I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings [OOC]

Heridfel

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unusually for Blackstone, there is a full suit of Super-Max armor here as well as several of the standard Max suits. (The Super-Max suits are usually only deployed for emergencies, but this one was on-site to do some emergency training with Blackstone's guards.) In addition to the standard super-prison gear of body armor and powerful tasers, this also seems to be the section for various types of weapons-grade contraband designed by the prisoners. And oh my, there is an embarrassment of riches!

You've got the Huckster's rocket pogo stick, a homemade version of Looking Glass' mirror arsenal, and a vast panoply of other goodies!

..... Dr. Archeville will need a new change of pants.

Questions!

Question the first: I would assume that the MAX Armor's Protection would replace his Lab Coat's Protection, but would his Force Field still work/add to his total Toughness? Protection 9 + Force Field 6 = Toughness +15?

Question the second: since this is going to be a temporary thing, will I be permitted to bypass PL caps? (Toughness 15 + Defense 8 = 23 = PL 12 in terms of defense/toughness, but at this point Doc was PL 10.)

Question the third: Can we say there's a jail-made -- and so not as potent -- version of Mad Maple's Ice Staff aboot (er, about)?

Ich bin Eisenmann!

PL 10 Doc + Super-Max Armor + some of Looking Glass's Mirrors (the Visual Illusion 10, 50-ft. radius one) + jailhouse Mad Maple's Winter Wand (Cold Control 10, APs: Blast 10, Alt Save/Fort Blast 6, Ranged Fatigue 6, Knockback Trip 10)

His PL 10 Gravimetric Belt is

Device 7 (gravimetric belt; hard to lose; 35 points). 28pp.

Flight 4 (100 mph / 1,000 feet move; PFs: 2 Alternate Powers, Instant Up, Move-By Action) [12]

AP: Sustained Immovability 10

AP: Teleport 4 (400 ft./1 mile; PFs: Change Direction, Change Velocity)

Force Field 8 (Extras: Impervious 6, Linked Sustained Immunity 7 [cold, heat, high pressure, radiation, suffocation effects, vacuum]; PFs: 1 Alternate Power, Selective) [23]

AP: Force Field 6 (Extras: Linked Concealment 6 [all radio and all visual; PF: Close Range; Flaw: Blending], Linked Sustained Immunity 7 [cold, heat, high pressure, radiation, suffocation effects, vacuum]; PFs: Selective, Subtle)

Super-MAX Armor is

Communication 4 (radio, 1 mile)

Energy Blast 9 (2 APs)

AP: Dazzle 9 (visual)

AP: Snare 9

Enhanced Strength 10 (to 20/+5)

Immunity 9 (life-support)

Protection 9 (Impervious)

Super-Senses 1 (low-light vision)

Super-Strength 4 (total effective Str 40, Hvy Load 3 tons)

Hook the Belt to the armor, set it to Cloaking Field... I'm a Ghost! (With Toughness 15, Impervious 9; Knockback -12)

Setting Gadgets to boost the Super-MAX weapons array: Enhanced Blast 2, giving

Energy Blast 11 (2 APs)

AP: Dazzle 11 (visual)

AP: Snare 11

That'll do, pig. That'll do.

• 3 weeks later...

Initiatives & Conditions

20A -- White Knight -- Unharmed

20B -- Goons -- All Unharmed

6 -- Doc -- 2 HP -- Unharmed

Using Extra Effort to stunt something off his main Blast power

Blast 11 (Extra: Targeted 55-ft. Burst Area; Flaw: Distracting)

Which should be big enough to get everyone in the room. I am, of course, only targeting the Bad Guys.

And using an HP to nix the fatigue.

I make one attack roll, vs. all their defenses.

(23:08:07) FreedomBot: Dr_Archeville rolls 1d20 and gets 3.

HP to re-roll

(23:09:10) FreedomBot: Dr_Archeville rolls 1d20 and gets 16.

16+4* = 20

* Normally +8 attack, -4 penalty for firing into melee to make sure he doesn't hit the hostages they're holding/grappling.

And those who are holding/grappling hostages are effectively flat-footed.

Those hit -- and I think that may be everyone -- needs to make a DC 26 Toughness save.

But b/c his blast was Distracting, Doc is now flat-footed! And with 0 Hero Points!

(00:15:21) Dr_Archeville: (whispers to AvengerAssembled) I thought the Goons with White Knight were Mooks?

(00:16:40) AvengerAssembled: (whispers) Well, it

(00:17:29) AvengerAssembled: (whispers) 's a super-prison, so I thought they needed a little teeth. They're not a serious threat (they can't break through Archeville's current Impervious Toughness).

(00:18:29) Dr_Archeville: (whispers to AvengerAssembled) hrm, this will considerably change my plans :P

(00:18:42) AvengerAssembled: (whispers) I'll give you another HP to make them! :D

So Doc now has 2 HPs.

And six supercriminals.

Okay, tentative plan: this version of Doc's belt has Flight 4 (100 mph / 1,000 feet move; PFs: 2 Alternate Powers, Instant Up, Move-By Action).

Standard Action to create multiple illusionary Docs, a half dozen. And some free action taunting (but not Taunting). Maintaining static illusions is a free action, so they can remain without any concentration on Doc's part.

HP to surge to gain another Standard action.

Move + Standard action (and Move-By Action feat) for the real Cloaked Doc to fly out, grab/grapple Warden, lower him safely to ground, free action to babble, then fly back up to be back level with baddies.

That work?

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, nevermind, I'll say he did de-cloak and put his stronger force field up on his way back to White Knight. ;)

Will save to resist Startle... 12! So Doc's now effectively flat-footed vs. White Knight next round.

But it might not matter if he KO's White Knight this round! Does 25 hit? If so, that calls for a DC 26 Toughness save.

Doc has 1 HP now.

• 2 weeks later...

Knight's 18 just manages to hit Doc.

Toughness save (v. DC 26 fiery Blast) = 27! Not a singe!

But the flash of flame could obscure Doc just long enough for him to switch back on his Cloaking Field, becoming invisible.... and mysteeeerious!

So now invisi-Doc moves a bit, and then... Combo Attack!

Ranged Fatigue 6 (from Mad Maple's Winter Wand)

and (after spending that new HP to nix the fatigue of extra effort/surging)

Snare 11 (from Electromagnetic Screwdriver-boosted Super-MAX armor)

But can he hit, even though his attacks should be a surprise attack (and so White Knight's flat-footed and has an additional -2 to defense)? Fittingly, both attacks are the same: 22.

So now Knight has to make a DC 16 Fortitude save vs. the Fatigue, then a DC 21 Reflex save vs. the Snare. Which may be harder for him, depending on how his save vs. the Fatigue effect goes.

Okay, WK got a 15 on the Fort save, which failed the DC 16 by 1. He's Fatigued: -2 Str, -2 Dex, -1 Attack, -1 Defense, and he can't move all-out.

More importantly, WK got an 8 on his Reflex save, which failed the DC 21 by 13. Failure by 5+ means the target is "bound and helpless" (but also gains cover from the snare).

Helpless: Sleeping, bound, paralyzed or unconscious characters are helpless. Enemies can make advantageous attacks against helpless characters, or even deliver a coup de grace. A melee attack against a helpless character is at a +4 bonus on the attack roll (equivalent to attacking a prone target). A helpless character loses any dodge bonus and takes a –9 penalty to Defense against attacks from adjacent opponents, and a –5 penalty to Defense against ranged attacks.

Problem: as he pointed out, he can still do his Burst Area Blast (centered on himself) to injure the hostages.

Solution: Negate WK's powers, KO him, or remove him from the area.

Could

A) use Cold Control from Mad Maple's Prison-Made Winter Wand to counter his fiery Blast.

B) Blast/coup de grace him (DC 31 Toughness, then DC 26 Fortitude), hoping he rolls low enough it KOs him.

C) grab him (with the Super-MAX armor he has an effective Str of 40, easily enough) and fly out the window. (But what if he's readied to go off when touched?!)

D) grab him and teleport away (though that's require re-jiggering his teleportation ability to add some Progression to carry the extra weight).

B & C both looks good.