Golden Student [OPEN]

Thevshi

He didn't need more warning, really, but he also acknowledged to himself that he deserved to be chastised for that poor behavior, so he didn't even raise a voice of dissent. Instead, he agreed.

"You're correct, of course. I should be in better control of myself, it's inappropriate for someone like me to get angry and do something like that, and I will strive to do better in the future. If I fail, I deserve any punishment given to me." he said, absolutely serious and deferential to the more experienced student; he inclined his head down, lowered his eyes, and shrunk his shoulders as he did so, all the appropriate markers of someone expressing genuine regret at his failure to live up to an example he held himself to. "I will make sure to hold myself to a higher standard in the future." His tone was somber after that; appropriately contrite for his actions.

"I will devote myself to using those libraries to better myself, especially in learning better self-control." he stated seriously. Sometimes he just said things that seemed like they could be sarcastic or ridiculous, but he was saying them with the complete sincerity of someone who either was a great actor or actually genuinely believed them. "If you have any recommendations, I will start there."

"As for my powers, I can fly, I've got super strength, super speed, that sort of stuff. I'm still learning how to use them perfectly though. That's what the watch is for. When my hair and eyes change, and when you hear that buzzing, that means I'm using all my strength, and I can only do that for about an hour. I'm about ten times as good at everything when I do that; ten times as strong, ten times as fast, I'm immune to small bullets, even my senses get sharper. After that I go back to about where I am now, or lose all my powers for awhile, kinda depends. It makes me really tired too." He explained freely. "I know Bernadette's powers. What are yours, if you don't mind me asking?"

Edited by Poncho
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeout

As the trio made their way through a passage in the building to the open quad in the middle, Bernadette’s phone rang and she pulled it from a pocket to glance at the screen. "Sorry, need ta take this, I'll catch up." She said as she slowed down and Michael and Neko continued on into the open space beyond.

As the two teens entered the quad, there were a number of other students visible within, some talking in small groups or making their way to or from a class. A trio of students were walking in the direction of the passage and came upon Neko and Michael, stopping as they came upon the pair. All three were male, although….one appeared to be a humanoid insect.

One of the three, a blond teen who appeared to be about sixteen and was wearing a pair of jeans and a deep blue sweater regarded the pair a moment before giving them a charming smile. "Oh, sorry." He said as apology at the trio almost walking into the pair, a faint British accent noticeable as he spoke. "Neko right?" He asked, regarding the cat-girl, before he looked at Michael. "Not sure we've me, Lawrence Harrow." He stated, extending his hand.

Michael felt a small amount of concern at Bernadette having another obligation. It wasn't like he was scared, it was more he was pretty sure he had made a bad impression on Neko and he was being left alone with her. But entering the quad full of students actually helped put him more at ease then rile him up; a crowd, he could deal with, probably. He adjusted the sleeves of his navy suit and ran a hand through his brown hair as they entered the Quad, putting a charming enough smile back on.

When new people came up to meet him, he greeted then graciously, clasping hands with the one in front with ease and returning a firm handshake.

"A pleasure, Lawrence. I'm Michael Adon. This is my first day, so if we've met it wasn't here. Please, take this card. It's a coupon for where I work. I always like to give them out to people I'm meeting for the first time." He said calmly. His gaze stopped on the insectoid student for a moment longer than the other two but his smile didn't waver, and he quickly held out his hand to each of the new students in turn along with cards of their own.

"Wow. Do those antenna work? Can you feel sounds and stuff with them?" He asked with a restrained curiosity; he wanted to ask a million questions but he kept it to one to start with.

Neko introduced the boys one after the other, recognizing most of them from Owain's stories about the boys on his floor. They'd all seen her sneaking around and talking to Owain in the common room when it was technically late at night, though no one could exactly prove anything since she was never really there to begin with. (Nothing unsavory was happening; Owain didn't seem to be the type interested in girls.) 

"We have an international student body," she explained to Michael. "I am from Japan, Lawrence is British - and there are some people here from even more unusual places." She smiled at Gamma Buzz, who she actually liked well enough. She'd have preferred to meet a glowing cricket than a cockroach, but people that looked like animals. "Where are you from?" she asked Michael, her tail now flat and contented as it wrapped around her lower leg. 

Gamma Buzz

Baz liked being able to shoot gamma beams from his eyes. But he didn't like being a half-insect. His Antenna made him self-conscious. 

"Yeah, they pick up tremors..." he said. He couldn't blush anymore, but his cheeks glowed green. 

"But totally optional, look!" he added, grasping both antenna and pulling them off his head with a slight "pop" sound. 

He handed them to Michael. "I mean, there you go..."

What a damn silly thing to do he thought to himself, cheecks glowing greener. Gotta save face from that fumble!

"I guess they would be great for your science class. No wait, that doesnt sound cool. Wait, did I say that out aloud? what I meant to say was glowing green goes great with gold. You could, um, stick them in your lapel or something. That works, right? Totally cool!"

Golden Star

"Bernadette and Neko were showing me around, yeah. There's a surprising amount to see in this place, I'm still getting my bearings around this place. I've never actually been so close to so many people with powers before, I generally only see them from a distance, excluding one major time." Which gave him a chance to segue into Neko's question.

"I grew up here in Freedom City, actually. In Lantern Hill. So I'm about as local as you can get." He said to her, then changed to talking to Baz, not having an issue handling questions from multiple people, like he was used to interviews. He took the antennae with surprising reverence and placed them in his front pocket

"That is incredible. I'm going to put these in a nice wooden box with a glass case as my first memento from you. I have the perfect one in mind, actually. When you're a world famous superhero I can hang them in my office and tell people I knew you before you were a household name the world over." He said to Baz with an absolute sincerity.

"So, where do you and Parker come from? And what sort of clubs of pastimes do you all do? I know Neko mentioned hers to me."

Edited by Poncho

Timeout

Lawrence gave a small chuckle as Michael mentioned Bernadette and Neko were giving him his tour. "I'm a bit surprised there isn't a small army of redheads around then."

The blond teen tensed slightly as Michael began asking Baz about his antenna. Lawrence was fairly aware of just how much his roommate was bothered by his own appearance. Baz tried to play it off, but it still seemed to bother him. "Baz's has much cooler powers, I mean, he shoots laser beams from his eyes." Lawrence stated, turning to one of Baz’s main go-to statements about his abilities.

Being rather skilled at navigating social engagements, Lawernce took the pivot to other topics. "Neko is partially correct, my father is British, and we skip back across the pond several times a year, but we spend the majority of our time here in Freedom City, up in North Bay." He stated. "As for extracurriculars, so far mainly some of the science clubs, but I am sure there will be others that pique my interest. Sounds like you have some in mind already?"

Spaceman

"Please stop giving people your body parts, Baz," Parker says, shaking his head while he watches the whole deal with the antenna with the look of someone that's just done with that bit.

"I'm local, actually. Grew up right here in Bayview, but we traveled a lot." He shrugs. "Mostly vacations and such, I guess." He forgot about his privilege from his parents' wealth again. He really shouldn't bring that up, if he could help himself.

"I'm with Lawrence on the science clubs. It's interesting, but wouldn't say it's easy. I saw a board game club too, might join that. Used to play all kinds of games like that with my sister." He would ask about Michael's own plans, but Lawrence already did. No need to crowd him.

Golden Star

"He does that often? That's a fun way to make friends. Though I have to admit, shooting lasers out of your eyes? That's incredibly cool as well. Can you see when you do it or does it just turn everything green?" He was getting back to asking a lot of questions again.

"North Bay, huh? Your family must be up there...though I guess trips across the ocean a few times a year shows that too. I'm hoping to eventually travel a bit myself. And right here in Bayview huh, I guess you didn't have to travel far to get here." 

"As for clubs, Science and board games are great, but what about a debate club? Or a classic book club maybe?" He thought about it for a bit. "Actually, with it getting closer to the holidays, we're getting near the time where a lot of toy drives start up. I usually volunteer at one of the fire stations in town, helping sort packages and track bicycles for people, so they'reready to be handed out to needy families. It may not be a 'real' club, but I guess a sort of 'Volunteer Activism' group is something I'd like to either join or get something set up."

"What about the powers you two have? Do you shoot laser beams from your eyes?"

Edited by Poncho

"British, American - you all look alike to  me," pronounced Neko cheerfully in Lawrence's direction. Not immediately interested in the conversation among the younger boys (for all that they seemed like pleasant young men), she took this opportunity to climb her way up a nearby tree and settle in, perching on a large branch and licking the back of her hand before running it through her white and brown hair. 

Timeout

Lawrence gave Neko a friendly smile at her comment before turning back to Michael when she stepped aside for the moment. At Michael's comments about his family living in North Bay, Lawrence gave a small nod at the implication of his family’s wealth. "My father has various obligations back in the UK that requires his attention, my mother and I accompany him some of those times." He replied, trying to downplay the discussion of wealth, which was another topic he knew could make Baz uncomfortable.

He again pivoted back to the change of topics as Michael continued to ask questions and cover other topics. "I am pretty sure there is a debate club already, not sure it has done too much so far this year though." He commented. At the discussion of volunteer work, Lawrence gave a small nod. "My mother dedicates a fair amount of time to various philanthropic projects throughout the city, and other parts of the world, often working alongside one or both of my grandmothers who have a long history in such work. So I have some experience helping with volunteer projects."

At the question about their powers, Lawrence gave a small shrug. "Nothing as flashy as shooting lasers from my eyes." He began. "I have some control over the flow of time, being able to slip in and out of it as I want and even move forward and backward through time as well." He responded, a response that was now rather familiar to both Baz and Parker.

Spaceman

Parker isn't really sure what to make of Neko's statement about all of them being the same, but he decides to let it go. As for Lawrence, however, and downplaying his powers, again? Parker can't help but wonder why Lawrence does that. Does he really not realize what he can do, or does he not want to deal with the responsibility of knowing? While Parker's own powers are so very different, they are, as far as Parker is concerned, connected too, just on a different axis. Time and space. Both could do terrible things if applied on a grand enough scale, and working together? Would there be any limits, if they grew powerful? Lawrence's powers would frankly be scary if it wasn't Lawrence.

"Lawrence is being modest," Parker says, looking at Michael at first, but also at Lawrence. "You can control time Lawrence. That's... Honestly, that's incredible. How many people with powers can do something like that? And I'm pretty sure you know that, so why do you keep on downplaying it?" 

Parker knows that he might be coming on too strong, but on the other hand, maybe a push is what Lawrence needs?

Golden Star

"I respect it, Lawerence. I'll be on the look out for signups. And maybe we can get some signups of our own or let people know about volunteering. Stuff like that looks good on college applications too, though I suppose just the fact you have this school on your transcript probably helps just as much. Help from a student who actually knows what's going on around here could be a great help since I'm clearly out if my depth." As Parker talked, he turned to him, then back at Lawrence, a frown creasing his brow again.

"Controlling time?" His face stayed even and his tone didn't waver as he appraised Lawrence. 

"That is definitely a tremendous power. I can see it being...difficult." he looked at Buzz again, then thought about his interaction with the green haired girl, then looked at Neko in the tree. He voice took a serious and somber tone as he judged his words carefully. He'd been directly confronted with some people who were going to have mich rougher experiences then he had, and probably would have, and he paused and gathered his thoughts, sweeping his eyes further across the quad and looking at the other students.

"I understand." He finally said, nodding. "You don't need to tell me anything more if you'd rather not. I don't want to pressure you into sharing something you'd rather not." He said to Lawerence but also in a way that indicated he meant it to everyone. 

Edited by Poncho

Timeout

If Lawerence was bothered by Parker's comments, he did not show it. In fact, the blond teen had expected that at some point his attempts to downplay his powers would get pushback, and it was not surprising it came from Parker. Instead, he gave his friend a slightly amused smile. "Well, what I said is not exactly untrue, being powerful and being flashy do not always go hand in hand."

Glancing over to Michael, Lawerence's expression indicated he appreciated the other teen's attempt to move past the subject, but then he continued. "But, I am very aware of the implications of my powers," he said, looking back to Parker, "and being modest is a part of it, but there is also something to be said about not trying to stand out. Not that there is anything wrong with projecting confidence," he glanced over to Baz briefly, "but there can be advantages to having people underestimate you. And while I certainly don't expect that to be necessary with anyone here, it never hurts to practice."

"In any event, your powers are hardly anything to scoff at." He addressed Parker.

Neko hooked her legs around the branch where she crouched and dangled down, hanging upside down above the boys. "Whoop! Hey Baz!" she called down to Gamma Buzz. "We are showing Hunter x Hunter at anime club on Friday, do you want to see? It's got some bad bugs but they are pretty tough!" Neko loved anime club. Not because of the cartoons; most of which were products of a world far removed from the Japan she remembered. But it was pleasant to hear voices speaking Japanese again and the members of the club, well - they tended to be boys and they tended to be nice and they tended to be rather sheltered, and so they tended to do most of the things she asked of them. It was very pleasant.

Gamma Buzz

Baz did a backflip. He didn't really like anime, but he sure liked being asked if he liked anime. 

And he didnt really dislike it either. It was a cartoon, and had loved cartoons. He felt maybe one or two years too old to really love cartoons, but he didn't feel old enough to dislike them. 

"Why not! Bugs are cool, especially the radioactive ones! At least in the book of Gamma Buzz! Hey, that sounds like a real book! The book of Gamma Buzz! Available at all good bookshops now! I could fill it with lots of cool exploits. Wait! It could be a comic book, even better! The Book of Gamma Buzz, edition 1! Featuring Gamma Buzz! I like it!"

He gave a thumbs up to Neko. 

"Hey, you look like you can draw comic books, am i right?"

Edited by Supercape

Neko grinned at Gamma Buzz and put her clasped hands in front of her. Like a magician, she pulled them apart, revealing what looked for all the world like a bound collection of newspaper comics. "Look and see," she said, watching Baz as she handed the book over to him. "Careful, it is very light." Though the book was weightless to the touch, Baz could see what looked to be crude, stick-figure versions of himself battling enemies like The Ant King and The Bee-Keeper. The dialogue was very simple but he could understand all of it. "That is just here now," she added for the cockroach boy, "but maybe I could make one that's better with more time..." she added. 

Gamma Buzz

OK - so this was stick men. This was no work of art. 

But!

It had Gamma Buzz fighting villains! Proper villains, with super powers! And insect super powers, too!

It brought a tear to his eye. 

"Thats fantastic!" he cried, cluthing the book like it was made of gold. "I mean, thank you! Can I keep it? I want to look at it whenever I need motivational Inspirationals!"

That was right, wasn't it? Motivational Inspirationals? It sounded right, so it must be right. In any case, it was honest. He could already see himself blasting the Beekeeper with Gamma Blasts! And punching the Ant King with Gamma punches! He knew what he would be dreaming about tonight, and for many nights to come!

KPOW! BZZZT! BZZZT!

Neko's tail twitched behind her, her ears folding back, but she stayed smiling as she said "No, this one is only here while I am. But since you are my friend, I could make you one that lasts forever," she allowed, thinking ahead. "We can talk about that later, hm?" she asked, her yellow eyes blinking. 

At that moment, the day was saved when there came the nearby sound of hoofbeats. From the other side of the quad there came at a trot the arrival of a young man in armor on horseback; not quite the image of a knight in shining armor, more like the light armor of a Roman cavalryman or scout as he trotted up to join the group by the tree. "What ho, fellows!" declared Kid Gawain as he leaped from the horse, the magical steed vanishing as his boots touched ground. 

As always his accent sounded vaguely Welsh to the ears of people experienced with UK dialects - or rather, like a Welsh person playing Shakespeare on the stage. He clasped hands with the boys he knew, then smiled at Michael. "Well-met! Owain of Camlann, and yourself?" 

Golden Star

"There are benefits to being modest, I can agree. Self-confidence and modesty are not necessarily opposed, and one can be confident without being prideful, I think. I can appreciate your modesty though. " He was beginning to understand that navigating the use of your powers and how you presented yourself in using them was a significant part of social interaction in this school, an additional layer to any interaction that he would have to be aware of whenever he interacted with anyone. Which meant he would have to be paying attention at all times to see what other students could do and how they felt about what they could do. It would be interesting, and probably fun in some respects, and good practice for his future life in others.

Then another boy showed up on a magic horse and that sort of took his attention for a moment, including when it disappeared. He was still paying attention to Lawrence and Parker though, since it seemed like Parker was about to talk about his powers.

Michael gave the new boy a quite friendly smile and offered his hand with one of those cards that was actively becoming a bit of a signature for him.

"Owain, I'm Michael Adon. I happen to be brand new. And you have a disappearing horse and that is...quite impressive. I don't have anything near as impressive, but I do have a discount card for where I work." He really hoped this boy did not think that summoning a magic horse was a negative.

Edited by Poncho

Spaceman

Parker smiles at rather determined smile at Lawrence. "I never said they were." He knows what he can do, of course, but he doesn't know the limits. Or if there are any, beyond him. And honestly? Part of that scares him, just like Lawrence's powers could be scary. 

And then... Owain rides in on a horse. For some reason, that just catches Parker completely off guard. He's not even sure why, but something about it is too out of place, and he's taken out of it.

"Owain, I've been meaning to ask, do you bring that horse everywhere?"

Timeout

Lawrence had been watching Baz's interaction with Neko out of the corner of his eye with a slight smile, but focused back on the discussion with Michael and Parker when Owain arrived in rather dramatic fashion. The blond teen was appreciative that the older student’s arrival did move things away from the discussion of the implications of his powers.

"Good morning Owain." He replied with a friendly smile as the older boy clasped his hand in greeting. There was certainly something about Owain, and Neko, who were regularly in each other's company, that seemed a bit…off to Lawerence. But, growing up in the superhuman community, he had long ago learned not to pry into things that others might not want discussed.

"Nay!" replied Owain ebulliently. "Though Môr is from the stock of Hengroen and Llamrei, I have ne'er been so pressed as to take her into battle. And though flying is pleasant, I find I prefer riding the bus or the flying train when not in battle. But perhaps that time will come, anon, who can say." He turned to Michael and said with all seriousness, as if consoling a friend in a time of weakness, "Michael, if a discount card is what you have, then I shall take it with pleasure. We all have the gifts given to us by God. Lawrence, well-met!" He clapped the younger boy on the back. "How is thy lovely mother?" 

Timeout

Lawrence gave a small smile to Owain as the older boy asked about his mother. The blond teen had not specifically mentioned his mother to most of his fellow students thus far, for…a number of different reasons. But, she was old friends with Erik Espadas, whose family Owain and Neko stayed with during holidays and breaks. So, Lawrence and his mother had met Owain at the Mr. Espadas' self-defense school a few months back when Lawrence had accompanied her to a meeting she was having with Mr. Espadas about some charity event in the West End both were involved in sponsoring and organizing.

"She is good, still busy with her various charity events and such." The blond teen responded with a small smile. He glanced over to Parker and Baz and then back to Michael and Owain. "Well, we should probably get going to our next class, good to meet you Michael, I am sure we will see you around."