Jump to content
KnightDisciple

Deep Into That Darkness Peering (OOC)

Recommended Posts

This is the OOC thread for this. In case rolls happen. What madness would that be, I wonder! 

 

Feel free to ask questions; I don't intend to dwell over-long in the starting spot, but this gives me a bit more time to try and get ducks in rows. 

Share this post


Link to post

Right so! We're going to have....hm. 3-4 sites, depending on how things go. You all can pick from any of the following to start at; we'll assume you hashed it out IC, and I'll post in the IC thread to set the scene.

 

-High end electronics warehouse

-High-rise office

-Upper middle class home

-Storefront on a lower-income area street

 

(I'll pick districts later, just giving broad brush strokes for now!)

Share this post


Link to post

Matt would probably vote for the warehouse or home to start. Offices aren't really his style and the storefront's pretty visible for their first go.

Share this post


Link to post

Makes sense, Fox. Fred doesn't know much about electronics so she's lean toward the home but she'd trust Merlin to pick up the slack at the warehouse if it came down to it.

Share this post


Link to post

We'll start with the home. 

 

I'll set the scene, and then people can go through their characters arriving, going in, searching about, and y'all can give me checks you think appropriate, and I'll give feedback where appropriate. 

Share this post


Link to post

Right, there's the setup. I'll provide more details as asked and/or when checks are made, depending. 

 

Up to you guys how you get in the house, but there are police-types inside, so you won't be completely alone. 

Share this post


Link to post

Notice, Grim: Notice Check: 1d20+13 30

Notice, Dog (mostly paying attention to neat smells, acute, tracking olfactory, and such): Notice Check: 1d20+10 13 (boo, dog!)

 

The dog by the front door serves mostly to relay interesting information to Grim via Mental Link...and to mildly weird out the designated authority figures.

Share this post


Link to post

Notice Check: 1d20+5 25

 

Notice ALL the things! Fred also has ranks in Investigate and Search as well, when there's a chance to use them.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Notice Check: 1d20+5 25

 

Notice ALL the things! Fred also has ranks in Investigate and Search as well, when there's a chance to use them.

 

I'd say go ahead and make any/all rolls you'd like to use now, and I/we can weave them in where it fits. We're gonna be doing this a couple of times, and I do promise you no combat.

 

At this specific location. :D

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/7/2017 at 9:53 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

Okay, that's a short post, but I thought it would help the plot if we got inside the house quick! Feel free to yell at me if that's the wrong way.

 

Your Notice check tells you no shenanigans happened in the hall beyond the owners realizing "OMG BREAK-IN AAAAAHHHHH" and quickly moving to a different part of the house. 

 

On 6/7/2017 at 10:58 PM, Fox said:

Notice, Grim: Notice Check: 1d20+13 30

Notice, Dog (mostly paying attention to neat smells, acute, tracking olfactory, and such): Notice Check: 1d20+10 13 (boo, dog!)

 

The dog by the front door serves mostly to relay interesting information to Grim via Mental Link...and to mildly weird out the designated authority figures.

 

There are a lot of odd marks about. Most of them are on the desk, though. 

 

Between Grim and Reagent, they'll notice the marks look an awful lot like ones a strong metal blade might make in wood (or wood-like material, as the case may be).

Share this post


Link to post

Merlin's gonna go for the computer and see if he can work a little monkey magic on it. Raina will use Diplomacy to intercede on his behalf if the techs get weird about it. She's got a +11 in that, Merlin has a Computers and a Craft Electronics of +18 with Skill Mastery. I'll roll for him if he needs to get higher than a 28. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/7/2017 at 9:08 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

Woodsman hits a DC 27 Notice. 

Alright, so, he's out in the hallway?

Spoiler

Woodsman will notice a groove in the wall that turns out to be a hole; something sliced into the drywall, and it looks like it hit the stud and sank in about an inch. Clean in-and-out, some kind of pointed, bladed item. Arrow or knife, maybe? Looking at where the hole is, he can be pretty sure it lines up with roughly the middle of the broken window in the study, as the hole is right across from the study/office's door. 

 

 

On 6/7/2017 at 10:58 PM, Fox said:

Notice, Grim: Notice Check: 1d20+13 30

Notice, Dog (mostly paying attention to neat smells, acute, tracking olfactory, and such): Notice Check: 1d20+10 13 (boo, dog!)

 

The dog by the front door serves mostly to relay interesting information to Grim via Mental Link...and to mildly weird out the designated authority figures.

The officer is mildly weirded, but has also Seen Things. He may be offering coffee to the dog. 

Spoiler

The Dogs will pick up a trace of something, but they can't pin it down yet. They might be able to recognize it again, especially if they get a stronger trace? They smell Something, but who knows what the Thing is. 

 

Grim himself sees the slash marks and stuff, they're more around the desk and window side than the door. The door frame on the inside has a few marks that look like small blades hit and sunk in a bit, then were pulled out smoothly. The desk is pretty chopped up in a few places, those marks are deeper. Lots of crushed pieces of glass near the window, no blood. 

Some of the crushed pieces are almost ground to powder, but some are more like they just cracked further after landing on the ground, as if a lighter weight pressed on them. 

 

 

On 6/7/2017 at 11:49 PM, Gizmo said:

Notice Check: 1d20+5 25

 

Notice ALL the things! Fred also has ranks in Investigate and Search as well, when there's a chance to use them.

 

On 6/8/2017 at 3:25 PM, Gizmo said:

Investigate Check: 1d20+10 28

Search Check: 1d20+10 24

 

Behold Winifred's powers of deduction!

SO MANY THINGS.

 

Spoiler

Consulting with the others, Winifred can deduce that somebody either threw a heavy blade of some sort through the window, or perhaps fired an arrow, to initially break it. This was followed up with the intruders using their bodies (presumably protected by good armor or the like, as there is no blood) to break in further. There were 2 pieces of glass with a couple of black threads on them, perhaps caught as the mysterious intruders entered? 

 

The marks on the door frame and the bookshelf seem random, but aren't deep enough for pure destruction. Potentially part of an intimidation effort to keep the homeowners out?

The desk was definitely sliced more intentionally, to open the drawers up. There are definitely a few files missing, the way the folders are resting, but obviously it's difficult to tell what they were. 

Interestingly, the window frame area has marks that look like blades, but move almost like a heavy piece of cloth...

 

The glass patterns that Grim noticed indicated that there was one larger, heavier, and/or more careless intruder, and 2-4 who walked very lightly, either by dint of size/weight, or sheer training. She's not 100% sure which, maybe both. 

 

 

12 hours ago, Electra said:

Merlin's gonna go for the computer and see if he can work a little monkey magic on it. Raina will use Diplomacy to intercede on his behalf if the techs get weird about it. She's got a +11 in that, Merlin has a Computers and a Craft Electronics of +18 with Skill Mastery. I'll roll for him if he needs to get higher than a 28. 

Spoiler

The tech who'd been poking at the computer is pretty skeptical, but lets Merlin through after she convinces him a bit. He'll stand back and watch.

 

Merlin can determine that the broken port was a heavy-duty USB that got yanked out. It was solid enough that the port broke with the yanking, but it didn't. 

The computer is heavily encrypted, but whatever these thieves did, it seemed to break some of the encryption, enough to open several files and folders. Those files are actually incomplete, but there are some reference numbers in hexadecimal that look pretty similar to those file folders in the desk.

What Merlin can get out of them is that they're connected to an up-and-coming tech firm. The same firm that owns both the office in the high-rise Downtown, and the warehouse out toward the docks. And the components that the files accessed indicate...they're high-tech but it's hard to say yet what purpose they might serve. Probably not something to make a big boom? Merlin might be able to piece together more if he had access to the servers and databases at the office, assuming they'd either let him in or he could slip in. But per what he sees on here, that's something he'd have to do at the office itself; those files are on a closed, protected, encrypted, off-line system. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Grim!

Notice Check: 1d20+13 23

 

Grim's Dog, on Notice duty! On the hunt for dog-type things, and neat smells.

Notice Check: 1d20+10 20

 

He'll probably back Woodsman up on that Intimidate, posts allowing, but his dogs are scarier than he is...so instead of them aiding him, for once he'll aid them!

Grim: Aid Other (Intimidate), DC10: 1d20+12 15

Aw, barely made it. +2 to their check, at least, for making the DC10.

 

Dogs: Intimidate Check (Aided +2): 1d20+17+2 22

Good lord. That's improbably bad.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, considering this guy is literally just a white-collar office worker, and thus probably like PL1...I'll roll in case of a Nat 20. I gave him +2 for Sense Motive (which can counter Intimidate). He got 15. So he's gonna be intimidated.

The cop's reaction will depend on how you two go about this. 

Share this post


Link to post

Sparkler has: 

http://orokos.com/roll/530152 = 28 on her Bluff 

http://orokos.com/roll/530153 = 14 on her Diplomacy 

http://orokos.com/roll/530154 = 19 on her Notice 

 

Merlin's Skill Masteries are impressive! 

His dierolls are below

http://orokos.com/roll/530155 = 25 on his Notice! 

http://orokos.com/roll/530156 = 29 on his Search! 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/26/2017 at 11:08 PM, Avenger Assembled said:

Okay, let's post. 

 

DC 27 Notice

 

19 Intimidate, 26 Search

 

I'll hold off an IC post till I get the OOC results! 

 

 

Right, here we go! 

 

Spoiler

Looking around, Woodsman's going to notice the damage in the lobby looks an awful lot like what they saw at the house. It seems to all drive toward the elevator bank, which looks to have a door to a stairway as well. So, maybe whoever did this made a hard run for the upper levels?

 

On 6/27/2017 at 9:45 PM, Fox said:

Grim!

Notice Check: 1d20+13 23

 

Grim's Dog, on Notice duty! On the hunt for dog-type things, and neat smells.

Notice Check: 1d20+10 20

 

He'll probably back Woodsman up on that Intimidate, posts allowing, but his dogs are scarier than he is...so instead of them aiding him, for once he'll aid them!

Grim: Aid Other (Intimidate), DC10: 1d20+12 15

Aw, barely made it. +2 to their check, at least, for making the DC10.

 

Dogs: Intimidate Check (Aided +2): 1d20+17+2 22

Good lord. That's improbably bad.

Spoiler

Dogs smell the same stuff as at the house. They are very sure it's the same scent. Not quite strong enough to actively track, and it's actually a blend of a few scents, but they're sure they've got it and know they can recognize it again. 

 

Grim sees something sticking out of the receptionist's desk....

 

 

On 6/29/2017 at 11:25 PM, Gizmo said:

Winifred ignores office worker guy because there's investigative science to be done!

 

Investigate Check: 1d20+10 13

Notice Check: 1d20+5 16

Search Check: 1d20+10 28

 

Spoiler

With Grim's help, Reagent finds a throwing knife stuck in the desk. The blade is not too thick, has a straight, simple handle, and a blade that looks like an elongated diamond. More looking about finds another one of those stuck in the wall near the elevators. 

 

 

23 hours ago, Avenger Assembled said:

Sparkler has: 

http://orokos.com/roll/530152 = 28 on her Bluff 

http://orokos.com/roll/530153 = 14 on her Diplomacy 

http://orokos.com/roll/530154 = 19 on her Notice 

 

Merlin's Skill Masteries are impressive! 

His dierolls are below

http://orokos.com/roll/530155 = 25 on his Notice! 

http://orokos.com/roll/530156 = 29 on his Search! 

 

 

 

 

 

Spoiler

Things are smoothed over with the cops! 

 

Merlin notices a weird pattern of cuts in the wall next to the stairway. A closer look shows that it's like the odd, almost flowing cuts they found at the house. He also finds a few bits of black fiber wrapped around a sliver of glass near the lobby entry. Perhaps someone stepped on glass at the house, and a bit of it stayed with them? It's not the same-looking as the glass on the ground outside, that's for sure. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×