This Side of the Pond [Open]

Thevshi

Gamma Buzz

"Ah.. I know hes your father and all that. Respect your parents and hail mary..." said Baz, reflexively tapping his armoured plates in the style of a crucifix. He didn't know what to believe, theologically speaking, but until he worked it out, he was going to play safe and not antagonise the man upstairs. Catholicism still ran in his veins, along with radioactive insect-blood. 

"...but still, sounds a bit... ah draconian?" he asked, tentatively. "How does he feel about you and your ball?" he asked. 

He imagined a strict, stern father ready to clip a boy around the ear. But then, Baz grew up in Mexico and clips round the ear were commonplace where he grew up. Not that where he grew up was representitive of Mexico, more like representative of the cess pit of Mexico. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spaceman

After nodding at Mizuki as she joins the group, Parker frowns at the thought of Vicki's father actively trying to put her out of the way, especially if it is because of her powers, which Baz of course shares his opinion of in his usually sensitive way.

"Not to put words in your mouth, Vicki, but I imagine that's why she's here, Baz," he calmly states. "If I'm right... Are you alright with this, Vicki? About him putting you out of the way like this, I mean?"

Torpedo Lass II

"You could see the logic, but there's something my dad taught me... a proverb from a founding father."

"Those that trade liberty for security deserve none."

"Far as a know, no super ever asked for their powers, how fair is it that they have to do something a normal citizen doesn't have to do?" The anti-facist in her stirred a little, but she swallowed it back for 8-Ball. "No offense to current company. Here... we're safe."

"Claremont is an example of a means for us to know about our powers so we can safely use them. Although I wonder if there's a Magic and Sorcery department here."

She was facinated... Magic was REAL, and she's standing next to someone who uses it? "I mean... that is your 'source' as someone put it back at the AEGIS clinic I stayed at a couple days..."

Vicki shuffled her feet, looking down at some speck on the ground again.  Her father was a massive source of shame for her.  She desperately wanted to use her abilities to help people and be part of the hero community at large.  But that was difficult with her father's stances and legislation he was pushing for in the UK.  At least being over in the states, he was a bit less known, although his frequent rants in parliament often landed him on BBC or CNN or other news networks.

"Well... he doesn't really know about it and thinks it's kind of like a um... security blanket.  So he often tells my Nanny to 'get rid of that bloodly thing and have her grow up.'  As for being all right staying here... I mean, it's just my first day, but I think this might be the most wonderful place I have ever been.  Ever.  Really."  She added the last two words to emphatically give her consent that she wasn't just saying that to be polite.

"I mean, he's my father and I love him for that.  But no... I don't like any of what he says and certainly less of what he does.  I'm kind of hoping to learn more how to control things better.  I sometimes have issues focusing and that would be nice to learn to change."

Finally she addressed MIzuki's question, "well, I have been told that it... and I are magical.  It's not like I have a cauldron and am brewing up potions, or for that matter, have any real idea how it all works, but yes... it's magic and I certainly hope there are teachers here who can help make sense of it all."

She said the last picking up the insistent ball which had been bouncing into her ankle over and over.

"Do most people here need instructions as to what they do and how they do it?"

Timeout

Lawrence had mostly stood quietly to allow Vicki a chance to interact with his friends. As the subject shifted towards her family, and in particular her father, Lawrence gave her a supportive smile.

As Mizuki's comment about not knowing of any heroes who choose to get their powers, the blond thing though about one example he had met. But, not wanting to get into the need to explain the existence of an ancient intergalactic empire and how the Praetorians had returned to the galaxy in modern times, Lawrence decided to mention other examples, if not exactly what Mizuki was talking about. "I believe there are some that did Mizuki. And consider all the heroes that don't have any powers." He stated with a friendly smile to the other girl. "True they don't have powers, but they do tend to dedicate themselves to training themselves to be able to do what they do. Or they create inventions that give them powers."

"Ultimately, what you do with power, or talent, is what matters. And in large part that is what Claremont is intended to help with."

He focused back on Vicki as she asked about whether many students where at the school to learn to use their powers. "There are certainly those that do need help with that, but there are others that don't. As Mizuki said, this is a safe space, where we don't need to hide what we can do."

He then gave her a comforting smile with regard to her concerns about her family, and in particular her father. "Families can be…complicated. I know there have been students here that have come from families heavily involved in criminal activity, metahuman or normal, they did not let that define them."

"I am not one hundred percent certain if there is always a staff member dedicated to helping those with magical abilities, but the headmistress has the resources to get that help if needed. When my foster sister was here, she had several classmates that used magic, including one of her best friends, Veronica Danger."

• 2 weeks later...

Spaceman

Parker shrugs, after Lawrence's explanation. "I know that I still have a lot to learn about my powers and what I can do, so if you feel like you need guidance, you're not the only one."

It isn't something that he usually likes to advertise, but on the other hand, it sounds like Vicki would feel better if she wasn't the only one.

That actually did make her feel better, by a fair margin.  Heroes in the media were typically presented as competent and professional.  'A hero will save the day' was not an uncommon phrase, and to be fair, not an uncommon occurrence.  So to admit that she didn't have control over what she did was always a little frightening and certain something she didn't feel very good about.

Still, she was getting comfortable enough to ask far more mundane, if perhaps more teen centric questions, "so... what sorts of fun things do people do when they aren't studying or practicing?"

Gamma Buzz

"As for me, I have fully mastered my non-lethal radioactive powers!" said Baz, giving them all the thumbs up. "I am only a little bit radioactive, unless I lose control or fall asleep or someone upsets me or you aren't my friend."

He winked. 

"But I guess thats why we are all here, right? So we dont cause nuclear fallout to rain armageddon over Freedom City? At least, thats my take."

"As for fun, I am going trying to persuade Laurence to help me set up a pirate I mean totally legit radio station so we can flood the airways with illeg-I mean totally legal buzzing tunes!"

Timeout

As Vicki asked her question about what people did for fun, Lawrence gave her a curious look. "People do things other than homework or train?" He asked with a straight face, before breaking into a smile before Baz started into his plan for a radio station.

"I keep telling you Baz, let's figure out what you need and then we can make it happen. Besides, I bet the Headmistress would approve it as some sort of club, so you could get equipment from the school." The blond teen said before looking back to Vicki. "Beside the various clubs Michael talked a bit about, I expect most just do what teens anywhere do. Some play video games, listen to music, go to the mall, and the like. The school puts on dances from time to time." He gave a small shrug.

"As for some of the perhaps more unusual things…one of the seniors has a Tik Tok channel and web business she started. I think it's called 'cat girl reacts.' Rumor is another senior started a band with a recent alumna and they play in clubs around the city. You are bound to run into her at some point today, redhead, about as tall as me. She usually has one or two of her duplicates running around campus."

Gamma Buzz

"Oh yes, that's right," coughed Baz, a puff of glowing green air spluttering against his three fingered hands. "I mean, the Headmistress and club, and equipment, right. But is it Rock n Roll? I mean, doing things all legal and by the book, I mean, is it as fun?" he said to Lawrence, with a wink. 

"Is it as fun as a radioactive pirate station based in the sewers of Freedom City pumping out 300bpm raves that last twenty four hours!"

He paused. 

"Wait, maybe thats getting a bit ahead of ourselves. A club, it is!"

"See, we are tons of fun!" he added to Vikki. "And naughty, too!"

Spaceman

"Right," Parker just responds to Baz's talk. Honestly, he likes Baz, but he is also just a lot to deal with sometimes. "Short of it: There's a lot of things to do here outside classes and studying. Besides, there's a lot of things to do out in the city. It's not like we're not allowed to leave the school."

Sure, they aren't really allowed to go out and be super heroes, but from what he's gathered from other students, it's common enough, but probably something that shouldn't be said where everyone can hear.