A Doktor Who Makes House Calls?! [IC] [Closed]

Date: August 18th, 2010. Evening.

Freedom City was no stranger to flying people in its skies. One such figure, carrying a black doctor's bag, was flying east, from the ultra-tech sector of Hanover to the posh Old World neighborhoods of North Bay.

I don't want to go there!
Tough.
They make me uncomfortable enough dealing with them at ArcheTech, but in their own home? Madness!
So you are... afraid?
Whatever you may see there -- it is not fear! Fear is for lesser men... never for Archeville!
Yes, well, whatever it is, get over it, because here we are.

"Jack? Taylor?," Archeville's rich tenor voice called out as he touched down in their front yard. "Sorry I am a bit late; dings got a bit... messy at de laboratory."

Doktor Archeville had been by many times since the birth of Avenger & Phantom's child, in part because he knew how stretched everyone's schedule got to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It had been a quiet night around the Faretti residence, and Erin preferred it that way. She and Jack Jr. had needed to work through a few snags in their early relationship, but once he'd found out that his teeny fangs had no hope of breaking her impervious skin, they'd settled down into a good babysitter-baby rapport. He was a good kid, mostly, even if he sometimes had a hard time settling in to sleep at night. She didn't mind carrying him around the house to put him to sleep, he was sort of warm and cozy and cute in her arms, and it wasn't like she got tired. And so far, there hadn't really been anything to defend him against, so the pile of money they were paying her was just a bonus.

She was passing through the kitchen, which was always disappointingly free of any snack food, when she heard the voice from the yard. She startled, which roused the baby a little, and patted him on the back while she went to peek out the window. It took her a second to recognize the guy as the crazy doctor from the city fights, Mona's boss. Well, he was a good guy, she knew, so probably he wasn't a major threat. Still, she was cautious and kept her body turned to shield the baby as she opened the door. "They had to go out," she told him. "What are you doing here?"

What? What's she doing here?

Erin? Is she... babysitting?

"Oh, hello fraulein," Archeville replied. "Did dey say vhen dey vould return? I haff an appointment mit dem. Vell, more accurately, mit de little bundle in your arms dere." He knelt slightly and waved at the baby.

"Hello, little Jack!" he cooed in a voice several octaves higher. You remember me, ja? I haff come for anozher check-up, to make sure you are growing big und strong!"

I think I'm going to hurl.

But he is so cute!

Erin looked somewhat unconvinced, not closing the door but taking a step back and keeping her body between doctor and infant. "I got the idea it was kind of an emergency, they called me up tonight and asked if I could watch him, then had me take the teleporter out here. Maybe they forgot about the appointment. You want me to call them and see what they want to do?"

"Ach, I knew dis vould happen sooner or later," he said, briefly rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Dis is precisely vhy I volunteered to make house calls for dem -- given our schedules, it is easier for me to come to dem, dan it is for dem to come to me. Vell, marginally easier..."

Bah! Give me the child now, I care not for parental consent!

Well, I do, and I am fairly certain Erin would, too.

"If it vould make you more comfortable to contact dem, und you haff some vay to do so, den by all means, please, call."

She is clearly very protective of him -- likely tied to her PTSD -- so it is best to let her call the shots.

Bah! Let's take the baby and go. I've read her file on the League computer, she's got basic 'super soldier' enhancements, so she can't fly or teleport after us.

Just because she cannot fly or teleport does not mean she could not come after us. Especially given our very public standing. Besides, simply taking the child is called kidnapping, and she would not be the only one after us if I let you do that.

"Okay. Stay there." Erin stepped back from the door and closed it, leaving the good doctor standing in the yard. It was a nice night, she figured, he'd be okay. "It's all right," she told the sleepy Jack Jr. as she hunted up the phone. "Doctors are good guys, most of the time. We just have to make sure that this one is okay before we let him poke at you." She gave the baby a kiss on his fuzzy head, then dialed the phone. "Mr. Faretti? This is Erin. There's a doctor here who wants to look at Jack, and I said I had to ask you."

There'd been a long pause, longer than Erin thought seemed right, but soon Jack answered with "If he's blonde with a cheesy, over-the-top German accent, yes, let him in. Is everything all right over there?" he asked her, sounding oddly wistful. There was something to be said for being home with family, especially under the circumstances. "Do you need me or Taylor to come over?" There was no mention of the two of them being together. "Anyway, yes, Dr. Archeville is a good friend, and a reliable scientist. If you've got any problems you've been tossing around, it's worth asking him while he's there."

"Things are okay here," Erin reported, "the baby had his bottle and is about to fall asleep. And yeah, that's the guy. I guess you don't need to be here or anything, unless you want to ask him questions about the baby or anything. I can write down whatever he says, or you can call him later." She thought it was a little weird that Jack Jr's parents wouldn't be there for his doctor appointments, but it was kind of a weird family. They paid her a lot of money though, and the baby was healthy and happy, so she wasn't going to say anything about it.

"You know...I'll come over," said Jack after another few minutes, sounding grateful for the opportunity. "Just go ahead and let him in, and let him start his exam. Tell him to use the library room; it's got a table he can use, and the shielding there should keep his equipment from interfering with any of the spiritual infrastructures built into the house. I'll be there in a few minutes. Taylor's been away working for the last few days, so it'll probably just be e. Thanks for keeping an eye on the situation for us, Erin."

"Okay, I'll go let him in," Erin agreed. "See you when you get here." Returning to the front door, she opened it wider and stood aside to let Archeville in. "He says you can come in," she reported, "and get started in the library. He'll be here in a few minutes. I'll show you where it is." With the baby snuggled into one arm and staring owlishly at the doctor, Erin led Archeville through the house and into the nicely appointed library. "I guess we're just supposed to clear the books and stuff off the table so you can work there."

"Danke schön, fraulein Vhite," Archeville said with a curt half-bow before entering. Based on movies some of the other Claremonters had wrangled her into watching, she almost expected him to click the backs of his heels, but he did not.

"Haff you been vorking mit de family long?"

Why are you making small talk with this damaged child?

Because it is polite? Because she is a person?

Soon they were in the library, which the Doktor looked on with an odd mix of approval (for the sheer size and complexity) and disdain (for the subject matter). "Oh, ja, ja, dis vill do just fine. Ah, dat table dere, please," he said as he began clearing it, moving the books and scrolls and whatnot to the floor underneath.

Crap, all of it!

That may be, but we can at least respect the order they have placed it in.

"Now, let me see... young Jack vould haff turned four months old a few days ago, so dere are several benchmarks he should haff reached. Und now is de time for a second round of immunizations, vhich I brought mit me," he patted the little black bag in his hands. "In your time mit him, haff you noticed anyding unusual? Not just unusual compared to ozher children, but unusual for him, based on prior established patterns?"

"A few weeks," Erin told the doctor, juggling the baby in one arm as she helped clear off the table. She moved like someone who was comfortable with babies, or at least this baby, though some of that might have been due to her general superhuman grace. "He tries to bite me sometimes, but he can't break the skin, so he's sort of given up on it. And he can, you know, recognize people in the dark without them talking, so he's got some kind of sense that lets him do that. But he doesn't act sick or anything, if that's what you mean. He's tired."

She looked really skeptical when the doctor talked about giving the baby his vaccinations, though she knew intellectually that the immunizations were good for the baby and that none of them were going to do anything horrific to him. They were all tested, millions of babies every year got them and were fine. Still though, she hesitated rather than laying the baby down in the cleared space on the table. "What kind of vaccinations are you giving him?" she asked.

Outside, Avenger took a moment to stare up at his house. How long had it been since he, Taylor, and Jack Jr. had all been together under one roof? Too long. Pushing past those depressed feelings, he headed up the walk in a woosh of air, making sure to announce his entrance as he arrived. The sitter was a very watchful girl, with a paranoia he found healthy and useful, so he called out "Erin! Viktor! I'm home!" He hung up his costume in a flash, then was heading up the stairs to the library. "How's my baby?" he asked, stepping into the library.

"Nutzing out of de ordinary," he replied to Erin's query. "Second doses of de Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis, Haemophilus influenzae type b, Pneumococcal PCV13, Rotavirus, und Polio immunizations. In two more months, I vill administer de third dose, as vell as his first flu shot, if Jack und Taylor decide dey vant it."

And a nanotracker so I can tap into its optic and auditory nerves, so as to see and hear everything it does....

No! No turning baby Jack into a spy!

As he talked, he began puling items from his black bag. Pen flashlight, measuring tape, a reflex hammer, a clipboard with numerous charts and notes on it, and an assortment of other small items. Then he pulled out the scale, and it was clear the bag was bigger on the inside than the outer dimensions implied. The last item he retied was a small black case, which he opened to reveal several small glass vials filled with clear liquid and an odd, slender device.

Hopefully the sight of the hypospray will not be as traumatic as seeing a series of hypodermic needles.

Aww, boo-hoo, poor lil' soldier-girl can't stand the sight of needles!

I am sure she is not that bad off, but even so, there is no point in needlessly antagonizing her.

By then, Avenger had appeared. "Ah, Jack, good to see you again. Your pride und joy seems fine so far, dough I haff yet to truly begin my examinations in earnest. I vas just discussing mit Erin here your son's general behavior und activity; haff you noted anything odd or disconcerting?"

Like the fact you and it are ABOMINATIONS!

Oh, for the love of -- we can disagree with their beliefs in what they are without being insulting about it!

Erin looked quite relieved to hear Jack Sr. enter the house. She took a few steps back from the table and watched as the doctor removed his instruments. "He's fine," she told Jack as he came into the room. "But he's tired. He's not going to like getting messed with tonight. Especially not with the shots." She cuddled the sleepy baby and gave the doctor another suspicious look. "You could do it another time."

"It's okay," Jack reassured Erin, automatically taking his baby from her and cosseting him lightly. "Doctor Archeville doesn't use metal needles with Jack Jr. Getting pricked makes him do things like pop into other dimensions, and that does nothing for the examination." He gently scuffed the baby's fuzzy head. "He's not a fan of needles." Plus, I prefer not to see his blood leaking out. It's uncomfortable. "Why don't you stay and watch?" he offered to Erin. "Since you've already been paid for the night, you've got the space for it."

'Already been paid for the night'? Paying her in advance to cover up something? OH! Maybe Avenger's taking a quick nip from the hired help while the wife's not around...

Just because you might do that does not mean he would.

There's no 'might' about whether or not I'd do so -- though I'd hire someone a lot more photogenic than the wiry zombpocalypse-girl there -- and you know full well what type of 'man' Avenger is!

... 'zombpocalpyse girl'?

You spend too much time looking after the Interceptors, Jack's starting to rub off on me...

"Oh, ja, de first few tests vere quite difficult," Archeville said as he gently tweaked the baby's toes, then began tickling his feet. "You gave us all qvite a scare de first time you disappeared, ja, you did!"

The Doktor made several quick measurements of the baby, height and length and weight, and several more on his head. He checked his hearing and ability to visually track objects, and checked to see if he would grab for things placed near him. "Haff either of you seen him attempt to roll over, or sit up?" he asked, though he continued to keep his eyes on his tiny patient and kept a happy smile on his face.

Ugh, how much longer do we have to hold this stupid face?

Oh, relax; it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile.

Spare me your trite aphorisms!

Erin wasn't entirely happy about the idea of sticking around, but Jack and Taylor were paying her an exorbitant amount of money per hour, so it was prudent to keep them happy, and just gave her more money in her pocket. She shoved her hands in those pockets and rocked lightly on the balls of her feet, watching the proceedings. "He rolls," she told the doctor, "from tummy to his back, and he props up on his arms pretty good. He has good coordination, he can grab things and put them in his mouth. And he smiles when he's not so tired. It's past his bedtime." She gave both men a disapproving look.

"His sleep cycle has been more irregular lately, with his mother...being around less." Rather than dwell on that problem, Jack added, "I've been concerned about him developing an inverted sleep cycle if he's not given regular bedtimes the way we do, and Erin does, actually." He hmmed, gently stroking the baby's very hairy head. "But yes, ah, he does all those things Erin mentioned." He opted not to mention that he'd seen him walking around just a little while earlier. After all, his adult son was nothing but a walking complication. "He knows his mother and I, and Erin sometimes, though he's not talking yet."

Archeville hrmed and nodded as he listened to the two, and jotted notes down on a clipboard. "Sounds like he is doing alright as far as his coordination und motor skills go," he aid as he peered into Jack Jr's ears, "but you say he is not talking at all yet? Not even attempts at it?"

I knew it!

What now?

The little abomination's slow, obviously a result of defective genes and exposure to who-knows-what types of chaotic energies.

Not everyone advances at the same rate, he may just be a slow starter. If anything, many of the tests have shown he is slightly ahead of the norm.

The Doktor put aside his scope and picked up a wooden tongue depressor. With his free hand he placed a finger on the baby's chin, "alright, little Jack, I need to take a look at your gums und teeth now, und at your throat. You are not going to bite me now, are you?"

Erin sneered at the doctor. "He's too little to talk," she said with great definiteness. She had done research before starting to babysit again, and the internet was pretty clear that babies didn't talk till they were more like a year old. Even a weird magic baby like Jack Jr. wasn't going to talk seven or eight months early. "And if you put your finger in his mouth, he'll probably bite you. He likes biting."

"Too little to talk in vords," Archeville snapped, with a noticeable 'that's not what I meant and you should damn well know that' tone, "but by dis age he should be making some vocalizations. Babbling of simple sounds, cooing, changing his pitch und tone depending on his emotional state... someding to indicate he is capable of speaking. Has he done none of dat yet?"

Watch your tone, they only know what we are talking about if we explain it fully. They are not mind-readers.

Thank goodness for small miracles...

Now I have to apologize to them both because of your outburst.

The Doktor remove his finger form the baby's chin, inhaled and exhaled sharply, and looked up at the two. His tone now was a complete 180 from a moment ago, "I... I am sorry, dat vas qvite uncalled for. I haff had qvite a lot on mein mind of late, at mein company und mit de League, und it is causing qvite a bit more stress dan I had anticipated. I do not offer dat as an excuse, dough, for nutzing should excuse an outburst such as dat; again, I apologize. Und you are correct, fraulein Vhite, little Jack Junior should not be using true vords until after eight months of age."

"Now, may I ask von of you to assist me in inspecting his teeth und throat?"

Jack would have commented on the argument, but he honestly wasn't sure what a good way to settle it was. Should I let them fight for dominance? No, that's not how normal people would do it. And I think Erin would win, but I need Viktor for the examination... "I'll do that. He only bites me in ambush, not when I'm sticking my fingers down his throat." Rather than comment further on that, he took up position with the baby, giving him big smiles, and truthfully forgot about the others for a minute. "Who's a big baby? Who's a big boy who can gabble like a goon?" He gave the baby a big smile, his teeth popping out in sharp and glorious fang.

Erin angled herself to get a better view of the proceedings, figuring that if she had to watch, she'd better keep an eye on things. She wasn't sure how much she trusted either of these guys to take proper care of the baby. For his part, Jack Jr. seemed happy to see his father, but a lot less happy when his father jammed a finger into his mouth. He enthusiastically gummed down on the intruding finger, hissing angrily and squirming. "He makes a lot of noises besides crying," she said, somewhat unnecessarily. "Mostly big round vowel sounds.

Despite having seen them numerous times, Jack Jr.'s fangs still creeped him out a little. "Danke, Jack... everyding looks good, no signs of gum diseases or throat infections. He has been... eating vell?"

Only bites him 'in ambush'? How the frack are they raising this thing?

I... am sure Taylor is making sure things do not get too out-of-hand.

The Doktor nodded at Erin's words, "ah, dat is very good to hear. How are your studies going?" he asked out of the blue.

... why do you care?

Education is always important.