A Doktor Who Makes House Calls?! [IC] [Closed]

"Not yet," Wander said calmly, still hanging onto her soaking wet bat. Aiming it like a javelin, she threw it down with great force at the unconscious monster, skewering it with the Euclidean rigidity of its streamlined shape. It bubbled and hissed the way the others had while hitting the sidewalk, leaving her bat floating on top of the waves. "Now it is. Could you get that for me?" she asked Phantom politely, pointing at her bat.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KC managed to tread water. "Glub. I'll survive. He calmed down, and managed to smile at Erin. "Thanks, though. So we won? We got whatever the hell was inside Dok out?" He looked around, his squamous tentacles floating above the water. "That's alright, Phantom. We just freaked a little. Or at least I did. It's so strange being in the water, despite my namesake. I really ought to get swimming lessons sometime."

Phantom gestured and the bat flew back to Erin's hand. "Yes, the forces that were summoned have been driven back to where they belong, outside this world. The clean up, I will take care of myself."

Once she was certain that there was no imminent drowning, the body of the unconscious mass would be sucked into the void in Phantom's cloak, vanishing along with probably some of the water that it was floating in. "Such as returning this to where it belongs. With these sorts of things, death is never as finite as we might prefer."

Archeville floated above them, looking quite awkward and confused. "There were four others, one at Providence Asylum, three not far from your home."

Am I... am I alone? Did... did whatever that thing do, whatever Taylor's 'spell' do, remove The Other?

"I am, ah," he continued, turning to Phantom and nervously scratching the back of his head, "I am sorry. I am so sorry this happened. I was arrogant and stupid and... and if there is anything I can do... or not do..."

Erin collapsed her bat, still hanging in the air like a scruffed puppy, dripping water from her civilian clothes and looking thoroughly uncomfortable. "Could we maybe discuss this on land?" she suggested, wiping her face with the back of one hand. "I wasn't exactly prepared to come out doing hero work tonight. Avenger's got the baby, by the way," she told Phantom belatedly. "I don't know where they went, but he's safe."

KC stretched, and popped his back, extending his nightmarish wings from his back. "Ah! There we go." He dove down, then leapt from the water. Soon he was in the air next to Erin. "I agree with Erin. I just kind of picked up on the bad mojo that was happening around here, and came to check things out." He shook himself dry like a wet dog, his facial tentacles flapping around.

Phantom made another thoughtful noise and flung her cape open, the shadows below shimmering into the portal to the library. "Yes, I think we can discuss this someplace safer. I know where Avenger went, but thank you for the assurances. Don't worry about dripping on the carpet. It's had worse."

Her hollowly echoing voice gentled, "Viktor, don't be absurd. I should have been there. I keep dangerous things there for a reason but the book sought you out and controlled you. I don't blame you for being the vessel. Now, lets get these children someplace a little less damp."

"The book... sought me?," Archeville repeated, still looking very confused, and shielding himself from the shaking Kid Cthulhu with one raised arm. "That tome was... is... sentient? Sapient? How? Is this... is this a common thing?"

And why did it seek me out? The Other, of course! And now the effects are gone, and Taylor's "banishing spell" took it with them!

"Will there be lasting effects?," he asked in a deeply concerned tone. "Will I be more vulnerable to this sort of thing from now on? Or will surviving it make me more resilient to further instances?"

Archeville let Taylor usher Erin in first before he went in. If something went wrong again, it would be best if she were in a stable position from which she could knock him out again.

Erin lost no time in going through the portal into the library. Even if she was still soaking wet, it was at least warm in there and she could drip all over everything with her feet firmly on the ground. She kept her bat out, holding it loosely in one hand as she kept an eye on the doctor. He seemed normal now, but they were back in the library, and there were tons of books here. Who knew what he might be capable of? At least JJ was away, which was a relief.

KC leapt through the portal. He also kept a wary eye on the Doktor. His eyes glanced across the shelves, and he saw a wealth of handy magical tomes. What he would do for five minutes in here...forget that. He had to keep an eye on the Dok. Although, the others seemed to be very aware of the potential of a relapse. He tried to relax a little. Erin had her bat ready for head-smashing.

Phantom followed through, giving Archeville a thoughtful look as she realized the thick German accent had faded. She had a good ear for accents with her mundane work and focus, even if she did little of that these days.

"Hold still," She instructed the doctor, extending one gloved hand out towards him as she cast her arcane magic. "Hrm, no. There is nothing unusual lingering in you mystically speaking. Well, nothing more unusual than the dissonance your existence generally causes me."

She landed with a thump, her form turning solid as she walked across the floor, the cloak billowing out unnaturally around and behind her without ever dragging on the ground. "Some books are sentient in and of themselves, others are merely conduits for powers. This one, it's a little of both. It would not have chosen just anyone but that which made you appealing, also protects you from the nastier side effects. Were Wander to read it, for example, she would likely be maddened before the spell worked itself to completion."

Archeville's confused look shifted slightly to a hurt one when Phantom mentioned "the dissonance you existence generally causes me"...

What? What did I do? Does she have a problem with my views on magic? She could benefit from a scientific study of her abilities! I- wait... maybe I should tackle that another day. I have caused too much trouble as it is, and they probably want me out of here sooner rather than later.

... but he said nothing.

"Well..." the Doktor eventually said, shaking off to a more neutral expression, "if I am cleared to go, and since I am done with Jack, Junior, I have the feeling it would be best if I just collected my things and left." He bent down and began collecting his instruments and returning them to his little black bag, "do not want to risk me getting snared by another one of your... books, I am sure. Though I will pay for the broken window and any damaged furniture, and the medical bills of anyone injured by those things."

I do not think I like it here. I want to go home. Maybe call Mona.

"And Avenger can send you the bill for beating you and the monsters up," Erin murmured under her breath, then sneezed. She was more than ready to go home herself, preferably to get a shower and some dry clothes on. But she wasn't going to leave till she was sure the danger was past. "So where did JJ go?" she asked Phantom, looking around the disordered library. "I mean, besides with Avenger."

KC stood in the library, trying to think of what to do next. "Do you guys...need help or anything else? I'm more than willing to do...whatever." He felt he was in an awkward situation. There were times when he felt rather outclassed, like a high school freshman trying to hang out with seniors. He matted out his cape, and hoped it wouldn't wrinkle. It was a pain to get it dry-cleaned.

"Viktor, that's really not necessary. Again, I take responsibility. I should have been home for this appointment tonight. I am well aware of just how dangerous some things in here can be but I was... detained. With all you've done for this family, I wouldn't even think of charging you for anything. Besides..." Phantom gestured and the window glass reformed into solid panes once more. "We've had to get used to fixing things around the house. Between Avenger and myself... It's not a problem at all."

She nodded at the doctor and then turned to the teens. "Avenger took the baby out the 'back door'." She said in answer to Erin's question and turned to one of the panels of the wall, gloved fingers searching for the hidden switches to swing the paneling out of the way. With a click, the wall swung back to reveal a portal that opened into black depths broken only by flashes of eldritch light. For those who had just traveled through Phantom's cloak, it was a familiar enough sight.

"And into the Void. It's incredibly safe, but easy to get lost in."

They have a permanent stable interdimensional portal set up here? How?

Upon seeing the portal, Archeville began to reach out, and his mouth began to open.

.... no... no, that can wait for another time. I am tired, and Erin looks as if she would beat me again if I tarry much longer.

He suddenly closed his mouth and lowered his hand, and finished gathering his things. "Yes, well, if you change your mind, you know how to reach me. Good evening, all."

And with that, he walked out the door, taking to the air once he was out of the house and flew back to his home in Hanover.

Kid Cthulhu looked around a little. "It looks like my work here is done. If any of you guys ever need me again, just go to the mayor's office. He should have a big spotlight with an Elder Sign on it. Just contact me there. Peace out, homies." KC then leapt from the window like a suicidal gymnast, and opened his wings mid-fall. They caught the wind, and KC began to flap, looking like some bizarre bird of prey. KC grinned with pleasure. Flying was always fun for him. He was glad to be able to help some of the more powerful heroes of Freedom City. Hopefully he'd be able to talk with the Doktor privately on another occasion.

If anyone wasn't going to get lost in the Void, it was Jack Faretti, mate to the guardian of the Void and all it contained. He smoothly stepped out of the darkness without so much as mussing his hair, holding little Jack Jr. securely in his arms. Wrapped up in a blanket Avenger had secured by ripping off the tablecloth as they went, the little baby was sound asleep. "I think we'd all better go our separate ways," he suggested, his voice a low whisper, "Particularly you, Viktor. How much do I owe you for tonight, Erin?" he asked, reaching neatly into his back pocket.

Erin wiped water off her face, not inclined to give out any freebies tonight, though it would've been her duty to fight the monsters anyway. Avenger had abandoned her, and she'd had to run halfway across town, and then Phantom had dunked her in the ocean, all because nobody in this household could make a regular doctor's office appointment! "Well, it's a hundred for the sitting, then I took out three of the monsters the doctor unleashed, that's another three hundred, plus I delivered a finishing blow to another one, which is probably half. I also knocked out the doctor, but I don't know if you'd count that."

"Just make it an even grand," Taylor suggested as she held her arms out for the sleeping baby, the costume dissipating as her voice dropped to Taylor's normal register. It left her dressed in jeans and a loose sweater. She turned apologetic eyes up to Jack as she cradled their sleeping son, lowering her voice to a whisper as well so as not to disturb Jack Jr. "I'm so sorry I'm late. I got caught up in something unexpected. "

"...here," said Avenger, taking one of his lesser credit cards out of his wallet and handing it to Erin. "There's about a grand in that account, and it won't get wet. Pin is 1895 if you hit a debit machine with it. Take what you need, just tear the account up when you're done." What the hell, it hadn't been his money, he could afford to be generous with it. He shot his wife a look, then said, "We'll talk about this later, honey. I'm just glad you made it back." He put his arm around her, looking down at the baby. "And that we're all together again," he murmured.

Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home.

Archeville set his medical bag down in the foyer when he entered, and headed upstairs to his bedroom; he knew the house's robotic servants would see to the proper storage of his bag. As he went upstairs, e dictated to the air, his every word caught by numerous concealed microphones scattered throughout the house, and his instructions carried out by the advanced computers underneath.

"Computer, access medical records; subject: Jack Faretti Junior. Append: 'sleep cycle irregular due to odd hours of mother, though she continues breast feeding, no substitutes; seems otherwise okay, likely due to brief but intense sessions with mother. Future eye examinations will need to take night vision into account. Babysitter, Erin White, is more than capable of protecting them.' Computer, access hero files; subject: Phantom. Append: 'has stable interdimensional portal in home, accessing what appeared to be the same space she uses as medium for her teleportation. Has been used for evac in case of trouble. Keep in mind for future large-scale evacuations.'"

"Shower, hot," he stated, and the automated systems snapped to attention. By the time he'd peeled off his clothes and draped them over the chair by his desk, steam had filled the bathroom. "Ach, what is it about mental intrusions that always make one feel physically dirty?"

Another project for another day, though one that must be done delicately given the types of subjects that would be involved.

A quick shower later, and he was padding around his bedroom with a towel around his waist and one at his head; automated systems had already removed his clothes for cleaning and pressing. "Call Mona, home," he said to the air, and waited as the concealed speakers played a few rings followed by her answering machine message. "Hi, liebchen, it is me. I know you are still at the art show, and likely quite busy there, but I just wanted to hear your voice. I had a long night, some of it with your 'student,' Erin. Nothing too bad... I hope... but I will tell you all about it tomorrow. We are still on for lunch at Timothy's Bistro, right? Love you!"

I feel better!

The Doktor made a few more preparations for tomorrow's activities, checked on the progress of a few experiments running in his laboratories, and fixed a small dinner. Hours later, with still no word from Mona, he crawled onto the transgenic spider-goat silk sheets of his bed and dozed off.

zzzzzzzzz...

zzzzzzzzz- hunh? What is that... why does it feel like the Sahara Desert in here?

"Computer, was ist die Temperatur? Warum fühlt sich die Luft so trocken? Lichter!"

Computer, what is the temperature? Why is the air so dry? Lights!

Pain flooded in.

YARGH!

"Zu hell! Verdunkeln Sie die Lichter, verdunkeln Sie sie!"

Too bright! Dim the lights, dim them!

The house obeyed, though he still saw spots. He staggered to the bathroom, one hand over his eyes, the other reaching out, groping about in the blinding light to make his way to the sink. A glitch in the home's HVAC and lighting systems, that must be it. Well, that or a very intense heat ray focused on him... no, no, his security systems would-

He reached the sink, and the mirror above it.

"Was ist..."

What is...

His face was not his own. His body was not his own.

"Wie geschah dieses?"

How did this happen?

What- wait... hello?

He flexed his hands, looking at first in disgust at how the fine black scales rippled as he moved, and that talons glinted in the light, but slowly coming to marvel at them. The webbing between the fingers startled him, but a moment's practice and had the reflex for withdrawing and extending it down pat.

Hello? Are you here, you spineless milksop?

He examined his mouth, now half again wider than before, his green lips and gums, and the two rows of teeth, one triangular (like a sharks') and one needle-like (similar to a piranhas).

Is this... a side-effect of that thing attempting to dominate me? Or Phantom's 'spell' attempting to negate its influence?

He checks his eyes, bulging and black, like a doll's, and very sensitive to the light. The little bit of white around the edge was shot through with blue-purple veins.

Yes... she not only countered its influence on me...

He ran both hands through his now-crimson hair, which seemed to wave about with a life of its own.

... she removed the mental blocks and psychological barriers that kept me back!

He looked at his hands again, then to his arms, legs and feet. His limbs had become more slender, almost willowy, but his hands and feet had become broader and distended.

I am free! Free! Frrreeeeee!!!

An inhuman laugh echoed throughout the house, while things in a far realm, vast and alien in intelligence, stirred in their death-slumbers.

~fin~