style architecture." she blurted out, unsure of how exactly to comment. To her, the place seemed incredibly dull mixed with an unhealthy dose of oppressiveand creepy with a side order of just flat out ugly. The big fist was just the cherry on top of the ugly cake.

As for the search and inspection, well, she had nothing to hide anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Will was doing his level best to keep still in the "line up" outside of the aircraft. He wasn't in costume, he wasn't on the move, and as a "precautionary polite measure" he was trying to avoid using any of his abilities, even his mental communications net, without more express permission. 

Part of him was a bit worried about the Headmaster. Certainly the man was in great shape overall and incredible shape for a man his age. Still, this was hostile territory, probably one of the prime examples of it. 

Mostly he was just anxious to do something already. The eternal curse of speedsters everywhere, really; a permanent sense of energy and urgency.

GM

Cho was flashed a dirty look by their greeter.  Apparently offended by the outburst.  Soon after the smile was once again plastered upon her face.  But her eyes lingered on the muscular girl.  The guards searched the luggage thoroughly after the students were led off the craft.  Not a single centimeter was spared in execution.

However, their thorough inspection did not extend to patting down the teenagers.  A woman instead looked down the female students.  And a man sniffed the male ones.  Each coming back satisfied with their findings.  If the woman had somehow discovered Sam's well hidden iPod she never showed a sign of it.  The students were then waved down and led into three separate jeeps.

The drive off the airfield didn't prove to be more enjoyable to anyone expecting any proper sightseeing.  Even when they descended into the cloaked volcano.  Which despite being inert, was still a danger risk all on its own.  Descending into its cavernous depths they were treated to the sight of a sprawling city.  It was packed for sure.  With every building directly attached to one another.  Every inch of space well used.  

In the center of it all.  Two statues dedicated to the Harpers.  The drive eventually stopped in front of a massive estate.  The layout not too dissimilar from a church without a cross.  Despite its massive appearance there was no indication as to what the building's purpose was.  Only when led inside did it become apparent.  This was the military academy in which the youths were trained to become the future mercenaries that were the lifeblood of New Freedom.

They passed through various students in the corridors.  Everything inside the building was colored grey.  From the walls to the seats, it was a lesson in drab.  The ballroom that they were led to was no different.  A large congregation of students and various adults with a level of political pull clapped upon their entrance.  In the center of it all an elderly white haired woman in a long white dress. Armored greaves and gloves slipping out from beneath the confines of the dress.   

"Greetings, Students of Claremont!"  She bellowed out.  "I am Headmistress Payne, and it brings this academy great joy to welcome you to our hallowed halls."  'Coach' not too subtly rolled his eyes at the greeting.

Will noticed their "guide" giving Cho a glare, and barely resisted the urge to groan and shake his head. It wasn't that he didn't agree in principle with the sentiment she had voiced; it was that he was aware these were Not Nice People, and that they had to be careful. It seemed like he was the only kid on this plane who thought this way. Probably because of how uptight his parents had been about the trip. He was a rebellious enough teen that he'd dug his heels in and insisted he should go, that he'd be okay, that there would be adults present, and so forth. But he was smart and perceptive enough to discern his parents didn't get like that for no reason. More so even than his slight natural caution around officers of the law, Will was cautious in this place.

Which was why he unconsciously leaned back a bit when some dude just came up and sniffed him. His nerves meant he couldn't help his mumble.

"What's he so uptight about? I showered this morning and everything. Didn't even go for the Axe spray."

Not that he normally did anyways, but still. 

He couldn't help the slight bit of awe that sprang onto his face as they moved into a dormant volcano that was apparently now an entire city! It was harsh, and stark, and kind of scary, but it was also pretty cool to a teenager who'd seen a lot of gee-whiz wow-golly stuff in his life so far. Even the statues, while intimidating, were kind of impressive. Well made and sturdy-looking, if nothing else. 

The building, which turned out to be a harsh military academy, was actually less impressive. The sheer dull coloring made his very subdued outfit (khakis and a polo) feel wildly colorful and over-dressed. 

The Headmistress with the ironic name at least had some personal style in her outfit. Not many folks tried to pull off the armored look these days. For the moment, he just gave a polite not-quite-bow toward the woman, deferring to the Claremont staff with the group as to whether they were supposed to speak or not. 

Okay.  

Volcano city.  That was... kinda impressive.  In the whole dictatorial, not-People's not-Democratic not-Republic of Antarctica way.  Although the leadership of New Freedom wasn't hereditary through bloodlines, so technically it actually was a republic, wasn't it?  Statues, too.  And...

Stronghold was actually a bit disappointed with the actual school.  Compared to everything else, it just seemed drab.  Dull.  Lifeless.  

The Hawaiian girl kept her face fairly impassive, apart from a slight wince at Cho's comments.  Not the time or the place.  And if she'd opened her mouth, she probably would have gone even more unintentionally offensive.  That was to be avoided.  Still, as the Headmistress spoke, Stronghold looked at the teachers- like Will, deferring to them.  

Best option here.  

• 2 weeks later...

Left to her own device, Cho merely grumbled to herself as she proceeded to utterly mentally kick herself in every possible location twice as she realized she came rather close to causing an incident just by opening her mouth. Not exactly up to a good start right there, at the very beginning. 'This is going to be a looooooooooooong trip...' thought the teenager, seriously bummed.

GM

"As we are all exemplars in human advancement, I shall spare you a traditional tour."  Headmistress Payne stretched out her hand The headmistresses gave the Clarmonters a mental tour of the facility and its various buildings.  The central building  in which they were currently inside was the main administrative building. There were two on the West side which functioned as the academic buildings. Various classes ranging from algebra to small unit tactics were held there.  The east side housed a training facility which was designed to better hone one's powers with a fully functioning Doom Room. The remaining building was the main residence hall where the students resided.  

There were some select gaps in the memory tour.  With Headmistress Payne likely choosing to keep some things a matter of privacy.  The intent was clear, the headmistress wanted to show off.  It wasn't a taunt or a threat. But the psychic display did serve a warning all on its own.  With her ease in entering their minds.

"Tomorrow, the competition begins.  For today, you are guests.  Mingle, but don't celebrate too hard. I wouldn't want my students to have too easy of a time. Any wishing to turn in early, Rooms 4C, 5C, 6C in the Bright building, or the student residence as you are now aware, have been reserved for our guests." A bemused expression sitting on the Headmistress' face.

Haukea's mouth opened a bit at the mental tour.  Okay, that... might have been a violations of some sort, and she was definitely a bit nervous about the possibility of... rummaging.  But still.  That was impressive.  And in some ways, it was a lot like Claremont, except more open, and... less comforting.  Blinking for a moment, she spoke up.  "Um... if we did want to mingle, where would most of the students be at the moment?  Just to... maybe chat?"

After all, just because it was a competition, it didn't mean she couldn't... try to be friendly.  A hint of a blush crossed her face as Kit's... suggestions came back to her.  Not thinking about that with the possibly evil psychic.  There's no reason for it to happen and I'm tempting fate now aren't I.

'Well that's sure an unpleasant intrusion.' thought Cho afterward, hoping it was to herself and only to herself, rather than have someone prying inside her mind. She had already caused a small, if not miniature incident and had little intent to cause another. At least not in purpose. 'Next time. Next time you're not getting through!' the teenager thought to herself.

"I'm going to bed already." Cho said to the others. "Well, um, I might." That was of course assuming nothing would happen. Things had an annoyingly uncanny habit of popping up around her. Cho grinned and punched her palm. "I fully intend to win tomorrow!"

Sam is less perturbed than most. She's somewhat used to matters psychic, though most are more polite about it. An important practice, for the health of both subject and psychic. Otherwise, who knows what you might stumble upon?

Like, say, a few particularly conspicuous memories left lying around for intruders to trip around.

So, the redhead rummages about her head and finds a lovely little nugget. A time when she was still back on Dis. Someone had managed to put together a space ship to try and escape. Turns out, the world had a defense for that. The furies. Giant, birdlike monstrosities that bodily drove the ship back to the ground, tore it open, and devoured everyone inside not twenty feet from the hole that was young Samantha's hiding place for the moment. The smell of blood. The terror of that moment, wondering if the furies would come for her, too. All of it is on display in vivid detail, for the headmistress to experience for herself, whether she wants to or not.

Such an unfortunate accident.

• 3 weeks later...

GM

Headmistress Payne made no outward notion of the mild annoyance she had encountered in Sam's mindscape.  No more than a glancing stare between her and the teen.  In a sparse moment, truth be told, her eyes gave way to the machinations behind that devious mind.  She was unfurled and Sam was the cause.

Rather than cause a scene, the Headmistress raised an arm up.  "Do what you like.  Students are all around as you can see.  None shall cause you harm on these grounds.  Not before the competition.  So see to it, that you do not cause harm of your own.  I will retire for the evening."  The military academy students all bowed in unison wishing Headmistress Payne a pleasant evening.

Leaving the students left behind in what could only be described as an awkward middle school dance atmosphere.  The local students occasionally looking over in the direction of the visiting Claremonters.

Will found himself wishing he wasn't on the trip all of the sudden. His burning competitive spirit erased that thought, but for a split second the antics of his fellow students brought the thought to his mind.

He pondered his options. For all the distance they'd traveled, the time zone wasn't very different, so jet lag wasn't a huge factor.

So instead, he followed another base need, especially for speedsters.

"I'm starving. Grub time."

With a jaunty, but still friendly, wave to some of the watching natives, he turned and shouldered his bags, heading for the cafeteria in the residence building. He just hoped they had halfway decent food. Certainly more than extruded soy paste or something else drab to go with the building!

Haukea nodded.  "Um.  Yeah, food sounds good to me.  Hope they have some good stuff, right?"

As she walked, she looked around, see who else was around.  Maybe meet up with some of the students from here.  She honestly would like to get to know more people, even if the people she met were from brutally oppressive dictatorships.  

No nation'd ever been composed of purely good or purely evil people, after all, and thinking that was just as stupid as any other form of generalisation.  She'd give the people here a chance.  

Well, if someone wanted to talk to her.  She probably wasn't going to do much walking up to people.  Not her style.