A Doktor Who Makes House Calls?! [IC] [Closed]

KC spat out where they were before other thoughts interfered with his vision. "One, east, off shore, there's a lot of people gawking. The other, south, Providence Asylum." He blinked, and stood up. "Am I the only one getting a really bad omen here? About these two places in particular?" KC said as he opened his wings a little, stretching them. He squeezed the bridge of his nose. They needed to get there quickly. "I know I can't fly all that fast. Can someone give me a lift to one of them, and two of you can tackle the other? We need to take these monsters down as soon as possible, before something horrible happens."

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I can teleport us all to von spot," Archeville said as he began fiddling with the controls on his circuitry-styled belt, "den drop von off und carry de other to de second."

So we're a taxi service now?

Hush up. Your impulsiveness is what got us into this mess in the first place.

"Will that be sufficient?," he asked, looking up. "Or should ve team up against each thing? How tough are dese things?"

"Not too bad," Erin told him. "One hit apiece took care of the ones I was fighting, but I hit pretty hard," she acknowledged. "I can get myself out to the asylum, but I'm not going to be much use fighting over water. If you two go out there, I'll take care of the other one. We can regroup after that, or call in if one of them is tougher than we expected. Do you have a radio or a phone on you?" she asked K.C, even as she dug her own beacon out of her pocket and checked the frequency. She wasn't in uniform, but she had the equipment she needed.

KC whipped out his cell phone, and told Erin his number. "I ought to be able to roast the other Squrm. They don't care much for my mystic fire- ought to take care of them pretty well." He turned to the Doktor. "Just curious- why were you messing with the horrible books of magic, anyway? Haven't you seen Evil Dead?"

"I... do not know vhat dat is," the Doktor replied with a slightly befuddled look, "and besides, if the thing really was both so dangerous and so easily used, then she should have had it put up in a safer place, not just lying out here."

Such chaos and disorder here -- madness! I shall have no further part of it!

Good; if you are still, maybe I can fix this.

"Ready vhen you are," he said to Kid Cthulhu as he finished the last of the adjustments to his Belt. He was clearly uneasy about and sorry for all of this, and eager to stop it before it got out too out of hand.

Dok 'ports KC and himself to wherever KC instructs. Will that be right on the thing? Over the fascinated onlookers on the shore? Somewhere else? If KC has him teleport them right on top of the thing, we'll need to roll initiative.

"Ready when you are, Doktor. I hate to say it, Erin, but he does have a point. If Yellow Sign cultists knew this was here, they could snatch this up in an instant. Who knows what they could do with it. But to be fair...magic books in general aren't to be taken lightly. I should know." KC said as he held up a octopoid tentacle. "Erin, you go with your husband to Providence. Dok and I will go to the shore."

KC cracked his knuckles. "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum. And I'm all outta gum."

Archeville quirked an eyebrow at Kid Cthulhu's mention of his own experiences with mystic tomes.

That poor, poor kid!

Dumb kid brought it on himself.

But if we can do a proper study of so-called 'magic,' we can avoid things like that happening!

"To the shore!," the Doktor exclaimed, and both he and the Cthulhoid Kid were sucked away in a swirling blue-grey wormhole.

A few miles away, Archeville and KC appeared on the shore, behind the throngs of staring people who still looked outward to the ocean. The Squrm was still out there, but from this spot, the heroes could not see it.

Erin was alone in her employer's house. But there was something that needed punching over at Providence Asylum.

Erin debated trying her communicator again, but decided not to. This was her job, after all, and she could take care of it while her teammates dealt with whatever other situation had come up. Going back to the window, she covered the distance to Providence Asylum in a few quick bounds. Though she was out of uniform, she was doubly glad that she never came to a babysitting gig unarmed. You never knew what could happen, though she had to admit, this scenario hadn't even arisen in her mind when she'd been planning childcare strategies.

The Squrm was where KC had said it would be, flying around the asylum while the inmates and doctors watched it from the windows. These people didn't need any more disruptions or weirdness in their lives, that wouldn't help them get better. The faster the nasty thing was gone, the better. Hefting her bat, she sailed through the air like an efficient, deadly missile, smashing the thing with both ends of the bat several times before following it to the ground. Like KC had suggested, flat surfaces were not good for the monster.

"That's quite far away." Kid Cthulhu said as he reoriented himself from the teleportation trip. He couldn't even see the Squrm. "Is there any way we can get closer? Is there a flight function on that thing? My wings can only flap so fast." Kid Cthulhu asked the Doktor. "We'll need to talk after all of this is over."

"Look, I already apologized for reading from that verdammt book," the Doktor said as he began adjusting his Electromagnetic Screwdriver, "vhat more do you vant?"

I feel so terrible about all this!

That is because you are weak.

A glowing tractor beam lanced out of the techno-wand, grabbing Kid Cthulhu, who was dragged along as the Doktor sped out. Suddenly, they were at the horrible Squrm, which was flying and flopping in some sort of arcanometric pattern in the air above the oceans. The thing looked somehow more solid than before. Was it drawing energy from something below? From the people along the shore? Whatever the cuase, it had to be stopped!

Erin saw the faces slowly disappear from the windows, and the creature's body hissed and bubbled as it lay crumpled on the slanted roof of the asylum.

The mob at the shore continued looking outward, watching, waiting.

The hideous Squrm waved its tentacles before Archeville, tracing glowing mind-twisting sigils in the air. The sigils raced towards Archeville's head, wrapping it up completely. The Doktor struggled, but the mental assault bypassed all his mental defenses, all the tricks he'd learned and developed over the years to fight outside influence, darted straight to the very core of his being, and grabbed on firmly to his mind! He let out a scream, then hovered in the air, limp.

Offering accepted KC heard in his soul.

Time and space rippled above them before spitting out one very ruffled looking dimensional guardian, "What...? What the...? Who's been reading from Forbidden Tomes?!" She looked over at Archeville and then frowned at his limp form, "Oh. Well, then."

Phantom glanced down at the writhing mass of madness. "Would you like to deal with that and I'll see what I can do about the good Doctor?

Erin paused just long enough to make sure the monster wasn't getting back up before going to back up the other team. Now that she thought about it, she was a little worried about leaving KC alone with the doctor, no matter how much he'd said the book thing was an accident. If nothing else, she wanted to be there to make sure everything was taken care of. A quick teleport had her on the beach, facing the ocean. She couldn't see a doggone thing, but there was a whole crowd of people staring avidly in one direction, just like the people in the asylum had been.

Taking that as a hint. Erin leapt high into the air and out over the sea, scanning as she went for any sign of her cohorts or the monster. She found them half a mile out, with the doctor in the grip on the Squrm and another strange figure there as well, one she couldn't identify. Well, first things first. Turning her body and aiming with her bat, she plowed into the Squrm at full speed, smashing it several times with her bat for good measure. It immediately fell out of the sky, taking her with it!

KC saw Eric beat the hell out of the Squrm. Awesome. KC said as the Squrm dropped towards him. Waitaminute- Erin was dropping along with it. He positioned himself properly with his wings, holding his arms out, and caught her! He smiled at her. "Yo, what's up? Nice hit, by the way." KC watched the Squrm fall into the ocean, its form resembling a punctured beach ball. "We need to help Dok. He looks like he took a big hit the that monster's magic." KC said as he flew closer to Dok. "Hey Dok? Anyone home?"

The Squrm fell, bobbing along across the waves. Unlike the others, it had not impacted a straight, flat surface, so it was not bubbling and hissing.

Archeville continued to hang limply in the air. His eyes were glazed, and his lips moved as if speaking, but no sound came out. Erin knew that when she'd KO'd the one at the asylum, everyone went back to normal; what was different this time?

Phantom floated up to examine the good doctor, her expression hard to read behind her deep cowl and mask, "Hrmm... Not good. Where's the book?"

She reached out, careful not to touch him but to get a good look at the words he was shaping, her eyes narrowed behind her mask. "I would recommended against touching him at this point in time. Really, its a wonder he is neither dead nor - hopefully - insane. His will must be quite strong. It will not be enough, however."

"Is there anything I can do to help? I mean...I guess this is kind of my thing. Dok handed me the book, the Unaussprechlichen Kulten." KC snapped his fingers, and materialized the tome in his hands. Anyone with any sort of magical senses could tell the book gave off a pure black aura of dark magic. "I'd like to assume there's some way to snap him out of this spell. Be careful though...it has side effects." KC said, lifting a tentacle. "If you could assist me, I could maybe try to reach in and take whatever's in there out. If you would. I can feel that thing inside him, moving around inside his mind."

"I know the book. He pulled it from my library. There's nothing that will help anyone in it." Phantom took the book and would carefully replace it into the extradimensional space that it had been in before Archeville had pulled it out. "He's still held in thrall because he's the one who started the spell in the first place. Once it has a hold, it won't let go until the person is broken or mad, and yes, there is a difference. The best thing to do, I think, is to boost his own mental powers to allow him to break free. Despite what the good doctor would like to believe, he is no ordinary mortal man. I fear you going into his mind to remove anything could have... unintended consequences."

Phantom watched the doctor continue to mouth unspeakable things a second or two longer, "If you think you can bolster his humanity, do so, by all means. I'll help however you'd like. If you have concerns, I can cast the spell myself but you know what they say. Catch a man a fish... and it just might be a deep one."

KC breathed in a sigh. "You're a much more experienced magician than myself. I more or less stumbled into this study. It would probably be best if you were the one that cast the spell, Phantom. I'll assist in any way I can. The question is, supposing we do get this horrible influence out of the Doktor's mind...where will we put it? I can try to whip up a banishment spell, if you want. It'll do the world a favor- having such an entity sent back to wherever it came." KC crossed his arms and looked into the Doktor's eyes, his mind elsewhere. He wanted to help any way he could, but the fact that he was an amateur mystic at best probably would do more harm then good.

"It does not belong here, it will - provided my spell is sufficient - snap back to the space beyond once its ties are cut. Hopefully, this will not cause the good doctor too much discomfort. But better pain than insanity." Unlike most casters the two had probably seen before, Phantom made no gestures or invocations. Instead, she gathered up the power in her palm and then without much warning or fanfare, thrust her intangible hand glowing with power right into Archeville's skull.

Phantom's spell of nullification was cast, creating a bubble about her that attempted to undo all magical and dimensional effects. Blake Salazar felt a wrenching in the pit of his stomach, but whatever unnatural forces empowered him fought back, and he remained Kid Cthulhu. Wait, no -- his wings! They shriveled under the dimensional guardians' assault, and he (and Erin) plummeted into the ocean below!

The primary target underwent an equally intense transformation. From his limp, glass-eyed position hovering in the air, Archeville suddenly arched back and let out a gurgling roar! His limbs warped and distended, hands and feet swelling to twice their normal size and sprouting veiny webbing that just as quickly melted away, and patches of skin hardened and twisted into a rainbow of scales before sloughing off and falling into the sea, but dissolving into the aether before actually hitting the water. His mouth warped, first a lamprey maw, then a piranha's fangs; one ear folded in upon itself while the other widened into a broad fin; his eyes bulged and bugged, going all black, then blood red, then blue-green. Finally the mutations stopped, and the German scientist resumed his normal handsome appearance. He looked up to Phantom, confusion giving way to relief, "what... what happened to-" He spasmed again, and vomited up copious amounts of a foul blue-black gunk! Taylor was relieved, though, for she could tell this was the last of the Squrm's influence -- and whatever had been in Archeville that it had latched on to -- being purged from him.

Kid Cthulhu's wings shrunk into his back. "Wha-?" He said as gravity suddenly grabbed him and started to pull him into the water. "Save me Cthulhuuuu!" KC shouted as he plummeted towards the bay. He hoped Cthulhu didn't save him, personally, but it was worth a shot. He fell for a moment, feeling a bit like a Lovecraftian Icarus. He hit the water at a great speed, plunging into the depths. He fought for air, panicking in his surprise. KC thought for a moment as he struggled around in the water. Hmm, drowning. It's not a very good way to die. I hear it really really hurts. And besides, I'm Kid Cthulhu! Cthulhu freaking sleeps under the water! It's too soon for me to die! He thrashed through the water, his hands and legs kicking. Kid Cthulhu finally broke to the air, taking in gasps of air. "Umm, little help here?"

As Erin felt KC starting to fall, she looked around for some other form of support. The Doctor's unconscious body was within reach, but it seemed both unkind and unwise to jump on someone whose body had been taken over by some kind of evil forces. Instead, she twisted away from KC and entered the water in a reasonable facsimile of a clean dive, rising quickly back to the surface. Swimming over to KC, she tried to determine whether he was yelling for help or hoping to get pulled out of the water. "Can you swim?" she asked him, treading water herself, but ready to assist if needed.

"Hrmm..." Phantom murmured, which was contemplative mystic for 'oops' as the children dropped out of the sky like rocks, "Miscalculation."

She glanced over at Archeville and once she was sure he was ridding himself of the last of the substance, she floated down to the water's surface. Her cloak billowed out from her, writhing along the surface of the water like living tendrils. "My apologies."

Phantom gestured, intending to lift them from the water with eldritch tendrils of power, "That spell is effective but not exactly focused."

Archeville spat out that last bits of the black gunk, a look of sheer revulsion on his face. "What... what is this stuff?!"

This is the most unpleasant experience I have ever had. And, yes, that does include that time in- wait... hello?

Revulsion giving way to confusion, the Doktor wiped his mouth with his sleeve while looking all around him. Seeing the others, he dove towards Kid Cthulhu, Wander, Phantom, and the unconscious Squrm in the water. "Is everyone alright? Is that thing dead?"

... hello?